Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Huge risk in signing overpriced English players

Read 8923 times
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Re: Huge risk in signing overpriced English players
      Reply #46: Jun 06, 2011 05:31:37 am
      I hate this whole complaining that we paid 35 million pounds for Carroll bs. Technically we received 15 million plus Carroll for Torres. Henry even said "The price of Carroll dictated the price of Torres to Chelsea."
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #47: Jun 06, 2011 05:44:57 am
      We've set a dangerous precedent by paying £35M for Carroll. No matter if they're English or not (although English players tend to cost more, even more now with HG rules), I can't see anyone asking us a reasonable and fair price while the last player we signed we paid 3 times what he was worth.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #48: Jun 06, 2011 06:32:54 am
      Personally I'm not concerned if the players we buy are English, as long as they improve our squad, but it stands to reason that English players will have a better understanding of the English game, so I can see the logic on going home grown
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #49: Jun 06, 2011 07:33:14 am
      We signed an over-rated English player for free just last summer.... that hsant exactly worked out either.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #50: Jun 06, 2011 10:02:48 am
       The club takes a risk when they sign any player irrespective of their nationality,the player has to fit in with new team mates and a different training regime.Also if his family do not settle in the area it can make it difficult for the player,lets face it if a player has to go home to a wife who is constantly moaning because she cannot settle he is hardly likely to produce his best football for the club..
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #51: Jun 06, 2011 11:53:34 am
      Exactly Diego, I see Sunderland fans saying they want £25 million for Henderson if we paid £35 million for Carroll. We did not pay £15 million for Carroll so if Torres had gone for £70 million would we have paid £55 million for Carroll. We should have waited till the Summer
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #52: Jun 06, 2011 11:57:55 am
      DLS pointed it out there.

Football has gone mad.

IMO, the biggest culprits are Man United. 30 million for Ferdinand and that was 10 years ago. Cristiano Ronaldo .. 13 million for an 18 year old.

Carrick, Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves hitting the 18 million mark (and Rafa got stick for signing an "injured" Aquilani) and they were bought back in 2006-2008. Berbatov for 30 million and he isn't half the player Torres was. Didn't he also throw 12 million quid on Bebe?

But I guess no one says anything as long as your winning.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #53: Jun 06, 2011 01:34:32 pm
      Tbh, I think Uniteds £13M move for Ronaldo seems decent value now ;)

A player is worth what a club is willing to pay. If a player is not for sale then you can expect to have to pay a premium to persuade his club to part with him.

Steve Bruce for example is not in a great rush to sell Henderson to us (of all clubs the fat headed c**t) so it will take a bigger offer to tempt him to sell.

As for football gone mad, I don't buy into that theory. Footballers get paid a percentage of the wealth they create. 

MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #54: Jun 06, 2011 02:23:45 pm
      A risk? Why is it anymore of risk signing an English bloke than a foreigner? I guess you mean the fee? Well thats not a risk, it just means you pay a premimum price & we all no why. Indeed there are a few reasons from the home grown rule, to clubs not liking to strengthen the home competition. Very obvious as to why the market is driven in such away.

Its very easy to say flippantly that its so silly paying £12M for Barry when we only paid just over 10M for Alonso. Some signings go on to succeed & some fail, doesnt matter where they are from. No one has a crystal ball, just a feeling about a player. Its so easy to ask why didnt we sign so & so when they were young before that other club did, or why did we sign so & so as he hasnt fitted in. Its all about the theory & sometimes in practice theory doesnt work.

Things, be they works of art or people in demand command fee's & thats in theory how much they are worth. If you dont agree with the valuation thats fine, but if someones willing to pay the fee then thats their lookout. That doesnt mean you have to agree with it or that represents true value. Footballers pay, along with that of filmstars & other talented people is based on what unique talent that person brings to the party. Same can be said about high powered business men & of course the dreaded people that ruined the world (not) the bankers. Low paid jobs are what they are as lets be honest anyone can do those job if they want to, well most people (of course there are some thick people that struggle to tie shoelaces) If the right application is set about then most could be a nurse, drive a truck, fight in the army & so on, hence the low wage. Indeed at a guess I would say that those jobs could be done (or at least one of them) by every poster on this forum. How many could play top flight football or be a film star? At a guess, that will be none then.

MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #55: Jun 06, 2011 02:23:45 pm

IMO, the biggest culprits are Man United. 30 million for Ferdinand and that was 10 years ago. Cristiano Ronaldo .. 13 million for an 18 year old.

Both bargins when you think about it. Very fair fee's for both players. You can go back to Blackburn paying 15M for Shearer or even Forest paying £1m for Francis. Madrid, Milan etc along with Chelsea & now City have all be as much to blame, as indeed have we & every other big club.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #56: Jun 06, 2011 02:23:45 pm
      Tbh, I think Uniteds £13M move for Ronaldo seems decent value now ;)

A player is worth what a club is willing to pay. If a player is not for sale then you can expect to have to pay a premium to persuade his club to part with him.

Steve Bruce for example is not in a great rush to sell Henderson to us (of all clubs the fat headed c**t) so it will take a bigger offer to tempt him to sell.

As for football gone mad, I don't buy into that theory. Footballers get paid a percentage of the wealth they create. 

Great post :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #57: Jun 06, 2011 02:46:51 pm
      Both bargins when you think about it. Very fair fee's for both players. You can go back to Blackburn paying 15M for Shearer or even Forest paying £1m for Francis. Madrid, Milan etc along with Chelsea & now City have all be as much to blame, as indeed have we & every other big club.

You mean Newcastle!

Blackburn bought Shearer for £3.3 million.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #58: Jun 06, 2011 02:50:48 pm
      Paying big money cant guarantee anything.

16 million for Owen. 2005.    The arrival of the saviour to ToonLand.

What did happen was ....

The compensation claim by Newcastle included the £10m cost of buying Owen's replacement, Obafemi Martins, £6.2m towards Owen's salary costs while injured, the possibility of long-term damage to Owen's fitness and ability, the loss of league position and cup competition progress, depreciation of Owen's four-year contract, and the cost of medical treatment for Owen. In February 2007 Fifa made Newcastle a "final offer" of £1m. By April 2007, Newcastle were threatening to take out an injunction to stop the FA picking Owen for England games. The club finally reached a compromise settlement figure with Fifa and the FA. Fifa indicated that the settlement was between £6m and £7m. The club, stating that Owen's wages had "now been paid in full", stated the overall compensation achieved totalled £10m.

A mess.

Owen did all right  Got paid. Now he is with his soul mate Fergie in Mickey O heaven.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Jun 06, 2011 02:58:33 pm
      Exactly Diego, I see Sunderland fans saying they want £25 million for Henderson if we paid £35 million for Carroll. We did not pay £15 million for Carroll so if Torres had gone for £70 million would we have paid £55 million for Carroll. We should have waited till the Summer

Yeah mate, I agree... all this talk about 'the transfer fee doesn't matter' that has been around here, with all the respect, is bullshit... we've been complaining about Chelsea and Man City distorting prices for ages, but that's just what we've done last window... the first window in which we had a truly healthy owner. Now we're going to deal with our own mess, any club will ask at least twice what their players are worth, unless they are in a difficult position such as the contract of the player is nearing its end and/or the players wants to leave.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #60: Jun 06, 2011 06:53:08 pm
      You mean Newcastle!

Blackburn bought Shearer for £3.3 million.

Doh! What a plank :)

Yep of course, glad to see you knew what I meant. The Blackburn money was decent enough in those days as well.

And before anyone moans & cries off complaining. Those 3 posts above were not all done at the same time. Its when they got cleared by mods. I couldn't know when they would appear & tbh I had forgotton that I had posted 1 - of course it isnt there for me to see when I look back until its cleared.

Bsng on the money as well Diego :)
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #61: Jun 06, 2011 07:05:08 pm
      Agree with most posts on here about player pricing ,it has got completely out of control with the likes of Abramovic,and Man city's sheik ,to them the cost means nothing ,it's about winning trophies and plaudits, why are British players so expensive? probably because outstanding talent is as rare as shark sh*t ! i'd much rather have reasonably priced players but then again we all want success now and not in 10 years time , so all in all success breeds profit which inflates prices !
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #62: Jun 06, 2011 07:11:30 pm
       Signing "overpriced" players from England or anywhere else is a bad idea. Signing players which are "underpriced" is the way to go. The problem though is that when you buy them, you've got no real way of knowing whether they are going to end up being "overpriced" or "underpriced".

When Tottenham paid a few mill for Gareth Bale and a few mill for Roman Pavlucenco, there wasn't a sticker on either of them saying "don't buy this bloke, he is over/under priced". As it's turned out, Gareth Bale now looks like a steal, whereas the Russian fella looks like he might have been over-priced.

Some foreign players end up being over priced too. It's the way things are.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #63: Jun 06, 2011 07:23:53 pm
      I have a question.

How do you know if they are over priced?

Lets take Carroll. £35m is a lot of money, and he was injured. Now what if next year we win the EPL, and he scores 20 goals.

If this were to happen, the the £35m spent would seem good business, no?

I think the prices quoted and paid for players are

1) Greedy and pushing their luck, current form and the "future potential"

2) Trying to pay the least possible.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #64: Jun 06, 2011 07:44:39 pm
      Just to throw this into the mix. ... Devil's advocate and all that. ...  >:D

* See when 'we' were F***ing whining about "net spend" to defend Benitez, against the F***ing daft claims that H & G had given him money: did 'we' consider that argument to be bullshit or fact?

* Carroll @ £35m + Suarez @ £22.8m = a "net spend" of £1.8m (all of which was L.F.C.'s own money- not 'yours' not 'mine'). ...cue the F***ing big, black, clouds moaning about; Carroll being too dear (on one hand) and F.S.G's low "net spend" (on the other). Bullshit or fact?

* Now we have owners who are prepared to spend - sadly 'we' still find the time and the need to whine. Bullshit or fact?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #65: Jun 06, 2011 08:00:33 pm
      Just to throw this into the mix. ... Devil's advocate and all that. ...  >:D

* See when 'we' were F***ing whining about "net spend" to defend Benitez, against the F***ing daft claims that H & G had given him money: did 'we' consider that argument to be bullshit or fact?

* Carroll @ £35m + Suarez @ £22.8m = a "net spend" of £1.8m (all of which was L.F.C.'s own money- not 'yours' not 'mine'). ...cue the F***ing big, black, clouds moaning about; Carroll being too dear (on one hand) and F.S.G's low "net spend" (on the other). Bullshit or fact?

* Now we have owners who are prepared to spend - sadly 'we' still find the time and the need to whine. Bullshit or fact?

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #66: Jun 06, 2011 08:12:10 pm
      Its a new begining for me I am just watching and waiting to see who we sign and so far after Carrol and Suarez I am very optimistic.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,540 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #67: Jun 06, 2011 08:49:31 pm
      btw. we have only signed Carroll so far, in terms of over priced english players goes.

So OTT or what.

Rumour's rumours until we actually see somebody in a red shirt.

Don't be surprised to see us signing totally different players to who we are linked with in the press.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #68: Jun 07, 2011 04:12:48 am
      To make moves foward, in any walk of life, you HAVE to take risks. It is about assessing whether the risk is worthwhile. Kenny know's what he's doing.

Quick Reply