Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 731169 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #3266: Mar 05, 2015 07:51:19 pm
      I actually thought he did better on the left than on the right on most occasions. Obviously not so much in terms of attacking contribution but I remember him tracking back and doing a lot of the dirty work there. Not a huge fan of him on the right although his former manager (I think it was Steve Bruce) said he thought Hendo was better there.

Yeah, that was Steve Bruce who said that. The problem with that is it was Steve Bruce who said that.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3267: Mar 05, 2015 07:51:51 pm
      Ah so you've shifted the goalposts from saying he wasn't of Liverpool standards because no-one wanted to buy him to (now) saying Can has the potential to be a better player.

they're not mutually exclusive.  I mean I don't think Henderson is Liverpool standard.  And I also think that Can has the potential to be a better player.  Those aren't contradictory at all.  It's like saying "Downing isn't Liverpool standard, and Sterling has the potential to become a better player."  those two work fine together.

He was bought because he was a prodigious talent and bought with one eye on the future.

"prodigious" talent?  really?  that might be a bit much, don't you think?

Sterling, Ibe, are "prodigious" talents.  but Henderson? 

next we're going to hear that Borini was a prodigious talent...
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #3268: Mar 05, 2015 08:04:04 pm
      they're not mutually exclusive.  I mean I don't think Henderson is Liverpool standard.  And I also think that Can has the potential to be a better player.  Those aren't contradictory at all.  It's like saying "Downing isn't Liverpool standard, and Sterling has the potential to become a better player."  those two work fine together.

Out of interest, and without wishing to derail the Henderson thread, which central midfielder in the Premiership is of a standard fit to play for us?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3269: Mar 05, 2015 08:16:35 pm
      Out of interest, and without wishing to derail the Henderson thread, which central midfielder in the Premiership is of a standard fit to play for us?

that's a good question.  I think we need to have one world class player in each line; i.e., one in the attack, one in the midfield, and one in defence.  More than one would be ideal, but at least one, for sure.  We don't need a team of world-class players necessarily but at least one in each line.  And as I have said before, I don't think Henderson is a terrible player.  Clearly he's not.  I just don't think he's up to our standard, which should be very, very high.  Not just "let's cross our fingers and hope we finish fourth."  Leave that to Arsenal.

So, in the league, I would say Schneiderlin would be up to our standard.  Fabregas and Matic as well.  David Silva.  Outside of England, Cabaye, Pobga among others.  Pogba would be my choice.

I'd like to see us build the midfield around Can, using him as our defensive midfielder for the next 10+ years.  Coutinho would be our starting attacking midfielder.  That leaves us in need of a world-class CM, Pogba would be the ideal fit IMO.  But would FSG splash the cash for him.... unlikely.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3270: Mar 05, 2015 09:14:49 pm
      I see where you're coming from Mags but I have a different take on that.

We have to remember that, Jordan was only 19 [soon to turn 20], when he was bought. He was bought because he was a prodigious talent and bought with one eye on the future.

That prodigious talent meant that he was able to play, in more than one position, at a high level - a bit like a young Stevie, if we remember back. It was Jordan's versatility, again like Gerrard's, which meant he could be moved out of his more natural position and still play whilst learning the game. Add to that the fact that, at that time: Jordan was nowhere nearly ready to displace Stevie [one of the World's best] in that role.

Instead he was blooded, given an appreciation of more than one role and given plenty of game time simply because he was one for the future. To that end; playing him out of position, rather than "harm" him, brought what was only a kid on... in my opinion obviously.

I vaguely remember (way back) remarking something along the lines that; I believe that Jordan was bought to eventually fill the Ste Gerrard role... I'll see if I can hoke it out later.

What made me think that wasn't down to any genius or eye for a player on my part but the fact that footballing 'men' [with much more nous than me] were convinced the kid was a good 'un. And... the fact that no less a light than Kenny was more than happy to keep picking him; keep giving him experience, (out of his more natural role), so that his eventual transition would be gradual and staggered.

A method which we have since seen Brendan also apply - not only with Jordan but with other young players too. Are Can, Ibe and Markovic (for example) playing in their more natural roles right now? Nah Mags but they are being given valuable experience and game time in preparation for when the time is right.  ;)

Anyhows... Jordan Henderson; another goal, another assist, another tireless, quality performance from a top player in a winning team AND he's a Red. Brilliant; ain't it?  ;D

Oh yea I'm not saying that in hindsight it didn't help him (probably) but at the time I was very annoyed every time he played on the wing because he was so much better in the centre. Much like last night where I had the fear that he'd be on the right, not because I wouldn't trust him there, but because we'd miss him the centre so much.

So made up for him, really love it when a player you stand by and fight for comes good. Such a talent. 
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #3271: Mar 05, 2015 10:48:58 pm

Anyone playing in the top flight regularly as a teenager is a prodigious talent - particularly as a midfielder. By the very definition of the word prodigy.
      Before he came to us he had captained england's u21s, been called up to the England squad and named one of the most exciting young English players by Capello (who for all his faults, wasn't a mug). This is a bigger deal than many think - it is bloody hard for a player in a small team to get called up young. They normally have to stick at it for much longer before getting any attention. He was also named Sunderland's young player of the year as well for two consecutive seasons.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3272: Mar 05, 2015 10:55:10 pm
      I mean I don't think Henderson is Liverpool standard.

But yet you thought Diame was...
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #3273: Mar 05, 2015 10:58:27 pm
      that's a good question.  I think we need to have one world class player in each line; i.e., one in the attack, one in the midfield, and one in defence.  More than one would be ideal, but at least one, for sure.  We don't need a team of world-class players necessarily but at least one in each line.  And as I have said before, I don't think Henderson is a terrible player.  Clearly he's not.  I just don't think he's up to our standard, which should be very, very high.  Not just "let's cross our fingers and hope we finish fourth."  Leave that to Arsenal.

So, in the league, I would say Schneiderlin would be up to our standard.  Fabregas and Matic as well.  David Silva.  Outside of England, Cabaye, Pobga among others.  Pogba would be my choice.

I'd like to see us build the midfield around Can, using him as our defensive midfielder for the next 10+ years.  Coutinho would be our starting attacking midfielder.  That leaves us in need of a world-class CM, Pogba would be the ideal fit IMO.  But would FSG splash the cash for him.... unlikely.
      Schneiderlin isn't better than Henderson.
      David Silva wouldn't compete for Henderson's position in our team as he is an attacking midfielder.
      Cabaye is not the player you think he is. He is significantly worse than Henderson. For the last 2 years he has steadily declined. He is just fortunate that PSG bought him when they did, because they sure as hell regret it. Quite frankly when you say you don't think Henderson is good enough for Liverpool but you think that Cabaye is, you lose a shitload of credibility.

Pogba, Matic and Fabregas are fantastic players - but only Pogba is relevant comparison as he is the only one who would also bring what Henderson brings. Also, Fabregas seems to once again, same as every year, have become distinctly average after Christmas. I think it must be an Arsenal disease he never got rid of in Spain.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3274: Mar 05, 2015 11:12:27 pm
      Schneiderlin isn't better than Henderson.

Schneiderlin and Hendo are different types of players, but with those 2 together & Coutinho/Sterling in the #10 role, I honestly feel we would have one of the best midfield in Europe. Would be a world class trio.

But then again, with a fully fit Lucas instead of Schneiderlin, maybe we have one and they need more games to become more established :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #3275: Mar 05, 2015 11:23:44 pm
      Don't you just love it when our own 'supporters' big up other teams players and continually slag off our own.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3276: Mar 05, 2015 11:26:12 pm
      Don't you just love it when our own 'supporters' big up other teams players and continually slag off our own.

Especially when those players wouldn't get near our team.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #3277: Mar 05, 2015 11:29:12 pm
      I just don't think he's up to our standard, which should be very, very high.  Not just "let's cross our fingers and hope we finish fourth."  Leave that to Arsenal.

the problem with children today is that they see everything through these strange robotic eyes.. these mechanical thoughts you have.. these things you type aren't even human lad. our standards should be very high, based on what? 2005? it's 2015 mate and Henderson is a big part of the rebuild we've been watching for years now. wake the f**k up. enjoy what you're witnessing or f**k off and go follow a team you will enjoy who will buy everyone you want, go follow Juventus or something if you want a midfield built around Pogba. i don't understand the second part. you're implying we're purposefully not setting out to buy who we can or finish where we can. you're just a lost mind. you need to get back to basics and just watch LFC 90 minutes a week, stop being influenced by what you hear and what you're scared of. not dropping 70mil on one midfielder doesn't mean we don't have ambition. child!

I've watched Henderson from his first game here and yes he was "gifted" all those games at RM but look where it's got him now? every player needs the game time to get better. you don't get better watching your team mates play the match out. short term pain long term gain. dragging out that pain in your head is only making it worse for yourself.

stop worrying about the future and just enjoy what's happening right now. it's good. better people than you are in charge of everything you can think of. calm down.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #3278: Mar 06, 2015 12:38:05 am
      Glad to see Hendo carving out his role and taking charge. Only helps the team. He still has the occasional lapse but what player doesn't.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3279: Mar 06, 2015 12:40:43 am
      Glad to see Hendo carving out his role and taking charge. Only helps the team. He still has the occasional lapse but what player doesn't.

Suarez didn't when he was with us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #3280: Mar 06, 2015 12:48:07 am

He absolutely did, I can remember multiple games where he would spend loads of time on the ground trying to draw fouls and pounding the ground in frustration at not getting calls.

We know you don't like Hendo, just admit you have a personal bias and move on.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #3281: Mar 06, 2015 12:48:23 am

Selective memory, much?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3282: Mar 06, 2015 12:56:23 am
      We know you don't like Hendo, just admit you have a personal bias and move on.

I don't dislike him!  in every interview he seems like a nice, down to earth lad.  He works his arse off on the pitch.

I just think his quality is overrated, that's all.  nothing personal.

And Suarez never had long periods where he was in a slump.  A game here or there.  But never for an entire season like Henderson did etc.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #3283: Mar 06, 2015 02:23:01 am
      Henderson seems to have, what Lucas has, and what is necessary at the top... mental strength and a desire to succeed.
      He's had set backs amongst other things but he is succeeding, improving and since he's been leading the team has been getting better and better. Now the team is getting better so it's not a straight forward analysis of what's driving what; however, if the team was performing and he wasn't then I could understand critiscism. To say he lacks quality when he is performing so well is ...hard to interpret.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #3284: Mar 06, 2015 04:07:32 am
      Just read that his record as captain is 13 games, 10 wins and 3 draws.

Not really a big reflection of him alone but that's a nice little stat!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3285: Mar 06, 2015 09:22:47 am
      Anyone playing in the top flight regularly as a teenager is a prodigious talent - particularly as a midfielder. By the very definition of the word prodigy.
      Spot on Thad...

Poor Fed, the sad, little F**k - even if he didn't know the definition of the word prodigy; he could have 'googled' it. I guess playing the c**t can be time consuming tho, so his ignorance is understandable.

Add to that the fact that he spends little, or no, time praising anything LFC and you've got the full picture.... and its every colour but (Liverpool) Red.  ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2015 09:35:56 am by bad boy bubby »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3286: Mar 06, 2015 10:34:16 am
      Cracking goal from Hendo and a fantastic assist for Danny to score.

Keep it going Jordan.

I'd draft you into my Fantasy League team but I don't want to jinx you or us.  ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #3287: Mar 06, 2015 11:12:55 am
      I don't dislike him!  in every interview he seems like a nice, down to earth lad.  He works his arse off on the pitch.

I just think his quality is overrated, that's all.  nothing personal.

And Suarez never had long periods where he was in a slump.  A game here or there.  But never for an entire season like Henderson did etc.

I think Hendo is going to make you look very stupid Fed.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3288: Mar 06, 2015 11:37:06 am
      I think Hendo is going to make you look very stupid Fed.
      "Going"?... That particular ship has long since sailed mate - the 'SS NERRR NERRR' - with Captain Diame at the helm.  >:D

Quick Reply