Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 720256 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #6785: Feb 25, 2019 03:48:08 pm
      That's a fair point, guess it is just me being greedy and wanting to see more exciting football from Hendo, because that performance he put in against Bayern was probably his best this season IMO and going from that to the underwhelming performance against UTD (albeit the rest of the team was underwhelming) just sucks.

Different teams, different roles for players is all.

Against Bayern, we created a little pocket for Henderson to operate in so that he was "quarterbacking".

Against utd, he played further up, not as a playmaker primarily, but to disrupt, and regain possession high up the pitch, plus support the forwards.
      He played a couple of lovely little passes to get us in behind, but utd were sat deep and packed the defensive third, so when we lost our rhythm after the injury disruptions we couldn't find the same spaces.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6786: Feb 25, 2019 03:49:02 pm
      Maybe, maybe not.
      It's clear that Klopp wants his focus to be on getting the ball wide as often as possible.
      It's why we see that half turn, and shift when a pass isn't on, on one flank.

For me, it's Hendersons job to dictate the pace and direction of attack. (hence Volante)
      It's the job of players further up to create the chances.

Is that by design or purely as a consequence of losing Ox in the centre and not getting Fekir in the Summer.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #6787: Feb 25, 2019 03:55:19 pm
      Different teams, different roles for players is all.

Against Bayern, we created a little pocket for Henderson to operate in so that he was "quarterbacking".

Against utd, he played further up, not as a playmaker primarily, but to disrupt, and regain possession high up the pitch, plus support the forwards.
      He played a couple of lovely little passes to get us in behind, but utd were sat deep and packed the defensive third, so when we lost our rhythm after the injury disruptions we couldn't find the same spaces.

I prefer the style of play we adopted against Bayern, in that first half we created a lot of good chances but at the same time we did look vulnerable on the break, so I see the pros and cons of both.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6788: Feb 25, 2019 03:56:36 pm
      Is that by design or purely as a consequence of losing Ox in the centre and not getting Fekir in the Summer.

Maybe it's a mixture of both.
      I think Klopp likes the wide attacks with the FB's because it's easier to create overloads in those area's.
      However, a good runner like Ox, can break the lines and drag the opposition into places they don't want to be.
      When Ox hit his stride last season, we played a very good mixture of the 2 attacking styles. I think the lack of that runner has limited it a bit.
      We saw Henderson do that job in 13/14 season, but Klopp seems to prefer him further back dictating things.

That's the key for me in football; making the opposition play in spaces they don't want to.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #6789: Feb 25, 2019 03:59:25 pm
      I think the key thing is that we have a lot of midfield options now - arguably more than most in Europe.

Especially when Ox is available.

What we lack is a genuine no.10 or playmaker so there are gonna be games when we can look sterile.

Worth remembering there were plenty of those when a Coutinho and even Stevie / Xabi / Masch were here too.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6790: Feb 25, 2019 04:00:42 pm
      Maybe it's a mixture of both.
      I think Klopp likes the wide attacks with the FB's because it's easier to create overloads in those area's.
      However, a good runner like Ox, can break the lines and drag the opposition into places they don't want to be.
      When Ox hit his stride last season, we played a very good mixture of the 2 attacking styles. I think the lack of that runner has limited it a bit.
      We saw Henderson do that job in 13/14 season, but Klopp seems to prefer him further back dictating things.

That's the key for me in football; making the opposition play in spaces they don't want to.

I think without the runner the opposition is quite happy to sit deep and let midfielders have the ball.
      With Coutinho and Ox, for different reasons, the opposition had to push up more to cover the danger from midfield.
      Even if Henderson operated as the 8 I think the team would need a different attacking option in there.
      He'd probably give plenty of possession recovery high up the pitch but would still need to offload to someone else.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019 04:13:30 pm by racerx34 »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6791: Feb 25, 2019 04:05:07 pm
      I think without the runner the opposition is quite happy to sit deep and let midfielders have the ball.
      With Coutinho and Ox, for different reasons, the opposition had to push up more to cover the danger from midfield.
      Even if Henderson operated as the 8 I think the team would need a different attacking option in there.
      He'd probably give plenty of possession recovery high up the pitch but would still need to offload to someone else.

Fair points, but I'd just say that Hendersons short game is very underrated, considering what we have seen from him when he has played further up.
      He has a lot more vision and awareness than he is given credit for.

Saying that, I'd have no issue with a #10 type other than Firmino being a bit further up.
      If nothing else, it would give the opposition a focus other than Firmino in the middle.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019 04:13:39 pm by racerx34 »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6792: Feb 25, 2019 04:07:40 pm
      I think the key thing is that we have a lot of midfield options now - arguably more than most in Europe.

Especially when Ox is available.

What we lack is a genuine no.10 or playmaker so there are gonna be games when we can look sterile.

Worth remembering there were plenty of those when a Coutinho and even Stevie / Xabi / Masch were here too.

Rather than a Firmino 9.5, as a bit of a traditionalist, I would like to see us with a proper 10, but that would mean shifting things around if we want to keep the attacker/defender balance.
      Maybe go to the old system where if one FB pushed up, the other stays deep, giving a back 3 with a 6 in front.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6793: Feb 25, 2019 04:09:59 pm
      Will pick this up later, I'm being bollocked for spending too much time on the interweb and neglecting my jobs.

Good discussion lads, and given me some points to ponder.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6794: Feb 25, 2019 04:13:36 pm
      A proper "double pivot" has a destroyer and a creator in the pairing.
      Rafa's teams at Valencia and Liverpool both had probably the best examples of it.
      2 6s that interchange is not the same as a double pivot.

So how would you describe the Kroos and Modric double pivot.

I don’t think there is a “proper” definition of a double pivot just variations of two midfielders who shield the back 4.

Klopp has always tended to play with a sitter and a runner, at Dortmund Bender was the sitter and Gundogen the runner.

At LFC it has been similar with Gini as the runner alongside Henderson but it now seems like Fab is being eased into the sitting role, will be interesting to see moving forward if Hendo becomes the back up to Fab.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6795: Feb 25, 2019 04:42:50 pm
      Rafa's teams at Valencia and Liverpool both had probably the best examples of it.

I get what you are saying and can see why the double 6 differs to a double pivot for you, but I can also understand why pundits call it a double pivot because our 2 CM's have also acted as a double pivot, but if you dont pigeonhole the interchanging to 2x 6's, wouldn't you see it as a more a flexible double pivot?

2 6's is a defensive posture to primarily cover fullbacks.

A double pivot is a sitter and a DLP or box to box.

Then we have the volante, which is Henderson as the lone 6.

You could possibly make a case for Henderson and Wijnaldum being a double volante, but I think that's stretching it.

The difference is between an attack minded posture and a more defensively solid one.

They don't mean the same thing at all.

But have we not seen that from our CM players when in the double 6 ? So essentially, it can be considered a double 6 or a double pivot? We have seen that in Wijnaldum and Fabinho where one has played a sitter and the other in an attacking role, vice versa.

Is the double 6 really that much different from a double pivot? I don't see it.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019 05:10:30 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6796: Feb 25, 2019 04:47:10 pm

I don’t think there is a “proper” definition of a double pivot just variations of two midfielders who shield the back 4.

Klopp has always tended to play with a sitter and a runner, at Dortmund Bender was the sitter and Gundogen the runner.

At LFC it has been similar with Gini as the runner alongside Henderson but it now seems like Fab is being eased into the sitting role, will be interesting to see moving forward if Hendo becomes the back up to Fab.

I think using double 6 or double pivot isn't wrong hence why you see so many of these experts use it.

When we play with 2 midfielders or a 3rd in the half space (that can drop in to make a 3rd or act as a double 6 if nessassary), our midfield 2 can pretty much play the roles of a double pivot if needs be... which is essentially is a double 6?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #6797: Feb 25, 2019 05:05:36 pm

I don’t think it is - in the original sense.

As Racer says the term has been bastardised now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6798: Feb 25, 2019 05:34:08 pm
      I think using double 6 or double pivot isn't wrong hence why you see so many of these experts use it.

When we play with 2 midfielders or a 3rd in the half space (that can drop in to make a 3rd or act as a double 6 if nessassary), our midfield 2 can pretty much play the roles of a double pivot if needs be... which is essentially is a double 6?

Yeah I think people get too caught up in their own description of what a double pivot means to them.

I mean there is no written definition in the football rules of the exact roles of the two.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6799: Feb 25, 2019 06:00:53 pm
      I get what you are saying and can see why the double 6 differs to a double pivot for you, but I can also understand why pundits call it a double pivot because our 2 CM's have also acted as a double pivot, but if you dont pigeonhole the interchanging to 2x 6's, wouldn't you see it as a more a flexible double pivot?

But have we not seen that from our CM players when in the double 6 ? So essentially, it can be considered a double 6 or a double pivot? We have seen that in Wijnaldum and Fabinho where one has played a sitter and the other in an attacking role, vice versa.

Is the double 6 really that much different from a double pivot? I don't see it.

What you're doing here is trying to reinvent a phrase, because you want to be right.

Calling a bowl a "deep plate" doesn't make it anything but a bowl.

2 of the most knowledgeable members on the boards, in Racer and Scotia have both explained it, and yet you still feel the need to argue, because you are not interested in learning or understanding, you're only interested in being right.
      There are very few posters here who I take notice of when it comes to football, but Scotia and Racer are 2 of them.
      Their knowledge is second to none, so it might be best to park your ego, and understand what people are saying rather than trying to reinvent it so that you can think you're right.
      This is why I keep saying I'm bored of your shtick.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6800: Feb 25, 2019 07:09:19 pm
      What you're doing here is trying to reinvent a phrase, because you want to be right.

Calling a bowl a "deep plate" doesn't make it anything but a bowl.

2 of the most knowledgeable members on the boards, in Racer and Scotia have both explained it, and yet you still feel the need to argue, because you are not interested in learning or understanding, you're only interested in being right.
      There are very few posters here who I take notice of when it comes to football, but Scotia and Racer are 2 of them.
      Their knowledge is second to none, so it might be best to park your ego, and understand what people are saying rather than trying to reinvent it so that you can think you're right.
      This is why I keep saying I'm bored of your shtick.

2 6's is a defensive posture to primarily cover fullbacks.

A double pivot is a sitter and a DLP or box to box.

It is not about being right or wrong, I am trying to understand it from these experts POV (including Carra) as well as yours where they have called it the double pivot.

Look at your definition of the double pivot, it's basically what we have seen under Klopp (especially when Shaq is played) and as mentioned by HScRed1, it was seen in his Dortmund days where he goes with a destroyer and box-boxer, but with how multi functioning our midfielders are, they can act as both, destroyer and box-boxer as well as 2 sitters.

What is it that I am missing to not see the significant difference? There have been so many varied partnerships out there that were considered double pivots, from Khedira & Alonso, Essien & Ramires , Modric & Rakitic, Xavi and Xabi, Masch & Alonso, Gerrard & Lampard, Kante & Drinkwater etc etc, but what makes ours so different not to be called a double pivot?
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019 07:27:50 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6801: Feb 25, 2019 09:11:10 pm
      It is not about being right or wrong, I am trying to understand it from these experts POV (including Carra) as well as yours where they have called it the double pivot.

Look at your definition of the double pivot, it's basically what we have seen under Klopp (especially when Shaq is played) and as mentioned by HScRed1, it was seen in his Dortmund days where he goes with a destroyer and box-boxer, but with how multi functioning our midfielders are, they can act as both, destroyer and box-boxer as well as 2 sitters.

What is it that I am missing to not see the significant difference? There have been so many varied partnerships out there that were considered double pivots, from Khedira & Alonso, Essien & Ramires , Modric & Rakitic, Xavi and Xabi, Masch & Alonso, Gerrard & Lampard, Kante & Drinkwater etc etc, but what makes ours so different not to be called a double pivot?

As Scotia and Racer said, the definition has been bastardised, it's been dumbed down basically.

We do not, ever, play with a double pivot, so far.
      We may at some point in the future, but at this time, we do not
      We play with a lone 6 or a double 6.

You can use google and shoehorn a few more names in that you think sound good, but frankly you're wasting your time.
      This has been explained, and I'm not going to waste any more of my time on it.
      Take it or leave it, if you have a problem understanding it after all that has been posted, it's your issue.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6802: Feb 25, 2019 10:31:59 pm
      As Scotia and Racer said, the definition has been bastardised, it's been dumbed down basically.

We do not, ever, play with a double pivot, so far.
      We may at some point in the future, but at this time, we do not
      We play with a lone 6 or a double 6.

You can use google and shoehorn a few more names in that you think sound good, but frankly you're wasting your time.
      This has been explained, and I'm not going to waste any more of my time on it.
      Take it or leave it, if you have a problem understanding it after all that has been posted, it's your issue.

I have read so much sh*t from coachesvoice, Journos mentioning it, watched videos, our matches (vs Arsenal home my most recent is a good example of a double pivot/double 6 imo), other matches and even seen pundits mention the double pivot when talking us, and even on other forums where you get these super stat football geeks like Babayua (or whatever his name is) talk about it. I just haven't seen a definitive answer that differentiates the different between a double 6 and double pivot.... I don't even think I have seen anyone outside this forum mention it's not a double pivot or separate the double 6 from the double pivot.

Anyway, I have come to a conclusion for now that it's not dumbed down and there are different combos you can have in a double pivot that can also be called a double 6. And I do agree, we are wasting time, especially when I am having to read up and watch videos! I think it's time to move on.

Shame this wasn't discussed in the midfield forum, maybe the admins can move it there?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #6803: Feb 25, 2019 10:44:49 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6805: Feb 25, 2019 11:26:06 pm

Gerrard & Lampard. Jaysus.
      A perfect example of two players not to play together in the double pivot.

We've gone way off topic on this so I'll just finish up.
      Football evolves. What people talk about now is not what it was.
      Volante was effectively the 6. One of the hardest roles in football.
      Very few capable of playing the role. Guardiola, Busquets probably 2 of the best.
      Double pivot then evolves to allow a player that is creative to have more freedom by putting a covering/destroyer beside them.
      The perfect example of that, as I said, was probably Alonso & Mascherano. 
      After that then I think it evolves again as we see more and more defenders with the ability to play out with the ball.
      (Look at Van Dijk & Matip)
      So along that we probably move away from the traditional double pivot and more towards what we are seeing now.
      It's not the double pivot as it was but commentators still use the phrase cause it sounds right.

Back to Henderson. I don't think he's a fit in either role of a traditional double pivot, but he does a job as a 6 or 8.
      That's probably close enough nowadays for people to say he's playing in a double pivot.
      Will be interesting to see how he features as Keita settles.
      Fabinho and Wijnaldum have nearly nailed themselves on as starters.
      « Last Edit: Feb 26, 2019 12:16:14 am by racerx34 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6806: Feb 26, 2019 02:43:18 am
      We've gone way off topic on this so I'll just finish up.
      Football evolves. What people talk about now is not what it was.
      Volante was effectively the 6. One of the hardest roles in football.
      Very few capable of playing the role. Guardiola, Busquets probably 2 of the best.
      Double pivot then evolves to allow a player that is creative to have more freedom by putting a covering/destroyer beside them.
      The perfect example of that, as I said, was probably Alonso & Mascherano. 
      After that then I think it evolves again as we see more and more defenders with the ability to play out with the ball.
      (Look at Van Dijk & Matip)
      So along that we probably move away from the traditional double pivot and more towards what we are seeing now.
      It's not the double pivot as it was but commentators still use the phrase cause it sounds right.

Aren't we more or less on the same page? The difference is, you seem to see the double pivot only applying when you have a specialist destroyer and creator? But how much different is that to Wijnaldum & Fabinho, Hendo & Fab and Wijnaldum & Hendo partnerships where one (doesn't matter who) would sit and one would go (become an attacking outlet), effectively giving the same role as your traditional double pivot?

Maybe the double pivot you see with the midfielders we have are not the familiar specialists you know of, therefore you don't see it as a double pivot , but surely it functions the same as your traditional ones? I have no qualms with it being called a double 6 or a double pivot as both are pretty much the same in my eyes.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #6807: Feb 26, 2019 08:03:55 am
      Aren't we more or less on the same page? The difference is, you seem to see the double pivot only applying when you have a specialist destroyer and creator? But how much different is that to Wijnaldum & Fabinho, Hendo & Fab and Wijnaldum & Hendo partnerships where one (doesn't matter who) would sit and one would go (become an attacking outlet), effectively giving the same role as your traditional double pivot?

Maybe the double pivot you see with the midfielders we have are not the familiar specialists you know of, therefore you don't see it as a double pivot , but surely it functions the same as your traditional ones? I have no qualms with it being called a double 6 or a double pivot as both are pretty much the same in my eyes.

Great discussion.

To summarise and hopefully help......through repeated misuse - the old DP has come to be utilised as a phrase that describes a central midfield two (of more or less any description / style / shape) rather than the original destroyer / playmaker. In part that’s bastardisation of the term and in part it’s that modern football (Sarri aside 🤣) is “systems shmystems” - it’s become much more fluid and sophisticated.

JĂźrgen would see the traditional double pivot as restricting and insulting to his players PLUS he knows he has neither an out and out destroyer OR an out and out playmaker.

It’s the same all over the park tbf. Phil Neal scored plenty but trying to compare his position during play to TAA or Robbo is misleading. The knock on to that is that wingers are now wide forwards and CFs are almost obsolete.

We have only played with the anything resembling the traditional set-up in very short bursts in the final quarter of matches.

To answer your question PM - I guess what you’re saying is “can’t I just use it to describe any central midfield pairing?” Truth be told that has become very a la mode.......but (my tuppenceworth) is that by consequence of so many doing so it’s almost redundant as it no longer means anything distinct.

Coaches Voice etc can (on occasions) be interesting but there a lot of “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing” breeding in there and given a platform.

Enjoy your day :)

*NB - all just my take on things.

Quick Reply