Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 720070 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #6762: Feb 25, 2019 02:58:12 pm
      Eh?

If there is something that Henderson doesn’t lack its fitness.

I mean due to the injuries he's had this season.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #6763: Feb 25, 2019 02:58:22 pm
      Once the Mancs went 451 after their injuries all the space was out wide. So no other options for Fab.

Henderson is never going to ask for the ball in those tight area’s, Gini could do it but again he is fairly conservative.
      Bobby dropping deep in those congested areas is him basically compensating for our midfielders inability to play in those congested zones.

Or any of the midfield surely......🤔

My point was only that Fab was most culpable - said elsewhere I don’t blame the midfield yesterday.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6764: Feb 25, 2019 03:03:29 pm
      I mean due to the injuries he's had this season.

Tactical switch for Shaqiri I think, plus he'd played a really tough game and bossed the midfield against Bayern.

No doubt Klopp and his staff looked at the metrics when planning subs, although the Firmino injury changed his plans, I expect.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6765: Feb 25, 2019 03:03:55 pm
      No.

Again with the lies.
      How old are you?

We play variations on a 433.
      Sometimes when we reset or in transition to defense it looks like a double pivot, but it isn't.

Well, either that's a lie or you don't know what you're seeing, same as with your sudden fascination with a "double pivot" that we don't actually play.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/26/Fixtures/England-Liverpool

Look at the heat maps (you don't even need to look at that if you watch our games), look at what Klopp said, and watch our games, then you will see a difference when we go from double pivot to 3 midfielders.

Remember how you saw it as a variation instead of a double 6/double pivot? And you know what, the varation actually happens way after, perhaps in December or January where we either see Wijnaldum or Keita play in the half spaces, but you would predominantly see the 2 other CM players act more as double pivots throughout the match.

Your mate Neville said we were playing a double pivot, so you ran with that.
      We weren't, and we don't, and yet for page after page, you insisted we did.
      Then you took the time to find out what a double pivot was, as opposed to 2 6's, and shut up about it.

You know what's funny? Carra called it a double pivot recently, and there are many others who called it a double 6 and then called it a double pivot too. And when I think double pivot, I think 2 CM hub players (whether 6's or 8's ) that can get forward, cover or defend as a pair, and we had that many times this season.

And for the life of me, I can not find that P.Neville video, but I sure as hell don't think he called it a double pivot, more a double 6!

This fixation you have on Henderson "not being technical" is horseshit.
      Give it up, you're embarrassing yourself.

Well, he is not as technical as other CM's, but he is also more technical than other CM players....

Henderson can indeed distribute like Fabinho.

What can I say if you think they have the same level of distribution...

I do have one last question, do you think Hendo can play like Pjanic, Kroos or Busquets if asked to?
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019 03:08:56 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6766: Feb 25, 2019 03:04:50 pm
      Sure it has and I appreciate the difference in tactics has got us this far and made us a much more solid team, but it seems to become the only way we can play this season, that is the fear.

If it doesn't work we continue to persist with it, I am not saying we need to change it up for every game but where a team looks  significantly weakened like United did yesterday I think we can take a more aggressive approach in midfield.

again for the umpteenth time our way of playing has brought us to the top of the league what it is we have done wrong .Why would a manager think you know what we have been playing the same way all season even though we are top of the league I think I will tweek it a bit and see how that goes.  THE TEAM THAT BROKE ALL RECORDS LAST SEASON IS CHASING US!!!! and yet some think we need to change. the world has gone mad
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6767: Feb 25, 2019 03:06:02 pm
      Or any of the midfield surely......🤔

My point was only that Fab was most culpable - said elsewhere I don’t blame the midfield yesterday.

Yup that’s my point really no midfielders willing to pick up the ball in the areas where a quick turn or drop of the shoulder and the opposition are running backwards.

Hence the rather predictable passing sideways to fullbacks repeat and rinse. Too easy for a good defence to nullify esp if the front 3 are not in rhythm.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6768: Feb 25, 2019 03:06:38 pm
      This is true, I am all for us having different options in games as I think that's what sets a winning team apart from the rest of the pack, the ability to adapt game to game and even within games.

I also share your enthusiasm towards Keita, I love the kid, just hope he stays in the team consistently enough to show us what his really about.  Be interesting to see what happens with Ox and Keita becomes I am not sure we can afford to have both in midfield as we would be exposed defensively, but the threat going forward is mouthwatering.

Regarding Ox and Keita, I think there's a couple of options.
      We can rotate them which imo is most likely, and we can change formation to get both of them on, by resting one of the front 3, and playing a 4222.
      This team is still evolving, and I reckon there's a couple more additions to come, as well as replacing Lallana and Milner at some point.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6769: Feb 25, 2019 03:07:09 pm
      I think people need to get over the whole "double pivot" thing,
      especially when commentators refer to it instead of saying two deeper mids or two 6s.

It's come to mean almost anything now because the proper meaning of it has long been tossed
      aside as commentators use it as a footballing "buzz word" to show they know something about the roles.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6770: Feb 25, 2019 03:10:38 pm
      Remember how you saw it as a variation instead of a double 6/double pivot? And you know what, the varation actually happens way after, perhaps in December or January where we either see Wijnaldum or Keita play in the half spaces, but you would predominantly see the 2 other CM players act more as double pivots throughout the match.

You know what's funny? Carra called it a double pivot recently, and there are many others who called it a double 6 and then called it a double pivot too. And when I think double pivot, I think 2 CM hub players (whether 6's or 8's ) that can get forward, cover or defend as a pair, and we had that many times this season.

And for the life of me, I can not find that P.Neville video, but I sure as hell don't think he called it a double pivot, more a double 6!

Well, he is not as technical as other CM's, but he is also more technical than other CM players....

What can I say if you think they have the same level of distribution...

More nonsense.

We play 2 6's with Fabinho, because when he played the lone 6 he got beaten far too easily.

As a team adds new players, it evolves, it changes and different options come into play.
      When Fabinho is fully settled, no doubt he'll play the lone 6 more often.

To read you banging on with the usual boring shtick, anyone would think a team only ever played one way.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6771: Feb 25, 2019 03:11:50 pm
      especially when commentators refer to it instead of saying two deeper mids or two 6s.

It's come to mean almost anything now because the proper meaning of it has long been tossed
      aside as commentators use it as a footballing "buzz word" to show they know something about the roles.

Exactly.
      It's like when someone has a new hobby and 5 minutes later they're spouting all the jargon to try and sound like an expert.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6772: Feb 25, 2019 03:14:30 pm
      Exactly.
      It's like when someone has a new hobby and 5 minutes later they're spouting all the jargon to try and sound like an expert.

If you break it down to roles then Rafa's 4-2-3-1 was probably the perfect example of it but Klopp's formation/team doesn't have one.
      If anything Henderson has played as a pivot at times but I don't think there's a pairing at the club that suits the double.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6773: Feb 25, 2019 03:19:08 pm
      If you break it down to roles then Rafa's 4-2-3-1 was probably the perfect example of it but Klopp's formation/team doesn't have one.
      Maybe in the future with new signings but Henderson hasn't played in the role and I don't think there's a pairing at the club that suits it either.

I think you're right.
      Alonso and Masch was perhaps the perfect example of a true double pivot, unless you go with a box to box, then it would be Masch and Gerrard.

I think Klopps plan is to have 3 similarly combative midfielders for some games, where they rotate through the 3 staggered positions.

The other way would be 2 6's and a runner (Ox, Keita) and then yet another is the Klopp cock.

The more options we have, the better.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #6774: Feb 25, 2019 03:19:27 pm
      again for the umpteenth time our way of playing has brought us to the top of the league what it is we have done wrong .Why would a manager think you know what we have been playing the same way all season even though we are top of the league I think I will tweek it a bit and see how that goes.  THE TEAM THAT BROKE ALL RECORDS LAST SEASON IS CHASING US!!!! and yet some think we need to change. the world has gone mad

Right, in the last 7 PL games we have drawn three times (with the chance of extending our lead at the top on all 3 occasions) and lost once, meaning out of 7 we have won 3, 3 ffs! If we carry on with the mentality that oh it's got us here so it must be working without addressing our recent slump in form than we will not end up champions.

Like i have said for the 'umpteenth' time i do not want us to change every game, all i am saying is in games where it is abundantly obvious it isn't working we switch it up.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6775: Feb 25, 2019 03:22:32 pm
      Right, in the last 7 PL games we have drawn three times (with the chance of extending our lead at the top on all 3 occasions) and lost once, meaning out of 7 we have won 3, 3 ffs! If we carry on with the mentality that oh it's got us here so it must be working without addressing our recent slump in form than we will not end up champions.

Like i have said for the 'umpteenth' time i do not want us to change every game, all i am saying is in games where it is abundantly obvious it isn't working we switch it up.

Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition as well.
      United did well to stifle us yesterday, by isolating the front 3 and closing off passing lanes through the middle.
      Shaqiri came on and couldn't really make an impact either, but losing Firmino is what really hurt us.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #6776: Feb 25, 2019 03:26:17 pm

Agreed
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6777: Feb 25, 2019 03:26:20 pm

What is the difference between 2 x 6 and a double pivot? The way I see it, they are the same, whether it's to have both to sit or both act more as cover for each other when one attacks/presses, does it really matter what people call it? As long as you understand it is 2 CM players, does it matter?

When Shaq plays and we have 2 CM, it is more a double 6/double pivot, but when there is a 3rd midfielder like, Wijnaldum or Keita playing in the half space, we will still see a double pivot which can be changed to a 3, and even better, the half space player can act as a 6 forming a double piviot when the other midfielder pushes up.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #6778: Feb 25, 2019 03:28:09 pm
      Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition as well.
      United did well to stifle us yesterday, by isolating the front 3 and closing off passing lanes through the middle.
      Shaqiri came on and couldn't really make an impact either, but losing Firmino is what really hurt us.

I agree mate, credit to United but Leicester and West Ham didn't really play that well did they.

I think that the Shaqiri sub should have really come earlier in the game and probably for Firmino instead. Yes we missed Bobby, his the nucleus of our front three. I also think Trent was a massive miss, especially with you explaining how the full backs aim to overload areas upfield, I think having him in, instead of Milner is even more of a miss with this in mind.

Back to Henderson, I think it comes down to consistency also, if he plays as he did against Bayern I would have nothing but praise for the lad, he was turning and first thought was to move it forward, played a couple lovely balls over the top.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6779: Feb 25, 2019 03:29:24 pm
      What is the difference between 2 x 6 and a double pivot? The way I see it, they are the same, whether it's to have both to sit or both act more as cover for each other when one attacks/presses, does it really matter what people call it? As long as you understand it is 2 CM players, does it matter?

When Shaq plays and we have 2 CM, it is more a double 6/double pivot, but when there is a 3rd midfielder like, Wijnaldum or Keita playing in the half space, we will still see a double pivot which can be changed to a 3, and even better, the half space player can act as a 6 forming a double piviot when the other midfielder pushes up.

A proper "double pivot" has a destroyer and a creator in the pairing.
      Rafa's teams at Valencia and Liverpool both had probably the best examples of it.
      2 6s that interchange is not the same as a double pivot.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6780: Feb 25, 2019 03:35:13 pm

2 6's is a defensive posture to primarily cover fullbacks.

A double pivot is a sitter and a DLP or box to box.

Then we have the volante, which is Henderson as the lone 6.

You could possibly make a case for Henderson and Wijnaldum being a double volante, but I think that's stretching it.

The difference is between an attack minded posture and a more defensively solid one.

They don't mean the same thing at all.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6781: Feb 25, 2019 03:37:12 pm
      2 6's is a defensive posture to primarily cover fullbacks.

A double pivot is a sitter and a DLP or box to box.

Then we have the volante, which is Henderson as the lone 6.

You could possibly make a case for Henderson and Wijnaldum being a double volante, but I think that's stretching it.

The difference is between an attack minded posture and a more defensively solid one.

They don't mean the same thing at all.

I thinks it's fair to say Henderson has played as volante, albeit one that's limited in what he offers the role.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6782: Feb 25, 2019 03:40:43 pm
      I agree mate, credit to United but Leicester and West Ham didn't really play that well did they.

I think that the Shaqiri sub should have really come earlier in the game and probably for Firmino instead. Yes we missed Bobby, his the nucleus of our front three. I also think Trent was a massive miss, especially with you explaining how the full backs aim to overload areas upfield, I think having him in, instead of Milner is even more of a miss with this in mind.

Back to Henderson, I think it comes down to consistency also, if he plays as he did against Bayern I would have nothing but praise for the lad, he was turning and first thought was to move it forward, played a couple lovely balls over the top.

Don't forget instructions from the manager as well.
      The little balls over the top were clearly an instruction, so we could push Bayern deeper, and THEN create overloads.

Usually, we see Henderson playing it long to the fullbacks.

People seem to forget that the lads play to instructions.
      If Klopp wants the fulcrum of attack to be wide, that's where it goes, if he wants to push teams deeper, it's passes over the tope, when we want to draw an opponent out, we drop back, pass it around a bit then pass into the spaces left by the opposition pressers.
      Creating space is a big thing, and yes, Hendersons passes to the side and back do that by drawing the opposition out.
      It's basically re-setting to go again with the sapce created.
      All it takes is one opposition player not getting back quickly enough after pressing, and it can create a chance.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6783: Feb 25, 2019 03:42:59 pm
      I thinks it's fair to say Henderson has played as volante, albeit one that's limited in what he offers the role.

Maybe, maybe not.
      It's clear that Klopp wants his focus to be on getting the ball wide as often as possible.
      It's why we see that half turn, and shift when a pass isn't on, on one flank.

For me, it's Hendersons job to dictate the pace and direction of attack. (hence Volante)
      It's the job of players further up to create the chances.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #6784: Feb 25, 2019 03:43:33 pm
      Don't forget instructions from the manager as well.
      The little balls over the top were clearly an instruction, so we could push Bayern deeper, and THEN create overloads.

Usually, we see Henderson playing it long to the fullbacks.

People seem to forget that the lads play to instructions.
      If Klopp wants the fulcrum of attack to be wide, that's where it goes, if he wants to push teams deeper, it's passes over the tope, when we want to draw an opponent out, we drop back, pass it around a bit then pass into the spaces left by the opposition pressers.
      Creating space is a big thing, and yes, Hendersons passes to the side and back do that by drawing the opposition out.
      It's basically re-setting to go again with the sapce created.
      All it takes is one opposition player not getting back quickly enough after pressing, and it can create a chance.

That's a fair point, guess it is just me being greedy and wanting to see more exciting football from Hendo, because that performance he put in against Bayern was probably his best this season IMO and going from that to the underwhelming performance against UTD (albeit the rest of the team was underwhelming) just sucks.

Quick Reply