Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would win in a fight?

Ra Ra Rafa
      (28.6%)
      Richobaz
      (14.3%)
      The Handbag
      (57.1%)

The spine of the Liverpool team

Read 12025 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      The spine of the Liverpool team
      Aug 22, 2007 12:02:55 pm
      Pepe Reina, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard & Fernando Torres.

These four players I belive are the only untouchables in the Liverpool squad. They pick their own places in the line up! And then you build your team around them!

Anyone agree?
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Re: The spine of the Liverpool team
      Reply #1: Aug 22, 2007 12:09:24 pm
      It's too early to say Torres is untouchable.
      I'd say the other 3 are definitely untouchable....
      Though Agger, Mascherano and Finnan are also quite close IMO....
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Aug 22, 2007 12:13:52 pm
      It's too early to say Torres is untouchable.
      I'd say the other 3 are definitely untouchable....
      Though Agger, Mascherano and Finnan are also quite close IMO....

Close but not untouchable!

Finnan would be but he's ageing
      Agger definitely not, he can improve so much
      Mascherano I think is the closest but we have to secure him on a permanent deal first

As for Torres yes I think he is untouchable, the last striker that scored a goal like that for Liverpool was Michael Owen
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Aug 22, 2007 12:14:52 pm
      Pepe Reina, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard & Fernando Torres.

These four players I belive are the only untouchables in the Liverpool squad. They pick their own places in the line up! And then you build your team around them!

Anyone agree?

I completely agree with you mate.  Although Torres has not been established as of yet - but fully agree with Torres.

I think (not just because he stuck one in the net against the Chavs) we have found the goalscoring quality in Fernando, that we have lacked since Robbie went to Leeds, and when Michael Owen pulled a fast one on us.

May I also add that Steve Finnan should be in the spine here.  I know your not agreeing on this because of his age.  But he is one of the most consistant performers in the side - if not the best.

Alonso must pick up some form to complete the spine.
      « Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 12:17:18 pm by Court LFC »
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #4: Aug 22, 2007 12:30:40 pm
      I still don't believe Torres is a goalscorer as such.
      His record and his style of play indicates more of a playmaking striker, and I highly doubt he'll break 20 league goals for a few years at least....
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Aug 22, 2007 12:37:01 pm
      I still don't believe Torres is a goalscorer as such.
      His record and his style of play indicates more of a playmaking striker, and I highly doubt he'll break 20 league goals for a few years at least....

Agree with you there mate, his finish against Chelsea was class, but I still wouldn't expect to see that every week from him. He's very good at getting himself the opportunities, but his conversion ratio still leaves a lot to be desired. I don't see him being in the Rush, Fowler or Owen mould in the way that he'll only need one or two chances to get a goal, but I can see him creating a lot more opportunities for himself than those guys ever did & not being so reliant on service.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #6: Aug 22, 2007 12:45:21 pm
      He's no fox in the box but however I think he'll help us score a lot more goals than usual. When he runs with the ball he attracts 2, 3 players to tackle him which might just open up the play for his team mates.

kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Aug 22, 2007 12:51:05 pm
      I would agree with Pepe,Carra and Stevie but Agger should be in the list aswell,Torres isnt untoyuchable yet but he will be by the end of the season.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2007 12:52:43 pm
      Agree with you there mate, his finish against Chelsea was class, but I still wouldn't expect to see that every week from him. He's very good at getting himself the opportunities, but his conversion ratio still leaves a lot to be desired. I don't see him being in the Rush, Fowler or Owen mould in the way that he'll only need one or two chances to get a goal, but I can see him creating a lot more opportunities for himself than those guys ever did & not being so reliant on service.

That's why I think we should pair him up with a striker in the Rush/Fowler/Owen mould...Huntelaar...Obi Martins...?
      Kuyt would do if he ever found his shooting touch from Feyeonoord. :D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2007 12:58:29 pm
      That's why I think we should pair him up with a striker in the Rush/Fowler/Owen mould...Huntelaar...Obi Martins...?
      Kuyt would do if he ever found his shooting touch from Feyeonoord. :D

Kuyt will find his touch again! Playing in his preferred position will allow him to do the things he did at Feyenoord, and now he is more accustomed to the quicker pace than the Dutch league it will make it happen!
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2007 01:00:34 pm
      Isn't football funny!

Torres scores a great goal and he can now be considered a 'Spine' player.  He could now go 5 games without scoring and he's not!

I like what I've seen.  This is my spine:

Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger, Gerrard.

All the others can be chopped and changed - as they will!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2007 01:13:08 pm
      Isn't football funny!

Torres scores a great goal and he can now be considered a 'Spine' player.  He could now go 5 games without scoring and he's not!

Good point Richobaz I think we have to wait until at least Christmas before we start referring to him as a spine player.  Voronin has scored more goals if you include pre-season and I think if he plays many more matches we will see a decent conversion rate from him so surely he is more of a spine player than Torres is, but still as I said it's too early to tell maybe he's just having a good spell and will be s**t for the rest of the season.

My spine of the team is as follows

Reina, Carra, Gerrard, Pennant, Crouchy
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2007 01:13:20 pm
      Isn't football funny!

I don't consider him as a spine player because he scored a great goal, I consider him as a spine player because he has great play and I believe he's a class ahead of all our other strikers! That goal he scored wasn't a fluke, it was pure brilliance! Coincidence to the €30m price tag? Definitely not, the boys got class!
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #13: Aug 22, 2007 01:19:04 pm
      A spine player is someone who can't be replaced - first name on the sheet.

Those will be Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger and Gerrard.  Obviously for the time being Torres is on that list...and I hope he stays there.  But you never know in Footy.

This spine topic has made me start to worry...why haven't we got more spine players I.E. players you just can't leave out!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #14: Aug 22, 2007 01:28:30 pm
      The thing is you can leave out Daniel Agger! He's still young and has a lot to learn! Good defender he is but has a lot to learn for that mature role he plays in!

You can't leave Torres out, thats my opinion anyway but I believe he makes a good target man, he is a danger man to the opposition and thats something we've lacked in the past since Michael Owen left!

Ok lets give it a few more games but I'm confident I won't be mistaken.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #15: Aug 22, 2007 01:31:59 pm
      The thing is you can leave out Daniel Agger! He's still young and has a lot to learn! Good defender he is but has a lot to learn for that mature role he plays in!

You can't leave Torres out, thats my opinion anyway but I believe he makes a good target man, he is a danger man to the opposition and thats something we've lacked in the past since Michael Owen left!

Ok lets give it a few more games but I'm confident I won't be mistaken.

Ra Ra - you can't leave Agger out - there's no one to replace him...or do you want Hyppia to be in your spine?

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #16: Aug 22, 2007 01:35:53 pm
      Ra Ra - you can't leave Agger out - there's no one to replace him...or do you want Hyppia to be in your spine?

Agger can be replaced by Hyypia in certain games.. therefore he's NOT untouchable! It doesn't matter what important game will be played but I guarantee you if they are not injured you'll always see Reina, Carra, Gerrard and a good possibility Torres! Say we are playing Bolton, I think Hyypia could be chosen to play ahead of Agger!
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #17: Aug 22, 2007 01:44:06 pm
      Agger can be replaced by Hyypia in certain games.. therefore he's NOT untouchable! It doesn't matter what important game will be played but I guarantee you if they are not injured you'll always see Reina, Carra, Gerrard and a good possibility Torres! Say we are playing Bolton, I think Hyypia could be chosen to play ahead of Agger!

I don't understand your logic mate.

Of course in some games the squad will change...Gerrard will be dropped for either Sissoko, Alonso or Masch - but he's still a spine player!

Hyppia is now a back-up player - he will never be first choice.  So you have to look at what is available and that is Carra and Agger at Central defence - meaning they are the 'Spine'!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #18: Aug 22, 2007 01:51:00 pm
      Mate the only time Gerrard will be dropped is when Rafa thinks he's in need of a rest... or maybe if we are playing some nothing team in the Carling Cup!

The spine of the team means the players which are untouchable! Doesn't matter who we buy, Reina, Carra and Stevie will always be in the spine of our team! We build the team around those three players, maybe four if Torres can prove himself to be an untouchable!

We were going to buy Heinze, for left back? I think for centre back and I think he would of got more than a few games from Agger place in the team!

Have I made myself clear?

Oh crap I didn't want my 1000th post to be in a reply to you!!!
      « Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 01:55:57 pm by Ra Ra Rafa »
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #19: Aug 22, 2007 01:54:29 pm
      Heinze was going to be bought for Left back.....Providing a defensive contrast to Riise/Aurelio, as Arbeloa is primarily a RB.....Heinze was also meant to be a BACKUP to CB in case of injuries.

But anyway, Agger is as close to being part of spine as Torres.
      We paid a record amount for a defender, and its paying off- He's a very strong defender, and smart....with a decent shot on him too.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #20: Aug 22, 2007 01:55:24 pm
      No - you're not clear at all!

Your spine (i now hate this word) consists of the players you have.  Why are you talking about if we sign someone.

Ok - if we sign Buffon - then Reina may not be the spine!  So your point makes no sense.

If we sign henry and eto, then torres will not be the spine

Ra Ra - you've turned this into a pointless argument.  I think I've had one of these with you before!
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #21: Aug 22, 2007 02:08:12 pm
      Spine players - Carra, Pepe, Stevie and Torres... We have to consider Torres as one, even at this stage. We didnt exactly get him on a free and despite his conversion rate, he comes highly rated, coveted by quite a few clubs. (please let him not do a Cisse)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #22: Aug 22, 2007 02:09:26 pm
      No - you're not clear at all!

Your spine (I now hate this word) consists of the players you have.  Why are you talking about if we sign someone.

Ok - if we sign Buffon - then Reina may not be the spine!  So your point makes no sense.

If we sign henry and eto, then torres will not be the spine

Ra Ra - you've turned this into a pointless argument.  I think I've had one of these with you before!

I don't think you've got the point! Your confusing me and confusing yourself! I am now totally lost! Thanks mate!

I'll start again.. with the 'current' squad we have you start like this

.......................R eina
      ??.??......Carragher...??.??.......??.??
      ??.??.......Gerrard....??.??.......??.??
      ................??.??......Torres

They are the first on the teamsheet everyweek! They pick themselfs... and then Rafa should decide on who to pick in the remaining positions.

Reina - Has no competition! Carragher - Has no competition! Gerrard - Has no competition! Torres - Has no competition!

RB - Finnan vs Arbeloa.. I fancy Finnan most times, nearly the spine but the age might say otherwise!
      CB - Agger vs Hyypia - To say a young Agger has no competition from a legend is stupid
      LB - Riise vs Aurelio - Not much in these two, I've seen them rotated many times
      RM - Pennant vs Benayoun - Again not much in it, you won't see them play 50 games a season each
      DM - Mascherano vs Alonso - Its between these two for that DM role, they have competition between themselves
      LM - Babel vs Kewell - Injury prone vs new boy, they have to win a place in the team
      FW - Kuyt vs Voronin vs Crouch - These three have nothing on Torres in terms of ability, so they must battle it out!

Now I hope I've cleared things up!

Quick Reply