Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Rovers fan auctioning off penalty spot

Read 1864 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Jun 01, 2011 03:47:41 pm

A Blackburn Rovers fan is selling the penalty spot from which Wayne Rooney clinched Man Utd's 19th league title, on eBay.

Wayne Rooney
      GettyImagesWayne Rooney slots home from the spot.

Rooney dispatched the spot-kick to earn United a 1-1 draw at Ewood Park and seal top spot in the league in the process and now Rovers fan Eddie Maxwell will be auctioning off the piece of football history to the highest bidder.

"At first I was just thinking of taking the centre spot because any Rovers fan would be interested in that but then after the Manchester United match I wanted the penalty spot as well," Maxwell told the Lancashire Telegraph. ''It is a piece of football history - maybe Rooney would be interested in buying it. I just thought this was a great way to help the club."

The club allowed Maxwell to dig up the turf, as a new pitch is being laid at Ewood Park this summer. "I just thought, if you don't ask you don't get," he added. "They were happy for me to take it because it was all being dug up anyway."

Maxwell will use the money to raise funds for his Sunday league side, King Edward Guide FC, with the bid standing at £18,100 at the time of writing.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/925135/blackburn-rovers-fan-auctioning-off-penalty-spot?cc=5739

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wayne-Rooney-penalty-spot-Ewood-Park-Blackburn-Rovers-/250828149905?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item3a6685d491

It's going for at least £999,999 pounds at the moment. Wtf!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Rovers fan auctioning off penalty spot
      Reply #1: Jun 01, 2011 03:50:32 pm
      Crazy world! eBay is legally binding is it not?

£1m for a sod, bought by a rich sod!
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2: Jun 01, 2011 03:52:14 pm
      Well in Eddie Maxwell, opportunistic man!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Jun 01, 2011 03:53:52 pm
      Some bogus bids on there.
      Already being retracted from 999,999
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      Reply #4: Jun 01, 2011 04:00:51 pm
      Some bogus bids on there.
      Already being retracted from 999,999

Bogus?
      As with a lot of private sellers on eBay I get a little more than annoyed when people win items and then refuse to pay (for whatever reason). Under UK law when someone wins something on eBay they form a legally binding contract to purchase that item. This if needed can be enforced very easilly and at minimal cost. For example recently I listed my car on eBay, the car had an engine fault so I described it as having a large clicking sound and said that I thought it was serious but the bidders SHOULD inspect BEFORE bidding. As per normal on eBay none did and the car was sold at £1550. A guy then came to view the car, after 5 minutes said 'no sorry I do not want it' it is more of a knocking than clicking. I told him that I had had enough of non-payers on eBay and that I may take action to enforce his bid, he should have inspected the car, asked me a question or even asked me to send the noise in an email, he said 'sue me' so I did and less that a week later he collected the car and paid £1670 (£120 court fee) and this is how I did it.

Firstly tell the person in writing either by email or letter that if they do not pay for the item you will issue a summons, then if they do not pay go to...    Money Claim Online (Seach in Google as eBay will not let me display the link) this is run by the government and is a simple way of issueing a county court summons. You have to pay a fee (from £30 up depending on amount claimed) that is added to the summons. 72 hours later the summons lands on the buyers doorstep and then 95% of people pay straight away in fear of court. If they do not then simply request a court date (this again is done online) you go to the court on your allocated day (solicitors costs not allowed) and fight your case. There is one simple fact to remember, the buyer had formed a legally binding contract to purchase the item, PERIOD. Even if they argue what is for sale was different than described or spec etc. they have no rights to use that as a defence (Claims that the item is 'not fit for purpose etc is only dealt with by Trading Standards and the OFT, not the court) Under UK law they must (100%) complete the contract. Any court in the land has to follow this principle and find in your favor. Once they have paid and received the goods they could then reject the goods as 'not fit for purpose' etc but they have to have evidence.

I have used this now 4 times and won each and every time, only 1 went to court and the defence was chucked out. I discovered this when I was taken to court by a fellow member for not completing on a £50 item, I refused to add the Paypal surcharge of 5% that the seller had added, I claimed to the court that it was against eBay rules, they found against me and forced me to pay (legal contract!) even though it was against eBay policy to add a surcharge (I should not have bid!) This was the one and only time I refused to pay for an item as I thought it wrong about the surcharge, thus I discovered that it was an irrelevant defence.

For those of us who describe correctly and get annoyed at 'tyre kickers' this is the answer, it is easy and will work.

Advise for all buyers on eBay, remember your bid is a contract and is easilly enforcable, only bid if you intend to buy.

I have had a great time on eBay and I look after everyone that buys and sells with me, however I am one that does not get taken for rides, I use the law and so should everyone!

Good Luck all, I hope this was of use to you.
      http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/LEGAL-ADVICE-REGARDS-BUYING-AND-SELLING_W0QQugidZ10000000001449898
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Jun 01, 2011 04:10:23 pm
      s***d( 104)   Retracted: £999,999.00
      Explanation:Entered wrong amount   Bid:01-Jun-11 14:13:58 BST
      Retracted: 01-Jun-11 14:42:17 BST
         a***m( 19)   Retracted: £999,999.00
      Explanation:Entered wrong amount   Bid:01-Jun-11 14:13:38 BST
      Retracted: 01-Jun-11 14:25:43 BST
         l***-( 89)   Retracted: £900,001.00
      Explanation:Entered wrong amount   Bid:01-Jun-11 14:12:32 BST
      Retracted: 01-Jun-11 14:18:35 BST
         a***l( 90)   Retracted: £1,000,000.00
      Explanation:Entered wrong amount   Bid:01-Jun-11 16:08:11 BST
      Retracted: 01-Jun-11 16:09:46 BST
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #6: Jun 01, 2011 04:13:29 pm
      Have a feeling they were messing to see if it could go that high so they put in 999,999 and became to winning bidder, so they quickly retracted it as "entered wrong amount".
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Jun 01, 2011 04:32:38 pm
      Flippin' heck....I wouldn't pay a penny for that  :o
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #8: Jun 01, 2011 05:29:57 pm
      Rooney should buy it and put it on his big fat mallet.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #9: Jun 02, 2011 10:14:09 am
      Man Utd FC are buying this for their museum...
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #10: Jun 02, 2011 12:00:57 pm
      Hahahahahahahahha eBay is about as legally binding as a handshake.

Trust me, i made a living off eBay for a number of years, buyers dont have to pay for something they have 'won'
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #11: Jun 03, 2011 01:39:40 am
      Price is down to 160k. 104 bids were retracted, ;D.

Retracted: £1,000,000.00
      Explanation:Entered wrong amount    
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #12: Jun 07, 2011 12:09:06 am
      Just went to have a look and see what is was on, gone down even further now to £12,300. The only auction on eBay to be going down rather than up in price?!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Jun 07, 2011 01:06:49 am
      Wow.

Pathetic thing to be sold, and pathetic people getting someone's hopes up then dashing them.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      Reply #14: Jun 07, 2011 01:15:57 pm
      Down to £6,101.

Now this may be due to some simple gardening problems.

The grass may be now dead if not cared for and may need re-seeding, (oh the irony) or

It is still alive, and now needs cutting, the "new" grass left, is not actually the original grass.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #15: Jun 07, 2011 01:48:40 pm
      Feel sorry for the local team who are getting the money who thought they were gonna get a load more than they will be now.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 07, 2011 10:10:10 pm
      Im going to buy it and my dog can sh*t on it everyday

Quick Reply