Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Villas-Boas To Become Chelsea Boss

Read 8170 times
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 340 posts |
      Jun 20, 2011 11:19:04 am
      SSN reporting he is joining Chelsea with Hiddink as director of football.....what a surprise!
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Re: Andre Villas Boas Rumour: 'I have agreement with Liverpool'
      Reply #1: Jun 20, 2011 11:32:21 am
      Career suicide - or a great move - you decide!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Jun 20, 2011 11:33:04 am
      Potentially very good for Chavski but I'm sure Roman can F**k it up.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #3: Jun 20, 2011 11:33:10 am
      http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-Porto-boss-Andre-Villas-Boas-closing-in-on-Blues-job-article749878.html

Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas closing in on Chelsea job
      Published 10:01 20/06/11 By Martin Lipton

Former Chelsea backroom man Andre Villas-Boas was today claimed to be on the verge of a return to Stamford Bridge as the new coach of the Blues.

Roman Abramovich is said to have already agreed to pay Porto's £13million release clause to let the 33-year-old leave for the Premier League.

And while it was unclear whether the man dubbed Mini-Mourinho would be arriving as part of a managerial dream team with veteran Dutchman Guus Hiddink, the suggestions from Portugal hinted at a rapid movement towards a deal being done.

Should Villas-Boas return to Chelsea he will know many of the Blues squad, having been one of Jose Mourinho's hand-picked staff when the "Special One" came to the club in 2004.

Villas-Boas was responsible for putting together the detailed technical reports on every opponent that was the hallmark of Mourinho's Chelsea reign and was one of his key lieutenants and supporters during the rift with Abramovich that reached its inevitable end in September 2007.

But Villa-Boas, once a trusted acolyte, has moved away from his fellow Portuguese since quitting Inter to take charge at Academica de Coimbra in 2009.

Villas-Boas then moved to Porto last summer and brought the Estadio de Dragao club one of their greatest seasons, winning the Portuguese title by a record margin after going through the campaign undefeated, going a record 36 matches without defeat in all competitions and winning the Europa League Final in Dublin.

The ginger-headed Villas-Boas has been on the fringes of Chelea's radar but it was thought that he was seen as too young for the job given the pressures that took their toll on Carlo Ancelotti.

But with Abramovich ready to bankroll a huge summer spending spree - despite Tottenham's resistance over Luka Modric - it seems he is ready to turn back the clock and find the next version of the manager who brought Chelsea their greatest-ever successes.

Porto President Pinto da Costa, who had previously insisted his manager was going nowhere, changed his tune over the weekend as he said: "Villas-Boas has a contract and a release clause of EUR15m (£13m).

"If someone deposit that in our account and he wants to go, we can do nothing because it is something that is contractually specified.

"If it does not happen then he will not be going anywhere and we will not do anything to make any negotiations easy. Nothing happens unless someone pays the money and he wants to go."

Inter had been keen on talking to Porto about Villas-Boas but the Italian giants dropped their interest suddenly yesterday, believing that Chelsea have stolen a march and will not get their man.

Both Chelsea and Porto were declining to comment this morning.

Meanwhile William Hill have suspended their market on the next Chelsea manager after a surge of support for Andre Villas-Boas saw his odds slashed from 8/1 to 11/10.

"There are reports that he is lined up for the job with Guus Hiddink overseeing his role" said Hill’s spokesman Graham Sharpe. "We will wait and see whether any announcement is imminent before re-opening."
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #4: Jun 20, 2011 12:13:32 pm
      Blues in new Villas-Boas link

Porto president Pinta da Costa has admitted he is helpless to prevent Andre Villas-Boas leaving as reports claim Chelsea have made a move for him.

Over the weekend Inter Milan made an approach for the brilliant young tactician, who led Porto to three trophies last season, including the domestic double and the Europa League.

Inter, though, baulked at the idea of paying his €15million (£13.2m) release clause, but that would not be an issue for Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich if he did move for him.

Reports from Portugal claim that is the case and that Chelsea have turned their attention to the 33-year-old, who has already served as a coach at Stamford Bridge.

Villas-Boas is a protege of former Blues chief Jose Mourinho, and worked with him at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan before embarking on his managerial career in 2009.

After one year with Academica, he was appointed Porto chief in 2010 and he has blossomed.

Villas-Boas insisted after the Europa League final win that he was committed to Porto but that resolve now looks as if it could be tested.

And Da Costa admits he cannot stand in his way: "Villas Boas has a contract and a clause of €15million.

"If someone deposits €15million into our account and he wants to go, we can not do anything because it is something that is contractually specified."

Chelsea have been locked in talks with Turkey coach Guus Hiddink about returning to the club.

The Blues have been talking with Hiddink about taking either the coach's job or the sporting director role, and should he take on the latter then there would also be, in theory, room for Villas-Boas to also come on board.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,20876_6997261,00.html

SSN yellow ticker also saying a Portuguese news agency has claimed Villas-Boas is to become the new Chelsea manager.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Villas-Boas To Become Chelsea Boss
      Reply #5: Jun 20, 2011 12:15:24 pm
      Don't know why he'd want to, probably get sacked within 3 years if he doesn't deliver the champions league.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #6: Jun 20, 2011 12:20:28 pm
      Pity if it's true. Quality young manager and one I liked but won't if this is true.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jun 20, 2011 12:22:19 pm
      3 Years! thats a bit too much continuity for Abramovich wouldn't you say ;D

He gave Maureen 3 years or so, I'd expect a similar time frame for another young talented manager, bearing in mind he has a bit of a rebuilding job on his hands due the age of some of Chelsea's more senior players.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Jun 20, 2011 12:26:54 pm
      I think some of that has been down the managers rapport with players to be honest, Boas will have that as he knows the majority of the team from his time with Maureen at Chavski.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 20, 2011 12:27:16 pm
      Hope not. Hope he stays at Porto for as much as Kenny stays here, and then... ;)
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Jun 20, 2011 01:31:30 pm
      Bring him on, welcome to EPL and the Roman mad house.

We have Kenny, the rest not that important.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Jun 20, 2011 02:39:41 pm
      Shame, I liked Villas Boas. From what I could tell he was a slightly more restrained person than Maureen, but had a more attacking footballing philosophy. Much less funny than his mentor but probably less of a cock too.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #12: Jun 20, 2011 02:44:26 pm
      Not sure how much truth there is in this.

I have a mate who is a Porto fan and is pretty adamant that they do not want anybody to leave as they want to give the CL a crack with the same players and manager.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #13: Jun 20, 2011 02:48:36 pm
      Porto deny Villas-Boas reports

Porto have issued a statement to refute reports that Chelsea have activated the 15 million euro release clause inserted in coach Andre Villas-Boas's contract.

It was suggested on Monday morning in Portugal that Chelsea had offered to match the clause and had tempted Villas-Boas with a yearly salary in the region of £5 million.

Villas-Boas, who previously worked at Stamford Bridge as a member of Jose Mourinho's backroom staff, was reportedly travelling to London to finalise the deal, leaving Porto contemplating a search for a new coach.

However, the Portuguese champions have issued a statement to the Portuguese stock market (CMVM) to clarify they are unaware of Villas-Boas's clause being matched.

"FC Porto, at the request of the CMVM, hereby informs the market that the coach Andre Villas-Boas, as well as several players, has a termination clause," the statement read.

"To date, we have not received any communication that this clause will be exercised, nor that the coach agrees to such an aim."

Mourinho's former assistant attracted comparisons with the former Chelsea boss last season as he lead Porto to the domestic title and won the Portuguese Cup and Europa League.

On Sunday, Inter announced they would not pursue Villas-Boas due to the price inserted into his contract with Porto.

Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20062011/58/premier-league-porto-deny-villas-boas-reports.html
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #14: Jun 20, 2011 02:55:50 pm
      Shame, I liked Villas Boas. From what I could tell he was a slightly more restrained person than Maureen, but had a more attacking footballing philosophy. Much less funny than his mentor but probably less of a cock too.
      Not sure about the wedding tackle comparison but spot on summary otherwise.

HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Jun 20, 2011 02:56:08 pm
      Great manager, but I think he's making a mistake going to  Chelsea.

He'll be sacked if he can't win them the C/L, and there's going to be an enormous amount of pressure on him to do just that.

They had great managers before him, maureen and carlo, and they got kicked in the teeth.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Jun 20, 2011 03:59:30 pm
      He's had a good career so far, but can he manage at the Brittania on a cold December night?
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 20, 2011 04:05:41 pm
      Don't know why he'd want to, probably get sacked within 3 years if he doesn't deliver the champions league.

Quite right as well. You are paid to do a job, you fail, you get sacked. 3 yeards is more than long enough, unless perhaps you are runners up & at the same time winning other major trophies.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #18: Jun 20, 2011 04:17:53 pm
      You have got want you wanted. Gutted about this, should have been a red. The kop sang & scared the owners, lets hope we are not the new Newcastle ...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Jun 20, 2011 04:21:32 pm
      You have got want you wanted. Gutted about this, should have been a red. The kop sang & scared the owners, lets hope we are not the new Newcastle ...

Mate, go and troll some other forum.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Jun 20, 2011 04:28:53 pm
      Disappointed he's not staying at Porto or going to somewhere like Inter or Porto. I'm a very big fan of the guy and I think Chelsea have an absolute class act in their hands. Still at least he ain't replacing Sir Auld Fart at the scum.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #21: Jun 20, 2011 04:31:23 pm
      what are you on about? cant see where are you coming from
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,653 posts | 6948 
      Reply #22: Jun 20, 2011 04:36:36 pm
      what are you on about? cant see where are you coming from

I'm assuming he wanted Villas Boas to manage us as opposed to Dalglish.

Which is a perfectly valid opinion if that's what he believes.

Certainly many of us were suggesting Villas Boas back in January as a potential replacement for Hodgson.

Quick Reply