Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 720610 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #5359: Mar 25, 2018 01:39:17 pm
      You know you are being pedantic now. Of course everyone can make mistakes, but some players do it constantly. Eric Dier at Spurs is another one.

Me pedantic??
      You are the epitome of pedantic and as much is stated with the majority of replies to your posts.
      You comment that one mistake by Henderson could cost LFC a qualication in the CL then you infer the player makes mistakes on a consistant basis, you also provide some obscure reference that presumably you imagine backs your premise!!

Pedantic my F***ing arse.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5360: Mar 25, 2018 01:42:12 pm
      Me pedantic??
      You are the epitome of pedantic and as much is stated with the majority of replies to your posts.
      You comment that one mistake by Henderson could cost LFC a qualication in the CL then you infer the player makes mistakes on a consistant basis, you also provide some obscure reference that presumably you imagine backs your premise!!

Pedantic my f**king arse.
      I think you miss understood. One mistake can cause a CL exit, Henderson can go through games snowballing mistakes. If you think that Henderson is CL winning quality then you have my sympathy.

You, Mags, Scottbot and Scotia are like the fantastic four defending Henderson all the time. You still would if he scores a few own goals against City.

Henderson obviously divides opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree about Henderson.
      « Last Edit: Mar 25, 2018 01:52:59 pm by Ribapuru »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5361: Mar 25, 2018 02:00:28 pm
      I think you miss understood. One mistake can cause a CL exit, Henderson can go through games snowballing mistakes. If you think that Henderson is CL winning quality then you have my sympathy.

You, Mags, Scottbot and Scotia are like the fantastic four defending Henderson all the time. You still would if he scores a few own goals against City.

Henderson obviously divides opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree about Henderson.

Jeez rib, have a day off mate
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5362: Mar 25, 2018 04:36:20 pm
      no, Henderson was invisible a lot of the game. From what I saw he was sloppy in possession and miss kicked a back pass.

Invisible? You really are a dweeb. Shame I can’t find the match stats anywhere I reckon he had more of the ball than any other player on the pitch.

I actually re-watched the match again (first time round, I was so bored i nearly fell asleep), and he certainly wasn't invisible , however, he certainly wasn't running the game, and to be compared to Alonso... ;D. The amount of times he had the ball, he should have done a lot better, way too many safe passes, and Southgate playing Hendo in a disicplined role with a back 3 behind him? Seriously...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnLA3aIpOb0

Henderson is a solid player, I'd have him in the team all day long. A hard worker and a complete professional, I back him 100%. I don't get the hatred at all, in fact those who say he's 'sh*te' just don't know football. Sure you may support a team, sure you may have watched for decades however I'd be willing to bet you've never played or coached a high level game in your life if you don't appreciate his play on the field and his action off it.

Absolutely ridiculous. Let me guess, you have played/coached a high level game, therefore you understand his role more than others and appreciate his play on the field?  ;)
      What if I told you I know of non coaches and players that rate him? How does a person that never played football or coached at a high level have an understanding of a coach/player that has coached at the highest level? They must be geniuses!!

Oh, and Ribapuru, I understand to a point where you are coming from, but I don't think Hendo is that bad :p He is more a Milner at left back performance week in, week out, gets the job done. I think you underrate him, similar to how some overrates him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5363: Mar 25, 2018 05:11:46 pm
      I actually re-watched the match again (first time round, I was so bored i nearly fell asleep), and he certainly wasn't invisible , however, he certainly wasn't running the game, and to be compared to Alonso... ;D. The amount of times he had the ball, he should have done a lot better, way too many safe passes, and Southgate playing Hendo in a disicplined role with a back 3 behind him? Seriously...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnLA3aIpOb0

Absolutely ridiculous. Let me guess, you have played/coached a high level game, therefore you understand his role more than others and appreciate his play on the field?  ;)
      What if I told you I know of non coaches and players that rate him? How does a person that never played football or coached at a high level have an understanding of a coach/player that has coached at the highest level? They must be geniuses!!

Oh, and Ribapuru, I understand to a point where you are coming from, but I don't think Hendo is that bad :p He is more a Milner at left back performance week in, week out, gets the job done. I think you underrate him, similar to how some overrates him.

But they won’t have the same appreciation, they may agree they’re good but won’t see the full picture of their game as the pros will
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5364: Mar 25, 2018 05:23:38 pm
      But they won’t have the same appreciation, they may agree they’re good but won’t see the full picture of their game as the pros will

I haven't played football or coached at a high level, but I damn well appreciate #6 positions (prerhaps the reason why I am so harsh on Hendo), and whilst I don't rate Hendo's distribution and reading of the game, I ackowledge he is a good player who is exceptional at stopping counter attacks (similar to Kante imo), so therefore , I appreciate him to an extent, and as Danzel once said, he is the best we have in that role for now which I agree.

I don't think you need to coach or play at a high level (or even have no playing/coaching history) to appreciate/understand the game/players on the field.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #5365: Mar 25, 2018 06:27:11 pm
      I've never seen a player so criticised for so little wrongdoings and at the same time praised for so little.

It's like a 7/10 performance proves he is the best and worst player in the league at the same time.

Ridiculous span completely compromised by bias.

Henderson is a solid player, I'd have him in the team all day long. A hard worker and a complete professional, I back him 100%. I don't get the hatred at all, in fact those who say he's 'sh*te' just don't know football. Sure you may support a team, sure you may have watched for decades however I'd be willing to bet you've never played or coached a high level game in your life if you don't appreciate his play on the field and his action off it.

Exactly, he is a player who is 'boring' but plays well 7/10 constantly and we need someone to sacrifice for our attack. It think the issue is that he is too afraid to try a pass which he is more than capable to do.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5366: Mar 25, 2018 06:42:09 pm
      I understand Hendersons role. On Friday night it was to protect the back 3 by breaking down play, collecting loose balls and passing it, foward, sideways when no forward passes are available.

Henderson's problem, and people proved it multiple times with screenshots is there are forward options but he does not take them, he is either unaware of the option, or which means his awareness is bad or he doesn't have the confidence to play the pass. Either is bad. When he did try to make these passes, they went nowhere near the intended target.

What happens is Hendo takes the safe and easiest option because of his limited ability, so he ends up making more passes than anybody, sideways. On games where the other midfielders are tight and our defence is playing well, he becomes redundant so he becomes a passenger. There are times that it is worse, that was demonstrated Friday, where he could not see a pass and tried to dribble it and it got taken right from him by a dutch forward within shooting range. Now I know all players make mistakes, but if you cant see an option you clear it. He was low on intellegence.

Not long later, somebody in the back 3 passed to him and he passed it back into the penalty box.
      « Last Edit: Mar 25, 2018 08:04:06 pm by Ribapuru »
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #5367: Mar 25, 2018 07:36:31 pm
      I haven't played football or coached at a high level, but I damn well appreciate #6 positions (prerhaps the reason why I am so harsh on Hendo), and whilst I don't rate Hendo's distribution and reading of the game, I ackowledge he is a good player who is exceptional at stopping counter attacks (similar to Kante imo), so therefore , I appreciate him to an extent, and as Danzel once said, he is the best we have in that role for now which I agree.

I don't think you need to coach or play at a high level (or even have no playing/coaching history) to appreciate/understand the game/players on the field.

I'm not saying you can't appreciate it. I'm saying the people with experience at higher levels will see things you don't because you won't have experienced it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5368: Mar 25, 2018 09:41:37 pm
      I'm not saying you can't appreciate it. I'm saying the people with experience at higher levels will see things you don't because you won't have experienced it.

Again, I beg to differ. I keep saying it, football is not rocket science and you can understand the game more so than some ex pro's (field activities) if you actually put the time and effort into it. Just look at the plethora of idiotic pundits out there, but also, I like to think you can sure as hell appreciate it as much as ex pro's who played at the highest level.

I am a colourist, but I sure as hell appreciate da Vinci, van Gogh etc as much as my friend who is an artist, and also, I play the piano, but not a professional like my friend, and we both appreciate debussy just as much as each other!

But hey, each to their own, and if you think this, who am I to argue with, just giving you my take on it.

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2018 09:48:05 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5369: Mar 25, 2018 10:18:58 pm
      Again, I beg to differ. I keep saying it, football is not rocket science and you can understand the game more so than some ex pro's (field activities) if you actually put the time and effort into it. Just look at the plethora of idiotic pundits out there, but also, I like to think you can sure as hell appreciate it as much as ex pro's who played at the highest level.

I am a colourist, but I sure as hell appreciate da Vinci, van Gogh etc as much as my friend who is an artist, and also, I play the piano, but not a professional like my friend, and we both appreciate debussy just as much as each other!

But hey, each to their own, and if you think this, who am I to argue with, just giving you my take on it.
      I agree and it's the newest ridiculous thing people are coming out with to invalidate opinions that are negative about Henderson. Glad nobody is buying it.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #5370: Mar 25, 2018 10:31:48 pm

Don't be such a dick. I've given Henderson plenty of shi.....t over the years not that I can be arsed to drag through this thread to drag it up. I know one thing that doesn't divide opinion and that's the quality of your posting on this board.
      « Last Edit: Mar 25, 2018 10:35:50 pm by Scottbot »
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #5371: Mar 25, 2018 11:05:49 pm

Fair enough mate, I can see what you mean. I'm not quite articulating my point the way I want to however, can't quite explain what I mean about the 'things you won't see'. It's as much behind the scenes as it is what we actually see. I don't know, hard to explain.

Either way, Henderson for me is a safe pair of hands under the microscope by people begging for him to slip up.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5372: Mar 25, 2018 11:25:34 pm
      Either way, Henderson for me is a safe pair of hands under the microscope by people begging for him to slip up.

As much as I dislike his distribution, I do agree, he is a safe pair of hands, and currently would be my first choice as the #6 in every game. And if we are to get a new deep lying midfielder and push Hendo as a #8, I am still holding out we'll see the 13/14 Hendo, and if that happened, I would put my house down on us having the best midfield in world football.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5373: Mar 26, 2018 02:02:02 am
      Don't be such a dick. I've given Henderson plenty of shi.....t over the years not that I can be arsed to drag through this thread to drag it up. I know one thing that doesn't divide opinion and that's the quality of your posting on this board.
      We'll see who is right about Henderson in the future. Arguing about it is pointless. Time will tell.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #5374: Mar 26, 2018 06:34:43 pm
      As much as I dislike his distribution, I do agree, he is a safe pair of hands, and currently would be my first choice as the #6 in every game. And if we are to get a new deep lying midfielder and push Hendo as a #8, I am still holding out we'll see the 13/14 Hendo, and if that happened, I would put my house down on us having the best midfield in world football.

I agree. He's the best of our current bunch  who can play that deep role but I've always thought that Hendo is better at going forward or in front of the DLPM than he is at defending. Personally if we are to get someone in like Dacoure or Ndidi then a midfield three of one of the above as the DLPM with Keita and Hendo would do me fine.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5375: Mar 31, 2018 04:50:17 pm
      People must think I hate Hendo and want him to fail with the amount of times I bi*ch about his performances, but I'm obsessed with midfield and love a discussion or people's opinion!

Did anyone concentrate on him vs Holland and today's game? If so, you guys notice what I have been seeing for years? If he doesn't see one of our forwards making a run behind,  he then looks to play safe, as if there are no other options :( Notice the amount of space ahead of him which he ignores?

He has the capabilies to switch play very well (How many times does he do it in a match? Not too often for my liking), but that doesn't make a you good distributor/passer, nor does the safe passing he does,  and sometimes, you don't need to switch the play when you have a better option between the lines which he rarely looks at. Also, for those that watch Jorginho vs England, do you guys see a vast difference, or is it just me?

For me, this is my most important outfield position, and perhaps maybe it's why I am so harsh on him.
      « Last Edit: Mar 31, 2018 05:01:21 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5376: Mar 31, 2018 05:06:02 pm
      People must think I hate Hendo and want him to fail with the amount of times I bi*ch about his performances, but I'm obsessed with midfield and love a discussion or people's opinion!

Did anyone concentrate on him vs Holland and today's game? If so, you guys notice what I have been seeing for years? If he doesn't see one of our forwards making a run behind,  he then looks to play safe, as if there are no other options :( Notice the amount of space ahead of him which he ignores?

He has the capabilies to switch play very well (How many times does he do it in a match? Not too often for my liking), but that doesn't make a you good distributor/passer, nor does the safe passing he does,  and sometimes, you don't need to switch the play when you have a better option between the lines which he rarely looks at. Also, for those that watch Jorginho vs England, do you guys see a vast difference, or is it just me?

For me, this is my most important outfield position, and perhaps maybe it's why I am so harsh on him.

I agree this is a position that can be upgraded, for a number of reasons including the very important aspect of defensive coverage, winning 2nd balls and that sort of thing.

When you talk about the space in front of him, I don't think Klopp wants to see the player in this role running forward with the ball. Case in point being Emre Can who, when he is used here, far too often runs into blind alleys and creates problems for us in the back (Emre is somewhat better about this, this season).

So I agree with you about needing to upgrade, but maybe  not for all the same reasons.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5377: Mar 31, 2018 05:10:56 pm
      When you talk about the space in front of him, I don't think Klopp wants to see the player in this role running forward with the ball. Case in point being Emre Can who, when he is used here, far too often runs into blind alleys and creates problems for us in the back (Emre is somewhat better about this, this season).

What I mean is, sometimes, you will find the hub player from deep able break through the lines to relieve pressure if he is unable to find a pass, something Hendo can not do. But things I have noticed , even when there is space to turn, look forward and pass , he doesn't and reverts to safe mode.

I don't think Klopp says he can't do this and that, as Hendo has said many times he has more freedom even in the deeper role due to other midfielders able to cover him, but I just don't think he understands how to play the role of a natural 6. I mean, do you really think Klopp tells him to play safe balls only and ignore our players in pockets? I highly doubt it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5378: Mar 31, 2018 05:14:34 pm
      What I mean is, sometimes, you will find the hub player from deep able break through the lines to relieve pressure if he is unable to find a pass, something Hendo can not do. But things I have noticed , even when there is space to turn, look forward and pass , he doesn't and reverts to safe mode.

I don't think Klopp says he can't do this and that, as Hendo has said many times he has more freedom even in the deeper role due to other midfielders able to cover him, but I just don't think he understands how to play the role of a natural 6.

I see. I think Klopp has talked with him about being too conservative in that way (although I think Klopp wants his #6 to be more conservative than some of us do). I DO this this is his final season of being a regular, first choice player for us.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5379: Mar 31, 2018 05:17:28 pm
      I see. I think Klopp has talked with him about being too conservative in that way (although I think Klopp wants his #6 to be more conservative than some of us do). I DO this this is his final season of being a regular, first choice player for us.

I really hope it is. I don't think many people understand how important that role is for us. The right player will make a huge difference. Just look at Hamann , Alonso, Gerrard (13/14), and I am sure players before them too.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #5380: Apr 24, 2018 10:20:01 pm
      A Captains performance tonight from Hendo.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5381: Apr 24, 2018 10:25:00 pm
      A Captains performance tonight from Hendo.

he made some real Captains tackles tonight a credit to the club tonight

Quick Reply