Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Hull 3-0 Liverpool: Live and post match Shocker!

Read 23243 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Hull vs Liverpool: Match thread
      Reply #276: Jul 23, 2011 11:51:14 pm
       I think carragher has seen his best years. He is still good enough to do a job but his legs are going he was never the quickest anyway. He is forcing us to play deeper due to his lack of pace also he struggles now when closed down forcing him to go long and why you see jamie so long so much. I would like a quick comfortable in possession id be happy with cahill at this stage. If we are just buying english
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #277: Jul 23, 2011 11:54:35 pm
      It's true he does force us to play a deeper line due to his lack of pace, however his leadership qualities are exceptional and out of our remaining defenders I am not sure one of them is truly ready to step up to take on his mantle. Would certainly be something I'd be looking for in any centre back that we go for.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #278: Jul 24, 2011 12:02:55 am
      I think carragher has seen his best years. He is still good enough to do a job but his legs are going he was never the quickest anyway. He is forcing us to play deeper due to his lack of pace also he struggles now when closed down forcing him to go long and why you see jamie so long so much. I would like a quick comfortable in possession id be happy with cahill at this stage. If we are just buying english

The one annoying thing i do see in Carra's game, is he results to the long ball 8/10 times.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #279: Jul 24, 2011 12:05:00 am
      I dont think missing carragher was the problem. Id prefer if we bought a top class centre half and have carragher as back up
      Spot on corbally,currently our defense is a mish mash,has been's,wanna bee's,and no hopers.Traditionally at Liverpool,we dominate from the back.So now is the time to spend at the back,if Johnson,Skrtel,and Agger are not ready at this stage,then we have a problem.Kyriagos,gone,Carra,last legs,Insua,not worthy,Kelly,not a right back,Wilson,reserve grade at the moment,Robinson and Flannagan,nailed on for the future.When our competitors spend mega bucks to replace an existing top flight squad,and we are Delboy dealing around second rate players,we are in trouble.It's ok buying for future financial returns,but if we are not competing on the major European stage,and winning domestic trophies,then those relatively low value transfers are worthless.Kun Aguero to City, a "warcime" that will go to my grave,hang your'e head in shame Parry,you tw*t.
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts |
      Reply #280: Jul 24, 2011 12:06:32 am
      Terrible result but it is about getting fit August 6th  v valencia  will be the key pre season game to watch  if we fail then yes were in trouble, but i  dont think that will happen. We are so much stronger than we've been going into a season for a long time.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #281: Jul 24, 2011 01:47:52 am
      I was working today but kept up with the joys of this thread by checking on my phone.

Just watched the second half now, got the impression the first half wasn't worth watching unless I wanted to go to into a coma.

A few points, although admittedly I'm pretty much missed the boat!

We didn't go back to front as much as I thought we would judging by what was said. We weren't that bad defensively, goal aside.

Downing looked good. Henderson was lively. Adam was decent.

Carroll looks much, much sharper and looked a bit pacey on the floor compared to last season. When I saw Carroll in the Championship and with Newcastle in the Prem he looked faster than he did for us, until today.

Bad result but by no means the clusterfuck I was expecting in terms of (second half) performance.

And as for the pre-season does/doesn't matter debate, I'd kinda agree it doesn't matter too much but I wouldn't want to make a habit of losing because it can be bad for confidence. 2009/10 we had a dire pre-season, if I remember rightly, and it carried on into the season.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #282: Jul 24, 2011 02:03:24 am
      Spot on corbally,currently our defense is a mish mash,has been's,wanna bee's,and no hopers.Traditionally at Liverpool,we dominate from the back.So now is the time to spend at the back,if Johnson,Skrtel,and Agger are not ready at this stage,then we have a problem.Kyriagos,gone,Carra,last legs,Insua,not worthy,Kelly,not a right back,Wilson,reserve grade at the moment,Robinson and Flannagan,nailed on for the future.When our competitors spend mega bucks to replace an existing top flight squad,and we are Delboy dealing around second rate players,we are in trouble.It's ok buying for future financial returns,but if we are not competing on the major European stage,and winning domestic trophies,then those relatively low value transfers are worthless.Kun Aguero to City, a "warcime" that will go to my grave,hang your'e head in shame Parry,you tw*t.

Not going to count Doni in this but the last 5 players we have bought

Suarez
      Carroll
      Henderson
      Adam
      Downing

Hardly consider these signings 2nd rate ....problem is some want it all and want it now...took what 5-6 years to take this club from European Champions to almost on the way to the Champions league... going to take a hellavu lot more then 7 month's and 2 windows to return. If anyone is expecting 100M a year spent they are going to be sorely disappointed I am afraid.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #283: Jul 24, 2011 02:18:16 am
      100 million spend is misleading we have recuped 57 million of it and i expect that to be higher by the end of the window
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #284: Jul 24, 2011 02:25:12 am
      Saw the 1st half live but only just watched the 2nd half. Bloody hell there's some optimistic fans in this thread, shocking performance all around. Don't care if it's pre-season. How often do the mancs get beat (let alone dumped on) in pre-season? they don't. Neither do any of the top clubs. Pre-season doesn't matter? it's all about match fitness? Total rubbish. remember the year we got dumped 5-0 in pre-season at FC Mainz? We had a right crappy season that time as well. We were 2nd best in every department. We've conceded nine goals., check thast NINE GOALS in 3 games against gimp opposition. I hope Commoli is watching, we need help at the back, if we don't spend we're in some trouble I think. We look very short of pace and you suspect we will be relying heavily on Suarez this season.

Positives from this embarrassing game. Downing looked bright in the 2nd half, is he 10 million better than N'Zogbia I don't know? Flanagan (for me) is still a better prospect than Kelly, he's more tenacious in the tackle and more agressive as a defender. that's about it. Joe Cole looks like he hasn't regained the step he lost and I'd move him on if anyone is interested. Aquilani doesn't look nearly as good in a game where tackling takes place (can't believe he was getting praise earlier in this thread). Robinson looked solid once again, deffo the front runner for the LB spot if we don't sign anyone.  The good news is that Suarez, Gerrard, Reina and Skrtel (all certain to start) weren't involved!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #285: Jul 24, 2011 02:28:31 am
      100 million spend is misleading we have recuped 57 million of it and I expect that to be higher by the end of the window

oh I know we have not spent 100M Corrbally, just saying any person that thinks we will is deluded...my expectation is about 40 a year..possibly a bit more this year to help seed the squad but not much more than that, I don't see it in the foreseeable future anyway.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #286: Jul 24, 2011 02:37:44 am
      We will spend what we make we all know that. We dont have sheik mansour or roman as our owners. We are all hoping the fair play rules come in so we can compete on a level playing field. Im impressed with our net spend so far this summer but we still defo need to spend on a left back and centre half
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #287: Jul 24, 2011 02:42:24 am
      Don't disagree with you at all, back to my point in responding to the other poster I do not feel the players we have brought in since January are 2nd class in any sense of the word....World Class....I think that term get thrown around alot, very few "World Class" players around.
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2011 02:58:06 am by AZPatriot »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #288: Jul 24, 2011 03:32:38 am
      Saw the 1st half live but only just watched the 2nd half. Bloody hell there's some optimistic fans in this thread, shocking performance all around. Don't care if it's pre-season. How often do the mancs get beat (let alone dumped on) in pre-season? they don't. Neither do any of the top clubs. Pre-season doesn't matter? it's all about match fitness? Total rubbish. remember the year we got dumped 5-0 in pre-season at FC Mainz? We had a right crappy season that time as well. We were 2nd best in every department. We've conceded nine goals., check thast NINE GOALS in 3 games against gimp opposition. I hope Commoli is watching, we need help at the back, if we don't spend we're in some trouble I think. We look very short of pace and you suspect we will be relying heavily on Suarez this season.

Positives from this embarrassing game. Downing looked bright in the 2nd half, is he 10 million better than N'Zogbia I don't know? Flanagan (for me) is still a better prospect than Kelly, he's more tenacious in the tackle and more agressive as a defender. that's about it. Joe Cole looks like he hasn't regained the step he lost and I'd move him on if anyone is interested. Aquilani doesn't look nearly as good in a game where tackling takes place (can't believe he was getting praise earlier in this thread). Robinson looked solid once again, deffo the front runner for the LB spot if we don't sign anyone.  The good news is that Suarez, Gerrard, Reina and Skrtel (all certain to start) weren't involved!

Yes I must confess that shocked me a bit as well.I did think, imagine if we signed Steven Gerrard and he turned in a (for him) average perfoprmace,what would people say then?
      arturs
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #289: Jul 24, 2011 03:37:27 am
      I find the joe cole saga very upsetting

he'd shown promise in the world cup (or at least the warm-up games)

it was all downhill from that red

then the injury

I wish him the best of luck in what he does next but I do find it unfortunate that events played out the way they did

i remember whenever joe cole use to be subbed on (during the time his slump began, aka all the time at lfc) I use to tell my friends hey guys i really got a feeling he's gonna impact the game in some significant way, it just seemed from the look of the lad that he really reallly wanted to play well and i appreciated that. Now i can't even think that anymore. Yeah I wish him luck in the future as well

Positives from this embarrassing game. Downing looked bright in the 2nd half, is he 10 million better than N'Zogbia I don't know? Flanagan (for me) is still a better prospect than Kelly, he's more tenacious in the tackle and more agressive as a defender. that's about it. Joe Cole looks like he hasn't regained the step he lost and I'd move him on if anyone is interested. Aquilani doesn't look nearly as good in a game where tackling takes place (can't believe he was getting praise earlier in this thread). Robinson looked solid once again, deffo the front runner for the LB spot if we don't sign anyone.  The good news is that Suarez, Gerrard, Reina and Skrtel (all certain to start) weren't involved!

i agree with bout the whole super optimistic fans, and the games we played. But then again kenny is completely testing the waters with all the players he can use. And I rather him try playing insua, poulsen...etc now rather than when the season starts. This kinda stuff will help him figure out what is best and against what kind of position. Better we concede tons of goals against crappy teams now than later when it matters.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #290: Jul 24, 2011 03:50:45 am
      The after match chat ,Kenny looked like a guy who made up his mind that he needs to buy .
      After the long trip , a few markers about whats acceptable and The Liverpool Way may have been played .
      The start of the seasons still weeks away ,plenty time to up the fitness and gel.
      Turkey on Wednesday  ,Im sure Mr D will have got his point over by then.
      BigSmooth
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #291: Jul 24, 2011 06:30:55 am
      That gawd awful 3rd kit is to blame for all this.   
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #292: Jul 24, 2011 08:06:32 am
      That gawd awful 3rd kit is to blame for all this.   

Maybe off topic !!
       Not saying like you that the kit was the blame for the loss, But i really don't like that kit  , it seems like a bitter away  kit IMO

YNWA
      LFCexiled
      Reply #293: Jul 24, 2011 09:28:21 am
      In the in-laws so never seen the match and on my ipod so typings a pain in the ass.

Some happy fans in here I see. Is it a possibility that Kenny knows his eleven and he's experimenting to find his best fall back solutions and best formations for each given situation. As I say I never seen the match so I may be wide of the mark and we might just have been sh*te. ;D
      khawja
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #294: Jul 24, 2011 09:29:05 am
      Could any one please post the extended match highlights over here ?
      And how did Downing and Henderson play ???
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #295: Jul 24, 2011 09:46:39 am
      Spot on corbally,currently our defense is a mish mash,has been's,wanna bee's,and no hopers.Traditionally at Liverpool,we dominate from the back.So now is the time to spend at the back,if Johnson,Skrtel,and Agger are not ready at this stage,then we have a problem.Kyriagos,gone,Carra,last legs,Insua,not worthy,Kelly,not a right back,
      I'm pretty sure Agger, Johnson and Skrtel are ready they've been playing premier league football for years, Agger is one of the best centre backs in the league and Johnson is a fantastic footballer, just his positioning lets him down, Skrtel should be back up.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #296: Jul 24, 2011 09:58:39 am
      Thought i'd post my post match thoughts without the alcohol but they haven't much changed to be honest. I know it was a very experiemental side and it didn't bear much resemblance to the team that will start against Sunderland and we were missing Gerrard, Skrtel, Johnson, Suarez and Lucas BUT our rivals all do the same thing in pre-season and yet they still do the business. I wish we had a few more pre-season games against Championship opposition because it's much better prep for the epl than games in timbuktu. The pace is so much quicker, the tackles are flying in and it's mpore like a real game and less a training match when we play at home.
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 573 
      Reply #297: Jul 24, 2011 10:05:37 am
      I suppose its better to have a shocker in pre-season for Kenny to sort things out before we get on with the real stuff.....
      igor zidane
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 13 
      Reply #298: Jul 24, 2011 10:12:18 am
      Not arsed in the slightest by pre-season games . They are there for fitness and sorting your tactics out and that's that . They are not a marker for a certain players form or ability or the teams for that matter. Oh for the day's when we just read a little piece on the inside page of the echo that Liverpool had a pre season friendly last night and they got beat , the team that played was such and such ,and that was it

Quick Reply