Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Villas-Boas To Become Chelsea Boss

Read 8168 times
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 340 posts |
      Jun 20, 2011 11:19:04 am
      SSN reporting he is joining Chelsea with Hiddink as director of football.....what a surprise!
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Re: Andre Villas Boas Rumour: 'I have agreement with Liverpool'
      Reply #1: Jun 20, 2011 11:32:21 am
      Career suicide - or a great move - you decide!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Jun 20, 2011 11:33:04 am
      Potentially very good for Chavski but I'm sure Roman can F**k it up.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #3: Jun 20, 2011 11:33:10 am
      http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-Porto-boss-Andre-Villas-Boas-closing-in-on-Blues-job-article749878.html

Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas closing in on Chelsea job
      Published 10:01 20/06/11 By Martin Lipton

Former Chelsea backroom man Andre Villas-Boas was today claimed to be on the verge of a return to Stamford Bridge as the new coach of the Blues.

Roman Abramovich is said to have already agreed to pay Porto's £13million release clause to let the 33-year-old leave for the Premier League.

And while it was unclear whether the man dubbed Mini-Mourinho would be arriving as part of a managerial dream team with veteran Dutchman Guus Hiddink, the suggestions from Portugal hinted at a rapid movement towards a deal being done.

Should Villas-Boas return to Chelsea he will know many of the Blues squad, having been one of Jose Mourinho's hand-picked staff when the "Special One" came to the club in 2004.

Villas-Boas was responsible for putting together the detailed technical reports on every opponent that was the hallmark of Mourinho's Chelsea reign and was one of his key lieutenants and supporters during the rift with Abramovich that reached its inevitable end in September 2007.

But Villa-Boas, once a trusted acolyte, has moved away from his fellow Portuguese since quitting Inter to take charge at Academica de Coimbra in 2009.

Villas-Boas then moved to Porto last summer and brought the Estadio de Dragao club one of their greatest seasons, winning the Portuguese title by a record margin after going through the campaign undefeated, going a record 36 matches without defeat in all competitions and winning the Europa League Final in Dublin.

The ginger-headed Villas-Boas has been on the fringes of Chelea's radar but it was thought that he was seen as too young for the job given the pressures that took their toll on Carlo Ancelotti.

But with Abramovich ready to bankroll a huge summer spending spree - despite Tottenham's resistance over Luka Modric - it seems he is ready to turn back the clock and find the next version of the manager who brought Chelsea their greatest-ever successes.

Porto President Pinto da Costa, who had previously insisted his manager was going nowhere, changed his tune over the weekend as he said: "Villas-Boas has a contract and a release clause of EUR15m (£13m).

"If someone deposit that in our account and he wants to go, we can do nothing because it is something that is contractually specified.

"If it does not happen then he will not be going anywhere and we will not do anything to make any negotiations easy. Nothing happens unless someone pays the money and he wants to go."

Inter had been keen on talking to Porto about Villas-Boas but the Italian giants dropped their interest suddenly yesterday, believing that Chelsea have stolen a march and will not get their man.

Both Chelsea and Porto were declining to comment this morning.

Meanwhile William Hill have suspended their market on the next Chelsea manager after a surge of support for Andre Villas-Boas saw his odds slashed from 8/1 to 11/10.

"There are reports that he is lined up for the job with Guus Hiddink overseeing his role" said Hill’s spokesman Graham Sharpe. "We will wait and see whether any announcement is imminent before re-opening."
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #4: Jun 20, 2011 12:13:32 pm
      Blues in new Villas-Boas link

Porto president Pinta da Costa has admitted he is helpless to prevent Andre Villas-Boas leaving as reports claim Chelsea have made a move for him.

Over the weekend Inter Milan made an approach for the brilliant young tactician, who led Porto to three trophies last season, including the domestic double and the Europa League.

Inter, though, baulked at the idea of paying his €15million (£13.2m) release clause, but that would not be an issue for Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich if he did move for him.

Reports from Portugal claim that is the case and that Chelsea have turned their attention to the 33-year-old, who has already served as a coach at Stamford Bridge.

Villas-Boas is a protege of former Blues chief Jose Mourinho, and worked with him at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan before embarking on his managerial career in 2009.

After one year with Academica, he was appointed Porto chief in 2010 and he has blossomed.

Villas-Boas insisted after the Europa League final win that he was committed to Porto but that resolve now looks as if it could be tested.

And Da Costa admits he cannot stand in his way: "Villas Boas has a contract and a clause of €15million.

"If someone deposits €15million into our account and he wants to go, we can not do anything because it is something that is contractually specified."

Chelsea have been locked in talks with Turkey coach Guus Hiddink about returning to the club.

The Blues have been talking with Hiddink about taking either the coach's job or the sporting director role, and should he take on the latter then there would also be, in theory, room for Villas-Boas to also come on board.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,20876_6997261,00.html

SSN yellow ticker also saying a Portuguese news agency has claimed Villas-Boas is to become the new Chelsea manager.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Villas-Boas To Become Chelsea Boss
      Reply #5: Jun 20, 2011 12:15:24 pm
      Don't know why he'd want to, probably get sacked within 3 years if he doesn't deliver the champions league.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #6: Jun 20, 2011 12:20:28 pm
      Pity if it's true. Quality young manager and one I liked but won't if this is true.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jun 20, 2011 12:22:19 pm
      3 Years! thats a bit too much continuity for Abramovich wouldn't you say ;D

He gave Maureen 3 years or so, I'd expect a similar time frame for another young talented manager, bearing in mind he has a bit of a rebuilding job on his hands due the age of some of Chelsea's more senior players.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Jun 20, 2011 12:26:54 pm
      I think some of that has been down the managers rapport with players to be honest, Boas will have that as he knows the majority of the team from his time with Maureen at Chavski.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 20, 2011 12:27:16 pm
      Hope not. Hope he stays at Porto for as much as Kenny stays here, and then... ;)
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Jun 20, 2011 01:31:30 pm
      Bring him on, welcome to EPL and the Roman mad house.

We have Kenny, the rest not that important.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Jun 20, 2011 02:39:41 pm
      Shame, I liked Villas Boas. From what I could tell he was a slightly more restrained person than Maureen, but had a more attacking footballing philosophy. Much less funny than his mentor but probably less of a cock too.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #12: Jun 20, 2011 02:44:26 pm
      Not sure how much truth there is in this.

I have a mate who is a Porto fan and is pretty adamant that they do not want anybody to leave as they want to give the CL a crack with the same players and manager.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #13: Jun 20, 2011 02:48:36 pm
      Porto deny Villas-Boas reports

Porto have issued a statement to refute reports that Chelsea have activated the 15 million euro release clause inserted in coach Andre Villas-Boas's contract.

It was suggested on Monday morning in Portugal that Chelsea had offered to match the clause and had tempted Villas-Boas with a yearly salary in the region of £5 million.

Villas-Boas, who previously worked at Stamford Bridge as a member of Jose Mourinho's backroom staff, was reportedly travelling to London to finalise the deal, leaving Porto contemplating a search for a new coach.

However, the Portuguese champions have issued a statement to the Portuguese stock market (CMVM) to clarify they are unaware of Villas-Boas's clause being matched.

"FC Porto, at the request of the CMVM, hereby informs the market that the coach Andre Villas-Boas, as well as several players, has a termination clause," the statement read.

"To date, we have not received any communication that this clause will be exercised, nor that the coach agrees to such an aim."

Mourinho's former assistant attracted comparisons with the former Chelsea boss last season as he lead Porto to the domestic title and won the Portuguese Cup and Europa League.

On Sunday, Inter announced they would not pursue Villas-Boas due to the price inserted into his contract with Porto.

Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20062011/58/premier-league-porto-deny-villas-boas-reports.html
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #14: Jun 20, 2011 02:55:50 pm
      Shame, I liked Villas Boas. From what I could tell he was a slightly more restrained person than Maureen, but had a more attacking footballing philosophy. Much less funny than his mentor but probably less of a cock too.
      Not sure about the wedding tackle comparison but spot on summary otherwise.

HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Jun 20, 2011 02:56:08 pm
      Great manager, but I think he's making a mistake going to  Chelsea.

He'll be sacked if he can't win them the C/L, and there's going to be an enormous amount of pressure on him to do just that.

They had great managers before him, maureen and carlo, and they got kicked in the teeth.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Jun 20, 2011 03:59:30 pm
      He's had a good career so far, but can he manage at the Brittania on a cold December night?
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 20, 2011 04:05:41 pm
      Don't know why he'd want to, probably get sacked within 3 years if he doesn't deliver the champions league.

Quite right as well. You are paid to do a job, you fail, you get sacked. 3 yeards is more than long enough, unless perhaps you are runners up & at the same time winning other major trophies.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #18: Jun 20, 2011 04:17:53 pm
      You have got want you wanted. Gutted about this, should have been a red. The kop sang & scared the owners, lets hope we are not the new Newcastle ...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Jun 20, 2011 04:21:32 pm
      You have got want you wanted. Gutted about this, should have been a red. The kop sang & scared the owners, lets hope we are not the new Newcastle ...

Mate, go and troll some other forum.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Jun 20, 2011 04:28:53 pm
      Disappointed he's not staying at Porto or going to somewhere like Inter or Porto. I'm a very big fan of the guy and I think Chelsea have an absolute class act in their hands. Still at least he ain't replacing Sir Auld Fart at the scum.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #21: Jun 20, 2011 04:31:23 pm
      what are you on about? cant see where are you coming from
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #22: Jun 20, 2011 04:36:36 pm

I'm assuming he wanted Villas Boas to manage us as opposed to Dalglish.

Which is a perfectly valid opinion if that's what he believes.

Certainly many of us were suggesting Villas Boas back in January as a potential replacement for Hodgson.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #23: Jun 20, 2011 04:39:04 pm

I wanted Boas at the club as manager, there was a chance it was going to happen. The Kop wanted Kenny, the rest is history. I'm glad we got Kenny in a way & would love him to suceed, it was great work by him to bring in Clarke as well.

Fieldsofanny rd...

Is it so wrong to have wanted Boas as manager here? What on earth has that got to do with a troll?
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #24: Jun 20, 2011 04:45:17 pm
      Fair enough,thanks
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: Jun 20, 2011 04:47:20 pm
      I wanted Boas at the club as manager, there was a chance it was going to happen. The Kop wanted Kenny, the rest is history. I'm glad we got Kenny in a way & would love him to suceed, it was great work by him to bring in Clarke as well.

Fieldsofanny rd...

Is it so wrong to have wanted Boas as manager here? What on earth has that got to do with a troll?

You're not wrong. I would have loved to see Villas Boas as Liverpool manager and was prepared to accept whoever it was - Kenny or VB. Either way we'd be in safe hands so I can't complain. The arguments for Villas Boas were just as strong as Dalglish being given the job in my honest opinion.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #26: Jun 20, 2011 04:55:05 pm

So your gutted The Kop sang and brought Kenny in, yet you're also gutted?  :-\

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #27: Jun 20, 2011 04:56:14 pm
      Back at the start of January I remember seeing a poll that had Boas on 30% and Dalglish on 15% as choice for the next LFC manager.

If Chelsea get him, then in my view they are taking a gamble - but a well educated gamble as the man appears to be a winner.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #28: Jun 20, 2011 04:58:52 pm

Fieldsofanny rd...

Its that bit mate, you make out like you're the lone voice of reason fighting against a tidelwave of naive emotion.

After 362 posts of the same stuff, it grows tiresome.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Jun 20, 2011 05:22:15 pm
      Only 33 years old... wow. My dream of becoming a football manager isn't so far away :P

I really like this guy for what's he's done in his career so far, let's see if I'll still respect him after he becomes the Chelsea manager (I still like Ancelotti, for example).
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #30: Jun 20, 2011 05:33:28 pm
      It's so typical of Chelsea! They like media-hyped managers. Not to disrespect him, he's done great with Porto but Chelsea is no dream land.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31: Jun 20, 2011 10:53:23 pm
      Only 33 years old... wow. My dream of becoming a football manager isn't so far away :P

I really like this guy for what's he's done in his career so far, let's see if I'll still respect him after he becomes the Chelsea manager (I still like Ancelotti, for example).

The only Chelsea manager of recent years I didn't have respect for was Mourinho. I though Ranieri, Scolari, Hiddink and Ancelotti were all fantastic people. Avram Grant.... hmmmm less so.
      RedtillDead
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #32: Jun 20, 2011 11:01:08 pm
      I think if he does take the job.. it could be a bit to early for him. He has had an excellent season with Porto, speaks fluent English, has worked at Chelsea before, so understands the club etc. But Chelsea don't nurture and support their managers, if things start to go wrong, does he have the experience to guide him through after a run of tough results? Can he handle the factions within the dress room? The big Drogba sized ego's who are basically the same age as him?

Chelsea have already said that they won't change the hiring and firing policy of recent years... poisoned chalice...

Could ruin a great start to a management career!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #33: Jun 20, 2011 11:05:19 pm
      Back at the start of January I remember seeing a poll that had Boas on 30% and Dalglish on 15% as choice for the next LFC manager.

If Chelsea get him, then in my view they are taking a gamble - but a well educated gamble as the man appears to be a winner.

This and a gamble that very may well pay out.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Jun 21, 2011 02:58:34 am
      Be interesting to see if he keeps his philosophy at Chelsea. Easy enough to attack in Portugal when your side is by far the best with the best players.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #35: Jun 21, 2011 03:21:53 am
      Not everyday we see a manager coming into a club where half the players (or less than half) are older or the same age as him :P
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #36: Jun 21, 2011 03:57:34 am
      Not everyday we see a manager coming into a club where half the players (or less than half) are older or the same age as him :P

Good observation.

Would be interesting to see if he will be able to sort out the changing room and demand respect as there are a lot of egos in that change room, think Terry,Drogba,Torres etc. Coaches of higher pedigree struggled with this and it was their downfall think Scolari.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #37: Jun 21, 2011 09:58:57 am
      Good observation.

Would be interesting to see if he will be able to sort out the changing room and demand respect as there are a lot of egos in that change room, think Terry,Drogba,Torres etc. Coaches of higher pedigree struggled with this and it was their downfall think Scolari.

Big ego's who won't be happy if he doesn't pick them, particularly the older players.

If I was Villas Boas I would be looking to clear a few of those players out and if Roman didn't agree I wouldn't have taken the job.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #38: Jun 21, 2011 11:07:11 am
      I wonder if he's negotiated his payoff with Chelsea yet ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Jun 21, 2011 11:33:21 am
      I see someone else has mentioned his age already.

Will be a massive job if he convinces his own age group that his ideas are what matters in the camp.

Lampard, Drogba - 33 1978
      Ferreira, Anelka - 32 1979
      Cole, Yossi, Malouda, Terry - 31 1980

kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #40: Jun 21, 2011 11:39:10 am
      He has offered Porto his resignation... Career suicide, not tested in the Champions League.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #41: Jun 21, 2011 12:03:36 pm

Depends on the length of contract, if he manages to squeeze a 3 year at £6m and fails by Xmas he'll be jollier than Santa.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #42: Jun 21, 2011 12:09:59 pm
      He has offered Porto his resignation... Career suicide, not tested in the Champions League.

Chelsea target Andre Villas-Boas resigns from Porto job

Get used to this face

Chelsea target Andre Villas-Boas has resigned as Porto coach, according to reports in Portugal.

The 33-year-old has been linked with the Blues in recent days following the sacking of Carlo Ancelotti in May.

Porto insisted on Monday that Villas-Boas could leave if a rival club paid £13.2m to activate a release clause in his contract.

The Lusa news agency has now reported Villas-Boas has terminated his Porto deal by paying the amount himself.

Villas-Boas guided Porto to a title treble last season, winning both the league and league cup as well as the Europa League.

Porto ended last season unbeaten in league with 27 wins in 30 matches, becoming only the second Portuguese club to finish a league season unbeaten, after Benfica in 1972-73.

A scout for compatriot Jose Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan, Villas-Boas began his managerial career with Portuguese club Academica in October 2009.

Academica were winless and bottom of the first division at the time but finished the season in 11th place.

They also reached a Portuguese League Cup semi-final before Villas-Boas left to take over at Porto in June 2010.

Villas-Boas, who speaks fluent English, also worked with Sir Bobby Robson during the former England manager's spell in charge of Porto.

Ancelotti was sacked by Chelsea following a season without any silverware, with the London club finishing runners-up to Manchester United in the Premier League.

Numerous candidates have been touted as possible replacements for the Italian, among them Turkey boss Guss Hiddink, Villas-Boas and former Fulham, Manchester City and Blackburn boss Mark Hughes.

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS FACTFILE

* Has an English grandmother and boasts a count and a baron among his relatives
          * Invited to work as a trainee with Porto's youth-team coaches in 1994 by Sir Bobby Robson
          * At 33, became youngest manager to win a European trophy by guiding Porto to Europa League title last season

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13858858.stm
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #43: Jun 21, 2011 12:42:29 pm
      Its that bit mate, you make out like you're the lone voice of reason fighting against a tidelwave of naive emotion.

After 362 posts of the same stuff, it grows tiresome.

Eh? i think you will find plenty wanted Boas, but where happy enough with Kenny.

My posts are the same stuff? Selective reading there mate, sorry. I have been both postive & negative. Basically telling it the way it is.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #44: Jun 21, 2011 12:51:57 pm
      Resigned eh? Not very often you hear of resignations any more is it?

What were the ages of the Porto team, there must have been some old heads there too.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #45: Jun 21, 2011 12:58:06 pm
      It looks, to all intents and purposes, that Chelsea have got themselves a star in the making here. Can Roman show him the understanding it may take to optimise that potential? Let's see.  >:D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #46: Jun 21, 2011 12:58:49 pm
      Going to pay the £13.2M compensation himself?

Bizarre goings on - but nothing surprises me when Chelsea Tap Me Up FC are involved.

It looks, to all intents and purposes, that Chelsea have got themselves a star in the making here.

Agree.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #47: Jun 21, 2011 02:45:17 pm
      I wouldnt worry lads, this is just part of his apprentiship for when kenny has won everything and decides to retire, Villas-Boas should be ready by then. ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #48: Jun 21, 2011 03:34:00 pm
      Eh? i think you will find plenty wanted Boas, but where happy enough with Kenny.

Then what is with all of this

stuff then? :-\
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #49: Jun 21, 2011 06:31:42 pm
      They are getting a very very good manager
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #50: Jun 21, 2011 06:45:49 pm
      Top manager in the making, but we will see how long he lasts with Chelsea.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #51: Jun 21, 2011 07:02:00 pm
      As much as I love Kenny, and that I would far prefer Kenny over this lad any day, I can't help but feel that Chelsea have got an absolute gem at a steal. Don't be surprised if Chelsea are a very very difficult team to play against next season.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #52: Jun 21, 2011 07:27:21 pm
      We note that the release clause of Andre Villas-Boas has been activated. We can at this time confirm our interest in him and hope to reach agreement with him on personal terms and make a further announcement in the near future.'
      Released by the Chelsea.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #53: Jun 21, 2011 08:28:58 pm
      I´ve read that he wants to take Falcao with him,superb player.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #54: Jun 21, 2011 08:42:47 pm
      Going to pay the £13.2M compensation himself?

By the sounds of it, looks like Chelsea are going to pay it.

Kerr - F***ing - ching!!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #55: Jun 21, 2011 08:42:57 pm
      Porto have given the manager job already to his assistant, signed a contract for 2 years.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #56: Jun 21, 2011 10:29:18 pm
      Then what is with all of this

stuff then? :-\

The people that wanted Kenny over Villas Boas got what they wanted... Whats so hard to understand? I of course might have made a mistake, Kenny might be much better than Villas Boas. On the other hand.....
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #57: Jun 21, 2011 10:45:22 pm
      He'll be sacked within 2 seasons just like the other 100 managers they've had in the Abramovich era.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #58: Jun 22, 2011 01:53:24 am
      I fully expect to see Falcao and Hulk follow him possibly Fucile too.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #59: Jun 22, 2011 02:00:32 am
      Don't care about Hulk. Don't think he'd do much in this league, but not Falcao. I love him and think he's a brilliant player. Seemed to have stayed at River Plate for too long and he wasn't putting in the same performances near the end of his time there as he was earlier, but he's settled in to Europe straight away. Fantastic striker.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #60: Jun 22, 2011 04:57:01 am
      Don't rate Fucile at all, not too worried about Hulk either, good but not great. Falcao however could be great for them, I think.

The people that wanted Kenny over Villas Boas got what they wanted... Whats so hard to understand? I of course might have made a mistake, Kenny might be much better than Villas Boas. On the other hand.....
      On the other hand what? What has Kenny done to not get and deserve your full support? What good does it do to question Kenny over some manager that's joining the chavs, to insinuate we might have been better off with someone else? You are on a wind up, you don't support sh*t.
      « Last Edit: Jun 22, 2011 05:07:18 am by Dexter »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #61: Jun 22, 2011 07:39:24 am
      Saw this on BBC Gossip today which states it's from The Mirror :

New Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas is set to splash out £80m to rebuild the side at Stamford Bridge. Top of his list of targets are Porto duo Radamel Falcao and Joao Moutinho, as well as Santos's Brazilian teenager Neymar.

Not exactly a bad trio top bring in!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #62: Jun 22, 2011 08:03:38 am
      Neymar is off to Madrid apparently.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #63: Jun 22, 2011 10:41:50 am
      Done Deal - 3 year contract, which will run until the 1st season he does not win the Champions League
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #64: Jun 22, 2011 10:44:29 am
      Kenny might be much better than Villas Boas.

No F***ing might about it, The King is better as a player and as a manager too!

Anyway Villas-Boas is now officially the rent-boy manager, so F**k the chelsea c**t!!
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #65: Jun 22, 2011 11:19:43 am
      On the other hand what? What has Kenny done to not get and deserve your full support? What good does it do to question Kenny over some manager that's joining the chavs, to insinuate we might have been better off with someone else? You are on a wind up, you don't support sh*t.

Wtf?

Seriously? Just because I wanted Villas Boas at the club I now dont support us & I am a wind up! ;D

You couldnt make this up, tbh its pathetic. I think for myself & if I think (God forbid) that I would want a player or manager at the club then I will. It doesnt mean I dont support us & who is the manager now! i am not saying get rid of Kenny now & bring this chap in, what I am saying & many, many LFC fans agreed at the time is that I wanted Boas last season. Is that really to hard a concept to understand?

Kenny has my full support & will do forvever, no matter want happens. Why on earth do you suggest otherwise? It doesnt mean I think he is the be all & end all...I have every right to say we might have been better of with Boas as long term I think we might. The fact he has gone the Chelsea doesnt change my opinion of him at all, thats pathetic. I guess you would also say Messi was sh*t if he joined Utd...
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #66: Jun 22, 2011 11:55:05 am
      Torres to fail royally again next season under this guy if he brings him in a strike partner.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #67: Jun 22, 2011 12:14:30 pm
      What's this, another manager that would have preferred to go to Liverpool but will be sacked by Chelsea in two seasons?

People saying he's better than Kenny need their head testing. There's no one alive who knows and loves this club more than Kenny Dalglish.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #68: Jun 22, 2011 12:31:55 pm
      I can't believe no British manager with 36 years experience was mentioned for the Chelsea job, especially when every c**t in the press thought he was good enough for our job last year.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #69: Jun 22, 2011 12:34:46 pm
      I can't believe no British manager with 36 years experience was mentioned for the Chelsea job, especially when every c**t in the press thought he was good enough for our job last year.

Dario Gradi was unavailable for comment ....
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #70: Jun 22, 2011 12:38:44 pm

Well, he is a talented coach, but extremely over-rated and over-hyped at the moment ...
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #71: Jun 22, 2011 12:53:01 pm
      He's younger than most of his squad isn't he?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #72: Jun 22, 2011 12:54:07 pm
      He's younger than most of his squad isn't he?
      He's the same age as Lampard and Drogba
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #73: Jun 22, 2011 02:21:19 pm
      Andre Villas-Boas confirmed as Chelsea manager

Page last updated at 09:43 GMT, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 10:43 UK
      E-mail this to a friendPrintable version
      Villas-Boas began his managerial career in October 2009
      Andre Villas-Boas has been confirmed as Chelsea's new manager.

The former Porto boss has signed a three-year deal and is in London on Wednesday preparing to begin work.

Villas-Boas, 33, is the same age as players Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba and won the Portuguese league, League Cup and Europa League last season.

"Andre was the outstanding candidate for the job. He is one of the most talented young managers in football today," Chelsea said in a statement.

VILLAS-BOAS FACT FILE
      Continue reading the main story
      1977: Born in Porto 17 October
      1993: Works as a trainee under Sir Bobby Robson at Porto
      1994: Achieves Uefa C coaching licence in Scotland
      2002: Becomes part of Jose Mourinho's staff at Porto
      2004: Follows Mourinho to Chelsea
      2008: Moves with Mourinho to Inter Milan
      2009: Appointed manager of Academica
      2010: Named Porto boss
      2011: Wins league, cup and Europa League in first season
      "He has already achieved much in a relatively short space of time. His ambition, drive and determination matches that of Chelsea and we are confident Andre's leadership of the team will result in greater successes in major domestic and European competitions.

"Andre will bring his coaching experience back to a club he is already very familiar with, having previously worked here for three years. He has always been highly regarded at Chelsea and everyone here looks forward to welcoming him back and working with him."

Chelsea paid the £13.3m compensation to release the Portuguese coach from his Porto contract, with Villas-Boas succeeding Carlo Ancelotti, who was sacked after a trophyless season.

Former Chelsea boss John Hollins believes Villas-Boas could prove to be a shrewd acquisition for the west London club, who are yet to realise owner Roman Abramovich's dream of winning the Champions League, and were beaten in the quarter-finals by Manchester United last season.

"He could be fearless," Hollins told BBC Sport. "I think it could be a breath of fresh air, bringing in a fresh approach to this maybe tired football team.

"This guy is as young as some of the players are so he will be on the same wavelength with them, but is it going to be a three or four-year programme as opposed to having to win something in his first year? That is the one thing we don't know yet, but he has won three competitions in Portugal just like that, so he could be a whizz-kid.

"It's a gamble but I think it's a calculated gamble. I still don't know if Guus Hiddink will be coming as an adviser to the young man. If he does, that will only strengthen the position."

Former Chelsea winger Pat Nevin agrees with Hollins that the appointment of Villas-Boas is a "calculated gamble".

"There is always a risk with every managerial appointment but he is highly regarded as one of the up and coming young European coaches and has been successful in domestic and European competition," Nevin told BBC Sport. "He is flavour of the moment and Chelsea have seen something in him."

Continue reading the main story
      Ancelotti was sacked after one season without success but unless Villas-Boas has an absolute disaster or falls out with everyone then I don't see how that can happen again
      Former Chelsea player Pat Nevin
      Phil McNulty speaks to Nevin
      Under Villas-Boas last season, Porto were unbeaten in the league, with 27 wins in 30 matches, becoming only the second Portuguese club to complete a league campaign without losing a game, after Benfica in 1972-73.

A scout for compatriot Jose Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan, Villas-Boas began his managerial career with Portuguese club Academica in October 2009.

Academica were winless and bottom of the first division at the time but finished the season in 11th place.

They also reached a Portuguese League Cup semi-final before he left to take over at Porto in June 2010.

Villas-Boas, who speaks fluent English, also worked with Sir Bobby Robson during the former England manager's spell in charge of Porto.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #74: Jun 22, 2011 02:28:15 pm

People saying he's better than Kenny need their head testing. There's no one alive who knows and loves this club more than Kenny Dalglish.

True, Kenny is the best manager on the planet. No one is capable of doing a better job. This makes me happy as without doubt we will be winning the EPL nexy season then, well the one after that at the very least. That of course will be couple with 1 or 2 FA Cups & Champs Leagues. not forgetting a Euro Super Cup, Carling Cup & Community Shield if we can be bothered with them :0

Knowing & loving the club = the best!
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #75: Jun 22, 2011 02:33:57 pm

Its probably already in the contract. Something like precontract contract.  ;D
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #76: Jun 22, 2011 02:35:34 pm
      I can't believe no British manager with 35 and a half years experience was mentioned for the Chelsea job, especially when every c**t in the press thought he was good enough for our job last year.

Fixed for you Huyton ;)
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #77: Jun 22, 2011 02:36:58 pm
      Well at least Chelsea are tackling the issue of getting their average age down ;D
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #78: Jun 22, 2011 02:41:40 pm
      Top manager in the making, but we will see how long he lasts with Chelsea.

This^^ How long he'll stay remains to be seen.

The previous managers, ie Maureen and Ancelotti are managers with a lot of success, but they got sacked, because they couldn't get big ears to Stamford Bridge.

I can't see him staying there for the full term of his contract, not with an obsessed Roman .

Good luck to him.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #79: Jun 22, 2011 02:56:59 pm

If he hadnt come to us and failed & indeed improved again staying at his previous club then I think he would have been linked. This self pity some seem to have about the media is abit depressing... :( Cheer up mate! We support Liverpool FC & have much to be happy about :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #80: Jun 22, 2011 04:25:46 pm
      Cheer up mate! We support Liverpool FC & have much to be happy about :)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh the irony!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #81: Jun 22, 2011 04:36:44 pm
      Disappointed with this, saw him as a possible Liverpool manager of the future.

I personally think he is onto a loser here no matter what either he wins the champions league in 2 years or he will be sacked. Interesting to see how he deals with a past his best Lampard.

Lampard is a massive personality there will he be able to drop him or what happens with Torres surely to F**k if his abysmal form continues Roman will let Boas drop or even sell the lad. It is going to be interesting seeing what unfolds.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #82: Jun 23, 2011 12:03:47 am

Yeah, I have never heaped praise on the club... i have never been a happy liverpool fan, jesus mate, see sh*t for what it is. Im very happy on the whole. I would have prefered Villas Boas & I would have used the Carroll & henderson money differently. I am also slightly dubious about NESV - thats all, that doesnt make me that negative surely? Its just the truth, it hurts those that are blind :(
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #83: Jun 23, 2011 01:47:20 pm
      Yeah, I have never heaped praise on the club... I have never been a happy liverpool fan, jesus mate, see sh*t for what it is. Im very happy on the whole. I would have prefered Villas Boas & I would have used the Carroll & henderson money differently. I am also slightly dubious about NESV - thats all, that doesnt make me that negative surely? Its just the truth, it hurts those that are blind :(

Must agree.  I was utterly miserable watching the sh*te in Istambul.

(This is not irony, it's sarcasm)
      TheBallWinner
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #84: Jun 28, 2011 09:16:31 pm
      Stumbled across this thread whilst browsing the forum. New here.

I wrote an article on the new Chelsea boss just recently. Anyone able to check it out and give it some feedback or comments? Would be great.

http://theballwinner.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/the-curious-case-of-villas-boas/
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #85: Jun 28, 2011 10:03:28 pm
      He,s now a chav and therefore want to punch the tw*t repeatedley in the face >:D
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #86: Jun 29, 2011 03:56:01 pm
      Di Matteo just signed up to be his number 2. Think highly of him as well, that's some staff they've got.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #87: Jun 29, 2011 03:57:50 pm
      Ya but heard Henry Winter make a very good point, he said it is not good having a highly ambitious talented manager as your number 2.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #88: Jun 29, 2011 04:15:41 pm
      That is a good point but he's clearly going there to be the number 2. He might only be there for months instead of years but to help AVB settle into England again, for me, great hire for now.

Quick Reply