Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Matias Silvestre (Catania)

Read 3857 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Matias Silvestre (Catania)
      Jun 10, 2011 09:59:44 pm

'Liverpool and Villarreal seek Silvestre'

Friday 10 June, 2011

Catania general manager Pietro Lo Monaco reveals ā€œLiverpool and Villarreal are interested in Matias Silvestre.ā€

The Argentine defender is one of several players expected to leave the Stadio Massimino over the summer.

ā€œTop of the list of those moving on is Silvestre,ā€ Lo Monaco told Itasportpress.

ā€œIā€™d struggle to keep him here, considering what a great player he is. There are two Italian clubs tracking him, but Liverpool and Villarreal are also interested in Silvestre.

ā€œSilvestre is worth as much as Thiago Silva and scores more goals.

http://www.football-italia.net/jun10aa.html
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Re: Matias Silvestre (Catania)
      Reply #1: Jun 10, 2011 10:24:32 pm

Liverpool linked to Silvestre
      Catania star reportedly attracting interest from Reds and Villarreal

Last Updated: June 10, 2011 9:59pm

Catania have claimed that Liverpool are interested in their Argentine defender Matias Silvestre.

The versatile 26-year-old has been playing for the Serie A club for the past three-and-a-half seasons, having arrived in Italy from Boca Juniors in January 2008.

His performances over the past 12 months have been particularly impressive and Catania general manager Pietro Lo Monaco admitted in April it was probably time for him to move on to a bigger stage.

Lo Monaco has now declared that Liverpool are among the clubs chasing Silvestre's signature, along with Villarreal and a couple of Italian rivals.

"Top of the list of those moving on is Silvestre," Lo Monaco told Itasportpress.

"I'd struggle to keep him here, considering what a great player he is. There are two Italian clubs tracking him, but Liverpool and Villarreal are also interested in Silvestre.

"Silvestre is worth as much as Thiago Silva and scores more goals."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6980309,00.html
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: Jun 10, 2011 11:58:08 pm
      Nearly had a heart attack when I read the sky sports link on facebook saying we were 'after Silvestre'! Then I read it was Matias not the other one. Phew!
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 11, 2011 10:55:20 am
      Nearly had a heart attack when I read the sky sports link on facebook saying we were 'after Silvestre'! Then I read it was Matias not the other one. Phew!

same here
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #4: Jun 11, 2011 11:26:44 am

On topic, Matias Silvestre is a very interesting option ... Considered a great prospect at Boca, has stayed under the radar in Italy, playing at a relatively small club ... Definitely an improvement over Kyrgiakos, and versatile enough to cover at the full back positions, if necessary ...
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Jun 12, 2011 03:20:33 am
      Great player in my opinion. Only know of him because of my FIFA10 game i got him on a free, and he's been my rock in defense for years on there :D Looked him up in real life after that and seen him play a few times since and he's definitely a quality player. As Mac Red said, slightly under the radar as well.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Jun 12, 2011 03:48:54 am
      Great player in my opinion. Only know of him because of my FIFA10 game i got him on a free, and he's been my rock in defense for years on there :D Looked him up in real life after that and seen him play a few times since and he's definitely a quality player. As Mac Red said, slightly under the radar as well.

Hmmmm only a 72 overall on Fifa 11.  Must be sh*t! :nod:
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #7: Jun 12, 2011 04:00:30 am
      This lad a centre back or a left back?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Jun 12, 2011 04:40:01 am
      Hmmmm only a 72 overall on Fifa 11.  Must be sh*t! :nod:

Got him up in the 80's on my FIFA 10 game, so he's got room to improve obviously ;D

He wouldn't be top choice if i had an open chequebook, but at the right price definitely worth the gamble.

This lad a centre back or a left back?

Centre-back.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Jun 12, 2011 01:10:35 pm
      I like him but would pass. Don't think he could step up for us.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #10: Jun 21, 2011 01:01:43 am

Catania to lose ā€˜their Thiago Silvaā€™

Monday 20 June, 2011

Catania have admitted that they will find it tough to keep Matias Silvestre. ā€œAlongside Thiago Silva, heā€™s the best defender in the League.ā€

New Catania boss Vincenzo Montella recently admitted that he expects to be deprived of the Argentine and director Pietro Lo Monaco has confirmed as much.

ā€œI think it will be very hard to keep Silvestre,ā€ the official stated on Monday.

ā€œIā€™m not being presumptuous when I say that he is the strongest centre-back in the Italian championship alongside Thiago Silva of Milan.

ā€œAs well as knowing how the defend, he also scored six goals in the past campaign ā€“ heā€™s an important player.

ā€œIt would be sad if he was to go abroad and I hope he remains in Serie A, also because he is an Oriundo which means he could be of use to the Italian national side.ā€

Silvestre, 26, is a versatile stopper who joined the Sicilian side in January 2008 after six years with Boca Juniors.

http://www.football-italia.net/jun20y.html

Quick Reply