Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Safe Standing: An Open Meeting

Read 13670 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Jun 21, 2011 01:28:54 pm

Thursday 23rd June, 2011

Kick off 6.30pm (for 7pm start).

The Sandon,
      Oakfield House,
      166 - 182 Oakfield Road,
      Anfield, Liverpool.

In recent months the Football Supporters’ Federation has re-launched its Safe Standing Campaign and, after much thought and consideration, will hold an open meeting in Liverpool on Thursday 23rd June.

The open meeting will see the panel take questions from the floor, explain precisely what we’re campaigning for, and address the concerns of those who have reservations about our proposals. The panel includes:

Malcolm Clarke - Chair of the FSF.
      Tony Evans (Event Chair) - Sports Editor at the Times.
      Professor Steve Frosdick - Birmingham City University and founder member of the UK Football Safety Officers’ Association.
      Paul Jones - season ticket holder on the Kop.

Those attending will also have the opportunity to view a life-size model rail seat area, built to Green Guide safety specifications. The FSF believes that football clubs in the top two tiers should have the option to install rail seating in their ground, if they so wish. The rail seat model has already made its first public appearance at Wolves’ Molineux and will be visiting a variety of other clubs over the coming weeks and months as part of the Safe Standing Roadshow.

Amanda Jacks of the FSF said: “We do not underestimate the sensitivities on Merseyside and have nothing but respect and compassion for those who lost loved ones at Hillsborough. We know that some minds can never be changed but we hope to offer reassurance to those who believe standing areas are inherently unsafe. The FSF would never back anything which puts fans at risk and we’d encourage people to come along and listen to what we have to say.”

This event is free but registration is required: register@fsf.org.uk
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Safe Standing: An Open Meeting
      Reply #1: Jun 21, 2011 02:16:43 pm
      I'm guessing that these rail seats are far safer than fans standing in front of seats at away games and in European matches in the Kop.

Just a thought.

The Hillsborough groups will never tolerate standing, and as fellow fans we do have some obligation to stand by their wishes.  Despite the fact that standing was not the cause of the Hillsborough disaster.  Overcrowding caused by the police and fencing caused by the authorities and Government policy were the causes.

I'm in favour of safe standing at football but recognise the sensitive nature of the issue.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2: Jun 21, 2011 02:31:23 pm

The only picture I can find of what it'd be like.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #3: Jun 21, 2011 02:47:49 pm
      I'm in favour of safe standing at football but recognise the sensitive nature of the issue.

I am with you on this one.

Primarily do to the shitty lack of legroom in most grounds
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4: Jun 21, 2011 03:57:44 pm
      ^ As long as you're not stood in front of me!
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #5: Jun 21, 2011 04:00:09 pm
      I remember the Steaua Bucharest game at home last season. The whole of the Kop were stood up for the entire 90 minutes. I doubt very much that we would OK it at Anfield though.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 21, 2011 05:38:35 pm

The only picture I can find of what it'd be like.

Very interesting picture. Something i have not seen before. I understand the sensitivity towards standing. Where is this? Germany?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: Jun 21, 2011 06:23:52 pm
      Very interesting picture. Something I have not seen before. I understand the sensitivity towards standing. Where is this? Germany?

I believe so. Germany has had safe standing for a while now, and it's worked very well. It seems to be perfectly safe and also allows for cheaper tickets!

Here's another image.

Think this sums up my view on it too.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Jun 21, 2011 06:37:12 pm
      I never had a problem standing and I am going back to the early 70's on the Kop. But maybe it was a case of there by the grace of God go I.It wasnt just standing that caused problems it was general policing and attitudes .People do stand now in the Kop its very hard not to. Not standing has sanitized the atmosphere somewhat and people who would not have gone into the Kop previously now do so because of its safety.
      How you ever seperate standing and Hilsborough is something I am not in a position to do and I dont have they answer.
      I would love to stand on the KOP again swaying and singing but could you imagine what would happen if one single person was injured.
      Its sad but true to say we cant go back to the 60's and 70's and rather than look at the standing issue we need to look at the way ticket allocation is made.
      For me the atmosphere has been in decline since the ground became all ticket.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Jun 21, 2011 06:56:40 pm

This!
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 21, 2011 08:23:58 pm
      Anyone who stands at games cannot object to the safe standing areas.....If you are a Liverpool fan sitting at away games just isn't an option in my experience,other wise you'll never see the game,the same can be said at Anfield in the Kop end.

We are either with the Justice campaign or we're are not,you can't have it both ways..
      I believe so. Germany has had safe standing for a while now, and it's worked very well. It seems to be perfectly safe and also allows for cheaper tickets!

Here's another image.

Think this sums up my view on it too.

I'm sorry but i don't think the club will restructure it's pricing policy whether sitting or standing,this isn't Germany.

I take it the safe standing campaign are coming to Liverpool to appease the locals,get the Scousers on board and it's all systems go...Let the Justice campaign have the last say....

jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 21, 2011 09:29:29 pm
      Anyone who stands at games cannot object to the safe standing areas.....If you are a Liverpool fan sitting at away games just isn't an option in my experience,other wise you'll never see the game,the same can be said at Anfield in the Kop end.

We are either with the Justice campaign or we're are not,you can't have it both ways..
      I'm sorry but I don't think the club will restructure it's pricing policy whether sitting or standing,this isn't Germany.

I take it the safe standing campaign are coming to Liverpool to appease the locals,get the Scousers on board and it's all systems go...Let the Justice campaign have the last say....

I would definitely be up for safe standing but each time i think about it i feel a sense of guilt. Making these areas all ticket and well policed would help. However, I definitely would leave it to the people who are involved in campaigns etc. Obviously a sensitive subject.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #12: Jun 22, 2011 12:36:52 pm

The Kop sits for 90% of matches at Anfield.

And yes, you can have it both ways. What a horrific thing to say that because we support safe standing we don't want justice. What's wrong with you?
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 22, 2011 05:19:18 pm
      The Kop sits for 90% of matches at Anfield.

And yes, you can have it both ways. What a horrific thing to say that because we support safe standing we don't want justice. What's wrong with you?

No the Kop doesn't sit for 90% of games,that's why i don't go there any more because people stand up and i prefer to sit...You're a Liverpool fan? You support the justice campaign? then that means No to standing.....Just ask them.

Horrific thing to say?.....You really need to adjust your threshold on what you find horrific...

The problem with Anfield is that it's just not that comfortable to sit down,most parts are too cramped and narrow....Bolton Wanderers have brilliant seating,just a pity no one in the away end uses it...there is absolutely no way the Club will give in to this,so i think you better choose another team....maybe one up the east lancs road who mock that we apparently have stopped them from standing....and are quick to point out the date when this happened.

Our manager doesn't want standing areas maybe you should e-mail him and ask his opinion.....

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #14: Jun 22, 2011 05:20:49 pm
      In my experience whenever I have been in The Kop (5 times) I stood in 4 of them. The 4 I went to and stood up were all Champions League games, the one where we sat was Newcastle in the league.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 22, 2011 05:40:09 pm
      In my experience whenever I have been in The Kop (5 times) I stood in 4 of them. The 4 I went to and stood up were all Champions League games, the one where we sat was Newcastle in the league.

This is true of course....People tend to stand more for European games..But just cast your eye's right in my case and you can see huge swaths of Reds all standing at most games,though further up the stand...

Maybe the club could ballot the fans? i'd vote no...

I'd vote no because if the new stands that are to be put in are like the Arsenals stadium ...then the view will be great there's lot's of space front and back and the seats comfortable...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #16: Jun 22, 2011 09:15:29 pm
      What a horrific thing to say that because we support safe standing we don't want justice. What's wrong with you?

Agree.

Suggesting that people who can see the logic behind safe standing somehow don't want justice from the authorities who caused the deaths of 96 people.

One of the most ridiculous statements I've read.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17: Jun 23, 2011 02:08:59 am
      I agree with the above sentiments in being in favour of safe standing. At the same time I am fully aware of the sensitivity regarding the situation. I fully respect those who object any form of standing though. Well said JD.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #18: Jun 23, 2011 11:40:59 am
      The biggest and ultimate problem was the fencing, that has gone and I see no problem with safe-standing. I think JD got it spot on.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #19: Jun 23, 2011 02:53:42 pm
      No the Kop doesn't sit for 90% of games

Apart from the back 10 rows, yes it does. Every game barring the Scum and Bitters.

If you claim to not sit in The Kop any more, how do you know?
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #20: Jun 23, 2011 06:33:49 pm
      I am increasingly pissed off at standing getting blamed for Hillsborough, as this let's the authorities of the hook, standing was a good scapegoat after the initial attempts blaming fans were shown to be vicious lies.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #21: Jun 23, 2011 10:07:07 pm
      I am increasingly pissed off at standing getting blamed for Hillsborough, as this let's the authorities of the hook, standing was a good scapegoat after the initial attempts blaming fans were shown to be vicious lies.

One thing to blame, Police! Like you, Im getting pissed off at other 'suggestions'.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 23, 2011 11:15:51 pm
      Agree.

Suggesting that people who can see the logic behind safe standing somehow don't want justice from the authorities who caused the deaths of 96 people.

One of the most ridiculous statements I've read.

Ok...just take it out of my insensitive hands and place your feelings with the justice campaign see how they feel....if they agree with you,then i will apologise for any horror i have inflicted on your sensitive soul..

I'm glad you find such ridicule in my insignificant statement..... You must have missed at the Iraq war dossier's or William Hague's excuses for attacking Libya,just two of about a billion ridiculous statements..far more significant than mine...don't you think!( but i feel you probably will have changed your mind now as this has now just become the most ridiculous statement you've ever read)

Our own manager doesn't want standing,he's on record as saying so....as i've mentioned earlier in this topic,perhaps you could try and voice your opinion to him just to see how he feels and if he has changed his mind....You wouldn't dare.

The biggest and ultimate problem was the fencing, that has gone and I see no problem with safe-standing.

I'm glad that you said have this...as it's true,the fencing was the problem,no fencing no deaths....My reasoning for my opinion is that the families of the 96 do not want standing back if they have softened their stance then i am unaware of it and if they have,i will apologise for any statement i have made on here contrary to that belief..
      Apart from the back 10 rows, yes it does. Every game barring the Scum and Bitters.

If you claim to not sit in The Kop any more, how do you know?

I know because i sit in the main stand and i can quite clearly see all of the Kop end and i quite clearly see thousands of people standing game in game out and it is far more than 10 rows back as you will well know...

Quick Reply