Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

The Central Midfield Debate

Read 10937 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      The Central Midfield Debate
      Jul 04, 2011 02:32:51 pm
      Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Meireles, Spearing, Aquilani, Shelvey, Poulsen.

8 Central Midfielders within our first team 25 man squad. With Charlie Adam being lined up to be brought to Anfield. That would take us to 9.

Who will be our starters? Bench warmers? Be cast in to a different position? Or sold before the transfer window shuts?

Discuss.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2011 02:46:42 pm by Court LFC »
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Re: The Central Midfield Debate
      Reply #1: Jul 04, 2011 02:37:19 pm
      Very good question mate. You have missed out Shelvey even though it is likely he will go out on loan.

I for one would be happy with that & going into the season. Adam would only replace Poulsen and that's not essential as Poulsen gets no where near the pitch.

I think that the other 6/7 (Shelvey) all have a fighting chance of becoming a regular in that team and I think we will see it change week in, week out.

I do believe that the Centre Mid vs Sunderland will be Lucas, Gerrard and then one of Henderson/Meireles/Aquilani. 2 of those 3 if Stevie isn't 100%.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,202 posts | 3391 
      Reply #2: Jul 04, 2011 02:37:25 pm
      I prefer to see complete central midfielders who can and do do it all. So if we're going with two out and out central midfielders, Stevie and Spearing for me.

If we go, as I think we will, with 3 central midfielders behind a front three of Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll then I'd throw Lucas in there as well.

Shelvey will be loaned out, Poulsen hopefully sold, Meireles more than likely sold, Aquilani and Henderson warming the bench until they manage to convince Kenny to start them.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Jul 04, 2011 02:39:58 pm
      I'd sell Poulsen, send Spearing and Shelvey on season long loans leaving Aquilani, Gerrard, Meireles, Lucas and Henderson to fight it out for the 2 spots.

robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #4: Jul 04, 2011 02:40:04 pm
      i personally see us using 3 in a game, so the starters being Lucas, Gerrard then possibly Adam as the natural left foot option (i think thats why kk wants him so much) so we need at least 6 in the squad to get you through the season.. leaving Poulsen to go(if we can find a buyer) and Henderson for me being used right side and occasionally in the middle..

The other three, Aquilani/Merieles (if they are still here) spearing rotating the three main midfielders

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5: Jul 04, 2011 02:42:39 pm
      Henderson       Gerrard     Lucas/new defensive midfielder    Downing or other new winger

I think either Aquilani or Meireles will be sold, along with Poulsen hopefully. I hope we sign a new defensive midfielder along with Adam, with Downing and/or another winger coming in as well. 

Shelvey I presume will be loaned out along with Pacheco.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #6: Jul 04, 2011 03:02:17 pm
      Very good question mate. You have missed out Shelvey even though it is likely he will go out on loan.

Amended. He slipped my mind for a minute!  :D

Although yes it's looking more and more likely that he will be sent out on loan.

Interesting thoughts so far. I should imagine Aquilani will have to prove his worth to Kenny during pre-season & the first few fixtures of the League, if he is to contend with the likes of Lucas, Meireles (if he stays). Which will more likely coming from the bench.

It's going to make our Midfield unbelievably competitive to get in to the side and perform well week in, week out.

Where does Charlie Adam come in to the equation? We still appear interested, despite Oyston F***ing us around. If he comes someone will definitely be sold.

Talk of Meireles leaving has damped down over the past week. Aquilani appears to be staying (but he still could go) & Poulsen will be playing the rest of his Anfield career in the reserves, unless sold.

Lucas has proved his worth in the side. But obviously, nothing is set in stone and he could have a nice warm spot on the bench waiting for him.

Which leaves me to our newly signed star, Jordan Henderson. I know DLS said in a different thread that he could possibly be controlling the right hand side. But will he challenge Lucas's spot in the team?

It's mouth watering with the strength in depth we've suddenly gained.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 04, 2011 03:07:28 pm
       Personally haven't got a clue at the moment who'll be starting or how we'll be playing next season. The closest idea in my mind is we'll play with 3 central Midfielders (considering the surplus of CMs in the squad and our confirmed interest in Adam). Again can see us selling Aquilani, Poulsen and MAYBE Meireles. Would also like another Defensive Midfielder here to replace Poulsen and create some 'real' competition for Lucas as I guess he'll not be 100% this season having had to play in 'Copa America'. Another thing I can't understand is how people see Adam a replacement for Poulsen as we all know he can't defend to save his life. It's not that the latter CAN but he SHOULD.

Finally, Central Midfield is one of the main problems in our squad and it deserves a debate. Fortunately, it's Kenny in charge and not any other as I'd be really worried about that.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #8: Jul 04, 2011 03:08:32 pm
      Christian Poulsen has got to be sold.

Let the rest fight for the two spots. Could do with the strength in depth for once ;)

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Jul 04, 2011 03:10:12 pm
      I think Aquilani will cement his place in Kenny's plans during pre-season, Kenny likes pass and move football and with that possibly being the strongest part of Aquilani's game, I expect it will not escape the attention of Kenny, whilst he's working so close up to him.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #10: Jul 04, 2011 03:13:49 pm
      Gerrard, Lucas, Aquilani and Adam will fight it out.

Spearing and Shelvey will be loaned. Henderson will play on the right. Poulsen and Meireles will be sold...

Maybe?
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #11: Jul 04, 2011 03:40:41 pm
      Just out of interest how many of Barcelona's players are classed as midfielders? Aquilani Gerrard Henderson and Meireles can all play off the top man. Kenny may well stick with Lucas and Spearing maybe? I do think Aquilani will get into the side, he likes to be on the move as soon as he's passed it and I reckon that could be a factor in him getting plenty games.

Plenty of options though and that can only be a good thing.

Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #12: Jul 04, 2011 05:30:14 pm
      Joe Cole must be reading this with a bit of dread.....
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #13: Jul 04, 2011 05:34:03 pm
      It's mouth watering with the strength in depth we've suddenly gained.
      And the amazing thing is that vast majority of them were already with us when Roy took over and our squad seemed thread bare.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #14: Jul 04, 2011 05:52:03 pm
      I prefer to see complete central midfielders who can and do do it all. So if we're going with two out and out central midfielders, Stevie and Spearing for me.

If we go, as I think we will, with 3 central midfielders behind a front three of Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll then I'd throw Lucas in there as well.

Shelvey will be loaned out, Poulsen hopefully sold, Meireles more than likely sold, Aquilani and Henderson warming the bench until they manage to convince Kenny to start them.
      Pretty much this
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #15: Jul 04, 2011 06:04:16 pm

Depends on the formation that we will be playing most often ... If we are to play the classic 4-4-2, we have too many central midfielders ... If we are to play the 4-2-3-1 or the 4-3-3 formation, we have just enough central midfielders ... If we are to play the 4-4-2 (diamond) formation most often, we still need at least one more central midfielder ...
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #16: Jul 04, 2011 06:30:06 pm
      Depends on the formation that we will be playing most often ... If we are to play the classic 4-4-2, we have too many central midfielders ... If we are to play the 4-2-3-1 or the 4-3-3 formation, we have just enough central midfielders ... If we are to play the 4-4-2 (diamond) formation most often, we still need at least one more central midfielder ...

i do think the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formations are more likely where we are heading, judging on the current players in the squad and the reported targets (the genuine ones that seem to stick)
      Thats why i think we need 6 within the squad this year. It does seem that we will have a flexability within the formations though and that we will have more 'game changes ' on the bench if games arnt going right
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #17: Jul 04, 2011 06:46:59 pm
      Suppose we use Henderson as a RM, we sell Poulsen.

I guess will want to use Henderson as a RM. since he is a very good crosser,

Vs Sunderland I expect

Henderson       Gerrard        Lucas        New LB
                            Suarez
                           Carroll

Suarez, Lucas and Gerrard may be at rest however.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #18: Jul 04, 2011 06:48:08 pm
      Suppose we use Henderson as a RM, we sell Poulsen.

I guess will want to use Henderson as a RM. since he is a very good crosser,

Vs Sunderland I expect

Henderson       Gerrard        Lucas        New LB
                            Suarez
                           Carroll

Suarez, Lucas and Gerrard may be at rest however.

your new Lb plays high up the pitch lad
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,355 posts | 4969 
      Reply #19: Jul 04, 2011 10:48:23 pm
      In a 4 3 3

Lucas

Aquilani          Gerrard

In a 4 4 2

Lucas   Gerrard
      Henderson                       New LW

I do see Aquilani forcing his way into the side more often than not if he stays as someone earlier said he plays the style of Football Kenny likes.

Overall even without Adam we have plenty of options and styles of midfield player and Meireles could easily play in place of Alberto or Henderson in my formations and Spearing can replace Lucas.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      I blame my toe for being sh*t at boxing too...
      Reply #20: Jul 05, 2011 01:29:50 am
      Sell them all and play with 10 defenders. Has Woy taught you people nothing?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #21: Jul 05, 2011 02:20:36 am
      TWO of Lucas/Aquilani/Meireles at the base.

ONE of Meireles/Gerrard behind the striker.

ONE of Gerrard/Henderson to play on the right.

Shelvey will be loaned out for the season.  Spearing will be backup.  Poulsen will be sold.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #22: Jul 05, 2011 04:26:55 am
      With so many Central midfielders we should play 4-3-3 but I prefer suarez just behind Carroll...

Quick Reply