Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Ian Rush column

Read 3572 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Ian Rush column
      Oct 28, 2008 11:41:33 am
      From the Echo

Ian Rush: Bridging gap will give our players so much self belief

THE bookies are never far away with their prices . . . and the odds on Liverpool to win the title have tumbled since the start of the season.

Nobody's going to get carried away in October, but the evidence is now starting to stack up.

We made a very good Chelsea team look ordinary on Sunday, and for me the most significant aspect of the win was that it was totally down to teamwork.

Last season we relied so heavily on Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, but now we've beaten Manchester United without either of them in the starting line-up, and also ended Chelsea's long unbeaten home record without Torres.

That not only gives the other players in the squad enormous self-belief, it also helps Stevie and Fernando by showing that the responsibility isn't always going to fall at their feet.

That could be a very significant development on last season.

As the match entered the final 20 minutes at Stamford Bridge I was anticipating a Chelsea cavalry charge, but if anything Liverpool looked even more dangerous in the closing stages.

The workrate was magnificent and if I was handing out a man the match award, I'd be giving it to the entire team.

Just as importantly, the post-match comments from the players shows that they don't appear to be getting too carried away by the win and are already focusing on tomorrow's visit of Portsmouth.

The next couple of home games are going to be very important.

Fans might be tempted to see the visit of managerless Portsmouth and newly promoted West Brom as 'gimmes', but they are exactly the kind of matches we've struggled with in the past.

And when you think that we needed late goals to see off Middlesbrough and Wigan, having conceded two goals to each of them, then it's clear that we will need to be absolutely focused and willing to work just as hard in order to collect maximum points.

The good thing is that the players and coaching staff don't seem to be showing any signs of getting carried away.

Things are looking promising, but while there's still an awful lot of hard work to be done, the current squad of players look like they're prepared to roll their sleeves up and do it.

Well it looks like we are facing two new clubs with two new managers at the helm.  Arguably the worst time to play both sides.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Re: Ian Rush column
      Reply #1: Oct 28, 2008 12:16:16 pm
      He makes some good points. Especially his point aboutthe games we've struggled with in the past. I think we have the right mentality now though. We have to be ruthless to these teams!!

He made around about the same comments on Sky Sports News yesterday. He was asked if Torres was better than him!!!
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Oct 28, 2008 12:20:38 pm
      pompeys got a new manager now...so their not rudderless....tony adams...is this a gamble (thats not a pun..ha ha)
      and spurs have finally got a new man...if only that game came when ramos was manager it would have been so much easier

never mind....great comments by rushy though..agree with them all
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 25, 2011 09:51:25 am
      Rush: Duo will deliver

25th Jul 2011 - Latest News

Ian Rush today backed Liverpool's front-line duo of Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll to fire the Reds towards success this season.

With Suarez already an Anfield sensation after a blistering few months at the club, and with Carroll having shown signs of his undoubted promise after overcoming early injury problems, Rush believes the signs are bright that the two could forge a partnership to rival the almost unplayable one he struck up with Kenny Dalglish during his own playing days.

"I think if they can gel, which they should be able to, the partnership between Carroll and Suarez could be a really big thing," he said.

"It doesn't matter that they are from different backgrounds. Actually, Kenny and I didn't speak much off the pitch.

"I talk to him far more now than I ever did when we were playing together. We just fitted in because we had different skills.

"I had speed and could finish chances, and he had the most amazing football brain.

"I've watched Andy getting his fitness up to standard on the club's Far East tour and when Suarez gets back from international duty and the two start training together, I'm sure they'll build up a partnership.

"The potential is fantastic. Andy came to us with injuries last season, but in any case your first spell at a club like Liverpool is always an adjustment.

"People forget that I struggled a bit in my first season. But I've no doubt it will come right for him - and quickly, too."

Rush also believes the summer arrival of midfielders Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing will have a positive impact on the form of captain Steven Gerrard.

"One of the best things about when Kenny took over was that - apart from the last two games - we went on a fantastic run. And that was without Steven Gerrard.

"Stevie has now got competition. Fully fit, I'd have him in my side anytime, but I think he'll like the fact that he's going to have to be at the top of his game.

"It will almost be like having another new signing."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/rush-duo-will-deliver
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #4: Jul 25, 2011 07:44:22 pm
      Rush: Duo will deliver

25th Jul 2011 - Latest News

Ian Rush today backed Liverpool's front-line duo of Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll to fire the Reds towards success this season.

With Suarez already an Anfield sensation after a blistering few months at the club, and with Carroll having shown signs of his undoubted promise after overcoming early injury problems, Rush believes the signs are bright that the two could forge a partnership to rival the almost unplayable one he struck up with Kenny Dalglish during his own playing days.

"I think if they can gel, which they should be able to, the partnership between Carroll and Suarez could be a really big thing," he said.

"It doesn't matter that they are from different backgrounds. Actually, Kenny and I didn't speak much off the pitch.

"I talk to him far more now than I ever did when we were playing together. We just fitted in because we had different skills.

"I had speed and could finish chances, and he had the most amazing football brain.

"I've watched Andy getting his fitness up to standard on the club's Far East tour and when Suarez gets back from international duty and the two start training together, I'm sure they'll build up a partnership.

"The potential is fantastic. Andy came to us with injuries last season, but in any case your first spell at a club like Liverpool is always an adjustment.

"People forget that I struggled a bit in my first season. But I've no doubt it will come right for him - and quickly, too."

Rush also believes the summer arrival of midfielders Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing will have a positive impact on the form of captain Steven Gerrard.

"One of the best things about when Kenny took over was that - apart from the last two games - we went on a fantastic run. And that was without Steven Gerrard.

"Stevie has now got competition. Fully fit, I'd have him in my side anytime, but I think he'll like the fact that he's going to have to be at the top of his game.

"It will almost be like having another new signing."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/rush-duo-will-deliver

Reviving a 3 year old thread?
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 25, 2011 08:29:52 pm
      Why not mate? Just for the sake of the title of the thread, I've put this news in it for discussion ;)
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #6: Jul 25, 2011 10:09:36 pm
      Just like they might do in Macedonia? Hmmm....
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Jul 25, 2011 10:12:07 pm
      What are you implying about MR Devil hunter?
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #8: Jul 25, 2011 10:16:14 pm
      What are you implying about MR Devil hunter?
      Oh nothing...just that he seems to like posting quite a lot of news articles and has very recently joined the forum.

Could be coincidental though  :-\
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #9: Jul 25, 2011 10:29:45 pm
      Also he post's them correctly unlike the rest of us who seem to struggle.
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #10: Jul 25, 2011 10:34:07 pm
      Well if his post count hits 1500 after a month of signing up it will be a dead give away :laugh:
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #11: Jul 25, 2011 10:48:26 pm
      Well if his post count hits 1500 after a month of signing up it will be a dead give away :laugh:
      Currently on 52 posts per day. 52 x 30 days = 1560  :lmao:

This is all speculation though  ;)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #12: Jul 25, 2011 11:19:55 pm
      Just like they might do in Macedonia? Hmmm....

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #13: Jul 25, 2011 11:40:31 pm
      Currently on 52 posts per day. 52 x 30 days = 1560  :lmao:

This is all speculation though  ;)

Ha ha it could just be a copy cat poster :)
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #14: Jul 26, 2011 12:20:35 am
      Ha ha it could just be a copy cat paster :)
        :laugh:

So sorry mods for dragging this off topic. I couldn't resist and it is 2 years old after all.

I'll get my coat now.

Quick Reply