Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Reds ages - a promising future?

Read 2272 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reds ages - a promising future?
      Aug 29, 2007 10:30:42 pm
      Remember the days of Kenny Dalglish's management when he left us with a bunch of 30 year olds?

Just look at some of the reds most important players and their ages.  No wonder one of the new owners' first jobs was to get them on long contracts.  If we can get things right with this side we could have a strong nucleus of a side for the next 5 years! Good work Rafa!

Agger (22)
      Torres (23)
      Alonso (25)
      Masch (23)
      Sissoko (22)
      Reina (25)
      Babel (21)

And the old bas**rds (hardly!)

Gerrard (27)
      Crouch (26)
      Carragher (29)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Reds ages - a promising future?
      Reply #1: Aug 29, 2007 11:44:40 pm
      And Rafa will never stop recruiting young talent.  We are assured for the next 5 - 6 seasons ahead that we will be ok.

Planning for the future is essential!!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #2: Aug 30, 2007 12:12:31 am
      Carra is going to be the big one to replace.  But he isn't a player who relies on his pace, and as Hyypia at 33 is still showing he can do a job you would imagine Jamie could have another 5 years in him.

Quitting England in my opinion will only help his LFC career.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #3: Aug 30, 2007 12:53:46 am
      Apparently Rafa has asked Stevie if he can buy one of his wife's eggs....
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: Aug 30, 2007 08:00:45 am
      Remember the days of Kenny Dalglish's management when he left us with a bunch of 30 year olds?

Just look at some of the reds most important players and their ages.  No wonder one of the new owners' first jobs was to get them on long contracts.  If we can get things right with this side we could have a strong nucleus of a side for the next 5 years! Good work Rafa!

Agger (22)
      Torres (23)
      Alonso (25)
      Masch (23)
      Sissoko (22)
      Reina (25)
      Babel (21)

And the old bas**rds (hardly!)

Gerrard (27)
      Crouch (26)
      Carragher (29)

Totally agree with you on this. It could be the start of a remergence of domination of english and European football, we have waited too long in the dark for something to happen like this and after seeing the first couple of performances we have to look forward to even better ones. I am pleased with the fact that Torres has so far seemed to settle after looking a bit uncomftable pre season, this can only lead to better things. This has to be our best squad for years to be honest, and Im really looking forward to watching how things develop, and how Rafa shapes and moulds the clay into something really special.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #5: Aug 30, 2007 09:08:53 am
      definately, I cant see any other team that has a squad that strong at those ages. when I look at those names I think of amazing footballers and even better, a bright red future!

oh and noice signiture pragmatic!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: Aug 30, 2007 11:57:51 am
      It's a really good thought for the future, when you look at how they're handling the pace at the moment!  ;D Happy days!  8)

They're only going to get better over the next few years, and Carragher has got a while left in him yet! You never know, he might do a Teddy! But stay at the one club! ;)
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #7: Aug 30, 2007 12:52:10 pm
      Rafa's brought in quality, quality youngsters who can play and grow together. Alonso and Mo settled in the prem playing next to Stevie, Agger played alongside Carra and Sami. These players can in turn help the new boys through the adjustment phase...although some look like they've already hit the ground running (referring here to our record signing, one Mr Torres).

It really looks so positive, I can't help but feel that the title will be in our grasp in the not too distant future...

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2007 12:55:51 pm by Saffi 7 »
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #8: Aug 30, 2007 01:05:16 pm
      Things are looking good now if only we can blood some young english talent to the squad.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #9: Aug 30, 2007 01:28:54 pm
      Not only have we got a whole bunch of young twenties in the team, but Rafa has bought around 20 youth players from all across the world, and if only a few of them come good then he's done well and we'll have even more reason to be happy.

And with the youth team that has won the Youth Cup two years in a row, we clearly have quality down there. Hopefully a few of those winners will be knocking on the first team squad's door this year.
      bluemaster
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #10: Aug 30, 2007 01:42:48 pm
      i hope hammill or anderson will get their chance next season.. ;)

that will be great for me!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,261 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Aug 30, 2007 01:57:43 pm
      doesnt always work that way tho does it? years ago whem Fowler macca matteo thompson owen redknapp berger were all young and palying together youd have thought hang on this will be some side theyll win lots but it didnt happen. in saying that we didnt have rafa in charge then so shut up Brian  ::)
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #12: Aug 30, 2007 02:07:54 pm
      Yeah well, back then we had Houllier, who totally messed up a very promising Liverpool team. :(
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #13: Aug 30, 2007 02:49:24 pm
      Yeah well, back then we had Houllier, who totally messed up a very promising Liverpool team. :(

I personally think people are too quick to slate Houllier. Ok he made some very strange decisions towards the end of his tenure, but he dragged the club into the 21st century & improved the club a lot whilst not being able to take us back to the very top. The team that Brian's talking about was under the management of Roy Evans, to be honest I feel we could have won the league with a better manager in place.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,261 posts | 2823 
      Reply #14: Aug 30, 2007 04:01:54 pm
      yeah i meant the 95-97 period under Roy perhaps should have won a league. tho i wouldnt ever slate roy evans
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #15: Aug 30, 2007 04:06:06 pm
      yeah I meant the 95-97 period under Roy perhaps should have won a league. tho I wouldnt ever slate roy evans

The guy was just too nice for his own good unfortunately, he let the lads get away with murder. If Rafa had been in charge back then I think our number of titles would be a fair bit higher.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16: Aug 30, 2007 04:37:59 pm
      People also forget it was Houlllier's team that won us the Champions League, although had GH been managing that year, not Rafa, I don't think we'd have come close the CL title. Just shows you what a good manager brings to the team.
      bluemaster
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #17: Aug 30, 2007 06:11:04 pm
      if i'm not mistaken.. the manager when the time we won champs league was rafa benitez.. how come g. houllier was the manager ? ;D... >.<
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #18: Aug 30, 2007 06:14:43 pm
      if I'm not mistaken.. the manager when the time we won champs league was rafa benitez.. how come g. houllier was the manager ? ;D... >.<

No-one said he was the manager, Artaylor simply made the point that apart from Alonso & Garcia pretty much all the players that played in that campaign were Houllier's signings.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #19: Aug 30, 2007 06:51:37 pm

Sorry dont know how you can say that about GH. After winning that treble people expect more of the same the following season and as we all know football just aint like that. I also cant see how you can go about making hypothetical assumptions like this based on very little evidence and just an anicdote of one line. Although I hate to admit it I happen to agree with a lot of what Eddie is saying with regards to the different types of managers they both were with strenghths and weaknesses. GH for being a more fatherly figure (read Gerrards Book) and Rafa for being the more distant and seeing things as a Red Machine not getting too close to players but letting them know where they stand as a cog in that red machine.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,261 posts | 2823 
      Reply #20: Aug 30, 2007 06:57:27 pm
      i think the diouf and diao signings were what turned peoples feeling towards Gerard if they had have worked hed be still a fan favourite

Tho reading Gods book kinda turned me off him more then anything else but in saying that I fookin love Fowler
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #21: Aug 30, 2007 07:01:19 pm
      I know it's completely my own fault cos I started the Houllier discussion, but:

:ontopic:

;D ;D ;D
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #22: Aug 30, 2007 09:28:03 pm
      I hope hammill or Anderson will get their chance next season.. ;)

that will be great for me!

I was hoping to see some of the new lads this season but now we have made more signing for the title push I think they now need to concentrate on the reserves.  Anderson is supposed to be sh*t hot along with Hammill and Threlfall.  Maybe Rafa will play them in a cup game who knows?

Quick Reply