Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Villas-Boas To Become Chelsea Boss

Read 8167 times
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Re: Villas-Boas To Become Chelsea Boss
      Reply #69: Jun 22, 2011 12:34:46 pm
      I can't believe no British manager with 36 years experience was mentioned for the Chelsea job, especially when every c**t in the press thought he was good enough for our job last year.

Dario Gradi was unavailable for comment ....
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #70: Jun 22, 2011 12:38:44 pm

Well, he is a talented coach, but extremely over-rated and over-hyped at the moment ...
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #71: Jun 22, 2011 12:53:01 pm
      He's younger than most of his squad isn't he?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #72: Jun 22, 2011 12:54:07 pm
      He's younger than most of his squad isn't he?
      He's the same age as Lampard and Drogba
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #73: Jun 22, 2011 02:21:19 pm
      Andre Villas-Boas confirmed as Chelsea manager

Page last updated at 09:43 GMT, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 10:43 UK
      E-mail this to a friendPrintable version
      Villas-Boas began his managerial career in October 2009
      Andre Villas-Boas has been confirmed as Chelsea's new manager.

The former Porto boss has signed a three-year deal and is in London on Wednesday preparing to begin work.

Villas-Boas, 33, is the same age as players Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba and won the Portuguese league, League Cup and Europa League last season.

"Andre was the outstanding candidate for the job. He is one of the most talented young managers in football today," Chelsea said in a statement.

VILLAS-BOAS FACT FILE
      Continue reading the main story
      1977: Born in Porto 17 October
      1993: Works as a trainee under Sir Bobby Robson at Porto
      1994: Achieves Uefa C coaching licence in Scotland
      2002: Becomes part of Jose Mourinho's staff at Porto
      2004: Follows Mourinho to Chelsea
      2008: Moves with Mourinho to Inter Milan
      2009: Appointed manager of Academica
      2010: Named Porto boss
      2011: Wins league, cup and Europa League in first season
      "He has already achieved much in a relatively short space of time. His ambition, drive and determination matches that of Chelsea and we are confident Andre's leadership of the team will result in greater successes in major domestic and European competitions.

"Andre will bring his coaching experience back to a club he is already very familiar with, having previously worked here for three years. He has always been highly regarded at Chelsea and everyone here looks forward to welcoming him back and working with him."

Chelsea paid the £13.3m compensation to release the Portuguese coach from his Porto contract, with Villas-Boas succeeding Carlo Ancelotti, who was sacked after a trophyless season.

Former Chelsea boss John Hollins believes Villas-Boas could prove to be a shrewd acquisition for the west London club, who are yet to realise owner Roman Abramovich's dream of winning the Champions League, and were beaten in the quarter-finals by Manchester United last season.

"He could be fearless," Hollins told BBC Sport. "I think it could be a breath of fresh air, bringing in a fresh approach to this maybe tired football team.

"This guy is as young as some of the players are so he will be on the same wavelength with them, but is it going to be a three or four-year programme as opposed to having to win something in his first year? That is the one thing we don't know yet, but he has won three competitions in Portugal just like that, so he could be a whizz-kid.

"It's a gamble but I think it's a calculated gamble. I still don't know if Guus Hiddink will be coming as an adviser to the young man. If he does, that will only strengthen the position."

Former Chelsea winger Pat Nevin agrees with Hollins that the appointment of Villas-Boas is a "calculated gamble".

"There is always a risk with every managerial appointment but he is highly regarded as one of the up and coming young European coaches and has been successful in domestic and European competition," Nevin told BBC Sport. "He is flavour of the moment and Chelsea have seen something in him."

Continue reading the main story
      Ancelotti was sacked after one season without success but unless Villas-Boas has an absolute disaster or falls out with everyone then I don't see how that can happen again
      Former Chelsea player Pat Nevin
      Phil McNulty speaks to Nevin
      Under Villas-Boas last season, Porto were unbeaten in the league, with 27 wins in 30 matches, becoming only the second Portuguese club to complete a league campaign without losing a game, after Benfica in 1972-73.

A scout for compatriot Jose Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan, Villas-Boas began his managerial career with Portuguese club Academica in October 2009.

Academica were winless and bottom of the first division at the time but finished the season in 11th place.

They also reached a Portuguese League Cup semi-final before he left to take over at Porto in June 2010.

Villas-Boas, who speaks fluent English, also worked with Sir Bobby Robson during the former England manager's spell in charge of Porto.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #74: Jun 22, 2011 02:28:15 pm

People saying he's better than Kenny need their head testing. There's no one alive who knows and loves this club more than Kenny Dalglish.

True, Kenny is the best manager on the planet. No one is capable of doing a better job. This makes me happy as without doubt we will be winning the EPL nexy season then, well the one after that at the very least. That of course will be couple with 1 or 2 FA Cups & Champs Leagues. not forgetting a Euro Super Cup, Carling Cup & Community Shield if we can be bothered with them :0

Knowing & loving the club = the best!
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #75: Jun 22, 2011 02:33:57 pm
      I wonder if he's negotiated his payoff with Chelsea yet ?

Its probably already in the contract. Something like precontract contract.  ;D
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #76: Jun 22, 2011 02:35:34 pm
      I can't believe no British manager with 35 and a half years experience was mentioned for the Chelsea job, especially when every c**t in the press thought he was good enough for our job last year.

Fixed for you Huyton ;)
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #77: Jun 22, 2011 02:36:58 pm
      Well at least Chelsea are tackling the issue of getting their average age down ;D
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #78: Jun 22, 2011 02:41:40 pm
      Top manager in the making, but we will see how long he lasts with Chelsea.

This^^ How long he'll stay remains to be seen.

The previous managers, ie Maureen and Ancelotti are managers with a lot of success, but they got sacked, because they couldn't get big ears to Stamford Bridge.

I can't see him staying there for the full term of his contract, not with an obsessed Roman .

Good luck to him.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #79: Jun 22, 2011 02:56:59 pm
      I can't believe no British manager with 36 years experience was mentioned for the Chelsea job, especially when every c**t in the press thought he was good enough for our job last year.

If he hadnt come to us and failed & indeed improved again staying at his previous club then I think he would have been linked. This self pity some seem to have about the media is abit depressing... :( Cheer up mate! We support Liverpool FC & have much to be happy about :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #80: Jun 22, 2011 04:25:46 pm
      Cheer up mate! We support Liverpool FC & have much to be happy about :)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh the irony!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #81: Jun 22, 2011 04:36:44 pm
      Disappointed with this, saw him as a possible Liverpool manager of the future.

I personally think he is onto a loser here no matter what either he wins the champions league in 2 years or he will be sacked. Interesting to see how he deals with a past his best Lampard.

Lampard is a massive personality there will he be able to drop him or what happens with Torres surely to F**k if his abysmal form continues Roman will let Boas drop or even sell the lad. It is going to be interesting seeing what unfolds.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #82: Jun 23, 2011 12:03:47 am

Yeah, I have never heaped praise on the club... i have never been a happy liverpool fan, jesus mate, see sh*t for what it is. Im very happy on the whole. I would have prefered Villas Boas & I would have used the Carroll & henderson money differently. I am also slightly dubious about NESV - thats all, that doesnt make me that negative surely? Its just the truth, it hurts those that are blind :(
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #83: Jun 23, 2011 01:47:20 pm
      Yeah, I have never heaped praise on the club... I have never been a happy liverpool fan, jesus mate, see sh*t for what it is. Im very happy on the whole. I would have prefered Villas Boas & I would have used the Carroll & henderson money differently. I am also slightly dubious about NESV - thats all, that doesnt make me that negative surely? Its just the truth, it hurts those that are blind :(

Must agree.  I was utterly miserable watching the sh*te in Istambul.

(This is not irony, it's sarcasm)
      TheBallWinner
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #84: Jun 28, 2011 09:16:31 pm
      Stumbled across this thread whilst browsing the forum. New here.

I wrote an article on the new Chelsea boss just recently. Anyone able to check it out and give it some feedback or comments? Would be great.

http://theballwinner.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/the-curious-case-of-villas-boas/
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #85: Jun 28, 2011 10:03:28 pm
      He,s now a chav and therefore want to punch the tw*t repeatedley in the face >:D
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #86: Jun 29, 2011 03:56:01 pm
      Di Matteo just signed up to be his number 2. Think highly of him as well, that's some staff they've got.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #87: Jun 29, 2011 03:57:50 pm
      Ya but heard Henry Winter make a very good point, he said it is not good having a highly ambitious talented manager as your number 2.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #88: Jun 29, 2011 04:15:41 pm
      That is a good point but he's clearly going there to be the number 2. He might only be there for months instead of years but to help AVB settle into England again, for me, great hire for now.

Quick Reply