Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Maxi (Newells Old Boys)

Read 23583 times
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Re: Maxi (Newells Old Boys)
      Reply #115: Jun 16, 2011 12:48:10 am
      Oh jesus you've got 183 friends on facebook :lmao: I bet you're a real cool dude with lots of friend in real life

Quite the opposite actually but seeing as facebook makes no distinction between friends, work colleagues, those random people you meet at parties who insist on adding you, family etc. instead choosing to class them all as "friends", I can totally see how you would draw that conclusion. I prefer to focus on quality and not quantity.  Nobody gives a sh*t about me so instead feel free to abuse me via PMs, some people are trying to discuss Maxi.

To help this back on topic, he's alright - keep.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #116: Jun 16, 2011 12:52:09 am
      Scored ten goals alright. He did.

Missed a F***ing sh*t load of easy chances. Anyone remember missing from 2 yards out against Chelsea? Or three games this year where he was one on one with the keeper and every time tried going round the keeper and instead ended up losing it to the keeper. Think it was either West Ham or Villa where he lost the ball to the keeper in one of those one on one incidents and then threw himself to the floor looking for a penalty. Also don't class two assists as a particularly decent return for a whole season. Especially for one of our "more creative players".

Like I said earlier before those two hat tricks, almost everybody wanted Maxi to be sold. All of a sudden he hits a purple patch and he's a must stay because he's this, that and the other. Who would I replace him with? Well if we're replacing a squad player with somebody who is gonna start week in week out then I'd take it. I'd take Downing (who I don't rate that highly) over Maxi. I'd take Adam Johnson any day over Maxi.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #117: Jun 16, 2011 12:53:25 am
      I was thrilled with Maxi's end of season form. Was a strong critic of him calling him deadwood but his form merited being a squad player at the most for next season. At the end of the day though I wouldn't lose sleep over a complete clear out of the left sided players though. It's that average.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #118: Jun 16, 2011 12:54:22 am
      Personally I would keep him, Maxi's a good squad player and thats it, ads strength and depth and I would still have himstarting  all day instead of f**king Stewart Downing. Only reason we should sell is if a ridiculious offer comes in which it won't, and it especially won't come from a South American club. The clubs in this  region of the footballing world are sadled with big debts and tend to loan players off third party companies, this was the case with players like Mascherano and Tevez it helps to keep costs down such as signing on fee's etc.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,373 posts | 4973 
      Reply #119: Jun 16, 2011 12:59:39 am

Missed a f**king sh*t load of easy chances. Anyone remember missing from 2 yards out against Chelsea?

That is true mate. That was a shocking miss.

I've always been pretty consistant in my opinion of Maxi and although he has had quiet games where he hasn't contributed too much when he is on form he can be very good. When we are playing at pace and passing the ball about he fits very well into that style.

Who would I replace him with? Well if we're replacing a squad player with somebody who is gonna start week in week out then I'd take it. I'd take Downing (who I don't rate that highly) over Maxi. I'd take Adam Johnson any day over Maxi.

To be honest I'd rather lose Cole and Jovanovic and replace with two quality wide players such as Johnson and keep Maxi.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be devastated if he did leave but just feel there is a place in the squad for him.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #120: Jun 16, 2011 04:19:27 pm
      Oh, what a surprise. Crouchy using old news to justify his opinion. While you're at it, why don't you chuck some YouTube videos up for us to marvel at in his glory years?. Take those 2 hat tricks out of the equation and what is left?, a couple of YouTube videos. Yawn.

Maxi is not versatile in my opinion and i can't believe that people want to keep him here based on his performances this season.

Grow up lad. You run out of sh*te to spew out so you refer to Youtube videos that i never have and never will post about Maxi? What's that about? Oh yeah, forgot you have never spoken with any sort of respect to anything i've posted. You question his versatility, i give a few valid examples in a civil manner and its straight to being a soft arse for you isn't it?

And the bit in bold is just blatantly ignorant. 'Forget his achievements and what's he achieved?' Righto. Let's forget the reasons why Kenny kept picking him and just brand him sh*te to suit your opinion. Sorted, big fella.

One thing is clear, other players have priority to leave before Maxi does. That's my point.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #121: Jun 16, 2011 04:32:37 pm

Missed a f**king sh*t load of easy chances. Anyone remember missing from 2 yards out against Chelsea? Or three games this year where he was one on one with the keeper and every time tried going round the keeper and instead ended up losing it to the keeper. Think it was either West Ham or Villa where he lost the ball to the keeper in one of those one on one incidents and then threw himself to the floor looking for a penalty. Also don't class two assists as a particularly decent return for a whole season. Especially for one of our "more creative players".

Like I said earlier before those two hat tricks, almost everybody wanted Maxi to be sold. All of a sudden he hits a purple patch and he's a must stay because he's this, that and the other. Who would I replace him with? Well if we're replacing a squad player with somebody who is gonna start week in week out then I'd take it. I'd take Downing (who I don't rate that highly) over Maxi. I'd take Adam Johnson any day over Maxi.

Exactly... creative player, my arse. His goal tally somewhat distorts his actual contribution to the team as well, pretty much like Berbatov's, who was  the league top scorer, yet not even a regular starter for his club, and was not even on the bench for the UCL final. Why is that? Because his goals were concentrated in specific matches, like the 5 goals against Blackburn, or the 3 vs us, instead of being a regular, consistent scorer. Maxi did that in a smaller scale (even more concentrated in a specific moment of the season). Obviously such thing has its merits but they shouldn't be overestimated.

One thing is clear, other players have priority to leave before Maxi does. That's my point.

I agree with that, there's no point in selling Maxi if some worse squad players are staying. But I think the moment is right for a major squad overhaul, so I really wouldn't mind to see him go.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #122: Jun 16, 2011 05:08:58 pm
      He wants to go, so let him go. No use keeping a player here against his will who won't even be in our first 11.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #123: Jun 16, 2011 05:31:51 pm
      Grow up lad. You run out of sh*te to spew out so you refer to Youtube videos that I never have and never will post about Maxi? What's that about? Oh yeah, forgot you have never spoken with any sort of respect to anything I've posted. You question his versatility, I give a few valid examples in a civil manner and its straight to being a soft arse for you isn't it?

And the bit in bold is just blatantly ignorant. 'Forget his achievements and what's he achieved?' Righto. Let's forget the reasons why Kenny kept picking him and just brand him sh*te to suit your opinion. Sorted, big fella.

Kenny kept picking him because of the situation we find ourselves in with regards to players that are not good enough for Liverpool Football Club. Maxi is just one of those players in my opinion.

I agree that with regards to priorities there are players ahead of Maxi in the queue, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he is just not good enough.

It just keeps coming back to the same problem i have every time a sh*te player gets discussed on this forum. If a player is classed as a good squad player then he is by definition not worthy of pulling on the shirt. Just my opinion but i think a lot of fans would agree with that comment.

All players that we have in a squad should be worthy of a first team place. If not they are not good enough.

As for your respect comment, maybe you should have practised what you preach when you made that feeble attempt to try and dismantle my Birmingham match report and my Hodgson post a while ago. I didn't respond in a childish manner, i'll leave it at that.

Your blatant arse licking and penchant for jumping on the backs of other posters is not becoming of a staff member. You're trouble is you refuse to see the bad in things, even when they are staring you in the face.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #124: Jun 16, 2011 06:04:53 pm
      If he stay's he stay's if he goes he goes...If he does stay and is happy to come off the bench when the need arises then good to have him here. If he want's to go back home to finish off his career then thanks for the time spent here....Either way this player does not warrant a bit*h fest on the forum.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #125: Jun 16, 2011 06:06:20 pm
      I just made vanilla and pear flavoured porridge for breakfast which makes me equally as qualified to be a good judge of character of who will make the grade at Liverpool.  If you're confused, the point I'm making is that how long you've been watching Liverpool doesn't qualify you any better to make a decision about who will make the grade here or not.  If you truthfully believe it does, then I would have been spot on in my assessment of you.  

You state the reasoning that he's a product of the previous regime and then dismiss my claims that so were Agger, Kuyt and Reina too as rubbish.  You're spot on, it is rubbish.  I only used that example so it would be clear to you how stupid saying something like that was.  

You then ask what's that got to do with your opinion on Maxi, nothing - but proceed to mention that you've been watching Liverpool since the 1980s again and act as if that's some defining factor in deciding what constitutes a Liverpool player.  Liverpool have had many unspectacular players over the years, it's not about who has the most "best players" it's about who has the best team.

If he's had a "good spell" under Kenny, why is it so out of the realms of possibility that he could keep it going.  As for my alleged football knowledge, you should be questioning it, because if it or the logic that I have used to reach my conclusions is wrong - it should be up for scrutiny.

Saying Maxi is not versatile is wrong.  He can play comfortably in a number of positions.
      Saying Maxi is very dire is wrong.  The fact you believe he's "very dire" instead of "not quite good enough" leads me to believe you're on a genuine crusade against him.
      Saying Maxi has no "definitive attributes" again is probably helping my argument more about this is genuinely about "how you see football" rather that it being a case of "Maxi having no definite attributes".

Quality little snide remark at the end though, but I'm pleased you wouldn't stoop to such "childish depths" and "sarcastic managerial comments" because you're above all that.  I may be am a c**t but I don't pretend I'm above it.  I'm off for a jog now.

I just made vanilla and pear flavoured porridge for breakfast which makes me equally as qualified to be a good judge of character of who will make the grade at Liverpool.  If you're confused, the point I'm making is that how long you've been watching Liverpool doesn't qualify you any better to make a decision about who will make the grade here or not.  If you truthfully believe it does, then I would have been spot on in my assessment of you.

What the f**k are you babbling on about?. I'm just saying that I have been following Liverpool for nearly 30 years and during that time I have seen a lot of great players here who were worthy of wearing the shirt and a lot who haven't been worthy. Nowhere in that post did I say that this made my opinion any more valid than yours. Maxi has not got the Liverpool style about him, again, this is my opinion.

You state the reasoning that he's a product of the previous regime and then dismiss my claims that so were Agger, Kuyt and Reina too as rubbish.  You're spot on, it is rubbish.  I only used that example so it would be clear to you how stupid saying something like that was.

What the f**k are you on about again?. What the f**k have Agger, Kuyt and Reina got to do with a post that is about Maxi?, the answer is absolutely nothing. I said that Maxi was the product of a previous regime, a bad product. If I thought the aforementioned players were bad I would have stated that, though clearly I didn't.

You then ask what's that got to do with your opinion on Maxi, nothing - but proceed to mention that you've been watching Liverpool since the 1980s again and act as if that's some defining factor in deciding what constitutes a Liverpool player.  Liverpool have had many unspectacular players over the years, it's not about who has the most "best players" it's about who has the best team.

I clearly stated that the fact that Agger, Reina and Kuyt were products of the previous regime had f**k all to do with my assessment of Maxi. It has no f**king relevance whatsoever. So what is your f**king point?.

If he's had a "good spell" under Kenny, why is it so out of the realms of possibility that he could keep it going.  As for my alleged football knowledge, you should be questioning it, because if it or the logic that I have used to reach my conclusions is wrong - it should be up for scrutiny.

I never said it was out of the realms of possibility that Maxi could keep it going. I just don't rate the lad. He's a freeloader who is milking this Club for all he can get. Another one of Rafa's failings in my opinion. I don't want players here who are perceived to be decent squad players as in my eyes they are not worthy of the shirt.

Saying Maxi is not versatile is wrong.  He can play comfortably in a number of positions.
      Saying Maxi is very dire is wrong.  The fact you believe he's "very dire" instead of "not quite good enough" leads me to believe you're on a genuine crusade against him.
      Saying Maxi has no "definitive attributes" again is probably helping my argument more about this is genuinely about "how you see football" rather that it being a case of "Maxi having no definite attributes".

Why is saying Maxi is not versatile wrong?. Why is saying Maxi has been very dire wrong?. Are people not allowed opinions?. Is this not a forum?. If a poll was to be put up asking if Maxi is worthy of a regular first eleven starting place then I think that it would make very interesting reading.

I think the fact that most people see him a good squad player speaks for itself in all honesty, don't you?.

Quality little snide remark at the end though, but I'm pleased you wouldn't stoop to such "childish depths" and "sarcastic managerial comments" because you're above all that.  I may be am a c**t but I don't pretend I'm above it.  I'm off for a jog now.

It wasn't a snide remark, yet you chose to see it as that. In my country it is a term used to say,"End of."

The reason I choose not to question your knowledge is that I don't really care in all honesty. You have an opinion and I have an opinion, it's not about who is right to me, it's about what way it affects Liverpool.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #126: Jun 16, 2011 06:35:55 pm
      Don't want to get into the above debate, but "jog on" does not mean end of ;),
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #127: Jun 16, 2011 06:51:04 pm
      Can't believe there is so much fuss about Maxi. It wouldn't bother me too much if he stays or goes. Not really good enough in my opinion, but there are indeed a few who should be shown the door before him.

If he is the standard of our bench next season I honestly don't believe we have a chance of the title. We need better than this if we are to challenge (imo)
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #128: Jun 16, 2011 06:55:33 pm
      Can't believe there is so much fuss about Maxi. It wouldn't bother me too much if he stays or goes. Not really good enough in my opinion, but there are indeed a few who should be shown the door before him.

If he is the standard of our bench next season I honestly don't believe we have a chance of
       the title. We need better than this if we are to challenge (imo)

Think it's the letting him go for free that doesn't make sense. I mean who can we replace him with? We would be losing someone with quality who's willing to play a bit part, those players are hard to find.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #129: Jun 16, 2011 06:58:33 pm
      Don't want to get into the above debate, but "jog on" does not mean end of ;),

In Wales 'jog on' is used to demonstrate the end of a particular discussion or argument. I understand that it can be used to mean 'F**k off' in a kind manner too.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #130: Jun 16, 2011 06:59:39 pm
      Think it's the letting him go for free that doesn't make sense. I mean who can we replace him with? We would be losing someone with quality who's willing to play a bit part, those players are hard to find.

Depends what wage he is on mate. From the look of things we will have about 20 midfield players signed up by the start of the season anyway :) If you believe the rumours anyway!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #131: Jun 16, 2011 07:05:05 pm

If he is the standard of our bench next season I honestly don't believe we have a chance of the title. We need better than this if we are to challenge (imo)

I didn't realise that so many fans think he is a good player to be honest mate, he just doesn't cut it for me and i have stated why. This has resulted in a lovely argument debate on Maxi's contribution to our Club.

I agree that there are a few players that should be shown the door before him but that still doesn't change my opinion that he should be shown the door.

I also agree with your bench quality comment as well, players like Maxi do not win you titles.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #132: Jun 16, 2011 07:36:23 pm
       A very heated and intersting debate. My two penneth is that he has been a good player in the past, but much like Poulsen and Cole is a fairly long way over the top now. Yes he can have his moments, and I like his obvious footballing intelligence, but in truth he is unsuited to the hustle and bustle of English football.

As for whether or not we should let him go for "free", well given it'll be costing us 5 million quid a year to have him sitting on the bench next season I don't consider it "free" if someone wants to take him off our hands. Surely if he's got 2 years to run, letting him go for "free" means we save 10 million quid which makes sense to me. Similarly Cole, Jovanovic, Poulsen and Konchesky. Bundle them out of the door and lets clear the decks for some players who are at least possibly good enough.

Squad player doesn't mean "poor" player, or at least it shouldn't. Maxi is like many members of our bloated squad who wouldn't get a sniff of a game at the other top teams. If he wants to go and they'll take him, get rid.   
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #133: Jun 16, 2011 08:14:57 pm
      Kenny kept picking him because of the situation we find ourselves in with regards to players that are not good enough for Liverpool Football Club. Maxi is just one of those players in my opinion.

I agree that with regards to priorities there are players ahead of Maxi in the queue, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he is just not good enough.

It just keeps coming back to the same problem i have every time a sh*te player gets discussed on this forum. If a player is classed as a good squad player then he is by definition not worthy of pulling on the shirt. Just my opinion but i think a lot of fans would agree with that comment.

All players that we have in a squad should be worthy of a first team place. If not they are not good enough.

As for your respect comment, maybe you should have practised what you preach when you made that feeble attempt to try and dismantle my Birmingham match report and my Hodgson post a while ago. I didn't respond in a childish manner, i'll leave it at that.

Your blatant arse licking and penchant for jumping on the backs of other posters is not becoming of a staff member. You're trouble is you refuse to see the bad in things, even when they are staring you in the face.

If you want too see a lack of respect, i can highlight you many posts in the Lucas thread that you posted that were directed at me? If you want to point to two posts, i can bring up a page full for you if you like. Respect is a two way street and if your dishing out sh*te in my direction i'll naturally look at you unfavourably.

And i get criticised for being over-critical if anything lad, not because i 'refuse to see the bad things'. Just ask corbally about Johnson, and look at posts in Skrtel's thread, and a few others. I see what i see and say what i say.

Anyhow, since you actually posted something worthy of debate i'll stick to responding to that instead.

Maxi is worthy of a first team shirt as he showed, because he started most games and Kenny found him undroppable. The fact we have a bench means not everyone will be a first team player and most will see his ability to come off the bench and be able to do something. Maxi isn't going to start in a title winning side every week but which team in this league has bench players that will.

Chelsea has their Kalou's, Mikel's, Benayoun's, Zhirkov's, all on the bench to be able to fill in but when they have a full strength side these players aren't starting. Utd have Anderson, probably Berbatov, Fletcher/Carrick, Nani/Valencia all rotating. That is the basis for a strong team - having the quality off the bench to fill in for your first team.

hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #134: Jun 16, 2011 08:35:12 pm
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #135: Jun 16, 2011 08:52:28 pm
      If he stay's he stay's if he goes he goes...

If he dies, he dies

Back on topic :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #136: Jun 16, 2011 09:03:58 pm
      Maxi is worthy of a first team shirt as he showed, because he started most games and Kenny found him undroppable.

Whaoh there Crouchy.

Maxi wasn't even in Kenny's starting XI when Carroll was fit. He went for Meireles on the left ahead of Maxi. And it was only due to Carroll's injury that gave Maxi a start against Birmingham which he took with both hands to be fair to him. Maxi has started just one game with Meireles and Carroll - the home leg against Braga. That to me suggests that when both Meireles and Carroll are fit, Maxi won't be anywhere near the starting XI.

Squad player is all he'll ever be. But if selling him means we're gonna get a top quality starting XI left winger then he should be sold all day long.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #137: Jun 16, 2011 09:05:13 pm
      That is the basis for a strong team - having the quality off the bench to fill in for your first team.

I agree with this mate, I just don't agree that Maxi is good enough. If we are looking for top 6 or 7 he is good enough, if we are looking to challenge for the league we need to be able to call on better when needed.

Quick Reply