Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Stewart Downing (Liverpool -> West Ham)

Read 130327 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Re: Stewart Downing Player Thread
      Reply #1518: Feb 05, 2013 01:12:56 pm
      He might have raised his standard but unlike Sterling for example, he is not good enough and will never be good enough: Sterling might become a great plyer and the same applies for Suso, Coutinho or Assaidi mught become more than decent. It's a shame to me personally to think and have to say that we have Downing as winger. The other teams have Bale, Lennon, Nani, Valencia, Young, Walcott, Silva, Podolski, Cazorla, Mata, Hazard, Hazard etc and these names scare me even before we play against them. Do you think the opposing defenders think they'll have a rude night when they know they'll have to defend against Downing!?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #1519: Feb 15, 2013 06:35:25 pm
      I might be alone here but for me he's turning into a very reliable option on the right and seems to be performing a decent role in the team.
      Jamesphilly
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #1520: Feb 15, 2013 06:49:38 pm
      I might be alone here but for me he's turning into a very reliable option on the right and seems to be performing a decent role in the team.

Not at all mate couldn't agree more. Thought he was arguably our best player vs WBA and was very surprised when he was brought of for Borini. Getting more and more consistent too, he's actually going round players on the wing now rather that running then stopping and backtracking!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2777 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1521: Feb 15, 2013 07:02:32 pm

No I agree. Hes put in better displays the last few games then a hell of a lot of other players. I think a few goals would bring him out of his shell a bit more. Wouldnt mind seeing him tell Luis and Stevie to fook off away from some free kicks just to show he has the balls
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #1522: Feb 15, 2013 07:04:21 pm
      No I agree. Hes put in better displays the last few games then a hell of a lot of other players. I think a few goals would bring him out of his shell a bit more. Wouldnt mind seeing him tell Luis and Stevie to fook off away from some free kicks just to show he has the balls

Agree mate and for me he is becoming a valuable member of the squad who I'd like to think Brendan will think twice about getting rid of come the summer unless funds are again a problem.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #1523: Feb 15, 2013 09:33:25 pm
      If he's becoming a valuable member of the squad, it's signs of how weak our squad is and how belittled to quality players we've become. He's extremely average, he doesn't beat his man, he doesn't score enough, he doesn't assist enough.

He offers very close to nothing for me. All he has done recently is kept the ball better. As a winger who is often isolated on one defender because of how good his striker is, he needs to be much better.

Really poor player for me.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6365 
      Reply #1524: Feb 15, 2013 09:53:55 pm
      I would rank Stewart as squad depth, but if he's starting then I think it shows we have a deficiency on the wing. Hopefully one that will be addressed this summer.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1525: Feb 15, 2013 10:40:29 pm
      If he's becoming a valuable member of the squad, it's signs of how weak our squad is and how belittled to quality players we've become. He's extremely average, he doesn't beat his man, he doesn't score enough, he doesn't assist enough.

He offers very close to nothing for me. All he has done recently is kept the ball better. As a winger who is often isolated on one defender because of how good his striker is, he needs to be much better.

Nail on the head!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #1526: Feb 15, 2013 11:18:40 pm

Fair enough but I think he has offered a fair bit over the last few games.

He gives us balance in the front three and is often the one forward who stretches the play and keeps some width and as far as I've seen he has slowly got more confident in trying to beat his man and supply the other forwards.

Like I said he may not be a world beater yet but I feel a valuable player to have in the squad on current form.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1527: Feb 15, 2013 11:24:48 pm
      He's been OK/average for a few games, after being the worst player on the pitch against Arsenal but still needs to do far more before he could be considered 'rehabilitated' in my eyes.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1528: Feb 15, 2013 11:28:50 pm
      Encouraging - playing well consistently.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #1529: Feb 16, 2013 12:20:58 am

This post sums up everything I was going to say. Ta mate!

Agree 100%.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #1530: Feb 16, 2013 08:24:14 am
      Downing has shown improvement with his performance that's for sure.However,Downing 20mil price tag means he should be constantly be the assist king for us as that is what apparently he's bought for.Maybe a video study of Overmars or Barnes could help Downing improve even further.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1531: Feb 16, 2013 07:48:57 pm
      Downing's been OK for me. Better than last season that's for sure, but ultimately, not at the level that you'd expect with that price tag and wage. He's been dependable for us so credit to him, but I still say we need a level above him.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,327 posts | 181 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #1532: Feb 16, 2013 08:04:05 pm
      I for one see no improvement on him. When is the last time you saw him go past his mark? He doesn't even try to. Seems to be happy just sending crosses into defenders legs and backs.

This is made really obvious when you see a good winger given space: you expect something to happen, be it by speed, some trick or just a good pass. With Downing its A) He drives inside at 1mph while the fullback runs forward and he passes the ball or B) he runs into the corner and crosses into someone's back. An older player like Bellamy with his broken knees and all offered more threat than Downing does now.

Maybe he's just got a little less horrible (at least he doens't lose the ball for no reason - a true sign of a LFC quality winger) and maybe I'm being a little harsh on him, but he's not what I'd expect to see in my starting eleven week in week out.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #1533: Feb 16, 2013 08:28:28 pm
      not at the level that you'd expect with that price tag and wage.

The price tag and how much he earns is not his fault and irrelevant in a discussion about how well he is doing right at this moment.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8542 
      Reply #1534: Feb 17, 2013 01:28:42 am
      The price tag and how much he earns is not his fault and irrelevant in a discussion about how well he is doing right at this moment.

He's doing ok, don't know about how though, always looks a confidence player, started well at West Brom but just drifted out of the game, the longer the game went on.

Couple of times on Thursday night when I thought he might actually try and take the left-back on but just doesn't seem to have the confidence to do it.

Would still get shut of him in the summer.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1535: Feb 17, 2013 08:48:21 am

Yes, his performances have improved... No - he is still not good enough. He is consistant - this is true with 1 goal and 2 assists this season following on from sweet F**k all the season before. Just think, at this rate he will by next season become a 4 goals a season winger / 3rd striker. Superb...

He cuts in too much and the fact that after 2 seasons we are applauding him going round a player every so often - and seing this as improvement is the exact reason we are in the position we are in... Not good enough, had too much time to demonstrate this!

He seem's like a nice guy and hasent spoke badly against the club. He has had pelters and remained dignified - this is a great credit. Many lesser men have spoken out about their clubs so i give him credit for that, if not much more! 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #1536: Feb 17, 2013 05:12:24 pm
      Another good game from Downing especially first half.

Done exactly what I feel he is in the side for and hold position to allow the other three do their stuff.

Involved in a lot of our good attacking play as well.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1537: Feb 17, 2013 05:16:02 pm
      Now he's coming around. Glad to see it, he is playing some good football right now.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1538: Feb 17, 2013 05:19:26 pm
      Another good game from Downing especially first half.

Done exactly what I feel he is in the side for and hold position to allow the other three do their stuff.

Involved in a lot of our good attacking play as well.

Yeah I agree. His passing and crossing were pretty good today. Had some sh*t shots in the first ;D but so did a lot of the lads. Good to see him coming around a bit.

That said, he seems to be a lot more wide than the rest of the team. For example, Johnson is inside a bit more when we attack than Downing is - almost as if they've switched positions. Not sure if that's a tactical thing from Brendan or Stewart's and Glen's own doing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #1539: Feb 17, 2013 05:21:01 pm
      That said, he seems to be a lot more wide than the rest of the team. For example, Johnson is inside a bit more when we attack than Downing is - almost as if they've switched positions. Not sure if that's a tactical thing from Brendan or Stewart's and Glen's own doing.

I think it is and they work well together and prvide a real ggod balance on the right.

If we play the team we did today it also allows the others i.e. Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge to move more freely and that can only be a good thing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #1540: Feb 17, 2013 11:36:39 pm
      Also think he might just be a player Brendan might look to keep as an experienced wide player while the young one's bed in.

Although if we have massive amounts of moeny to spend that would be a different story.

Quick Reply