Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 720565 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #6831: Mar 22, 2019 07:36:49 pm
      Henderson suddenly fit for England  ???
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6832: Mar 22, 2019 08:42:39 pm

He was never injured, he faked his injury because he didn't want us to lose vs Bayern or Fulham. Proper captain that! ;)

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6833: Mar 22, 2019 09:29:18 pm
      9 days is not sudden..wtf is wrong with you people. He has actually been superb tonight which is great news for Liverpool
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6834: Mar 22, 2019 09:29:56 pm

:lmao:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #6835: Mar 22, 2019 10:12:43 pm
      9 days is not sudden..wtf is wrong with you people. He has actually been superb tonight which is great news for Liverpool

Idiots mate.

Hendo has had a fine season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6836: Mar 22, 2019 10:21:00 pm
      While we're on the topic of England...

Jadon Sancho - one hell of a player. What an amazing job Dortmund have done with him. If he has sense he'd stay in German football. Hard to think of an attacking lineup that was more exciting than what England have at the moment.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6837: Mar 22, 2019 10:38:59 pm

9 days is not sudden..wtf is wrong with you people.

I am actually confused by these replies, what did HScRed1 say that was wrong? I don't think HScRed1 was keeping track of his injury and assumed he was out longer, hence his post.

Had I not watched Klopp's post match interview vs Fulham, I too would have been shocked in seeing Hendo tonight!

Anyway, I thought he was England's 2nd best player tonight!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6838: Mar 22, 2019 11:55:39 pm
      Seeing as though he was not fit for Sunday 5 days ago then itā€™s shithouse behaviour putting himself up for England.

JĆ¼rgen as far as I remember said the International break is good timing for him to recover and be back for the campaign.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #6839: Mar 23, 2019 02:58:54 am
      https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-vs-czech-republic-result-score-goals-raheem-sterling-hat-trick-jordan-henderson-euro-2020-a8836256.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Around eight minutes into this game, Kyle Walker got the ball in the centre of the England defence and looked up. Harry Kane was dropping deep, out of the forward line, ready to receive. Jadon Sancho was wandering up the right wing with that marvellous, languid gait of his, the sort where you can never quite tell whether heā€™s about to execute a triple elastico chop or strolling to the kitchen to make himself a sandwich. To the left, Michael Keane and Harry Maguire were the less exciting options. But hang on. Who was that blur of white streaking up the centre of the pitch, making the run in behind?

Itā€™s like Andy Warhol almost put it: in the future, everyone will be Englandā€™s No 8 for 15 minutes. And on a night where Englandā€™s superheroes took centre stage, it was one of their more humble performers who provided perhaps the gameā€™s most interesting subplot. Was it a bird? Was it a plane? Was it one of those niche midfield positions with a Spanish name that you can never quite remember? In a way, it was a little of each. For a few fleeting moments at Wembley Stadium, Jordan Henderson was set free.

Well. He played a bit higher than usual. For a bit. And yet this in itself was an arresting enough sight. For some years now, Hendersonā€™s role for England has been more nightwatchman than burglar: often the deepest midfielder at the base of the triangle, shuffling play along, plugging the gaps, deterring the break.

Remember that Monty Python sketch, Bicycle Repair Man? In a team full of superheroes in capes, Henderson offers something different: a tightening of bolts, a greasing of spokes, a pumping of tyres. Whenever your midfield is being broken, or menaced by international playmakers, Henderson is ready.

Here, however, something was different, and it didnā€™t become apparent until we saw Henderson hurtling like Gerd Muller into the centre-forward position. Walker didnā€™t see the pass, by the way. Perhaps because the last thing you expect to see these days is Henderson on the shoulder of the last man, trying to spring the offside trap.

ā€œIā€™m playing more of a deeper role, a more disciplined role,ā€ Henderson admitted back in November. ā€œNow and again you may be picking a pass or two in behind, making something happen, but when weā€™re attacking ā€“ especially at Liverpool ā€“ Iā€™m focusing on protection, being disciplined, being careful, worrying about counter-attacks, things like that. So itā€™s hard to do both.ā€

Now, with Eric Dier locking the gate behind him, Henderson could kick off his shoes and scamper. There was another stirring, unrewarded run into the right channel as Kane dropped deep with the ball and looked up for the pass. A couple of hopeful Lampard-ish forays into the 18-yard box. And then, almost as quickly as it was upon us, the Henderson-as-CAM era was over. Dier was injured. Henderson was required to stand guard once more.

And there he remained for the remaining 72 minutes of the game: not the marauding Henderson but the applauding Henderson. There he was, exhorting Englandā€™s defenders to wake up after Tomas Soucek got a free header in the England area. There he was, knocking the ball away after a promising Czech advance. There he was, the first man on the scene, mopping up the mess after Ross Barkley had done a whoopsie near the right touchline.

And there he was, one of the last men on the scene as England celebrated their opening goal. While everyone was lauding Raheem Sterling for his two-yard tap-in, Sancho for his slightly misjudged cross and Kane for his defence-splitting pass, Henderson was the one who had started the move a few passes earlier. Nobody remembered that. Nobody really seems to remember very much of anything Henderson does these days.

Which is a curious phenomenon, when you consider that this is a player who has played in a Champions League final, a World Cup semi-final, is chasing a Premier League title this season, Englandā€™s most capped active player, with a 50th appearance likely against Montenegro on Monday. Itā€™s a decent enough CV, and yet outside the red half of Merseyside, Henderson still seems the sort of player more likely to elicit a sad sigh.

His only crime, really, has been longevity. Euro 2020, should he make it, will be his fifth tournament before the age of 30. English football has always lusted after the next, shiny new toy. Declan Rice is the latest. Phil Foden may be the next. James Maddison, Harry Winks and James Ward-Prowse are all getting talked about as future England midfield generals. At the root of this, I think, lies some deep, unshakeable idea that somehow, England can do better than Henderson.

Well, can they? It rather depends what you want from your central midfielder. If itā€™s stepovers and crunching tackles, silvery bursts of pace and Instagrammable diagonal passes, then no, perhaps Henderson isnā€™t your man. If itā€™s an experienced midfielder who hardly ever gives the ball away in the most crowded area of the pitch, then letā€™s talk numbers.

So far this season ā€“ one mildly afflicted by injuries, remember ā€“ Henderson has played more passes per 90 minutes than any Premier League midfielder other than Jorginho, whose average pass length tends to be shorter. He has given the ball away less often than anybody else in his position. In the Champions League, meanwhile ā€“ the real quiz ā€“ heā€™s given the ball away once in six games, less often than any other midfielder in the competition. And here again, he was Englandā€™s most influential, most invisible midfielder: more than 100 touches, 95 passes, another cap in the bag, another win for which he will get virtually none of the credit.

But then, thatā€™s the lot of your bicycle repair man. Henderson doesnā€™t do this for match balls or glass trinkets. Heā€™ll be wryly aware that Tomas Kalas, who inadvertently tapped the ball into his own net six minutes from time, has now scored more goals for England than he has. Perhaps in his dreamier moments, he wonders about the paths not taken, the futures not seized, the spotlights not claimed. But I doubt it. And besides, weā€™ll always have those 18 minutes of pure freedom.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #6840: Mar 23, 2019 09:10:29 am
      Seeing as though he was not fit for Sunday 5 days ago then itā€™s shithouse behaviour putting himself up for England.

JĆ¼rgen as far as I remember said the International break is good timing for him to recover and be back for the campaign.

It was obviously only a minor injury and he recovered quickly from it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6841: Mar 23, 2019 09:45:37 am
      Idiots mate.

Hendo has had a fine season.
      Idiots is too strong a word really. You and Walton basically started on people for no reason. I have Walton on ignore already, so I saw his post when you quoted it. Hendo has not had a fine season either, he's been below par at best. If you look at the stats, almost every time he played we performed much worse than usual. I'd say he's had a bad season and playing him so often has cost us points.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6842: Mar 23, 2019 09:53:10 am
      I am actually confused by these replies, what did HScRed1 say that was wrong? I don't think HScRed1 was keeping track of his injury and assumed he was out longer, hence his post.

Had I not watched Klopp's post match interview vs Fulham, I too would have been shocked in seeing Hendo tonight!

Anyway, I thought he was England's 2nd best player tonight!
      to be honest, when watching the game I thought Sancho was second best player, very close to Sterling. Every one else was good but nothing near best two.

Sterling 10.
      Sancho 9.
      Everyone else 7.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6843: Mar 23, 2019 10:55:52 am
      Idiots is too strong a word really. You and Walton basically started on people for no reason. I have Walton on ignore already, so I saw his post when you quoted it. Hendo has not had a fine season either, he's been below par at best. If you look at the stats, almost every time he played we performed much worse than usual. I'd say he's had a bad season and playing him so often has cost us points.

Can't we have a break for this boring old sh*t, just the old posts over and over again. The obsession with jordan and scrutiny of every single thing he does is utterly tedious
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6844: Mar 24, 2019 02:45:07 pm
      Can't we have a break for this boring old sh*t, just the old posts over and over again. The obsession with jordan and scrutiny of every single thing he does is utterly tedious
      In my opinion the obsessed are those who come on here boasting about how great he was when he was average. He made a sloppy pass to Sancho and also lost his marker at the back, which lead to them having a shot. That got ignored and people giving him the credit for a 5-0 win that was a result that would have been the same without him. Henderson was okay, not bad but not good either.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6845: Mar 24, 2019 02:56:18 pm

he doesn't pick himself he has to attend if called up the Club cannot stop him from being picked and it was 9 days since he was injured not 5 as you suggest. It is England who decides his fitness not Liverpool a system I think is bonkers but never the less that is how it works
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #6846: Mar 24, 2019 03:25:39 pm
      In my opinion the obsessed are those who come on here boasting about how great he was when he was average. He made a sloppy pass to Sancho and also lost his marker at the back, which lead to them having a shot. That got ignored and people giving him the credit for a 5-0 win that was a result that would have been the same without him. Henderson was okay, not bad but not good either.

The obsessed are those who take time out to use any excuse to have a go at henderson. He played and england won, couldn't give a flying F**k about international  football myself. If he plays people moan, if he doesn't people still go on about him. It is pretty tedious
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #6847: Mar 24, 2019 03:31:45 pm

Youā€™re a F***ing idiot. I wasnā€™t Hendersonā€™s biggest fan either but he has quite clearly matured into a very capable / quality midfielder. Heā€™s part of a national team that got to the semiā€™s of a World Cup, final of a champions league (and Europa League) and is currently in a title race against the most expensively assembled team in premiership history.

So yeah - heā€™s just average?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6848: Mar 24, 2019 03:37:46 pm
      Youā€™re a f**king idiot. I wasnā€™t Hendersonā€™s biggest fan either but he has quite clearly matured into a very capable / quality midfielder. Heā€™s part of a national team that got to the semiā€™s of a World Cup, final of a champions league (and Europa League) and is currently in a title race against the most expensively assembled team in premiership history.

Average. Henderson is average.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6849: Mar 24, 2019 04:16:00 pm
      Youā€™re a f**king idiot. I wasnā€™t Hendersonā€™s biggest fan either but he has quite clearly matured into a very capable / quality midfielder. Heā€™s part of a national team that got to the semiā€™s of a World Cup, final of a champions league (and Europa League) and is currently in a title race against the most expensively assembled team in premiership history.

I agree, he's average. He's a decent DM and ok'ish captain but that's about it. The funniest thing recently was when people on here said he was a great attacking midfielder.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #6850: Mar 24, 2019 04:19:10 pm
      I agree, he's average. He's a decent DM and ok'ish captain but that's about it. The funniest thing recently was when people on here said he was a great attacking midfielder.

Heā€™s above average. Not a superstar - but a good player.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6851: Mar 24, 2019 04:38:48 pm
      Just did a player comparison between Hendo, Gini and Fab on whoscored. Henderson had the worst average player rating for this season from those 3 players. Why is that classed as good? 6.58 isn't good, Fabinho's 7.01 is good.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #6852: Mar 24, 2019 04:41:06 pm
      Just to echo the above comments, I think Henderson is most definitely average. He doesnā€™t particularly excel in defensive or attacking abilities. But his passing is good and his stamina is great, I cannot come up with any other real qualities of him after that though. If you compare him to midfielders that other top teams have in Europe, he is average - letā€™s be real here. However, Iā€™ll always support the players out there in Red on the pitch and I hope he continues to play his part and help the lads get trophies this year.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #6853: Mar 24, 2019 05:20:31 pm
      Just did a player comparison between Hendo, Gini and Fab on whoscored. Henderson had the worst average player rating for this season from those 3 players. Why is that classed as good? 6.58 isn't good, Fabinho's 7.01 is good.

That's sealed it for me  :f_tongueincheek:

Quick Reply