Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Safe Standing: An Open Meeting

Read 13668 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Safe Standing: An Open Meeting
      Reply #23: Jun 23, 2011 11:19:51 pm
      TonyEvans Times

One of great lies about Hillsborough is standing caused it. Criminally inept police and a ground the authorities knew to be unsafe caused it.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #24: Jul 05, 2011 11:38:40 pm
      Such a sensitive issue to discuss, Hillsborough being the reason that seating came into being due to the tragic loss of lives on that fateful day when we lost 96 brothers and sisters. The reasons for the introduction of all seater stadiums, as outlined in the Taylor report, were to prevent a tragedy like this ever happening again. I believe the report was basically a form of covering up the blatant disregard of the Police that day for football supporters. Whilst i admit that the report predominantly set out to make grounds safer for football fans, there is no doubt that it totally avoided the main reason for the tragedy, the ineptitude of the Police force.

I was brought up with terracing as a child, i stood on the Kop with my uncle on many occasions and i remember those games more than i remember the games where i've been seated. That may sound like a silly comment to make but nobody can doubt the difference in atmosphere between a seated crowd and a standing crowd.

This new safe standing system looks good to me, the abolishment of fencing has alleviated the possibility of crush injuries and i also feel that crowd control measures are far more advanced than they used to be. I am a supporter of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign and i am fully aware of how sensitive a situation this is. In a strange kind of way i feel guilty for wanting this safe standing, i am torn between a rock and a hard place.

When i start taking my boys to Anfield in the near future i would love for them to stand next to me on the Kop, but not at the expense of the memories of the ninety six.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #25: Jul 06, 2011 10:37:50 am
      Safe standing:

Advantages -
      Bringing back the old atmosphere.

That is the only advantage I can honestly think of and believe there are more disadvantages including, children won't be able to see over the bars, why take an unnecessary risk when the all seater stadiums have ensured maximum safety, and also it's a sensitive issue because of Hillsborough.

I'm happy with the current seats, why change it ... there's no point. There is nothing wrong at all with seated stadiums, no health risks, maximum safety, I really can't see it happening in the Premier League.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #26: Jul 06, 2011 10:45:59 am
      I'm happy with the current seats, why change it ... there's no point. There is nothing wrong at all with seated stadiums, no health risks, maximum safety, I really can't see it happening in the Premier League.

I reckon about 99% of people will disagree with you on here mate.

I HATE sitting down to watch a match, if i wanted to sit i'd of stayed at home.

coming to Anfield to sit down, take pictures, eat hot dogs and M&M's, complain when people stand up to celebrate. 

It winds me up.

You are correct though, never in a million years will it be brought back, not with the HIGH-VIS patrol everywhere and anywhere these days
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #27: Jul 27, 2011 09:45:38 am
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #28: Aug 02, 2011 06:13:41 pm

So you've never trapped a leg or seen a kid trap his leg in one of those seats. Plus you've never seen fans nearly falling over the seats when celebrating.

maximum safety it isn't!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #29: Aug 02, 2011 07:36:08 pm
      The majority stand on the Kop most games anyway, not much choice as with the lack of legroom you just end up with squashed nuts anyway  ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: Aug 19, 2011 05:02:29 pm
      TonyEvans Times

One of great lies about Hillsborough is standing caused it. Criminally inept police and a ground the authorities knew to be unsafe caused it.

This sums it up perfectly for me.Never had any problems standing but find the seats uncomfortable for anyone over 5'4".no leg room at all.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #31: Aug 28, 2011 11:17:48 am
      The thing is though, if Safe Standing was to be introduced then it wouldn't be all of the ground that was allocated for standing. Imagine if say the Kop was made all Safe Standing and maybe the Anfield Road upper was made Safe Standing, that would leave plenty seats in the Main Stand, Centenary Stand and the Anfield Road lower for the people who want to sit at the games. If you ask me there's no reason why football should completely ignore the Safe Standing idea.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #32: Aug 28, 2011 01:19:38 pm
      The thing is though, if Safe Standing was to be introduced then it wouldn't be all of the ground that was allocated for standing. Imagine if say the Kop was made all Safe Standing and maybe the Anfield Road upper was made Safe Standing, that would leave plenty seats in the Main Stand, Centenary Stand and the Anfield Road lower for the people who want to sit at the games. If you ask me there's no reason why football should completely ignore the Safe Standing idea.

If it were up to me, I'd make the Kop, Lower Annie and the Paddock safe standing.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #33: Aug 28, 2011 04:01:15 pm
      Don't see a problem with "safe" standing myself.

It's got to be more safe than standing up in the current arrangement. As far as I'm concerned as long as everyone has their own equivalent of a seat, there will be no problems and no undermining of anything involved with Hillsborough. I actually think standing on the Kop will be safer than sitting and certainly more comfortable.
      will91liverpool
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #34: Feb 19, 2013 03:23:25 pm
      hey lads,
      there are a few rumours about that prem football grounds may move towards having areas where fans can stand to watch the game.
      if this was to be put into place at anfield do you think it would be a good thing?

post your opinions!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #35: Feb 19, 2013 10:22:50 pm
      hey lads,
      there are a few rumours about that prem football grounds may move towards having areas where fans can stand to watch the game.
      if this was to be put into place at anfield do you think it would be a good thing?

post your opinions!

Won't happen, then they wouldn't be able to charge what the F**k they like for tickets.

Seeing as it's your first post, what's your opinion?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #36: Feb 20, 2013 08:06:59 am
      Won't happen, then they wouldn't be able to charge what the F**k they like for tickets.

Seeing as it's your first post, what's your opinion?

And possibly his motive as well?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #37: Feb 20, 2013 02:06:19 pm
      And possibly his motive as well?

Just reads like someone who wants to right a blog but got no ideas of his own!!

Wonder if he ever stood on the old kop?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #38: Mar 08, 2014 11:36:35 pm
      I never experienced any problems when standing on the kop as a youngster when it was holding in excess of 20,000. It's not the standing that's the problem, but the way we were treated like animals in pens.
       The french La Liga  had a system years ago, where the bottom of the standing terrace was at the same level as the pitch. If there was an incident that needed a quick evacuation,  what was the fencing, was electronically opened, pitchwards, in 10ft sections, the full width of the terrace, and everyone just calmly walked out onto the pitch.
       This was used at some French grounds as long ago as 1990

Quick Reply