Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sunderland v Liverpool: Match Thread

Read 11160 times
      EVILeyeZ
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Re: Sunderland v Liverpool: Match Thread
      Reply #23: Aug 25, 2007 02:34:25 pm
      2-0 !! veronin!!!  Phew.. 3pts are safe.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #24: Aug 25, 2007 02:44:21 pm
      Well Hyppia with a broken nose, and Carragher with a suspected broken/fractured rib.

We REALLY need to buy a CB now.
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #25: Aug 25, 2007 02:44:37 pm
      3pts :)
      torres is improving with every game...would have scored if gordon wasnt in great form today.
      hopefully carra's injury isnt that serious...they have taken him to a hospital for an xray apparently.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #26: Aug 25, 2007 02:52:15 pm
      Good result 2-0 away.  When I saw that fixture early in our campaign it had me a bit worried.  We should be on 9 points though really.

Good start - unlike the previous years - a win away at Sunderland was decent.  Glad to see Voronin getting on the scoresheet again.  Two goals in two games.  I see no reason why he shouldn't be the first strikers name on the team sheet.

Fingers crossed with the injuries to Carra's ribs and Hyypia's nose. Both look like breaks. :(
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #27: Aug 25, 2007 02:54:13 pm
      Match Report from BBC Sport

Mohamed Sissoko and Andriy Voronin got their first Premier League goals as Liverpool saw off Sunderland.

Sissoko got on the end of a good Liverpool move to fire a low shot past Sunderland keeper Craig Gordon.

Fernando Torres and Voronin should have increased their advantage but Gordon was in inspired form.

But apart from a couple of Anthony Stokes efforts they rarely threatened, and Voronin cut inside late on to fire a right-foot shot past Gordon.

Sunderland manager Roy Keane had tipped Liverpool as title contenders before the game - and they showed a steel perhaps missing in recent years in holding off a home side full of commitment but lacking in quality.

Liverpool were the better side from the kick off and Sunderland right-back Greg Halford almost gifted the visitors a lead within 30 seconds with an underhit backpass.

Voronin won a race with Paul McShane to get to the ball but his effort was saved by the body of Gordon.

But other than that Sunderland managed to frustrate Rafael Benitez's side for much of the half.

The Reds enjoyed plenty of possession but it was mainly restricted to their own half as Keane's men harried and pressed their illustrious opponents.

Both sides were not helped by the loss of a player inside 20 minutes with Liverpool's Sami Hyypia forced off with a bloody nose and an injured Kieran Richardson soon following him down the tunnel.

Sunderland got a sniff at goal when the otherwise impressive Pennant gave the ball away and Black Cats substitute Stokes got on the end of a Michael Chopra pass but could not beat Pepe Reina from a difficult angle.

Liverpool got the breakthrough towards the end of the half when a Xabi Alonso cross was headed back across for Voronin, who laid into the path of Sissoko to fire low past an outstretched Gordon.

It ended Sissoko's 75-game wait for a first goal for the Anfield club and also brought up Liverpool's 7,000 in league football.

Torres could have added number 7,0001 before the half-time whistle.

The Spaniard headed a Pennant corner past the post and was then denied by a brilliant piece of goalkeeping from Gordon after Liverpool burst onto a fluffed clearance from Ross Wallace.

Gordon showed why Keane paid £9m for him as he again denied Torres after he had burst between Nyron Nosworthy and McShane the other side of the break.

Liverpool's expensively assembled front two of Voronin and Torres began to profit from the increased space afforded as Sunderland began to chase an equaliser.

Sunderland got more adventurous in the final half an hour but aside from a long-range effort from Stokes that had Reina scrambling they failed to seriously threaten snatching a point.

And in the closing minutes Voronin found space in the box to finally find a way past Gordon and make sure there would be no late drama for Sunderland this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunderland: Gordon, Halford, McShane, Nosworthy, Wallace, Miller, Etuhu, Yorke, Richardson, Chopra, Murphy. Subs: Ward, Stokes, Leadbitter, Anderson, Connolly.

Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Arbeloa, Pennant, Alonso, Sissoko, Babel, Torres, Voronin. Subs: Itandje, Agger, Riise, Kuyt, Mascherano.

Referee: Mark Halsey (Lancashire).

The present table (before everyone else gets another game on us)

1 Man City 3 2 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 2 0 4 9
      2 Liverpool 3 0 1 0 1 1 2 0 0 4 1 3 7
      3 Chelsea 3 1 0 0 3 2 1 1 0 3 2 2 7
      4 Wigan 3 2 0 0 4 0 0 0 1 1 2 3 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Everton 3 1 0 0 2 1 1 0 1 3 2 2 6
      6 Portsmouth 3 1 1 0 4 2 0 1 0 2 2 2 5

7 Newcastle 2 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 1 2 4
      8 Arsenal 2 1 0 0 2 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 4
      9 Blackburn 2 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 2 1 1 4
      10 Reading 3 1 0 1 2 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 4
      11 Sunderland 4 1 0 1 1 2 0 1 1 2 5 -4 4
      12 Tottenham 3 1 0 1 5 3 0 0 1 0 1 1 3
      13 Fulham 3 1 0 1 3 3 0 0 1 1 2 -1 3
      14 Middlesbrough 3 0 0 1 1 2 1 0 1 2 2 -1 3
      15 West Ham 2 0 0 1 0 2 1 0 0 1 0 -1 3
      16 Man Utd 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 2 -1 2
      17 Aston Villa 2 0 0 1 1 2 0 1 0 0 0 -1 1

18 Birmingham 3 0 1 1 2 3 0 0 1 2 3 -2 1
      19 Derby 3 0 1 0 2 2 0 0 2 0 5 -5 1
      20 Bolton 3 0 0 1 1 3 0 0 2 2 5 -5 0
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #28: Aug 25, 2007 02:57:47 pm
      Good result 2-0 away.  When I saw that fixture early in our campaign it had me a bit worried.  We should be on 9 points though really.

Good start - unlike the previous years - a win away at Sunderland was decent.  Glad to see Voronin getting on the scoresheet again.  Two goals in two games.  I see no reason why he shouldn't be the first strikers name on the team sheet.

Fingers crossed with the injuries to Carra's ribs and Hyypia's nose. Both look like breaks. :(

Yeah solid performance from our lads today then.  I'm a bit dissapointed that Torres didn't score. 

The most important thing is that we got all 3 points.  (And we really should be joint top).

Hopefully Carraghers ribs won't be as bad as we all thought, and that Hyypia recovers soon.

Xabi Gerrard
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #29: Aug 25, 2007 02:58:36 pm
      After momo scored his goal, i could hear the LFC fans singing a song about him and mascherano, but i couldnt make out all the words, does anyone know the song?
      Beauchamp
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #30: Aug 25, 2007 03:04:33 pm
      Come on 2nd place!!!!

GET IN THERE!

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #31: Aug 25, 2007 03:07:43 pm
      Win was the important thing. we played all right. I was a bit annoyed at times at some of our passing it lets us down a bit at times.

Reina : Nothing to do
      Finnan : sound as always. our most reliable player I think
      Sami : Broken nose but should be ok for Tuesday
      Carra : Starting to frustarte me a bit with the amount of long ball he plays out of defence but would hate not tto have him in there
      Arbeloa : Very underrated another solid game tho I dont think he offers enough going forward
      Pennant :always wants the ball what he does with it sometimes tho isnt enough
      Xabi : done ok but I think weve all come to expect more from him
      momo : Yessss congrats on your first goal played well. I think hell grow into a top player
      Babel : V quiet I thought
      Voronin : Great work rate nice goal and very unselfishily tried to put Torres thru at the end when he could have got a second
      Torres : looks worth every penny hat we spent. Chases balls that look like lost causes and makes things from them. Great pace could be the man that has a big say in number 19 coming home   

Agger on as sub to me looks like hes gone backwards. Hope its only me that thinks this and that he has a great season
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #32: Aug 25, 2007 03:09:31 pm
      well....Kuyt is looking more and more redundant by the day.
      Torres does everything he does.....only better.
      So does Voronin.....
      I still think we should make a swoop for someone with a proven track record.....like Owen.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #33: Aug 25, 2007 03:09:51 pm
      Wasn't surprised about how scrappy that game was. Thought Sunderland would keep it very tight.

Absolutely made up to see Sissoko bag his first and our 7000th!!! Great lead up for Voronins goal - he really is making a cause not to be left on the bench.

Should have really finished them off before we eventually did, but all in all a decent result at a scrappy ground to play at.

Fingers crossed Carragher's injury isn't as bad as first thought. But when you see him in pain, you know for sure somethings wrong. Thankfully our next couple of fixtures aren't seriously hard fixtures. Think some cover at the back may be needed before the transfer window closes though.

At least we're pilling the pressure on the top place now. Keep it going you mighty reds!!!!  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Off to town to celebrate....  ;D

Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #34: Aug 25, 2007 03:17:33 pm
      Wasn't surprised about how scrappy that game was. Thought Sunderland would keep it very tight.

Absolutely made up to see Sissoko bag his first and our 7000th!!! Great lead up for Voronins goal - he really is making a cause not to be left on the bench.

Should have really finished them off before we eventually did, but all in all a decent result at a scrappy ground to play at.

Fingers crossed Carragher's injury isn't as bad as first thought. But when you see him in pain, you know for sure somethings wrong. Thankfully our next couple of fixtures aren't seriously hard fixtures. Think some cover at the back may be needed before the transfer window closes though.

At least we're pilling the pressure on the top place now. Keep it going you mighty reds!!!!  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Off to town to celebrate....  ;D

Good call Kenny!  I forgot about that.

Off to town haha ;)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #35: Aug 25, 2007 04:36:47 pm
      Class away game if ever I saw one.  We seem to have filled that game killer tempo that we so badly needed last season.  Sissoko was excellent and deserved the man of the match with our 7000th league goal, well done mate.  Torres and Voronin were excellent and had no end of chances to kill the game sooner, but credit to Gordon he had a few good saves he should do very well in this campaign.  One thing that worries me though is that people have been saying Alonso has had a bad start and I have tried to ignore it but watching him today I can see why. 

Finnan, Pennant and Babel were as sharp as ever with the service and Carra had a good match too although I hope he is alright after that Reina challenge.  The bigger concern is that we have both Hyypia and Carra on the doubtful list for next week.  Overall I think we played a blinder even though Sunderland were giving us little space in which to do so.

thats gotta be a 8/10 team performance for me.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #36: Aug 25, 2007 05:03:06 pm
      Very impressed today- with everyone on the field.

I'm probably Pennants biggest fan...think he's showing amazing potenial. 

Some of Babel's skill in the first half (stepping over the ball) - shows promise.  Once he's confident and established in the side, i think he could something special.

Arbeloa - impressive again.

As was Torres (just needed composure) and Voronin.

Sissoko and Alonso - just seem to have a very good understanding in the middle - aren't we lucky!
      PaintingTheTownRed
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 25, 2007 05:39:54 pm
      I'm pleased with our win today - its the sort of game that we have to win this season, we needed to graft and thats what we did. It was the sort of game that we would have lost in the past, losing our two centre backs and having the opposition coming hard at us. Although I would have liked to have seen us convert more of our chances, both Torres and Voronin continue to impress, Nando especially with his pace, and Voronin's work rate. I think Torres has really upped his game since coming from Athletico, scared the crap out of sunderlands centre backs today.

Midfield wise, I thought Alonso showed definite improvement from the first two games, he played a key role in the first goal. While he is still along way from his best, form is temporary, class is permenant, as they say. I was slightly surprised to see Momo starting, but obviously justified it with a solid performance and the goal. His shooting still leaves a lot to be desired, but just about every other aspect of his game is looking good and he's improving all the time. His energy levels were great today, He really is starting to look like Viera in his pomp. On the left, I thought Babel was very quiet, showed a few nice skills but was never really in the game. Still, he is young and will develop and adapt. Pennant had another decent game, showing good skills and trickery, he is another who continues to improve. Perhaps a bit careless with his passing on occasions, but overall well played.

In defence, I thought Sami and Carra looked alright while they were out there, both picking up injuries unfortunately and in Carra's case quite unluckily. Again, more consistancy from Finnan and Arbeloa, I was particularly impressed with the latter, he had a good game at left back and then adapted and played well at Centre back. Agger again played alright, still improving and will do for some time. Riena didn't really have much to do, and what he did do, he did well.

So overall, a solid if unspectacular performance. My man of the match goes to Arbeloa for having a solid game at full back and dispelling any worries about the centre back situation, only for this game though (we badly need cover). A close second would be Voronin, followed by Sissoko.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #38: Aug 25, 2007 05:42:25 pm
      I have class so I can only watch the second half! What a shame!I can't see Sissoko's fantastic goal (It's fantastic, my dad said so) but I like Voronin's goal. Look like every players did well, with Babel, It seem just barely well thought! I feel sorry for Torres, he ran so hard, he play so hard, he tried so hard but he can't get a goal for him, he played very well, I hope he will be more and more brillant.
      Seem like our forum's forecast is more exactly than some famous commentors in ESPN, they said It'll definitely be 0-3 for Liverpool.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #39: Aug 25, 2007 05:48:46 pm
      It wasn't a nice game to watch. Frustrating that we can't keep possesion when in the lead, Sissoko did well but he seriously needs to work on his control and passing, Alonso is not my cup of tea anymore but he did ok today. Carragher impressive with defending but can frustrate me with his long balls up the field, Agger also shares this problem at times.

I think things would of been a heck of a lot calmer for us in midfield if we had Gerrard and Mascherano in the middle, I'm not the biggest fan of seeing Sissoko and Alonso in the middle as I know they are 2nd rate to Stevie & Masch!

Torres made chances with his pace but his first touch let him down at times, maybe his finishing wasn't there today but hopefully he'll work on that and become a better player, remember he is still settling in.

Voronin was class, proved all his critics wrong! He has a lot more pace than Kuyt, charges players down like Kuyt does and he can finish well too. He's like a quicker, slicker version of Kuyt but cost us cheaper than a mars bar.

Babel did ok but was none existent at times, again he needs to work on his communication with the team and build up his own confidence. Pennant is good on the ball just not quick enough.

Good result but not the best of games, a team like Sunderland shouldn't put us under that much pressure.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #40: Aug 25, 2007 06:04:47 pm
      http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=eng.1&cc=4716
      LiverpoolFC is now in the fourth, but we still have a game to go. Good result isn't It? 
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #41: Aug 25, 2007 06:33:30 pm
      Pleased with the result.  Not the performance.

But 2-0 away at Sunderland is a decent result - especially as Sunderland have been moulded in the hacking spirit of Keane. Nice work from the Manc to seriously injure two of our centre-halves.  I hope Liverpool investigate United's involvement...

Such a shame about last week's stain on our performance but we have made a positive start to the season.

4th place (for now) with a game in hand over those above us.  Chelsea still sneaking those 1-0 wins though.  Let's hope United get turned over tomorrow.

A big plus for Voronin, Babel and Momo.  All three of them looked more than capable of coming in and doing a job. I have been really impressed with Voronin and think he should play a lot more often.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #42: Aug 25, 2007 07:40:25 pm
      Very Pleased with the result.

I though Pennant was fantastic, Babel was quiet but looks like he could be the next big thing? Torres looked sharp, runs like a greyhound and was unlucky not to get a hattrick but for Sunderland Keeper Gordon who was excellent today. Sissoko, congrats mate on the first goal and Liverpool's 7000th ;), good game today for Momo. Arbeloa and Finnan once again the Mr. Reliables of the team.

Roy Keane went up in my estimations today, with what he said in the interview pre and post match, very honest and unlike other Manc players not filled with bitterness.

Well done Reds,

KEEP IT COMING!!!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #43: Aug 25, 2007 08:51:10 pm

Babel did ok but was none existent at times, again he needs to work on his communication with the team and build up his own confidence. Pennant is good on the ball just not quick enough.
      I thought Babel played well in linking up with Pennant for the second goal and Pennant is playing so well at the moment he barely needs pace when he has a work rate of such that even Gerrard would be proud of it.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #44: Aug 25, 2007 09:00:46 pm
      I thought Babel played well in linking up with Pennant for the second goal and Pennant is playing so well at the moment he barely needs pace when he has a work rate of such that even Gerrard would be proud of it.

Yes Babel did look good in the link up with Pennant. However I disagree with you on saying Pennant doesn't need that extra pace. Of course he does because how many times has he picked the ball up in a counter attacking position and not been able to take full advantage of it? Plenty of times. He is quicker than your average player but for a winger I feel he needs an extra yard of pace. If he had Gonzalez's pace he'd be laughing!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #45: Aug 25, 2007 09:15:28 pm
      Yes Babel did look good in the link up with Pennant. However I disagree with you on saying Pennant doesn't need that extra pace. Of course he does because how many times has he picked the ball up in a counter attacking position and not been able to take full advantage of it? Plenty of times. He is quicker than your average player but for a winger I feel he needs an extra yard of pace. If he had Gonzalez's pace he'd be laughing!

Ok I see what you mean now but if he can get in the early crosses, Torres will make up for what Pennant lacks in pace.

Quick Reply