Trending Topics

Stewart Downing (Liverpool -> West Ham)

Read 130236 times
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,866 posts | 165 
      Re: Stewart Downing Player Thread
      Reply #1633: Mar 11, 2013 01:36:16 pm
      I Think Stewart has finally realised that if he puts the work in, then he'll have a decent career at liverpool, so it's only right to praise him for his efforts, also the way he stood up for Luis at the end, not the guy who would have hid away earlier in the season.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1634: Mar 11, 2013 01:38:04 pm
      Well done to the lad,keep it up.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1635: Mar 11, 2013 02:00:20 pm
      I think Stewart, Gerrard and Suarez were our better players yesterday.

I don't say it so much for the goal - it was well taken, but an opportunity I would expect all of our players to take - but more because he did a tactical job wonderfully.

My bigger problem with Downing has always been his decision making: on the ball, his decisions whether to pass, to cross, to shoot, never seems to be the best; and off the ball, his movement usually leaves much to be desired. Besides, at some points of his Liverpool career, I also questioned his effort. For much of last season, he had a lazy attitude, not doing much for the team; and his reaction to scoring his 1st league goal for us (shushing the Kop) didn't do any favors to my opinion of him.

Yesterday, though, I think he was great. He was Kuyt-like running up and down the right side, which was highlighted by the fact Johnson had a kind of off game - more than once it was up to Stewart do recover the ball. He also kept the ball well (if I'm not mistaken, he had a 95%+ pass completion rate) and played some meaningful passes. In fact, Sturridge really should have done better with some of those balls.

With the inclusion of Allen, our attacking trio was able to press them higher up the pitch and that ultimately led to our 2nd goal.
      I don't think Stewart did wonders yesterday - no one player did, for that matter - but I do think it was a performance he should build from.

I've questioned time and time again his so called improvement, which in my opinion still don't make him a player to take us forward, but if I see more performances like that of yesterday, I could end up changing my mind.

Unfortunately I'm not exactly confident he can keep up to that level, but well, here's hope he will not only do so, but improve from that.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1636: Mar 11, 2013 08:47:38 pm
      Anytime he got the ball in the 2nd half, I actually got off my seat with anticipation of something good. Says a lot.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #1637: Mar 11, 2013 09:40:38 pm
      Honestly after reading the reviews he's gotten, I'll have to rewatch the game before training in the morning. I thought he was a passenger in the first half during our best time of dominance.

Johnson was clearly asked to not get forward as much and I thought it hurt Downing a little.

I'll keep an eye on him tomorrow when I watch it again.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #1638: Mar 11, 2013 11:40:48 pm
      The fact that there is a debate as to how good Downing was is actually progress from his earlier days ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1639: Mar 12, 2013 06:02:08 am
      2 in 2. Keeping Raheem on the bench. Keep up the improved work, Stewart.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1640: Mar 30, 2013 11:43:06 pm
      Downing: "Brendan wants me to stay, he’s told me that, he said I have been brilliant and that’s why he wants me to play every week."
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1641: Mar 31, 2013 12:01:58 am
      Downing: "Brendan wants me to stay, he’s told me that, he said I have been brilliant and that’s why he wants me to play every week."
      Top marketing from our gaffer there.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1642: Mar 31, 2013 03:33:12 am
      Downing: "Brendan wants me to stay, he’s told me that, he said I have been brilliant and that’s why he wants me to play every week.
      And then I woke up".

8)
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #1643: Apr 27, 2013 10:47:27 pm
      2 more assists today...
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1644: Apr 28, 2013 03:57:32 am
      I wonder if he can get even better next season?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1645: Apr 28, 2013 09:18:46 am
      Still getting singled out yesterday but was better than the lad behind him and chipped in with two assists.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #1646: Apr 28, 2013 09:35:45 am

;)

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1647: Apr 28, 2013 11:24:55 am
      Still getting singled out yesterday but was better than the lad behind him and chipped in with two assists.

But the lad behind him was in the running for worst player on the pitch.  Downing frustrated me, yet again, yesterday with some of his decision making, on and off the ball. Overall it was a solid performance, a 6 out of 10, but I think we need to start seeing some 7 out of 10s from him. 

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #1648: Apr 28, 2013 12:32:47 pm
      He was good yesterday but I don't like the idea of  having S.Downing as starter for Liverpool, and I will never like it. He's too average for us, he can do a job when needed but I expect more from a winger playing for us.
      That being said,  he has improved and can be in our squad next season but not a starter
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1649: Apr 28, 2013 12:39:57 pm
      He was good yesterday but I don't like the idea of  having S.Downing as starter for Liverpool, and I will never like it. He's too average for us, he can do a job when needed but I expect more from a winger playing for us.
      That being said,  he has improved and can be in our squad next season but not a starter

I agree! Wouldn't get rid though, just gives us more work to do when finding replacements.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #1650: Apr 28, 2013 01:01:27 pm

Basically you're saying you don't like Downing playing for us because he's Downing.

You also just said he was good then in the next sentence claimed he's too average.

This is the problem with most people on here, it was the same a few years back with Lucas.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #1651: Apr 28, 2013 01:31:06 pm
      Nonsense, Downing was very good yesterday and has been for the last five or six matches.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1652: Apr 28, 2013 01:38:12 pm
      Wouldn't say no to another year of Stewart playing like this.

However, with his current form it's now or never if we want to get back anything near what we paid for him. Decisions to be made.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #1653: Apr 28, 2013 02:14:03 pm
      Wouldn't say no to another year of Stewart playing like this.

However, with his current form it's now or never if we want to get back anything near what we paid for him. Decisions to be made.

What matters is the manager's take on the long term prospects for the lad.
      He saw a potential in him that fitted in with his formula for a successful squad, it is unlikely he saw him as a bargaining tool, an unfinished product that needed honing or a bit player, he saw in him the image we all saw yesterday.
      You got that feeling when you saw Brendan celebrate the goals it was a look of 'I knew that was coming, I F***ing knew it'.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #1654: Apr 28, 2013 08:03:58 pm
      Basically you're saying you don't like Downing playing for us because he's Downing.

You also just said he was good then in the next sentence claimed he's too average.

This is the problem with most people on here, it was the same a few years back with Lucas.
      Sorry, I may not have expressed my point clearly enough, my mother tongue is not English. Downing has played well recently but these kind of performances should be a standard at LFC. We should not be surprised by a good performance from our winger. Downing has played well recently, but in general he's just an average player.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1655: Apr 28, 2013 10:35:04 pm
      Am I seeing something different to other people? Yes he may have chipped in with a couple of assists which is great, cant take that away from the lad but he still looks like the weak link in our attacks. Other than them 2 assists I barely remember him even being on the pitch. His form has picked up but that's only because it was so sh*te to begin with, hopefully now though we can get a few more bucks from his sale and recoup a bit more of the £20mill! Shop window!

Quick Reply