Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Stewart Downing (Liverpool -> West Ham)

Read 130252 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Stewart Downing Player Thread
      Reply #1541: Feb 18, 2013 01:24:11 am
      I thought Stewart was excellent today. Didn't see too much of him in the second half but his first half performance was for me the best of the half. Always keen and available on the right attacking side which indicates a good relationship between him and Johnson with Glen pushing him further forward. His crossing was very good as well AND I was very impressed with his battling. Won back the ball brilliantly from his Swansea opponent which led to a corner shortly preceding the penalty. Those shots though Stewie - well off! But it's good to see someone having a go because too often we've been guilty of not having a pop from far out when the opportunity is there and as Stewart has shown a few times in his career he can certainly hit them from a far. And I have to say it's very good personal management by Brendan to have helped Stewart back up to a good level. He's done it with Jordan and he's doing it with Downing. Never seen two players descend into the level of no confidence as they had so it's somewhat brilliant that they've dragged themselves back up. As supporters I think Stewart deserves a round of applause from us and should definitely be encouraged to climb further up the confidence ladder by us.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #1542: Feb 18, 2013 05:08:46 am
      They say Downing is a slow starter as proved at Villa where his first season was not as good as his second. Here, the expectations are so high me thinks Downing just couldn't adjust to it. But the trend is looking similar to his Villa's time there. Downing deserves another season with us for his effort to improve his performances this season.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1543: Feb 18, 2013 10:43:17 pm
      I might be alone here but for me he's turning into a very reliable option on the right and seems to be performing a decent role in the team.

Your not alone. This thread is full of posters who only come out and mention Downing's performance when the team loses and he has a quiet game (irespective of the performance of others in the side). They say nothing when he does well, in fact no one ever says anything or so it seems. He very rarely tears it up and gives you a 9 out of 10 BUT I'd argue he's put in a decent 7 out of 10 performance in 4 out of 5 games (on average) ever since Rodgers told him he could start looking for another club. He's not the sort of player to beat 4 or 5 defenders and score a worldy but (for me) he works hard, he does a good job travelling with the ball, he generally keeps it, if he doesn't see much of the ball from wide areas he can come inside and get involved in the midfield build-up, he's not afraid to get a few shots away and he's shown a willingness to shift onto his right foot and put in some decent crosses the past couple of months. Addded to which, we have a very natural balance on the right at the moment with Dowing and Jonno. His limitations are highlighted for me WHEN Sturridge is missing and defences can gang up on Luis, it's in these games where you are looking for more from your wide-players and Downing doesn't quite have it in his locker.

But I can still see why the manager has picked him so regularly for the past few months. Everyone liked to bang on about his lack of assists and goals last season but he's certainly picked up a few here and there this season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1544: Feb 18, 2013 11:04:39 pm
      Still looked like the weak link in our attacks, looked like he didn't know what to do half the time, whether run with it, pass/cross or shoot and mostly he shot - badly! Thats just my opinion like.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1545: Feb 19, 2013 04:44:56 am
      Still looked like the weak link in our attacks, looked like he didn't know what to do half the time, whether run with it, pass/cross or shoot and mostly he shot - badly! Thats just my opinion like.

Felt the same way and weakest link is about spot on. He just doesn't seem to be able to beat his man and if he does he just shoots.

I don't know why he doesn't play more on the left side, he's a left footer, maybe play him there for the full time he's on the pitch and see if he gets any better.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1546: Feb 19, 2013 05:25:01 am

I agree.
      He improved on being non-existant to being quasi-non-existant. He's keeping the ball better and all, making himself look a bit better, but that's just about it. Tactically he's responsible for providing width but there must be someone better to do that. He's so harmless to defenses, it's unbeliveable. Makes a guy like Pennant look like Messi (to be fair, I quite liked Pennant).
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1547: Feb 19, 2013 07:45:11 am
      Downing doesn't have to be an absolute world beater in the Ronaldo/Bale style to be an effective player. He has become a 7 out of 10 performer but a consistent one. It doesn't hurt to have a few of those in your squad/side. Young Henderson has been performing in much the same way. He didn't look clueless or confused on Sunday, he had a good game. He doesn't provide the fireworks of a Suarez or a Sturridge but as a frotn 3 they look decent at the moment. That isn't to say that we can't upgrade on Downing, of course we can but it would be nice if the lad could get a bit of credit for turning his LFC career around rather than the withering snide comments that are regularly dumped in here.

Incidentally, I noticed he is in srd place in the fans MOTM polls on the offal!  :)

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/who-got-your-vote-v-swansea
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1548: Feb 19, 2013 07:50:06 am
      To be fair to Downing he made 3/3 crosses in the game and had an assist, in that regard I think he's miles better than the player that could never get his cross past the first defender. Now he really needs to work out when cutting in if it's worth shooting or looking for the pass.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1549: Feb 19, 2013 11:24:52 am
      That isn't to say that we can't upgrade on Downing, of course we can but it would be nice if the lad could get a bit of credit for turning his LFC career around rather than the withering snide comments that are regularly dumped in here.

Agree with this as I feel some usung the same old things to criticise him about when he is actually paying well.

I've criticised him as much as anyone in the past but I don't see the need to do it when he playing well and looking an effecive part of the first team.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #1550: Feb 19, 2013 12:06:13 pm
      He'll always be the scapegoat, regardless.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1551: Feb 19, 2013 12:42:02 pm
      I find it very strange the lack of plaudits Downing's getting, can't fault him barring a couple of displays for the last three months. Really seems to have knuckled down and for me is repaying Brendan's faith in him with good solid displays.

The comments regarding him cutting inside, surely it's not rocket science that if you play a left footed player on the right his natural instinct is to cut inside on to his strong foot. I think for a left sided player playing on the right he actually goes onto his 'wrong foot' a fair bit.

Another point is I must imagine with the threat of Downing cutting inside on to his left and Glen bombing past him down the flank to cross with his right it gives the left side of the opposition a lot more headaches than having two naturally left footers.

Keep up the good work Stuey.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #1552: Feb 19, 2013 12:46:43 pm
      What is so frustrating about Downing is that he's shown he's capable of so much more. He is fast as F**k and has got a hell of a powerful shot on him. When he cuts in he can be devastating.

I can't pinpoint exactly what is wrong with him but i think it's a case of him not being the main man here as he was at Villa. I think the presence of Suarez, Carra and Gerrard show him how far he has to go to be considered a great player.

That is what is so frustrating about Downing, he's got the tools but he's lost the instructions on how to use those tools properly. :mad:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1553: Feb 19, 2013 12:48:07 pm
      The comments regarding him cutting inside, surely it's not rocket science that if you play a left footed player on the right his natural instinct is to cut inside on to his strong foot. I think for a left sided player playing on the right he actually goes onto his 'wrong foot' a fair bit.

Another point is I must imagine with the threat of Downing cutting inside on to his left and Glen bombing past him down the flank to cross with his right it gives the left side of the opposition a lot more headaches than having two naturally left footers.

Keep up the good work Stuey.

There is avery nice balance on our right side now with Downing and Glen which is attacking minded but also solid with it.

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1554: Feb 19, 2013 12:53:57 pm
      I think people forget at Villa quite often he was actually used inside and not as a winger not since his Boro days has he been used solely as a winger/wide man.

Personally would like to see more fans get behind the lad, and make him feel even more wanted. Fancy him to score Thursday.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1555: Feb 19, 2013 01:00:58 pm
      Personally would like to see more fans get behind the lad, and make him feel even more wanted. Fancy him to score Thursday.

Fait point but I still feel we as fans should criticise when we feel it's needed but at the moment I think Stewart is being criticised for who he is and not for how well he is playing.

As much as I think he has played very well last few months I don't fancy him to score on Thursday though!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1556: Feb 19, 2013 01:03:29 pm
      When Brendan speaks about players needing skill and the right mentality
      I can't help but think he is hinting at what Downing is missing.

Potential to be great.
      Doesn't have the drive to fulfill it.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1557: Feb 19, 2013 01:08:01 pm
      Fait point but I still feel we as fans should criticise when we feel it's needed but at the moment I think Stewart is being criticised for who he is and not for how well he is playing.
      I agree completely.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1558: Feb 19, 2013 01:41:24 pm
      Everyone recognizes he has improved, it's just the level of improvement that is being discussed. Has he been "great"? How many goals, how many chances he actually creates? He offers nothing that any average EPL winger can't do. Give me a Routledge or Etherington and I wouldn't mind swapping. Pennant was a far better player for us and that's saying a lot. Downing is certainly better than being totally useless as he used to be, but not good enough anyway.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #1559: Feb 19, 2013 02:20:27 pm
      Been impressing me a lot lately. Linking up with Suarez well, Sunday wasn't the first time we've seen that reverse ball from Stewart to Luis. Starting to cross so much better as well, put an absolute stunner in for Sturridge in the first half.

Not sure if he's good enough to be starting week in, week out for us next season but I certainly hope we keep him and rotate him with another winger we sign in the summer.

Keep it up Stewart.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #1560: Feb 19, 2013 02:49:31 pm
      Everyone recognizes he has improved, it's just the level of improvement that is being discussed. Has he been "great"? How many goals, how many chances he actually creates? He offers nothing that any average EPL winger can't do. Give me a Routledge or Etherington and I wouldn't mind swapping. Pennant was a far better player for us and that's saying a lot. Downing is certainly better than being totally useless as he used to be, but not good enough anyway.

Exactly what I think. He does not have the level to play at LFC. He's average and offers nothing better than any other EPL winger. He seems to do things with approximation and us never fully confident in himself. Unlike the pther top teams which have Mata, Bale, Valencia, Walcott etc, during a match, I don't expect anything from Downing. He is on the field but 98% of the time he'll have no impact on the result.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1561: Feb 19, 2013 02:52:52 pm
      Exactly what I think. He does not have the level to play at LFC.

He does as he has shown over the last month or so.

Stats compare very favourably to Valencia for one.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/player-stats/11629/Downing
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1562: Feb 19, 2013 03:10:42 pm
      He does as he has shown over the last month or so.

Stats compare very favourably to Valencia for one.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/player-stats/11629/Downing

For a player in the front 3/4 of the team a return of 1 goal is pretty bleak.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1563: Feb 19, 2013 03:28:14 pm
      For a player in the front 3/4 of the team a return of 1 goal is pretty bleak.

Fair enough point mate but he is a player that is progressing and finding his place in the team.

I'm not saying that we can't or won't get a better player for the wide right position, and it's one area I want us to look at in the summer, but I also feel that Downing has a place in this squad as well.

Quick Reply