Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Hull 3-0 Liverpool: Live and post match Shocker!

Read 23016 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Hull vs Liverpool: Match thread
      Reply #299: Jul 24, 2011 10:28:15 am
      Not arsed in the slightest by pre-season games . They are there for fitness and sorting your tactics out and that's that . They are not a marker for a certain players form or ability or the teams for that matter. Oh for the day's when we just read a little piece on the inside page of the echo that Liverpool had a pre season friendly last night and they got beat , the team that played was such and such ,and that was it

Igor! Alright mate?

Yeah I agree there is way too much analysis and over-analysis of these fixtures and it's probably coz we're all chomping at the bit for the new season to arrive. Surely you're a little concedrned to see us concede 3 goals in every single game so far though?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Hull 3-0 Liverpool: Live and post match Shocker!
      Reply #300: Jul 24, 2011 11:22:54 am
      Not arsed in the slightest by pre-season games . They are there for fitness and sorting your tactics out and that's that . They are not a marker for a certain players form or ability or the teams for that matter. Oh for the day's when we just read a little piece on the inside page of the echo that Liverpool had a pre season friendly last night and they got beat , the team that played was such and such ,and that was it

Hey Igor nice to see you mate. I try not to get to worked up either, but getting spanked 3-0 by Huill did make me sit up and take note a bit. Providing we use it positively in the sense we say "right from now on, we f***ing play properly" it could be a positive.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #301: Jul 24, 2011 11:32:09 am
      It was only a friendly guys, it weren't our full strength side either, our defence on both halves is just a bunch of random players together, Ayala and Carragher - won't be on the same wavelength, neither will Soto and Wilson.

Besides, we used to get beat by poor sides in friendlies in the past, you can't just jump on the bandwagon and say 'we're sh*te at the back' after one game, plus it wasn't our normal back 4.

I'll start getting worried if we play like that against Galatasary and Valencia ...

Looking at the positives, up front we look like we are going to destroy teams. We look as if we have loads of different options now and not just hoof it up to Carroll, and Suarez and Gerrard are yet to join the first team.

From now on, I'm just going to ignore the haters.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #302: Jul 24, 2011 11:57:35 am
      Watched the game yesterday and was quite shocked at the performance to be honest. A game of 2 teams in 2 halves. I know it's pre-season but that was difficult to watch. It's hard to pass judgement really, a lot of new players forming new partnerships. As Kenny said himself, they're ironing out the creases and that is understandable. I'm just hoping that by the time we play Sunderland that the cloth is finely pressed and dressed.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #303: Jul 24, 2011 11:59:39 am
      I really do wish i could care about a friendly....

Pre-season friendlies are just that,so i wouldn't look to much into the result....The season starts against Sunderland not Hull and not Valencia..

So let's see...if we had won 7:0 would we then we would be ready?   
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #304: Jul 24, 2011 01:58:23 pm
      I don't normally take much notice of pre season friendlies but I can't help but notice that we have played three now an conceded three in each game.

That needs to be sorted out quick smart.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #305: Jul 24, 2011 02:34:15 pm
      I don't normally take much notice of pre season friendlies but I can't help but notice that we have played three now an conceded three in each game.

For sure our  defence must improve
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #306: Jul 24, 2011 02:34:20 pm
      All it confirms is we have quantity at centre half rather than quality.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #307: Jul 24, 2011 03:24:01 pm

Good point mate and that's what exactly Kenny pointed out in his post-match talk as he said they should do much better in the following friendlies to get their place or may be sold or just warm the bench and make numbers.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #308: Jul 24, 2011 03:58:52 pm
      The combination of defenders we've been playing, half of them have never played together in a backline before. The absence of Pepe is clear as well.

Though perhaps conceding so many has convinced Kenny and Comolli we need another CB, which would not be a bad outcome..
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #309: Jul 24, 2011 04:50:51 pm
      Could be the kick up the arse we need to really get a good start to the season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #310: Jul 24, 2011 05:08:12 pm
      Could be the kick up the arse we need to really get a good start to the season.

Well it could, and hopefully that's how it pans out. I'm well with the guys who are saying "it's pre season and it doesn't matter" because it doesn't, but getting spanked 3-0 by the likes of Hull isn't a habit you'd be wanting to get into, pre season or not.

Funnily enough there is one glaring positive out of the defeat, and that's the fact that we have King Kenny as manager. Were Rafa still in charge, or perish the thought Hodgson, there would be blood on the dancefloor on the forums. As it is, it's Kenny and most people are able to not panic too much about the whole thing.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #311: Jul 24, 2011 06:35:46 pm
      Though perhaps conceding so many has convinced Kenny and Comolli we need another CB, which would not be a bad outcome..
      Bingo!

The silver lining in yesterday's cloud is that it rudely emphasized to Kenny and Comolli that we immediately need at least one new defender with talent enough to move into the starting XI. We can't just be satisfied with what we have right now. Our defense, as presently composed, isn't going to help us us get into the top 4.
      igor zidane
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 13 
      Reply #312: Jul 24, 2011 07:48:33 pm
      Personally i not worried in the slightest by yesterday's performance . It was obvious at the end of last season where we needed to improve and it's still obvious after yesterday , along way to go yet . I'll save myself the worry until after the sunderland game when it matters and when we have a better knowledge of who's in and more importantly who's out . Get rid of the sh*te like cole and whatknot and Kenny can get a centre half in and possibly a striker . Not worried in the slightest though regarding our play . Good to see some old faces on here aswell .
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #313: Jul 24, 2011 10:04:28 pm
      Of course we need to improve, that's what these pre-season games are for, but for a little bit of perspective:

Absent: Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Suarez, Johnson, Lucas & Gerrard (over half of our first 11?).

First game of pre season: Doni, Henderson & Downing (there may be one or two others).

How many games have we lost so far? One.  We won the previous two.

Did our first choice defensive line play? No.

Did our first choice midfield play? No.

Has the transfer window closed? No.

What have we lost, three points or have we been knocked out of a cup competition? We haven't lost any points or been knocked out of any competitions.

Perhaps this is too extreme, but I remember Capello getting a load of sh*te from pundits, fans and the press for friendly results when he first started the job.  They wanted him out - based on friendly results.

I hope we don't start getting edgy based on this pre-season where we have lost one game so far.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #314: Jul 24, 2011 10:20:37 pm
      Of the friendlies played, I would've though Hull would be the result to look for - typical championship side, tough, determined, playing LFC etc.  So to loose 3-0 is a 'bit' of a concern, even though we had a lot of players missing, changed the 11 starters etc. The weeks are running out and it would be good to start the PL strongly.

Still, I've huge faith in KK and Clarke. At the same time, would like to see us playing matches with a side that resembles the one that will start the first game. See the style of play. Expect that will come soon though. Plus would also really like to see them trim the squad some more, there's far too many passengers, moaners on the wings - I'd much prefer things tighter knit, helps focus, moral etc.  But still time for that too...
      sebfc20
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #315: Jul 25, 2011 12:27:17 am
      Well I wasnt expecting that, Not really concerned though tbh because out of that full team there was only maybe 4 players that I would want to start this season, Second half thought we started well and liked the look of the way we were playing up until they got us on the counter and killed the game off. Hull played really well and it didnt ever look like we was going to break there defence down. Thought Henderson looked like a great prospect and was interesting to see him start in the gerrard role as I thought he would of gone on the wing. Also thought Downing played well, saw alot of the ball and nice to an out an out winger finally. Looking forward to the Valencia game as most of our team will be back then and we can see how its coming along with a full team to pick from.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #316: Jul 25, 2011 01:19:21 am
      It's nice for everyone to say it doesn't matter, but as KK said himself, Liverpool go out to win every game. I personally can live with the performance of the second half, a few first time run outs in that team and quite a few positives, it was the first half that was most worrying and not purely because we lost it 2-0 but the sheer lack of quality shown by anybody was painful. Although that's a little harsh on Jack Robinson, thought he did ok to be fair.

Kenny was clearly angry with the first half performance too and in no way dismissive, was nice to see and hopefully they felt some wrath, because no matter what stage of the season you're at you play with pride for that shirt and the fans or you don't play at all! As Kenny eluded to post match, most of that team starting in the first half are gonna get less and less of an opportunity to impress and move up the ranks and personally I don't see it, the positive is that they aren't players that we're likely to have to rely on, and the youth we have coming up will hopefully leapfrong these, or most of these now. (Likes of Morgan passing Ngog, Sterling passing Cole etc)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #317: Jul 25, 2011 02:04:42 am
      3-0 loss in a Friendly! Thank F**k I missed it.  :mad:
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #318: Jul 25, 2011 11:48:21 am
      It's funny how the tide changes when it suits... The loss against Hull was an embarrassment plain and simple, the fact that we nearly threw away the Guangdong match is also worrying.

It's a fact that we were missing a number of first team players is obvious and is hardly consolation. It only corroborates my fear that while our first team is just about the quality we need (mostly) the squad depth leaves alot to be desired.

DC and KK should be kicking Henry and Werner's arses to get the cash needed to improve the squad. With Suarez giving his all in every game at the Copa I'm sh*t scared of him picking up an injury at the start of the season... I honestly believe our season rests on his and Stevie's shoulders.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #319: Jul 25, 2011 12:14:13 pm
      First I thought we did not need a CB since it represented a saturated defense and hence fierce competition for the young players and Soto has signed a new contract. However Agger is injury prone and it seems it is not changing. So Carragher and Skrtel are the only good CBs on which we can rely on. We have good young CBs but we need to sell Soto first.Aurelio  must leave(he's a very good player but too often injured . We need another DM to cover Lucas but Spearing might do the job.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #320: Jul 25, 2011 12:31:22 pm
      Tony Barrett: Put Hull into perspective

Liverpool Have Been To Hull But They Will Come Back

PERSPECTIVE and 3-0 defeats make for unlikely bedfellows, even when such reversals come during pre-season, a time when improving fitness takes priority over results. Liverpool’s heavy loss to Hull City on Saturday was certainly an eye opener as a number of weaknesses were exploited by the Championship side but it need be no more than that even if it did make for an uncomfortable afternoon for everyone who watched it.

As losses by three clear goals go, this one was a world away from Liverpool’s hammering at the hands of Espanyol by an identical scoreline two years previous. That defeat was the first time that the penny really dropped with regard to how difficult life would be without Xabi Alonso as Ivan De La Pena ran the midfield with ridiculous ease, creating a platform from which the La Liga outfit put Liverpool to the sword.

Many of the weaknesses that reared their head on that balmy night at the official opening of Espanyol’s splendid Cornella-El Prat Stadium continued to recur throughout a difficult season which culminated in Rafa Benitez’s departure from Anfield. Those who made the trip from Merseyside to Barcelona for that fixture attempted to console themselves in the knowledge that this was “only” a friendly and that Liverpool would get things right when it mattered most. But there was also an inescapable feeling that too many problems had reared their heads to be corrected throughout the course of the season, not without a significant spending spree anyway.

Hull was very different to that. For starters, there is now harmony between boardroom and bootroom with the manager working in cohesion with the club’s owners and executives to bring about the kind of improvement that is necessary if Liverpool are to reclaim their place among English football’s elite. Now that link has been restored it can be easy to take it for granted but if anyone can bear to cast their mind back 12 months to a time when acrimony reigned then the significance of such unity is underlined.

There is also a very definite sense of Kenny Dalglish knowing exactly what work is still required to be done before the transfer window closes on the last day of August. The Liverpool manager has already tried, albeit without success, to recruit a central defender and a left back as he looks to enhance his playing squad and he will resume his search for reinforcements in these positions once he has managed to sell a number of fringe players.

Dalglish was as aware as everyone else that defensive reinforcements were required before Liverpool began their pre-season preparations and the fact that he has seen his team concede three goals in each of their games so far will obviously not have changed his opinion on that matter. But equally, he will also ensure that he does not panic into bringing in a new signing as a matter of undue urgency just because of a few bad results.

One of the great benefits of Dalglish’s extensive experience in the game is that he has been in this kind of situation before. In the summer of 1988, the Liverpool team that he had guided to the championship the season previous was on the wrong end of a 5-1 hammering at the hands of Atletico Madrid in a pre-season friendly in Spain. The “Reds in Crisis” headlines duly followed but the “crisis” only lasted for two days as Liverpool responded to that defeat with a 4-0 win of their own over Real Sociedad. They then went on to start the season with four straight wins.

It may be a time-worn cliché but pre-season being about fitness is also a truism and the next time Liverpool play – in this case against Galatastary in Istanbul on Thursday – the players will be expected to be sharper for their admittedly chastening experience at the KC Stadium on Saturday afternoon and if that is the case then it will have all been worthwhile.
      http://thekop.liverpoolfc.tv/_Liverpool-Have-Been-To-Hull-But-They-Will-Come-Back/blog/4952051/173471.html

Quick Reply