Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would win in a fight?

Ra Ra Rafa
      (28.6%)
      Richobaz
      (14.3%)
      The Handbag
      (57.1%)

The spine of the Liverpool team

Read 12071 times
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Re: The spine of the Liverpool team
      Reply #46: Aug 22, 2007 05:06:39 pm
      A debate involves speaking of your opinions! You disagree but at the end of the day, no-one is wrong! ;)

Our important games? Weigh them up over the past few seasons! Have those players been on the team sheet as soon as the match came along?

For example, Mascherano was played in the CL Final in Athens because of Kaka's creativity! As soon as he was brought off, the whole game ran away from us! Just because it is an important match does not justify the choosing of certain players!
      What?

Who's mentioned Macherano!

In all our important games, Reina, Finnan, Agger and Gerrard have played.  So I'm the winner!
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #47: Aug 22, 2007 05:08:01 pm
      Priesty10 - I won't lose this one - as you're all wrong!

Ra Ra's argument was Torres cost £30 million, so he's must be the spine of the pool?  Do you agree with that?  If you do then let's look at the Chavs:

Shevchenko - £30
      Ballack - £20m
      Need I go on?

The spine of the team, is a team that picks itself. week in week out.

At this moment in time:

Reina, Carragher, Agger, Gerrard and Torres (for the time being) - pick themselves.

I'll bet with you that these players figure more this season than any of the others.

Arbeloa - will not take Finnan's place
      Hyppia - will not take Aggers place

Can't help myself - I'm one sicko!

If hes saying because of his price then yeah I agree with you, that doesnt mean he's gonna be part of the spine but he is sooner or later, he's gonna be the spearhead of the attck in which other players are bought in to play of him then Ra Ra right, IMO he probably will be sooner or later but its still abit to early for that.

As Reepicheep has said its the back bone of the team ie

Renia
      Carra
      Stevie!!!

they dictate how we play and how others around then paly!! (thats why there the spine of the team!!)

If Finnan plays poorly the team isnt gonna suffer as much as if carra plays poorly......

They are the focal point/heartbeat of the team!!!
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #48: Aug 22, 2007 05:11:15 pm
      When you look at Chelsea's spending though, those prices are nothing special compared to the rest of their squad.

Oh, and Ballack was signed on a free.
      You're just being Mr Know it all again aren't you.

Those players are world class players though - and therefore should make up the spine.  I.E Torres!

If hes saying because of his price then yeah I agree with you, that doesnt mean he's gonna be part of the spine but he is sooner or later, he's gonna be the spearhead of the attck in which other players are bought in to play of him then Ra Ra right, IMO he probably will be sooner or later but its still abit to early for that.

As Reepicheep has said its the back bone of the team ie

Renia
      Carra
      Stevie!!!

they dictate how we play and how others around then paly!! (thats why there the spine of the team!!)

If Finnan plays poorly the team isnt gonna suffer as much as if carra plays poorly......

That statement is completely wrong mate - you cannot compare the importance of a position against the other!

That's just complete common sense.  Obviously if a mistake happens in the centre near the goal it's going to be more dangerous than on the touch line.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #49: Aug 22, 2007 05:13:28 pm
      Ok Richobaz you are right and we are all wrong. Sorry to waste your time...
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #50: Aug 22, 2007 05:14:18 pm
      the spine, is the players you'd pick for the important games

Correct. However, the spine of a team is not made up of more than a few players in my opinion. That defeats the purpose of calling them "the spine" of the team.  Reina, Carra and Gerrard are depended on to do their job every game without putting a foot wrong. If they slip up, it's a big deal. Torres is not yet in a position where he is under as much pressure to influence every game like those three.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #51: Aug 22, 2007 05:15:09 pm
      What?

Who's mentioned Macherano!

In all our important games, Reina, Finnan, Agger and Gerrard have played.  So I'm the winner!

Last seasons games:

Man Utd away - Agger didn't play
      Arsenal away - Agger didn't play
      Arsenal home - Finnan didn't play
      Chelsea away (CL) - Finnan didn't play

This is only going by games against the other 'big three' and top European sides. I'm sure if I was to extend the search to games against the likes of Tottenham, Newcastle, Blackburn & Portsmouth, all important games, there would be more of them missing. The ones that won't, unless they were injured, is Reina, Carragher & Gerrard.

Flawed argument.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #52: Aug 22, 2007 05:16:26 pm
      Ok Richobaz you are right and we are all wrong. Sorry to waste your time...
      You haven't wasted my time - and without me 'bumping' your topic you wouldn't be the star you now are!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #53: Aug 22, 2007 05:18:55 pm
      Correct. However, the spine of a team is not made up of more than a few players in my opinion. That defeats the purpose of calling them "the spine" of the team.  Reina, Carra and Gerrard are depended on to do their job every game without putting a foot wrong. If they slip up, it's a big deal. Torres is not yet in a position where he is under as much pressure to influence every game like those three.

I kind of agree with you but Torres is in that posistion where he should be under pressure.

Reina - Expected to keep a clean sheet every game
      Carragher - Expected to run the defence and keep it organised
      Gerrard - Expected to boss the midfield and to keep the whole team running
      Torres - Expected to score the goals, expected to give us extra fire power

Thats why these four in my opinion are the spine of the team!
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #54: Aug 22, 2007 05:19:04 pm

That's what I'm trying to say.

We can all think of specific mistakes by Reina, Carra and by Stevie in big games. You don't even have to think too much to have them replay in your mind. They were dissected by every Liverpool fan, every pundit every newspaper. But when it comes to specific mistakes by Finnan, Arbeloa, Torres, Masherano etc? They make mistakes but because they are not under the same pressure and expectations as the spine of the team, the reaction is different.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #55: Aug 22, 2007 05:22:02 pm
      Last seasons games:

Man Utd away - Agger didn't play
      Arsenal away - Agger didn't play
      Arsenal home - Finnan didn't play
      Chelsea away (CL) - Finnan didn't play

This is only going by games against the other 'big three' and top European sides. I'm sure if I was to extend the search to games against the likes of Tottenham, Newcastle, Blackburn & Portsmouth, all important games, there would be more of them missing. The ones that won't, unless they were injured, is Reina, Carragher & Gerrard.

Flawed argument.

Ed - every game is important - i want a list of all matches last term please!
      Ed - every game is important - I want a list of all matches last term please!

It's been a pleasure debating this topic with you guys...it takes a 'big man' to admit he's wrong - lucky for me, I'm not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      PaintingTheTownRed
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #56: Aug 22, 2007 05:22:29 pm
      Does anyone consider Pennant a pretty certain pick these days? I mean, judging his performances at the back end of last season and the start of this, I don't think Benayoun is going to force his way in there at the moment, and I should think Stevie is back in the middle for good. I'm not his biggest fan but he's certainly earning his starts at the moment.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #57: Aug 22, 2007 05:23:31 pm
      I kind of agree with you but Torres is in that posistion where he should be under pressure.

Yes, but I did say that he is not yet in that position. He will be when he plays every game. When he has settled in. I think it's far too early to give him that kind of pressure.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #58: Aug 22, 2007 05:29:46 pm
      Ed - every game is important - I want a list of all matches last term please!

Then going by your previous statement that your selection of players are the spine as they have played every important game, you would be contradicting yourself as no member of our squad played every game last season.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #59: Aug 22, 2007 05:34:05 pm
      Then going by your previous statement that your selection of players are the spine as they have played every important game, you would be contradicting yourself as no member of our squad played every game last season.

Never contradict - just sometimes wayward with my thoughts...

Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #60: Aug 22, 2007 05:35:05 pm
      Does anyone consider Pennant a pretty certain pick these days?

I think the team that Rafa put out against Villa and Chelsea is the team he will use predominantly this season. I can't see him rotating as much as the last few seasons where he was trying to find the best players in each position. I think he knows what his best 11 is now and Pennant is included in that. Any tinkering from now on will be to exploit weaknesses in the opposition.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #61: Aug 22, 2007 05:44:26 pm
      I think the team that Rafa put out against Villa and Chelsea is the team he will use predominantly this season.

Agreed, but I can see Ryan Babel slowly edging his way past Riise for the left midfield position. But whatever happens between Mascherano and Alonso I only hope one of them is on the pitch at a time, we want the right balance, we want Gerrard in the middle and we want to play a 4-4-2 formation.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #62: Aug 22, 2007 06:29:06 pm
      Agreed, but I can see Ryan Babel slowly edging his way past Riise for the left midfield position. But whatever happens between Mascherano and Alonso I only hope one of them is on the pitch at a time, we want the right balance, we want Gerrard in the middle and we want to play a 4-4-2 formation.

Good post.

This must have to be the most debated topic this week! 

Just read through everything and I can see what everyone is saying.  And I think having a good balance in your side is essential.  And rotation is the key to success to keeping fit throughout the season - but obviously not too much rotation. 
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #63: Aug 22, 2007 06:31:29 pm

Come on Court, don't sit on the fence, who do you think the spine of our team is?
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #64: Aug 22, 2007 06:52:23 pm
      He's going to say Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger, Gerrard and Torres (for now) - it's obvious!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #65: Aug 22, 2007 09:05:33 pm

Come on Court, don't sit on the fence, who do you think the spine of our team is?

Hahaha!

I posted it up on the first page but what the heck...

Reina, Carragher, Agger, Finnan, Gerrard, Kuyt, & Torres

How's that sound? :D

He's going to say Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger, Gerrard and Torres (for now) - it's obvious!

If that was aimed at me,  I didn't even look at your post until I posted!! 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #66: Aug 22, 2007 09:56:09 pm
      Oh crap I didn't want my 1000th post to be in a reply to you!!!

Who would have thought it Ra Ra Rafa with Forum Legend next to his name.  :angel: >:D

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #67: Aug 22, 2007 10:06:24 pm
      Who would have thought it Ra Ra Rafa with Forum Legend next to his name.  :angel: >:D

Just wait until SamCharles gets to his 1000th post!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #68: Aug 22, 2007 10:09:37 pm
      Just wait until SamCharles gets to his 1000th post!

:throw:

Quick Reply