Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Stewart Downing (Liverpool -> West Ham)

Read 130394 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Stewart Downing (Liverpool -> West Ham)
      Jul 15, 2011 10:12:54 pm
      Reds seal Downing deal
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/reds-seal-downing-deal

Stewart Downing has today completed his transfer from Aston Villa to Liverpool.

The winger, who has 27 England caps, put his signature on a long-term deal after passing a medical.

Downing is the club's fourth major signing of the summer following Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Alexander Doni.

Stay logged on to .tv for the 26-year-old's first interview.

It's official, he is a Liverpool player. Welcome to the club Stewart.

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2015 06:23:50 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Re: Stewart Downing Player Thread
      Reply #1: Jul 15, 2011 10:13:55 pm
      Brilliant, welcome Stewart.

Wouldn't it be suiting if he could make it to Malaysia and be unveiled there?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2: Jul 15, 2011 10:16:23 pm
      Welcome to Liverpool, Stewart. Good luck fella!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Jul 15, 2011 10:16:31 pm
      Welcome to LFC, Stewart. Good player, not the one I expected, but can't wait to see him on the pitch already.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #4: Jul 15, 2011 10:18:09 pm
      Welcome Stuart.  Look forward to seeing you whip in crosses for Carroll et al.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #5: Jul 15, 2011 10:20:22 pm

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Jul 15, 2011 10:23:03 pm
      Downing: The first interview

Stewart Downing today spoke of his elation at completing his transfer to Liverpool and insisted the Reds were the only club he was interested in joining this summer.

The England international put pen to paper on a long-term deal with the club on Friday to tie up his switch from Aston Villa.

Now Downing can't wait to get his Liverpool career up and running and has set his sights on helping bring silverware back to Anfield.

"It's a great feeling and I'm very happy to be here," the 26-year-old told Liverpoolfc.tv. "It's been a long time coming and I've had to wait a few weeks, but I'm really pleased to be here.

"With the tradition, the manager and the players they have here, there was a big temptation to come here and once I knew of their interest, there was only one place I wanted to go."

He added: "It will be a great feeling to run out at Anfield. It's always nice to come and play here. The atmosphere is always great and the fans are brilliant.

"When I wanted to come to Liverpool, it was the first thing I thought of - playing at Anfield in front of those great fans. I'm really looking forward to it."

Downing became Liverpool's fourth major signing of a busy summer so far, following in the footsteps of Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Alexander Doni.

And the winger is determined to repay Kenny Dalglish's faith in bringing him to Merseyside.

On his aims for his Reds career, Downing said: "It would be nice to win something. I'm sure that's the same objective for everyone, not just me personally.

"My aim is to be in the team, to play well and give something back because the manager has pushed the boat out to get me here, so hopefully I can give him something back."

Downing's acquisition significantly bolsters the options at Dalglish's disposal for 2011-12, with the new signing capable of operating comfortably on either flank.

He admits, however, that he'll be happy to fill in wherever the gaffer sees fit.

Downing said: "It depends on where the manager sees me playing. Last season at Aston Villa I played on the right, I can play on the left.

"Getting a few goals and a few assists for the lads up front, that's what I'm hoping for."
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #7: Jul 15, 2011 10:24:16 pm
      Brilliant signing, welcome to Liverpool FC Mr.Downing. Great wishes for huge success in the World's greatest football club :) :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Jul 15, 2011 10:24:46 pm
      Welcome to Liverpool again Stuart.

Now whip your balls into Andy.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Jul 15, 2011 10:25:32 pm
      Great signing, I think he will be big success. Welcome to Anfield Stewart.  

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2011 11:05:51 pm by s@int, Reason: Spelled stewart wrong :) »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #10: Jul 15, 2011 10:32:42 pm
      Get your "Stewart" and "Downing" avatars showing! :D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Jul 15, 2011 10:37:19 pm
      Nice!

Welcome to LFC.
      little-Luis:)
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #12: Jul 15, 2011 10:38:03 pm
      Get your "Stewart" and "Downing" avatars showing! :D

one step ahead of you ;)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #13: Jul 15, 2011 10:48:10 pm
      Lovely jubbly.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #14: Jul 15, 2011 10:49:25 pm
      Downing: The first interview

Stewart Downing today spoke of his elation at completing his transfer to Liverpool and insisted the Reds were the only club he was interested in joining this summer.

The England international put pen to paper on a long-term deal with the club on Friday to tie up his switch from Aston Villa.

Now Downing can't wait to get his Liverpool career up and running and has set his sights on helping bring silverware back to Anfield.

"It's a great feeling and I'm very happy to be here," the 26-year-old told Liverpoolfc.tv. "It's been a long time coming and I've had to wait a few weeks, but I'm really pleased to be here.

"With the tradition, the manager and the players they have here, there was a big temptation to come here and once I knew of their interest, there was only one place I wanted to go."

He added: "It will be a great feeling to run out at Anfield. It's always nice to come and play here. The atmosphere is always great and the fans are brilliant.

"When I wanted to come to Liverpool, it was the first thing I thought of - playing at Anfield in front of those great fans. I'm really looking forward to it."

Downing became Liverpool's fourth major signing of a busy summer so far, following in the footsteps of Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Alexander Doni.

And the winger is determined to repay Kenny Dalglish's faith in bringing him to Merseyside.

On his aims for his Reds career, Downing said: "It would be nice to win something. I'm sure that's the same objective for everyone, not just me personally.

"My aim is to be in the team, to play well and give something back because the manager has pushed the boat out to get me here, so hopefully I can give him something back."

Downing's acquisition significantly bolsters the options at Dalglish's disposal for 2011-12, with the new signing capable of operating comfortably on either flank.

He admits, however, that he'll be happy to fill in wherever the gaffer sees fit.

Downing said: "It depends on where the manager sees me playing. Last season at Aston Villa I played on the right, I can play on the left.

"Getting a few goals and a few assists for the lads up front, that's what I'm hoping for."

This was the most important thing for me. It's great to see us signing players that want to play for LFC.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #15: Jul 15, 2011 10:57:50 pm
      This was the most important thing for me. It's great to see us signing players that want to play for LFC.
      Totally agreed, and i'm sure we'll see that on their attitude. The King also have insisted that he is only interested in players that want to join us.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #16: Jul 15, 2011 11:05:11 pm
      Welcome lad now nuckle down and give us 110% everyweek ,really pleased with this signing and the transfer window so far and i can easily see 3 more players coming in YNWA IKKWT
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #17: Jul 15, 2011 11:16:34 pm
      Welcome to Liverpool Stewart!
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #18: Jul 15, 2011 11:19:41 pm
      Welcome to the club Stewart. Think we'll see one more player come in before the season starts.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Jul 15, 2011 11:28:35 pm
       Comolli - 'he is a big, big signing for us'

Director of Football Damien Comolli explains to Liverpoolfc.tv why he believes Stewart Downing will prove to be a fantastic asset to Kenny Dalglish's squad and also discusses the prospect of further transfer dealings this summer.

Damien, it's been rumoured for a long time but the Stewart Downing deal is done. How pleased are you?

I am very pleased. It has been a long process and long negotiations, but we have reached an agreement with Aston Villa and the player has signed for us. We are delighted. It's difficult to say he was our No.1 target because all of our targets are our No.1 target. We did not prioritise on who we wanted to sign first, but we needed that pace and wide player that can bring us something extra, which we did not have in the squad. He has the right mentality, the right attitude and was absolutely committed to coming to us, so we are delighted.

On that commitment to come here, he's an established England player, so to come to a club not in Europe, for this season at least, says a lot about his mentality and the attraction of this football club, doesn't it?

It does. To be honest, none of the players we have approached, whether it has been Jordan Henderson, Charlie (Adam) or Alexander Doni, have said 'I'm not sure because you're not in Europe.' It seems that players think that if we're not in Europe it is just an anomaly in a way, and they know we can be very competitive and what we've done in the last six months since Kenny has been in charge. The team has been competitive and we can only get better. I know there was interest from other clubs but he wanted to play for Kenny and Liverpool. He thought it was the right type of team, the right type of football and the right football club for him. We are absolutely delighted - he is a big, big signing for us.

Liverpool fans like exciting players and they have had many down the years. Stewart has that ability to get down the touchline and get good crosses into the box, doesn't he?

That's exactly what we needed. When we have Andy up front, he can put those balls in, but also he's got more than that. He is more than a winger, he can do a lot of things. He can link up with Luis Suarez by coming in, he can play on the right and on the left. We look thoroughly into data and statistics before signing players and we really think we are bringing a big, big asset into our team. Maybe his talent is a little bit undervalued in English football, but we know what we are getting - and we are getting a very, very good, efficient footballer.

In terms of his ability, he is a player who will really excite the fans...

He will because he has pace, tricks, a great left foot, he can score, make assists and create a lot of things. He text me last night and said, 'Thank you very much for doing all of this and pursuing it until the end.' I said, 'It's no problem - just pay us back by scoring many goals and giving many assists!'

So with Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Alexander Doni and Stewart Downing signed up, this is turning into a really productive summer for Liverpool, isn't it?

Yes. What we are very pleased about is that we are still early in July. We've played only one game pre-season, and we've got a lot of players in. That will allow Steve (Clarke), Kevin (Keen) and Kenny to work well with the players straight away and not have to wait until the end of August, like sometimes you have to do. It's good for team building and it's good for the tactical work they have to do. Also, the players are from the Premier League, so we know they will settle in quickly at the club. Jordan is coming back on Monday and he can't wait.

Is there still work to be done, though?

It's difficult to say. I'm sure there will be players going out because some players would like to play more and have more minutes. We will probably have a few loans as well, players who we would like them to develop, into the Championship or the leagues abroad. In terms of players coming in, it's difficult to say. I think we are going to sit down, look at the situation, see where we are, see who might leave and then we will reassess later. But we have done most of what we wanted to do.

Downing, Adam and Henderson are three big signings - that's great commitment from the ownership, isn't it?

They have been absolutely fantastic. Kenny has said it previously, and they have been very, very helpful on the Stewart Downing deal. They gave us absolute full support. It's not only financial - obviously they made a fantastic financial commitment - but they're also very, very supportive asking if they can help. We have also taken advice from them asking what they think about a deal or what they think we should do. They are very open, they try to help us as much as they can and, again, I won't go into details, but on the Stewart Downing deal they were a great help.
      « Last Edit: Jul 15, 2011 11:41:58 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #20: Jul 15, 2011 11:32:33 pm
      Got an inkling feeling he will be boss in our side when crossing balls into Carroll and stretching opponents. I think we'll come to really appreciate it. He's also quicker than Young according to my Villa mate, he's gutted he's gone. Won't go into that he's pretty bitter about it. But I think he'll be a great signing.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #21: Jul 15, 2011 11:39:56 pm
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #22: Jul 15, 2011 11:57:10 pm
      Why is Degen back thought he was loaned out if nobody seen him he was the lad coming out the door when Downing went in just watch it .
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2011 12:33:16 am by MsGerrard, Reason: Some capital letters would be nice »

Quick Reply