Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 732115 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #6003: Oct 08, 2018 01:50:01 pm
      Am I wrong in the school of thought that Henderson is instructed by Klopp to play the ball to the wingbacks/full backs more often than looking to thread a ball through the needles eye?..
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #6004: Oct 08, 2018 01:53:26 pm
      Am I wrong in the school of thought that Henderson is instructed by Klopp to play the ball to the wingbacks/full backs more often than looking to thread a ball through the needles eye?..

I think that is fair Shabs - not so much just Henderson you’ll see Van Dijk and Gomez / Lovren doing it to their respective full backs too.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6005: Oct 08, 2018 02:21:10 pm

If this were the case, why does it differ when Wijnaldum or Fabinho plays as the 6?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #6006: Oct 08, 2018 02:22:41 pm
      If this were the case, why does it differ when Wijnaldum or Fabinho plays as the 6?

I don’t think it does really - it’s a set-up rather than a player thing.

Fabinho clearly a red herring given he hasn’t started there in a meaningful game.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6007: Oct 08, 2018 02:30:39 pm
      I don’t think it does really - it’s a set-up rather than a player thing.

Fabinho clearly a red herring given he hasn’t started there in a meaningful game.

I don't know, I get the feeling Hendo finds our full backs a lot more than Fabinho or Wijnaldum. Even going back and watching the vs videos , their passing from deep is a lot more mixed.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #6008: Oct 08, 2018 02:35:08 pm
      I don't know, I get the feeling Hendo finds our full backs a lot more than Fabinho or Wijnaldum. Even going back and watching the vs videos , their passing from deep is a lot more mixed.

No two players are identical - Gini stylistically is more likely to carry the ball but we clearly seek to play out wide early as possible..........unless there’s an obvious through ball on.

Still don’t know how you can make any reasoned assessment on Fabinho in our system mate.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6009: Oct 08, 2018 02:43:21 pm
      No two players are identical - Gini stylistically is more likely to carry the ball but we clearly seek to play out wide early as possible..........unless there’s an obvious through ball on.

Still don’t know how you can make any reasoned assessment on Fabinho in our system mate.

Yeah, maybe I should take Fabinho out of the equation until he plays regularly, but his play style is certainly more similar to Wijnaldum.

But I do agree with your assessment on Wijnaldum where he holds on to the ball a little longer, waiting for another option. But I have noticed, even when the wide options are available, he doesn't necessary find/use them as quickly as Hendo would.  Perhaps that's the reason why Klopp favors him in the 6 role?
      « Last Edit: Oct 08, 2018 07:32:48 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #6010: Oct 08, 2018 02:44:50 pm

I see Gini more of a carrier too, I don’t think he is disciplined enough for a DM role, Hendo is far more aggressive in closing down & breaking up play in my opinion.. which takes him away from his natural instinct of running far more forward into attacks..
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6011: Oct 08, 2018 02:51:58 pm
      I see Gini more of a carrier too, I don’t think he is disciplined enough for a DM role, Hendo is far more aggressive in closing down & breaking up play in my opinion.. which takes him away from his natural instinct of running far more forward into attacks..

I actually disagree with that and see Gini more disciplined than Hendo due to his awareness of defending the space. However, where I agree is Hendo being far more aggressive in closing down and breaking up play (Wijnaldum is no slouch though), so I see those traits more suited in the Milner role.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #6012: Oct 08, 2018 03:36:09 pm
      I actually disagree with that and see Gini more disciplined than Hendo due to his awareness of defending the space. However, where I agree is Hendo being far more aggressive in closing down and breaking up play (Wijnaldum is no slouch though), so I see those traits more suited in the Milner role.

Agree Gini is far more disciplined than Hendo at defending space, Henderson’s natural instincts are to look for the ball.
      On another note Gini hardly ever gets dribbled past either something which again Hendo is guilty of as he charges in too early.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #6013: Oct 08, 2018 03:42:09 pm
      Amazing the breadth of opinions out there.

When you’re able to have a reasoned debate that is.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #6014: Oct 08, 2018 07:19:50 pm
      This is the area he should face questions. Not the backwards passing bullshit, but his passing in general. It hasn't been as crisp or as well placed since his plantar fascitis. Often slightly over or under hit, not a huge amount, but at his level, it causes problems. But his marshalling in front of the back for yesterday was superb.

When he pings long crossfield passes it's usually 10 yards behind the player
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #6015: Oct 08, 2018 07:34:03 pm
      It's strange reading the match thread how divided opinion is on Hendo and Gini. I don't think Hendo is good enough for us but both him and Gini did well yesterday in my opinion.

Hendo has never been the same since his injury.  In fact I would go as far as to say in our nearly year the loss of Hendo for the last few matches removed any chance of us getting over the line and winning the PL.

Since injury he has never been the same still has lots if energy but can't turn with the ball. He seems to lack vision, so much so that VVD just seems to bypass him now either passing the ball past him.or running past him. Either way it looks like Virg is fed up of the ball pinging back to him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6016: Oct 08, 2018 07:43:39 pm
      When he pings long crossfield passes it's usually 10 yards behind the player

There is no doubt Hendo has the vision , but I find his success rate pretty average, definitely not in the league of C.Adam, Gerrard, Scholes, Alonso, Neves etc, but he has been our best since Gerrard retired. I do wonder how Fabinho's long passing is, and whilst I have seen a good couple of handful of his games at Monaco, I haven't seen him play those long balls regularly, but YT compilations shows he can ping them perfectly.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6017: Oct 08, 2018 07:47:43 pm
      It's strange reading the match thread how divided opinion is on Hendo and Gini. I don't think Hendo is good enough for us but both him and Gini did well yesterday in my opinion.

Hendo has never been the same since his injury.  In fact I would go as far as to say in our nearly year the loss of Hendo for the last few matches removed any chance of us getting over the line and winning the PL.

Since injury he has never been the same still has lots if energy but can't turn with the ball. He seems to lack vision, so much so that VVD just seems to bypass him now either passing the ball past him.or running past him. Either way it looks like Virg is fed up of the ball pinging back to him.

I agree, surprised at the divided opinion on Hendo and Wijnaldum for yesterday's game.

Tbh, I don't think he has been the same since he moved in a more deeper CM role. I really don't think his injury affected his ability or physicality? Perhaps a loss in agility (although, he has never really been agile?) because he is more bulked up than before, but other than that, I can't think of anything else he might have lost because of injuries.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6018: Oct 08, 2018 09:00:58 pm
      Either way it looks like Virg is fed up of the ball pinging back to him.
      i spotted that too. Virgil even stopped passing to Hendo sometimes because of it.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #6019: Oct 09, 2018 09:59:31 am
      i spotted that too. Virgil even stopped passing to Hendo sometimes because of it.

Sorry but that’s complete fuckjng nonsense- quite clearly you are seeing things based on some pre conceived idea but there is no way would stop passing to a teammate , take your head for sh*te to get rid of the bollocks you post
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #6020: Oct 09, 2018 12:31:21 pm
      Sorry but that’s complete fuckjng nonsense- quite clearly you are seeing things based on some pre conceived idea but there is no way would stop passing to a teammate , take your head for sh*te to get rid of the bollocks you post

To be fair to Rib there were definitely a couple of occasions when Hendo was demanding  the ball but Virgil, and Lovren, didn't give it to him.

For me though it was nothing more than a case of the CB facing the play and seeing something better might have been on.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #6021: Oct 09, 2018 12:33:15 pm
      To be fair to Rib there were definitely a couple of occasions when Hendo was demanding  the ball but Virgil, and Lovren, didn't give it to him.

For me though it was nothing more than a case of the CB facing the play and seeing something better might have been on.

Good example Si of us all - to a greater / lesser degree - seeing what we go looking for.......
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #6022: Oct 09, 2018 12:36:30 pm
      Good example Si of us all - to a greater / lesser degree - seeing what we go looking for.......

Indeed mate.

I'm a big fan of Jordan, have never hidden that on here, but not blind to when he's not on top form.

Definitely don't  think he was at his best on Sunday, I know some disagree with that but he will be a major part of our season going forward.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #6023: Oct 09, 2018 12:50:30 pm
      Indeed mate.

I'm a big fan of Jordan, have never hidden that on here, but not blind to when he's not on top form.

Definitely don't  think he was at his best on Sunday, I know some disagree with that but he will be a major part of our season going forward.

Sound assessment / reasoning to me......even if I think he was better Sunday than you might.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6024: Oct 09, 2018 12:52:55 pm
      Indeed mate.

I don't think he's anywhere near top form yet, but Sunday was his best game for us this season IMO.

I don't think any of our players have hit top form yet.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #6025: Oct 09, 2018 01:08:52 pm

Exactly that - no doubt the CB’s aren’t expected just to give it to a player because he demands it - they will give it to one of the 3 or 4 options they should have , and then Henderson will go searching again for the ball , he constantly seems to be there for an outlet for the players , even if it’s a pass backwards to keep possession

Quick Reply