Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Ryan Shawcross (Stoke City)

Read 7815 times
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Re: Ryan Shawcross (Stoke City)
      Reply #46: Aug 17, 2011 04:50:08 pm
      Cahill over Shawcross any day of the week. Not impressed with this rumour!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #47: Aug 17, 2011 04:52:25 pm
      One thing we've witnessed over the years, at Anfield, is you don't have to be the best centre back in the world.  Especially if you have a great centre back partnership.   I can see Shawcross and Agger working, but not so much Shawcross with Carra and to a lesser extent Skrtel.

With the other centre backs we've looked at, I think a case can be made for Dann & Cahill working better with our current centre back choices.  
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #48: Aug 17, 2011 05:13:56 pm
      There is loads of centre halves better than the lad, we might as well target Robert Huth if we are going for this lad, he will be cheaper and does the exact same job for Stoke except he is more a threat from set pieces. Remember the uproar when Hodgson wanted to buy him last year. Don't expect us to sign Shawcross because to be honest he is not good enough
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #49: Aug 17, 2011 05:37:19 pm
      Lets just sign someone from outside this league.

To be honest, whoever we buy out of them two then we'll be overpaying. I reckon we could get Benedikt Howedes for less. At least try for Hummels or Subotic. Players like these of high quality and not overpriced.

All of these add strength at the back, an aerial presence and can play proper football how we want it without the English price tag. If we overpay, it's because of their quality, not because of their nationality.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #50: Aug 17, 2011 08:37:37 pm
      I think he's ok, but I'd much prefer Cahill
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #51: Aug 17, 2011 08:42:36 pm
      Would prefer Cahill meself,With the Ngog deal nearly there i thought a swap deal was on the cards.This lad i am not to sure thought utd had first option on him or is that just bullshit.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #52: Aug 18, 2011 12:18:37 am
      Stoke City tell Liverpool FC to forget Ryan Shawcross bid
      Stoke City manager Tony Pulis has told to Liverpool that Ryan Shawcross is not for sale.

Kenny Dalglish has been tracking the 23-year-old as potential final piece in the Reds' defensive set up, with the centre-back role remaining an area for concern.

Matthew Upson and Jonathan Woodgate's arrivals at the Britannia Stadium this summer had suggested that the Potters were potentially paving the way for Shawcross's departure.

But Pulis, speaking ahead of his side's Europa League qualifier with FC Thun, insists that his Chester-born skipper will not be allowed to leave the club as he aims to strengthen.

He said: "We have got no need to sell Ryan. We want to spend money if we can.

"I think the chairman and the board have made it quite clear that their intentions are to try to improve the squad this year.

"We are very pleased with the defenders we’ve got, now we have to improve ourmidfield and forward line."

Click Liverpool
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: Aug 18, 2011 12:22:34 am
      Oh well.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158