Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Any punk/new wavers here?

Read 9584 times
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Any punk/new wavers here?
      Jun 07, 2011 11:13:47 pm
      I might be showing my age here (and I hate the categories punk/new wave) but was just curious if anyone else still enjoys some of the old 'punk' tunes AND thinks the 1979-82 period gave us some of the most inventive music.  Some of these bands are still going.

My own personal faves:
      Sex pistols (managed to see them a few times, 96-08)
      The Damned (still going and still really good live)
      Iggy and the Stooges (still an amazing performer is our Iggy)
      Public Image Ltd (back touring, thanks to country life butter!!)

And those worthy of a mention:
      The Clash
      The Buzzcocks
      The Undertones
      Joy Division
      Blondie

There's probably a few more I will remember when I log off!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Any punk/new wavers here?
      Reply #1: Jun 07, 2011 11:28:33 pm
      Punk is one of the genres I'm into but not so much that era, although The Damned and The Clash did some good stuff.

I'm more into what they classed as 'New Wave' in the 90s, ie - Earlier Green Day, Offspring, Rancid etc, as well as Hardcore (mostly from the US) such as Sick Of It All, Biohazard, Vision of Disorder and so on.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: Jun 08, 2011 12:52:49 am
      Police would count as New Wave wouldn't it? Having said that I much prefer The Police's later records like Synchronicity. What a record that is!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Jun 08, 2011 04:02:12 pm
      Punk rock has been one of my favorite genres since my early teens, the impact the Ramones and the Clash had in my life is unmeasurable. My mother found it a bit scary the frequency in which I watched the movie Sid & Nancy as I was so young :D There was a time in which punk was the only thing I'd listen. The first song I played with a band was the Ramones' version of 'Do You Wanna Dance', in a high school music festival.

I wish I could have lived the gold days of punk rock!

The Clash still are my favorite band ever. Ramones are up there close to it somewhere, and so are the Stiff Little Fingers, The Saints, Dead Kennedys and countless others. From the newer bands, my favorite are Rancid by a country mile, but I like early Green Day stuff (even though I haven't listened to it for years), Offspring, Bad Religion...
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: Jun 13, 2011 01:54:31 pm
      F***ing love that old 70's and 80's punk. The Clash are in my mind the best band ever.

I like the newer stuff as well, bands like Green Day (before they went sh*t and did American Idiot), NOFX, Bad Religion, Rancid etc.

From the newer bands, my favorite are Rancid by a country mile

I wholeheartedly agree, Rancid have done some really good stuff, remaining true to the punk ethos of old but still managing to make it sound new and interesting.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Jun 13, 2011 09:25:35 pm
      The Clash are in my mind the best band ever.

Oh yeah  :action-smiley-035:
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #6: Jun 13, 2011 11:30:49 pm

Please direct me towards their best album in your opinion.. I love pretty fly for a white guy, kirsty are you doing ok, why don't you get a job...etc.

The Clash are in my mind the best band ever.

Likewise, what would be the best album for a new fan do get into do ye think? I only know like London calling, fought the law, rock the casbah...etc.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Jun 14, 2011 12:41:45 am
      Please direct me towards their best album in your opinion.. I love pretty fly for a white guy, kirsty are you doing ok, why don't you get a job...etc.

Their masterpiece and my personal favorite is Smash. Love it:

The Offspring - Self Esteem

Likewise, what would be the best album for a new fan do get into do ye think? I only know like London calling, fought the law, rock the casbah...etc.

The album London Calling, which is one of the best rock albums of all time IMO. But don't expect to find only punk rock there, The Clash were a very versatile band that could use elements of reggae, ska, rockabilly, plus various other styles. It's a complete album. To exemplify:

The Clash - Guns of Brixton
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #8: Jun 14, 2011 07:56:00 am

The tracks you mention are all from the period when they went seriously downhill, ;D
      As Diego said, 'Smash' is by far their best album and a must-have. Also worth checking out the album 'Ixnay on the Hombre'. It's nowhere near as strong but has a few good, individual tracks.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Jun 14, 2011 07:46:11 pm

London Calling. It's just an absolute masterpiece. Although I think all of their albums are masterpieces.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #10: Jun 14, 2011 08:18:22 pm
      cheers lads :) must check them out now

Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #11: Jun 15, 2011 09:53:51 pm
      Just the thread i looked for. Can you name some good english punk songs ? I know some Sex Pistols songs and these are very good so i thought i should look for more english punk songs :P
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #12: Jun 15, 2011 10:24:49 pm
      Just the thread I looked for. Can you name some good english punk songs ? I know some Sex Pistols songs and these are very good so I thought I should look for more english punk songs :P

Well if you know the Pistols, check out the Clash, but also, my personal preference...... ladies and gentlemen... please welcome, the Damned:

The Damned New Rose

And just to wet your appetite for some post-punk..... PiL live earlier this month (sounding damn fine):
      PIL - Public Image ( Cardiff 2011 )
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Jun 16, 2011 08:55:14 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Jun 16, 2011 09:01:15 pm
      Never forget the joy of when I bought Damned, Damned, Damned (the album) in a small shop in the center of Rio de Janeiro. It was a time before I had fast internet at home, so I used to buy at least one CD every week. This one was very rare and a bit expensive but felt great to finally have my hands on it. Great album.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #15: Jun 16, 2011 09:20:50 pm
      Here's a more modern British alternative, clearly inspired by some of those bands :

Gallows - Abandon Ship

When I saw them play a small venue here a few years back, Frank Carter (singer) spent more time in the crowd or climbling the balcony than on stage and then, 5 or 6 songs in, cracked his head open on a guitar and had to be replaced by his younger brother, who sounded practically identical!
      Not necessarily their best song but the live footage in the video is pretty good.
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #16: Jun 21, 2011 01:21:37 pm
      The Damned seems like a good stuff ;)
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #17: Jun 21, 2011 02:32:49 pm
      The Clash - London Calling was in Estonian Punk songfestival. There was The Sex Pistols - God save the Queen and ANarchy in the U.K and more English punk songs.

London Calling

London Calling - Ühendkoor @ Punklaulupidu 2011

And something from Estonia punk:

Tallinn põleb ( Tallinn is on fire )

Tallinn Põleb - Ivo Uukkivi @ Punklaulupidu 2011

paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #18: Jun 21, 2011 02:37:49 pm
      My band are immensely influenced by all the bands you mentioned in the original post. But with a modernist take on it like.

Stiff Little Fingers should also get a mention.

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster

I love British punk.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #19: Jun 21, 2011 05:06:26 pm
      You've got to love the SLF

I still got some vinyl knocking around some pistols, Peter & the test tube babies, A.D 1984
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #20: Jun 23, 2011 12:35:39 pm
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #21: Jun 23, 2011 05:13:57 pm
      The Clash - Safe European Home

The Clash Safe European home
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #22: Oct 09, 2019 06:22:36 pm
      Sorry about the old thread bump,it's the first one that came up Clash related search.So they are running an old interview on 6 music at the mo cos it's 40 years since London Calling was released but they are playing the whole album on saturday and  i dunno if there's any real need,people that know it, get it,play it.seems a bit oh look how cool we are by 6music?

Quick Reply