Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 731912 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #4485: Jul 29, 2016 11:18:42 am
      You know some players are just totemic - good and bad and this kid is one.

My opinions: -

1) we're better with him in the team

2) he IS the one I see driving and berating team-mates

3) I'd only put Suarez in front of him in terms of influence in our most successful league season in umpteen years........go watch the season highlights vid if you need reminding.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4486: Jul 29, 2016 11:19:15 am
      Players get respect by earning it. Henderson doesn't command respect.

He is a piss poor captain, you can't think he inspires any players around him? The only thing he excels at is passing sideways and putting gel in his hair.

He's a utility player that shouldn't be anywhere near the first eleven.

Just because he squared up to Diego Costa once people think he's Chuck Norris.

Don't be silly.

He isn't a "utility player" at all, he is a central midfielder. If we were Barcelona or Bayern Munich he wouldn't be anywhere near the first eleven, but we aren't. In our squad, he is just about as good a central midfielder as we have (certainly in the top three) so therefore he is very near the first eleven.

Nobody thinks he's "Chuck Norris". Whoever Chuck Norris is.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4487: Jul 29, 2016 11:35:18 am
      fortunately we have a manager who sees him day in day out and that understands his performances where hampered significantly by his injuries last season.
      Better get used to seeing him because I think Klopp rates him highly.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4488: Jul 29, 2016 11:37:53 am
      Don't be silly.

He isn't a "utility player" at all, he is a central midfielder. If we were Barcelona or Bayern Munich he wouldn't be anywhere near the first eleven, but we aren't. In our squad, he is just about as good a central midfielder as we have (certainly in the top three) so therefore he is very near the first eleven.

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #4489: Jul 29, 2016 12:18:25 pm
      Don't be silly.

Maybe utility player was the wrong wording but he is pretty average at everything, that's what I meant. He doesn't excel in any midfield role. How you can call my points silly then go on to make the above comments is beyond me.

So because we are not Barcelona or Bayern Munich we should settle for average players? And because he is in the top 3 of our central midfielders (which I agree with, depressing as that is) we shouldn't be looking at better players and shouldn't be dissapointed that Henderson is considered good enough to start for us?

By your logic then Moreno is the best left back at the club and probably the best we can get so should we stick with him even though he's sh*t?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #4490: Jul 29, 2016 12:42:15 pm

Blasphemy Bigmick, you don't know who the ass-kicking machine that is Chuck Norris?

Hang your head in shame!!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4491: Jul 29, 2016 01:08:09 pm
      Maybe utility player was the wrong wording but he is pretty average at everything, that's what I meant. He doesn't excel in any midfield role. How you can call my points silly then go on to make the above comments is beyond me.

So because we are not Barcelona or Bayern Munich we should settle for average players? And because he is in the top 3 of our central midfielders (which I agree with, depressing as that is) we shouldn't be looking at better players and shouldn't be dissapointed that Henderson is considered good enough to start for us?

By your logic then Moreno is the best left back at the club and probably the best we can get so should we stick with him even though he's sh*t?

I didn't say that though did I? I said he was in our top three central midfielders which explains why he is near the starting eleven. Naturally, if we had four central midfielders who are better he wouldn't be. Equally naturally, if we signed four central midfielders who were much better than him I'd be happy.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4492: Jul 29, 2016 01:09:07 pm
      Blasphemy Bigmick, you don't know who the ass-kicking machine that is Chuck Norris?

My lad just read it and couldn't believe I wasn't familiar with him either mate  :lmao:. Tell the truth I did have a hunch he was one of those action hero types.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4493: Jul 29, 2016 01:10:43 pm

just for Mick.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #4494: Jul 29, 2016 01:25:16 pm

3) I'd only put Suarez in front of him in terms of influence in our most successful league season in umpteen years........go watch the season highlights vid if you need reminding.

You are in for one hell of a shock this season .After reading your opinions i can only guess that either .
      1 - The institution you are currently residing in has given you internet access for good behaviour.
      2-- The institution you reside in don't know you have access to the internet.
      3- You are Jordan Henderson.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4495: Jul 29, 2016 01:44:41 pm

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #4496: Jul 29, 2016 01:51:45 pm
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #4497: Jul 29, 2016 02:59:23 pm
      You are in for one hell of a shock this season .After reading your opinions i can only guess that either .
      1 - The institution you are currently residing in has given you internet access for good behaviour.
      2-- The institution you reside in don't know you have access to the internet.
      3- You are Jordan Henderson.

Er right.

Let's both hope you're wrong on everything..... :mad:
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #4498: Jul 29, 2016 03:34:33 pm
      Er right.

Let's both hope you're wrong on everything..... :mad:

Not sure about you, but I wouldn't mind being Jordan Henderson.  :lmao:

This thread really took a big hurricane of WUMs recently and amazingly it's been combatted away by some great, rational posters.

I'd thought this was a make or break season for him recently, still do, but now for some reason I'm just getting a feeling that he really is going to have an excellent season for us and I'm starting to think he will be the one who defines the character our team.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4499: Jul 29, 2016 03:43:28 pm

This thread really took a big hurricane of WUMs recently and amazingly it's been combatted away by some great, rational posters.

I'd thought this was a make or break season for him recently, still do, but now for some reason I'm just getting a feeling that he really is going to have an excellent season for us and I'm starting to think he will be the one who defines the character our team.

those of us who defend him are not saying he is the new Gerrard or Souness but the stuff posted about him is just way off the mark. A lot of his game is about his ability to get around the pitch so when you take some of his pace and strength away through injury then he isn't going to be the player we need.  If Jürgen picks him its because he trusts him to do a job and I understand Henderson himself has kept his fitness from the Euros so this is a big season for Jordan it would be nice if people wished him well rather than hope he fails so they can gloat.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #4500: Jul 29, 2016 03:45:18 pm
      My lad just read it and couldn't believe I wasn't familiar with him either mate  :lmao:. Tell the truth I did have a hunch he was one of those action hero types.
      One of the early ones mate even took on Bruce lee in one of his films think he lost that fight if my memory is right      go on you know u want to who is Bruce lee I hear you ask .?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4501: Jul 29, 2016 04:08:48 pm
      One of the early ones mate even took on Bruce lee in one of his films think he lost that fight if my memory is right      go on you know u want to who is Bruce lee I hear you ask .?

he is just pretending not to know him so we cant work out how old he is. Who is Bruce Lee?.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #4502: Jul 29, 2016 04:19:23 pm
      those of us who defend him are not saying he is the new Gerrard or Souness but the stuff posted about him is just way off the mark. A lot of his game is about his ability to get around the pitch so when you take some of his pace and strength away through injury then he isn't going to be the player we need.  If Jürgen picks him its because he trusts him to do a job and I understand Henderson himself has kept his fitness from the Euros so this is a big season for Jordan it would be nice if people wished him well rather than hope he fails so they can gloat.

As you say, the stuff being said is mostly by people who go into every season, saying and hoping that XYZ players are all going to be sh*t and have been sh*t because we haven't won the league with them yet, just because they think it'll grant them some kind of superior credibility and acceptance when it's all over and they get to run around to every thread saying how they're the knowledgeable ones who saw it coming. All just a game that they get a lot of joy out of.

I'm hoping for a good season from him and from all of our players. There are key areas that he certainly needs to improve on, but there are also a lot of strengths to his game, and a lot of people and players have commended his leadership and attitude in the squad.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #4503: Jul 29, 2016 04:22:14 pm

Why does saying a player isn't up to scratch make you a WUM?

And while you're getting this "feeling" can you send us some lottery numbers? The only thing Jordan Henderson could define the character of is flat pack furniture.

The day Jordan Henderson represents the character of Liverpool football club is the day we need to start watching something else. He's more boring than Milner.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3919 
      Reply #4504: Jul 29, 2016 04:28:31 pm
      As you say, the stuff being said is mostly by people who go into every season, saying and hoping that XYZ players are all going to be sh*t and have been sh*t because we haven't won the league with them yet, just because they think it'll grant them some kind of superior credibility and acceptance when it's all over and they get to run around to every thread saying how they're the knowledgeable ones who saw it coming. All just a game that they get a lot of joy out of.

I'm hoping for a good season from him and from all of our players. There are key areas that he certainly needs to improve on, but there are also a lot of strengths to his game, and a lot of people and players have commended his leadership and attitude in the squad.

We're moaning because he's the most important player on the pitch due to his position on and off the field.

We all want a superb midfield leader that represents everything that is amazing about Liverpool Football Club and after 5 years we all know this man isn't it.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #4505: Jul 29, 2016 04:33:40 pm
      We all want a superb midfield leader that represents everything that is amazing about Liverpool Football Club and after 5 years we all know this man isn't it.

You do know how F***ing nerdy that sounds!! :laugh:

Would rather have a sh*t-hot goal scorer that puts the fear of F***ing god into the opposition's defences again.

American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #4506: Jul 29, 2016 04:36:27 pm
      Why does saying a player isn't up to scratch make you a WUM?

And while you're getting this "feeling" can you send us some lottery numbers? The only thing Jordan Henderson could define the character of is flat pack furniture.

The day Jordan Henderson represents the character of Liverpool football club is the day we need to start watching something else. He's more boring than Milner.

There's a massive difference between saying a player isn't up to scratch, you think they may never make it here, or you're not a fan of them as a person vs. saying some of the sh*t that gets spewed from the keyboards of some of the folks on here that do it consistently with half our squad.

If you don't rate Hendo whatsoever, think he's "boring" and thus is unfit to lead our team, and think that just because he's not out there banging in 35-yard belters he's not a good player then you're perfectly entitled to your own opinion. But when it's consistent, blatantly ignorant of any form of truth or realistic opinion, and clearly done for the sole purpose of insulting our own so they can get that little sense of acceptance and credibility they've been longing for that's when one becomes a WUM.

Here's some light reading that expresses my opinions of him well:
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-liverpool-fans-need-11673975
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/06/jordan-henderson-uncool-ridiculed-criminally-undervalued/
      http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/06/euro-2016-why-criticism-of-jordan-henderson-is-unreasonable/

And for the record, flat pack furniture happens to be incredibly functional, logical, and generally good value for the cost.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4507: Jul 29, 2016 04:47:45 pm
      I echo Scotia's view on Henderson. He was fantastic two years ago. He seemed to take an initiative and a precision to his game that he otherwise did not have for much of his first two years at the club but with the wealth of attacking options he had ahead of him we really got to see what he was capable of. Case in point - through ball to Suarez against Cardiff City in December 2013 (just before Christmas) was superb in it's accuracy, pace and the way it just sliced the whole Cardiff defence to shreds. That came just days after an imperious performance in midfield against Tottenham at White Hart Lane. The win over Man City in April 2014 that set us up for the title was fantastic but it was severely tempered by the fact we missed Hendo for three matches for a desperate challenge that resulted in a straight red. That cost us and anyone who says they weren't cursing the fact he was out of the squad are, well, lying.

Henderson (and indeed the whole team), hasn't been helped by the almost constant disruption to our front line attack from season to season. In two of those seasons he's had to play and serve towards immobile, almost feckless cranes like Benteke, Balotelli and Carroll which offers him and the whole team little to work with on the ground. Sturridge has spent a good chunk of his time at Liverpool on the treatment table and we've seen the sales of pivotal forwards like Suarez and Sterling.

He really does thrive off a front three who roam, pull opposition defences from side to side and make themselves available at all stages. Providing Sturridge can stay fit, Origi hits the form he found in April and Mane utilises the pace he has in abundance I think he can fly as a midfielder once more. He's got things to work on. Last season was poor and he seemed to have difficulty in positioning himself for the press, too often finding himself in no mans land between the press point and staying back to the point that when he did advance forward the opposition player could easily navigate round him. As we need to reclaim the ball in advanced situations, Henderson's starting positions therefore will be crucial and have to be perfect going forward. Undoubtedly a massive season ahead for Jordan but one he certainly deserves the chance for!
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2016 11:29:52 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »

Quick Reply