Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Alexander Doni (Liverpool > Botafogo)

Read 32078 times
      Titanic
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Re: Alexander Doni (Liverpool > Botafogo)
      Reply #161: Feb 01, 2013 11:44:55 am
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #162: Feb 01, 2013 12:08:16 pm

Sad news that.

Slightly off-topic mate... but have you Mac-Red (esque) news filter programme running?... You certainly seem to like your news articles...
      Titanic
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #163: Feb 01, 2013 12:12:53 pm
      Slightly off-topic mate... but have you Mac-Red (esque) news filter programme running?... You certainly seem to like your news articles...

http://www.footballfilter.com/liverpool
      http://www.lfclive.net/
      http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Liverpool/All+Sources
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #164: Feb 01, 2013 12:56:41 pm

Spooky... you even "reply" to posts in the style of the man... thanks for clearing that up btw.  :nod:

Oh and welcome to the forum Titanic; I look forward to eventually reading your opinions.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #165: Feb 01, 2013 01:28:05 pm
      People said I was exaggerating when I said I thought it was a bloody joke of a signing, but now everyone can see how highly regarded he is in his home country...

Now let me get this right.

In Brazil you have the main national league structure of 4 divisions.

But you also have a league in each state which is 'almost' as popular and prestigious (but underneath the fourth division?  You know the English league system well so s this something totally different to over here. 

Is this a bit like us having the Premier League down to League 2, and then having the local Blue Square North and South equally as popular in big massive stadiums?

I assume that there are many in Brazil then that support two local teams?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #166: Feb 01, 2013 02:58:12 pm

Wow that is very sad news. Never want to see a player, regardless of their quality as a player, have a heart condition of any kind. Scary stuff.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #167: Feb 01, 2013 06:50:55 pm
      I saw about the alleged heart problems today as well, and it could quite easily be directly related to cocaine abuse.

Not sure what to think on this one.
      On the one hand I hope he's OK, and on the other he might have brought it on himself.

Still, I have no feelings about it one way or another, so the best I can do is to wish him the best with his new club.
      Titanic
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #168: Feb 01, 2013 07:41:15 pm
      I saw about the alleged heart problems today as well, and it could quite easily be directly related to cocaine abuse.

Former Liverpool goalkeeper Doni confirms heart attack and says he almost died

February 1, 2013

Gazzetta dello Sport this morning reported that there was a lot more to Doni's exit from Liverpool than was originally known by those outside of the football club. We got the article translated and the following is from our piece on it earlier today:

Gazzetta go as far as to say that on July 3rd he had a cardiac arrest whilst being examined by Liverpool doctors and there followed '30 seconds of terror'. Clinical examinations went on to show a heart arrhythmia, which they say was probably caused by a virus in childhood. It would not prevent him from taking part in sport but, like Gazzetta say, the recent incident with Fabrice Muamba and tragic death of Piermario Morosini have led to football being more cautious as a collective regarding these things.

Doni then returned to Brazil but later travelled to Italy and visited the Monzino hospital in Milan where Professor Zeppilli conducted a series of tests and after he explained the situation to Doni, the goalkeeper decided that he wanted to be closer to home and family. His condition is under control but is still present and will remain a concern for him.

It brought concern to many supporters but also explained his apparent disapearance from the Merseyside club. Doni has now confirmed the claims and told Calciomercato that the situation was so serious he almost lost his life whilst being examined by Liverpool medics.

"I could return to play in 2014. I almost ... I almost ended up on the other side. "I had a heart attack about for 25 seconds.

"I've been to one of the best doctors in Europe who looked at me carefully. He's asked me to stop for a few months. Now I have to stay put until April, then I can return to the field, I want to play in the 2014 Paulista championship. "

Doni has moved back to Brazil partly to be near his family and says that the experience has made him reevaluate his life and priorities, as it would do with anyone.

We wish him all the best and hope he fulfills his wish of playing again next year.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/former-liverpool-goalkeeper-doni-confirms-heart-attack-and-says-h
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #169: Feb 01, 2013 07:46:44 pm

Like I said, regardless of other factors, if he was abusing cocaine (and he's hardly going to admit it) it is more than likely directly related, and would be even more likely to cause problems if he had a pre-existing condition which hadn't been picked up, which I find highly unlikely given the exhaustive tests that take place during a medical prior to a transfer.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #170: Feb 01, 2013 09:20:06 pm
      Doni reveals cardiac arrest
      Liverpool yesterday announced that Doni would be released from his contract, but its only now that the reason has been revealed by the Brazilian.

“I was taking the medical exams [at Liverpool, during pre-season in 2012] and I had a cardiorespiratory arrest,” he told Globoesporte.com. “I was unconscious for 25 seconds and almost went 'to the other side'.

“After that, I went to London and had several exams that confirmed I didn't have any sequels. Then they sent me back to Rome, where one of the finest doctors in Europe took care of me for six years.

“After yet another load of exams, the doctors asked me to stay a few more months on the sidelines.

“I was really down for three months, I had trouble sleeping. Anyone who's gone through that knows what a horrible feeling it is.

“When you return, it feels like you haven't slept for years. That time affected me deeply psychologically, but after a few months, it was over, and now I'm back to normal.

“It's hard to talk. It's a moment when you stop and think. You end up giving more value to life, to your family, your kids, you just want to stay close to your family. Then you stop, think and you realize what are the real important things in life.”

http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/doni_reveals_cardiac_arrest_781785/index.shtml
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #171: Feb 01, 2013 10:34:57 pm
      That sounds awful :(
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #173: Aug 12, 2013 01:27:55 pm
      Ex-Liverpool And Roma Custodian Doni Set To Retire From Football For Good

Former Liverpool and Roma goalkeeper Doni has retired from football aged 33 after insisting that his health problems were the sole reason for his decision.

Doni suffered a heart attack whilst he was playing for Liverpool – leaving him unconscious for nearly half-a-minute – and his condition was re-confirmed as a form of arrhythmia.

While the underlying cause had been diagnosed back in 2004, last year's incident left Doni shaken enough even though he attempted a comeback with Brazilian side Botafogo-SP.

His regular check-ups have recently identified the need to sit back and not put his body through the rigours of professional training.

Doni's career was at its peak during his time at Roma, where he played 197 times and was part of cup triumphs, while he also won the Copa America with Brazil in 2007.

However, he has now decided to call time on his career, telling Estado: "God does not want me to play. I had no intention of playing until 40. Football is very stressful."

Doni has reinvented himself as a businessman, while his legacy is being carried on by his son Nicholas who is also making inroads in professional football.

"I wanted to play a little more because of my son", Doni added. "But this is the only point that makes me miss football. The rest is ok."

Doni made the move to Liverpool in 2011 but could only manage four appearances before the heart condition put a stop to his career.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/08/12/ex-liverpool-and-roma-custodian-doni-set-to-retire-from-football-for-good/94949/
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #174: Aug 12, 2013 06:33:08 pm
      Good decision Doni. Life always comes first.

I hope you stay fit and have a good life. YNWA.

Quick Reply