Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Beatle Ringo Starr apologises for Liverpool comments

Read 3669 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Beatle Ringo Starr apologises for Liverpool comments
      May 25, 2011 11:54:23 am
      Ringo Starr has apologised for saying he missed nothing about his home city Liverpool.

The ex Beatle, who is starting a UK tour including a Liverpool Empire gig, said he did not think he had offended Scousers with his 2008 remarks.

"I apologise to those people (who were offended), as long as they live in Liverpool, not outside," Starr told a BBC interview.

"No real Scouser took offence, only I believe people from the outside."

Starr, 70, who has homes in Los Angeles, England and Monaco, made the comments on BBC One show Friday Night with Jonathan Ross in January 2008.

It followed his performance of Liverpool 8 at the opening of Liverpool's European Capital of Culture year, which has the words "Liverpool I left you but I never let you down".

Asked by the presenter what he missed most about the city, Starr laughed. Ross asked him if there was anything he missed, to which the drummer replied "er, no...", though he went on to say he loved the city as it was where he grew up and where his family were.

“ His comments were greeted with anger from some people in Merseyside and a foliage sculpture of the drummer at Liverpool South Parkway station was beheaded by vandals three months later, with the sculptures of the three other Beatles left untouched.

Asked about the offence caused by the remarks three years ago, Starr told the BBC that Liverpool was still very important to him.

He said: "I was brought up there, I went to school there, all my childhood, my youth was there.

A topiary sculpture of Ringo Starr was beheaded shortly after his critical comments "It's silly that whoever took offence took offence."

Starr's former home in Madryn Street, Toxteth, is currently under threat of demolition as part of regeneration plans, though there is a campaign to save it.

"Deep down I think it should stay," he said.

"You know, because of the impact the Beatles had on Liverpool, that people come to see - and they should see - where we came from.

"The only thing I want, if they save my house 9 Madryn Street, is that it stays where it is because there was a rumour that they were going to knock it down and put it up somewhere else, which I thought doesn't really mean anything."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-13509119
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Re: Beatle Ringo Starr apologises for Liverpool comments
      Reply #1: May 25, 2011 11:00:28 pm
      He is so far up his own arse. Comes accross as a complete c**t
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,007 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2: May 26, 2011 01:51:47 am
      As a fellow Toxteth lad, I took great offence. And take even greater offence that it's taken 3 years for this "apology" and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that he's got a gig in Liverpool coming up. The city should tell him to F**k off, we don't need his gigs.

Most of Madryn street is tinned up anyway, which is why they wanna demolish it rather than do it up and open the houses up again. It's a typical Toxteth street, two rows of terraced two up two down houses, no front yards just straight onto the road. Few trees to make the people that live there look like the council do care. Couldn't really tell it apart from most of the streets round here. Leads onto High Parky, one of the main streets of the Toxteth area. No need to knock it down though just do the houses up and house small families that are struggling, the sort of houses round there would be ideal.

Probably end up costing more in rent to the corpy or whoever owns the houses these days though due to it being the street that c**t Ringo grew up on.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: May 26, 2011 01:59:23 am
      He actually doesn't even have anything to apologise for, don't know what's the big deal of someone saying he doesn't miss living somewhere.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,007 posts | 3352 
      Reply #4: May 26, 2011 02:05:21 am
      He actually doesn't even have anything to apologise for, don't know what's the big deal of someone saying he doesn't miss living somewhere.

It's his attitude towards the city that F***ing made him. He laughed when Jonathon Ross asked him the question. He laughed in a way to say "are you serious? what could anybody miss from that city"

He's said that he hardly sees his family because it means coming back to the city of Liverpool. He's another of those Scouse cu*ts who can't wait to put the city down at every given opportunity. Him, Cilla Black, Claire Sweeney, Paul O'Grady can all go F**k themselves.

And if doesn't miss the city, he needn't come back to promote himself or get his face in the papers when we won the Capital of Culture. Why bother coming back then? He's a F***ing tw*t who has no place in Liverpool anymore. Entire city should tell him to F**k off. That's what he's done to us.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: May 26, 2011 03:02:46 pm
      It's his attitude towards the city that f**king made him. He laughed when Jonathon Ross asked him the question. He laughed in a way to say "are you serious? what could anybody miss from that city"

He's said that he hardly sees his family because it means coming back to the city of Liverpool. He's another of those Scouse cu*ts who can't wait to put the city down at every given opportunity. Him, Cilla Black, Claire Sweeney, Paul O'Grady can all go f**k themselves.

And if doesn't miss the city, he needn't come back to promote himself or get his face in the papers when we won the Capital of Culture. Why bother coming back then? He's a f**king tw*t who has no place in Liverpool anymore. Entire city should tell him to f**k off. That's what he's done to us.

Well in that case, I agree with you. I didn't know it was that bad. I thought he had simply said "no" to a simple question. If someone said he/she doesn't miss anything about Rio, I would find him an idiot but that would be it, I'd never want or expect the person to apologize. But he's obviously a lot worse than I thought!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: May 26, 2011 05:21:20 pm
      To be honest I don't see what he's got to apologise for either. It'd be worse if he said on Jonathan Ross 'Ohhh I'd LOVE to return to Liverpool in the future' when in fact he was lying through his teeth. At least he was honest. And for sure no matter how great a place may be some people just move on in life from their roots whereas some will stay stuck to them for their whole life. You can't expect everyone brought up in Liverpool to stay there or want to stay there for the rest of their lives.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,007 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7: May 26, 2011 05:56:01 pm
      To be honest I don't see what he's got to apologise for either. It'd be worse if he said on Jonathan Ross 'Ohhh I'd LOVE to return to Liverpool in the future' when in fact he was lying through his teeth. At least he was honest. And for sure no matter how great a place may be some people just move on in life from their roots whereas some will stay stuck to them for their whole life. You can't expect everyone brought up in Liverpool to stay there or want to stay there for the rest of their lives.

No but I can expect people not to slag the city off at every given chance.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8: May 26, 2011 09:43:36 pm
      I think ringo was out of line to make the comments he did,home is home and one should never ever critisise a place that gave him so much love.

Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Jun 12, 2011 05:25:59 pm
      He laughed in a way to say "are you serious? what could anybody miss from that city"

It's your conclusion. Try not be misunderstood. We see what we want to see.
      Ascribing to someone your thoughts you need to know that person really well. Do you know him well or just able to read thoughts or you are an expert psychologist? ;) It was a joke.

He's another of those Scouse cu*ts who can't wait to put the city down at every given opportunity.

Personally, I have another opinion on that about Ringo. Can you give more proofs on your affirmation?

And if doesn't miss the city

He misses and loves the city of Liverpool:) I've read his more complete interview.  :D

I gave my proofs in other topic that not miss anything except family in a home town doesn't mean to slag it.

Holding on to resentment hurts no one but you. "All you need is love".
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,202 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #10: Jun 12, 2011 09:07:39 pm
      Looking for a big payday eh Ringo!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,007 posts | 3352 
      Reply #11: Jun 13, 2011 02:03:55 am
      It's your conclusion. Try not be misunderstood. We see what we want to see.
      Ascribing to someone your thoughts you need to know that person really well. Do you know him well or just able to read thoughts or you are an expert psychologist? ;) It was a joke.

Personally, I have another opinion on that about Ringo. Can you give more proofs on your affirmation?

He misses and loves the city of Liverpool:) I've read his more complete interview.  :D

I gave my proofs in other topic that not miss anything except family in a home town doesn't mean to slag it.

Holding on to resentment hurts no one but you. "All you need is love".

He's a c**t and has proven himself to be. If you or anybody else wishes to think so, then fair enough but don't bother trying to convince me of anything else. I know what he is.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #12: Jun 14, 2011 07:33:20 am
      He's a c**t and has proven himself to be. If you or anybody else wishes to think so, then fair enough but don't bother trying to convince me of anything else. I know what he is.

In that case, I call names anyone without no trial and record only because I don't like that person.

I am not trying to convince to think you another way about him. It would be too arrogant for me. I'm trying to understand you and take in that particular situation.

As for me, I don't like making stereotypes of people without knowing in person.
      It took me in the wrong way sometimes and then made me feel ashamed.

"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinions."  :P

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: Jun 14, 2011 07:47:52 am
      In that case, I call names anyone without no trial and record only because I don't like that person.

I am not trying to convince to think you another way about him. It would be too arrogant for me. I'm trying to understand you and take in that particular situation.

As for me, I don't like making stereotypes of people without knowing in person.
      It took me in the wrong way sometimes and then made me feel ashamed.

"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinions."  :P

So with your "not making stereotypes if not knowing in person" crap in mind, what's your opinion on our former owners?
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #14: Jun 14, 2011 09:46:51 pm
      Ringo took a bad situation and made it worse.

You really don't think we can see through your pathetic S*n-esque apology that strangely coincides with you playing here?

Get to F**k.

Quick Reply