Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. First game, what will it be?

Cracking win, here we go!
      60 (52.6%)
      That was close, but a win is a win!
      32 (28.1%)
      I'll take a draw, work in progress.
      10 (8.8%)
      A loss but the lads need time to gel.
      2 (1.8%)
      We need Messi!!
      10 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Guangdong 3-4 Liverpool - Post-match thoughts

Read 43483 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Guangdong v Liverpool 13 July 2011, KO: 13:00BST
      Reply #483: Jul 13, 2011 06:20:49 pm
      How is it anything like you watching Serie A? It's Liverpool Football Club. The club you've said you loved. All the way down the ranks are Liverpool players that deserve support from the fans. I find it incredibly hard to compare it to anything else or any other club because they're not our players.

While I don't agree with the Serie A reference I can see his point. I used to go and watch the reserves when they played their home games in Warrington, but after a while I got fed up because no matter how well they did they didn't make the team.

Now however, I think the youth and reserve sides will gain more interest for 2 reasons.

1) Those coming through the ranks now are of better quality than anything we have seen for at least 10 years.

2) Kenny is a lot more open to playing 'the kids' than either Roy or Rafa.

Whereas in the past it had a feel of pointlessness about it, it now actually feels a stepping stone to greater things.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #484: Jul 13, 2011 06:24:59 pm
      1) Those coming through the ranks now are of better quality than anything we have seen for at least 10 years.

2) Kenny is a lot more open to playing 'the kids' than either Roy or Rafa.

You missed the 3rd and most important reason mate.

The next Generation series, I think it will be exciting seeing how our youngsters fair against the best youngsters in Europe.

Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #485: Jul 13, 2011 06:29:01 pm
      I guess I can see the 'pointlessness' but I've never felt it.

And RLB is right on, the next Gen will be fun to watch and should get more interested in the young lads because they really do deserve our support.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #486: Jul 13, 2011 06:29:44 pm
      Cheers for the info, guys.

Would really love Raul to remain at Anfield, to be honest. Could do a job, be it a squad player or a first teamer.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #487: Jul 13, 2011 06:32:42 pm
      You missed the 3rd and most important reason mate.

The next Generation series, I think it will be exciting seeing how our youngsters fair against the best youngsters in Europe.

Ahhh sh*t yeah, sounds a very good format that does.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #488: Jul 13, 2011 09:11:48 pm
      I didn't get to see it myself, so thanks for the fella who posted up the goals. Some nice moves from both sides, and defensively all three of theirs left a bit for us to work on. For the first the keeper has to do a lot better, the right full back (Wisdom?) gets done too easy for the second, while the centre half (Agger?) gets strolled around for the third.

Nice to hear that some of the new guys did well though, as well as Joey Cole who one or two of us hadn't totally given up on. Good goal from Christian Poulsen too. If ever I'd like to see a player have a measure of success it's him after the way a section of our fans have treated him. 

Still flying the Poulsen and Cole flag lonely and proud .

The fans treated him ? Did the fans dump him ? Did they send him a dear john letter ?

He was sh*te - thats the simple plain fact - all last season he was utter sh*te - you can still keep flying the flag for the shocking buys we had last summer but 4 out of 5 off them will be gone soon . Thank god .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #489: Jul 13, 2011 09:25:05 pm
      Still flying the Poulsen and Cole flag lonely and proud .

The fans treated him ? Did the fans dump him ? Did they send him a dear john letter ?

He was sh*te - thats the simple plain fact - all last season he was utter sh*te - you can still keep flying the flag for the shocking buys we had last summer but 4 out of 5 off them will be gone soon . Thank god .

Walked all the way from newkit just to have a go at Mick ? Hope it was worth it Benny, still the walk will have done you good, maybe use your bike next time mate.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #490: Jul 13, 2011 09:32:18 pm
      It doesn't change does it Saint - the posts are still full of the deep lying messages ."the way a section of our fans treated him "

So fans gave Poulsen a hard time - didums - I'm sure the money he picks up will make up for it . Poulsen has been utter toilet for us as well as Cole - there is no positives from their signings and hopefully both will be gone soon and well forgotten .
      Ps - don't really go on Newkit - still too many idiots there .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #491: Jul 13, 2011 09:41:44 pm
      I thought Cole did ok today mate. If they could just find a way to unglue his hands off his hips he may earn another chance yet. Poulsen has gone to far down the exit ramp to have a chance of getting back though imo.

Just don't mention Aquilani..... I did but I think I got away with it :)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #492: Jul 13, 2011 09:48:02 pm
       Benny's in the house ;D. No both Cole and Poulsen are gone as far as I can see (providing we can get someone to take them off our hands), they weren't good enough last season and they won't be good enough this either.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #493: Jul 13, 2011 09:48:42 pm
      I see no one gives a flying F**k about David N'Gog's goal....we all could have scored it I guess. Only I'm sure if he was running in on goal like that in the Premier League the defender beside him would have sweeped it away for a corner/throw in.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #494: Jul 13, 2011 09:51:15 pm
      What's wrong with mentioning Aquilani ?

I don't think anything can really be taken from this game - it was against a Chinese second div team . The play in the second half was certainly a bit sharper and better . Not going to read too much into the goals conceded , they were all at the end off the halves when tiredness and a bit of lack off concentration .

I don't hold out much hope for players like Cole , Poulsen , Ngog etc having any place in the squad for the coming season - they are the last remaining shockers from previous regimes and it's time to move on now - none of those players has anything to offer us now
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #495: Jul 13, 2011 09:54:11 pm
      I see no one gives a flying f**k about David N'Gog's goal....we all could have scored it I guess. Only I'm sure if he was running in on goal like that in the Premier League the defender beside him would have sweeped it away for a corner/throw in.

The funny thing with N'Gogs goal (I think you're probably taking the piss about a defender clearing it) is that I actually think they would have. His first and second touch when he recieves the excellent pass (from Shelvey I think) see his veer accross goal alarmingly to his right, much further than he meant to. A good defender would have had it off him.

N'Gog really is a poor player IMHO, hopeless.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #496: Jul 13, 2011 10:20:52 pm

It was a nice training session, just like our following matches against Malaysia XI and Hull ... Our first real match will be against Galatasaray ...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #497: Jul 13, 2011 10:26:34 pm
      It was a nice training session, just like our following matches against Malaysia XI and Hull ... Our first real match will be against Galatasaray ...

I agree it's little more than a training sesh. It's not even as if we've got the Europa league cup thing to worry about this time around, as long as the lads are ready for Sunderland at Home that's all that matters. Every year we have fall-outs and tantrums on the forums because someones played crap in the early friendlies, and the reality is they don't really matter.

The last couple before the seasons opener we should see some sort of team taking shape, and then we need the lads to really step it up.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #498: Jul 13, 2011 11:49:36 pm
      anyone else abit disappointed with the attendance? a country with one billion + pple and we coundnt fill half the stadium. when I saw it I thought I bet utd would fill it. it made me sad  :'(
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #499: Jul 14, 2011 12:28:05 am
      I watched the first half back again this evening when I got in and must admit Cole was very sharp for first game back. He saw a lot of the ball (mostly in central areas) and looked in good touch. He's gotta rediscover that burst over 10-15 yards that he used to have though + have himself a blinding pre-season if he's gonna force his way into Kenny's plans this season. i'm guessing he's in a straight fight with Maxi for the right to back up Downing. I reckon he'll be a Tottenham player by September though.

As for young Wisdom (is there such a thing!) I thought he looked strong and assured for most of the game and for the goal, the real problem is the fact both he and Kyriakos go for the same header and then he was hopelessly out of position and a bit flat footed when the ball got flicked on to their left mid.

Coady did well + that was a very impressive finish. I really liked watching Robinson again and i'm wondering if Kenny might toy with the idea of going with a mixture of Robinson, Aurelio and Johnson (or Flano) to cover our left flank this season? For me personally, i'd rather we spent the rest of the budget on a centre-half even if it meant leaving us light on the left.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #500: Jul 14, 2011 12:39:48 am
      anyone else abit disappointed with the attendance? a country with one billion + pple and we coundnt fill half the stadium. when I saw it I thought I bet utd would fill it. it made me sad  :'(

I wonder how much the midweek scheduling affects Chinese football culture, when they most prefer to watch games etc.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #501: Jul 14, 2011 04:10:20 am
      The funny thing with N'Gogs goal (I think you're probably taking the piss about a defender clearing it) is that I actually think they would have. His first and second touch when he recieves the excellent pass (from Shelvey I think) see his veer accross goal alarmingly to his right, much further than he meant to. A good defender would have had it off him.

N'Gog really is a poor player IMHO, hopeless.

No I most certainly wasn't taking the piss! It was genuine criticism!
      Jesus Hearts LFC
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts |
      Reply #502: Jul 14, 2011 11:18:58 pm
      No I most certainly wasn't taking the piss! It was genuine criticism!

Spot-on criticism, too. Ngog lacks the sort of control and edge that is required in matches that are not against Rabotnicki, a decimated West Ham squad, or Manuel Almunia. He has had a good moment or two, but his touch against Guangdong was a bit rough, and not just for the goal. I know it is pre-season, but wow.

Quick Reply