Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. First game, what will it be?

Cracking win, here we go!
      60 (52.6%)
      That was close, but a win is a win!
      32 (28.1%)
      I'll take a draw, work in progress.
      10 (8.8%)
      A loss but the lads need time to gel.
      2 (1.8%)
      We need Messi!!
      10 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Guangdong 3-4 Liverpool - Post-match thoughts

Read 43486 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Guangdong v Liverpool 13 July 2011, KO: 13:00BST
      Reply #460: Jul 13, 2011 05:39:52 pm
       In all honesty if Aquilani or anyone else had scored a hat-trick, it doesn't matter too much really. I'm happy for Cole that he played well (by all accounts, I DIDN'T SEE THE MATCH), but lets face it he still has an absolute mountain to climb to get into the team for the first competitive match. I'm mainly happy for him not because I particularly like him or want him to get into the team, I just think that he came to Liverpool for the right reasons (and I know he also gets big money) and I think he desperately wants to be a suiccessful footballer. Even if he doesn't make it with us (and I don't think he will TBH) I hope he gets a regualr game and excells somewhere else.

Similarly Alberto. The better he does, the more chance he has of either a) getting in the team or b) giving us a stronger bargaining position to sell him. For that reason, I really hope he does well. That won't be decided though in the first kickabout of the season.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #461: Jul 13, 2011 05:40:11 pm
      1st (friendly) match of the season and everyone's arguing, god help us come August.

Guangdong Sunray Cave 3 Liverpool FC 4 - final whistle match report

The Reds started positively and pushed back the Chinese team, with David Ngog looking especially lively.

The striker had the ball in the net after 16 minutes, only for the strike to be ruled out for offside.

Liverpool didn't have to wait long for their first goal however, as Christian Poulsen scored three minutes later from Joe Cole's cross.

Ngog double the Reds lead after 22 minutes when he slotted home Jonjo Shelvey's pass, although Ricardo Steer pulled one back for the home side on half-time.

With Adam coming on after the break, Liverpool looked to put the game out of reach with Jack Robinson especially impressive.

His fellow youngsters Conner Coady and Andre Wisdom both featured for LFC and it was Coady who scored next for the Reds when he took Andy Carroll's pass and finished strongly.

The big Geordie hit the fourth  after 85 minutes when he linked up well with Maxi Rodriguez and that seemed to be that, only for Guangdong to have other ideas.

Lu Lin scored on the 90th minute and then Yin Hongbo coolly scored one minute later, but it was too late for the Chinese to get the equaliser they wanted.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/07/13/guangdong-sunray-cave-3-liverpool-fc-4-final-whistle-match-report-100252-29046991/#ixzz1S0JBOIi6
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #462: Jul 13, 2011 05:40:43 pm
      Very good run out for both sets of players, thought Flanno was excellent 1st half closely followed by Joe Cole,and Kelly,good to see him back, he obviously has been on the weights during his wee break,  nice finish from Poulsen after Cole over hit his cross, cant fault any player tbh everyone had a decent knock about, their 1st goal came about from a fu**ed pass from Shelvey, in the second half Adam, Aqua, Coady, Robinson all impressed, cracking finish from young Coady, and we can all see why Kenny wanted Adam, his vision was top class, i can see him being in the starting eleven every game, we have to remember that this was his first game for us and like everyone else was rusty, young Wisdom looked lost first 10 mins but soon settled, thought a loss of concentration brought about their goals at the end and although disappointing to concede it helped with the entertainment value.

Well done all the lads, i cant wait t'il they are all match fit, and of course adding our captain, El Pistolero, Hendo, Raul etc, plenty of headaches coming up for Kenny no doubt.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #463: Jul 13, 2011 05:42:38 pm
      Pre-F***ing-season friendly, match fitness and squad cohesion are the only things that are important.  Who gives a sh*t about anything else? Having said that, I thought everyone looked alright and gained some important match fitness, job done - onwards and upwards - the knives can stay away for now.  Also, 4231 welcome back, it's good to see you again my old friend.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #464: Jul 13, 2011 05:44:00 pm
      Someone update me?

Who stood out?

I was watching Arsenal play Malaysia that time :P
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #465: Jul 13, 2011 05:45:44 pm
      I even thought Poulsen done ok to be honest, he started of a little shaky but grew into it as the match wore on and looked pretty comfortable in posession and knocking it about and that was the real surprise for me.

Flanno, he went into every challenge as if he was competing in the world cup final.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,706 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #466: Jul 13, 2011 05:47:41 pm
      Someone update me?

Who stood out?

I was watching Arsenal play Malaysia that time :P
      Flanno, Cole, Adam , Aqua, Robinson, Shelvey were all brilliant. Pacheco and Sotis. nothing special.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #467: Jul 13, 2011 05:48:23 pm
       He will mate where his mobility is not challenged. He's a good passer and reads it well, even though he's past it you can still see that. That's why I cannot understand the abuse he gets from Liverpool fans. You can still he has been a really good player, even though his legs have completely gone.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #468: Jul 13, 2011 05:50:49 pm
      He will mate where his mobility is not challenged. He's a good passer and reads it well, even though he's past it you can still see that. That's why I cannot understand the abuse he gets from Liverpool fans. You can still he has been a really good player, even though his legs have completely gone.

Still think he'll get cruelly exposed in the premiership as being honest Guandong hardly had the ball or put any real pressure on it in the first 45.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,706 posts | 3716 
      Reply #469: Jul 13, 2011 05:51:23 pm
      Poulsen nothing special but nothing wrong also! but I would sell him nevertheless
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #470: Jul 13, 2011 05:54:42 pm
      Jaysus Mick you have to have heard of Wisdom unless you've no knowledge of the club past the first team

Mate I have very little knowledge of the youngsters, I don't watch the kids games and only see the odd clips on forums. So few of the youngsters at any club come through and make it, I just find it a bit pointless to be honest. I don't pretend I have lots of knowledge of them either in fairness. I've heard quite a few of the lads on here talk about Wisdom, and in fairness to him he's a centre half by all accounts and not a full back, but he could have done better for the goal. Mind you Aggers attempt for the third was worse.

Poulsen WILL get exposed in the Premiership if he plays for a top team where the game gets stretched, because his legs have gone. I agree with Clint and Blood, I'M NOT SAYING HE WOULDN'T. What I am saying is, if he is allowed to play (which he wouldn't be in those circumstances) you can still see he was once a very good player. Naturally I too would move him on given the opportunity.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #471: Jul 13, 2011 05:57:38 pm
      Poulsen WILL get exposed in the Premiership if he plays for a top team where the game gets stretched, because his legs have gone. I agree with Clint and Blood, I'M NOT SAYING HE WOULDN'T. What I am saying is, if he is allowed to play (which he wouldn't be in those circumstances) you can still see he was once a very good player. Naturally I too would move him on given the opportunity.

Wasn't saying you were mate, was just giving you a bit of insight as you haven't seen the match yet.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #472: Jul 13, 2011 05:58:08 pm
      Youth ranks pointless? Really?
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,706 posts | 3716 
      Reply #473: Jul 13, 2011 06:00:01 pm
      We have Shelvey, Spearing, Raul, Aqua, Gerrard, Adam, Henderson and if a tsunami occurs and destroys our midfield there is Coady. no place in our team for him but he isn't that bad.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #474: Jul 13, 2011 06:02:54 pm
      There were times last season where the youth teams where the only games I enjoyed watching Mick. Especially before January. Wisdom has been immense at youth level but he is naturally a centre back
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #475: Jul 13, 2011 06:04:13 pm

;D. I'm not saying the youth "ranks" are pointless, I'm saying me watching the matches is pointless. It's a bit like serie A, I don't watch it as I'm not really into it and I can't help thinking that part of the reason I get quickly bored of it is because it has less relevence to me. I'd watch any games live, but I couldn't get fired up about tuning into LFC TV to see the under 16's play Tranmere to be totally honest. Sorry if that me makes me "lesser", but that's just the way I am. That's why you won't see me talking bollocks about youngsters I haven't seen play. I wait till they play in the first team, then I talk bollocks about them.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #476: Jul 13, 2011 06:05:30 pm
      What happened to Raul? I don't see his name in the first eleven nor the subs.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,706 posts | 3716 
      Reply #477: Jul 13, 2011 06:06:54 pm
      I think he has an ankle problem. Skrtel and Johnson both are injured?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #478: Jul 13, 2011 06:07:38 pm

He's carrying a minor injury/we want to make sure he doesn't get one before we sell him.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #479: Jul 13, 2011 06:07:54 pm
      Raul had an ankle injury but he will play in Malaysia
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #480: Jul 13, 2011 06:08:13 pm
      Only caught the second half but from what I saw I was particularly impressed with Robinson and Adam. Carroll looked sharp.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #481: Jul 13, 2011 06:10:48 pm

;D. I'm not saying the youth "ranks" are pointless, I'm saying me watching the matches is pointless. It's a bit like serie A, I don't watch it as I'm not really into it and I can't help thinking that part of the reason I get quickly bored of it is because it has less relevence to me. I'd watch any games live, but I couldn't get fired up about tuning into LFC TV to see the under 16's play Tranmere to be totally honest. Sorry if that me makes me "lesser", but that's just the way I am. That's why you won't see me talking bollocks about youngsters I haven't seen play. I wait till they play in the first team, then I talk bollocks about them.

How is it anything like you watching Serie A? It's Liverpool Football Club. The club you've said you loved. All the way down the ranks are Liverpool players that deserve support from the fans. I find it incredibly hard to compare it to anything else or any other club because they're not our players.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #482: Jul 13, 2011 06:16:47 pm
      How is it anything like you watching Serie A? It's Liverpool Football Club. The club you've said you loved. All the way down the ranks are Liverpool players that deserve support from the fans. I find it incredibly hard to compare it to anything else or any other club because they're not our players.

It's very much like me watching Serie A, watching Countdown re-runs or going for a jog every day. Exactly the same infact in the sense that I can't be bothered/haven't got the time or the inclination to do it.

Jusat out of interest, if we had an under 9's team (we probably have for all I know) would you watch that? What about a ladies team? If the answer to both of the above is yes, then my response is fair enough I can't match your dedication/love for the club. If on the other hand it's no, then it confirms to me that everyone has their threshold beyond which they can't be arsed.
       BTW on the vote I went for "we need Messi" because he would be quite handy lets be honest.

Quick Reply