Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Villas-Boas To Become Chelsea Boss

Read 8169 times
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Re: Andre Villas Boas Rumour: 'I have agreement with Liverpool'
      Reply #23: Jun 20, 2011 04:39:04 pm
      what are you on about? cant see where are you coming from

I wanted Boas at the club as manager, there was a chance it was going to happen. The Kop wanted Kenny, the rest is history. I'm glad we got Kenny in a way & would love him to suceed, it was great work by him to bring in Clarke as well.

Fieldsofanny rd...

Is it so wrong to have wanted Boas as manager here? What on earth has that got to do with a troll?
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Re: Villas-Boas To Become Chelsea Boss
      Reply #24: Jun 20, 2011 04:45:17 pm
      Fair enough,thanks
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: Jun 20, 2011 04:47:20 pm
      I wanted Boas at the club as manager, there was a chance it was going to happen. The Kop wanted Kenny, the rest is history. I'm glad we got Kenny in a way & would love him to suceed, it was great work by him to bring in Clarke as well.

Fieldsofanny rd...

Is it so wrong to have wanted Boas as manager here? What on earth has that got to do with a troll?

You're not wrong. I would have loved to see Villas Boas as Liverpool manager and was prepared to accept whoever it was - Kenny or VB. Either way we'd be in safe hands so I can't complain. The arguments for Villas Boas were just as strong as Dalglish being given the job in my honest opinion.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #26: Jun 20, 2011 04:55:05 pm

So your gutted The Kop sang and brought Kenny in, yet you're also gutted?  :-\

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #27: Jun 20, 2011 04:56:14 pm
      Back at the start of January I remember seeing a poll that had Boas on 30% and Dalglish on 15% as choice for the next LFC manager.

If Chelsea get him, then in my view they are taking a gamble - but a well educated gamble as the man appears to be a winner.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #28: Jun 20, 2011 04:58:52 pm

Fieldsofanny rd...

Its that bit mate, you make out like you're the lone voice of reason fighting against a tidelwave of naive emotion.

After 362 posts of the same stuff, it grows tiresome.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Jun 20, 2011 05:22:15 pm
      Only 33 years old... wow. My dream of becoming a football manager isn't so far away :P

I really like this guy for what's he's done in his career so far, let's see if I'll still respect him after he becomes the Chelsea manager (I still like Ancelotti, for example).
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #30: Jun 20, 2011 05:33:28 pm
      It's so typical of Chelsea! They like media-hyped managers. Not to disrespect him, he's done great with Porto but Chelsea is no dream land.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31: Jun 20, 2011 10:53:23 pm
      Only 33 years old... wow. My dream of becoming a football manager isn't so far away :P

I really like this guy for what's he's done in his career so far, let's see if I'll still respect him after he becomes the Chelsea manager (I still like Ancelotti, for example).

The only Chelsea manager of recent years I didn't have respect for was Mourinho. I though Ranieri, Scolari, Hiddink and Ancelotti were all fantastic people. Avram Grant.... hmmmm less so.
      RedtillDead
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #32: Jun 20, 2011 11:01:08 pm
      I think if he does take the job.. it could be a bit to early for him. He has had an excellent season with Porto, speaks fluent English, has worked at Chelsea before, so understands the club etc. But Chelsea don't nurture and support their managers, if things start to go wrong, does he have the experience to guide him through after a run of tough results? Can he handle the factions within the dress room? The big Drogba sized ego's who are basically the same age as him?

Chelsea have already said that they won't change the hiring and firing policy of recent years... poisoned chalice...

Could ruin a great start to a management career!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #33: Jun 20, 2011 11:05:19 pm
      Back at the start of January I remember seeing a poll that had Boas on 30% and Dalglish on 15% as choice for the next LFC manager.

If Chelsea get him, then in my view they are taking a gamble - but a well educated gamble as the man appears to be a winner.

This and a gamble that very may well pay out.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Jun 21, 2011 02:58:34 am
      Be interesting to see if he keeps his philosophy at Chelsea. Easy enough to attack in Portugal when your side is by far the best with the best players.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #35: Jun 21, 2011 03:21:53 am
      Not everyday we see a manager coming into a club where half the players (or less than half) are older or the same age as him :P
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #36: Jun 21, 2011 03:57:34 am
      Not everyday we see a manager coming into a club where half the players (or less than half) are older or the same age as him :P

Good observation.

Would be interesting to see if he will be able to sort out the changing room and demand respect as there are a lot of egos in that change room, think Terry,Drogba,Torres etc. Coaches of higher pedigree struggled with this and it was their downfall think Scolari.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #37: Jun 21, 2011 09:58:57 am
      Good observation.

Would be interesting to see if he will be able to sort out the changing room and demand respect as there are a lot of egos in that change room, think Terry,Drogba,Torres etc. Coaches of higher pedigree struggled with this and it was their downfall think Scolari.

Big ego's who won't be happy if he doesn't pick them, particularly the older players.

If I was Villas Boas I would be looking to clear a few of those players out and if Roman didn't agree I wouldn't have taken the job.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #38: Jun 21, 2011 11:07:11 am
      I wonder if he's negotiated his payoff with Chelsea yet ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Jun 21, 2011 11:33:21 am
      I see someone else has mentioned his age already.

Will be a massive job if he convinces his own age group that his ideas are what matters in the camp.

Lampard, Drogba - 33 1978
      Ferreira, Anelka - 32 1979
      Cole, Yossi, Malouda, Terry - 31 1980

kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #40: Jun 21, 2011 11:39:10 am
      He has offered Porto his resignation... Career suicide, not tested in the Champions League.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #41: Jun 21, 2011 12:03:36 pm
      I wonder if he's negotiated his payoff with Chelsea yet ?

Depends on the length of contract, if he manages to squeeze a 3 year at £6m and fails by Xmas he'll be jollier than Santa.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #42: Jun 21, 2011 12:09:59 pm
      He has offered Porto his resignation... Career suicide, not tested in the Champions League.

Chelsea target Andre Villas-Boas resigns from Porto job

Get used to this face

Chelsea target Andre Villas-Boas has resigned as Porto coach, according to reports in Portugal.

The 33-year-old has been linked with the Blues in recent days following the sacking of Carlo Ancelotti in May.

Porto insisted on Monday that Villas-Boas could leave if a rival club paid £13.2m to activate a release clause in his contract.

The Lusa news agency has now reported Villas-Boas has terminated his Porto deal by paying the amount himself.

Villas-Boas guided Porto to a title treble last season, winning both the league and league cup as well as the Europa League.

Porto ended last season unbeaten in league with 27 wins in 30 matches, becoming only the second Portuguese club to finish a league season unbeaten, after Benfica in 1972-73.

A scout for compatriot Jose Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan, Villas-Boas began his managerial career with Portuguese club Academica in October 2009.

Academica were winless and bottom of the first division at the time but finished the season in 11th place.

They also reached a Portuguese League Cup semi-final before Villas-Boas left to take over at Porto in June 2010.

Villas-Boas, who speaks fluent English, also worked with Sir Bobby Robson during the former England manager's spell in charge of Porto.

Ancelotti was sacked by Chelsea following a season without any silverware, with the London club finishing runners-up to Manchester United in the Premier League.

Numerous candidates have been touted as possible replacements for the Italian, among them Turkey boss Guss Hiddink, Villas-Boas and former Fulham, Manchester City and Blackburn boss Mark Hughes.

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS FACTFILE

* Has an English grandmother and boasts a count and a baron among his relatives
          * Invited to work as a trainee with Porto's youth-team coaches in 1994 by Sir Bobby Robson
          * At 33, became youngest manager to win a European trophy by guiding Porto to Europa League title last season

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13858858.stm
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #43: Jun 21, 2011 12:42:29 pm
      Its that bit mate, you make out like you're the lone voice of reason fighting against a tidelwave of naive emotion.

After 362 posts of the same stuff, it grows tiresome.

Eh? i think you will find plenty wanted Boas, but where happy enough with Kenny.

My posts are the same stuff? Selective reading there mate, sorry. I have been both postive & negative. Basically telling it the way it is.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #44: Jun 21, 2011 12:51:57 pm
      Resigned eh? Not very often you hear of resignations any more is it?

What were the ages of the Porto team, there must have been some old heads there too.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #45: Jun 21, 2011 12:58:06 pm
      It looks, to all intents and purposes, that Chelsea have got themselves a star in the making here. Can Roman show him the understanding it may take to optimise that potential? Let's see.  >:D

Quick Reply