Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Valerenga 3:3 Liverpool - Pre, in Match and Post Thread.

Read 45045 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Valerenga v Liverpool - Friendly 1st August 2011 6pm
      Reply #644: Aug 01, 2011 09:35:33 pm
      Watching it on LFCtv now. Great touch by the players before kick off. So far in the first half Downing has looked like he will turn out to be a great signing. Looks comfortable on the right so will give us great veratility.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #645: Aug 01, 2011 09:35:46 pm
      I was working so couldn't get seeing the game so if anyone would be nice and tell me - did Downing have a good game?

His crossing was a bit erratic, but worked both wings well and showed good pace at times. His shooting left a lot to be desired , but I thought he deserved a solid 7, which in a game where we didn't play well wasn't too bad a score. 
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #646: Aug 01, 2011 09:39:45 pm
      Kenny: Hard work ahead

1st Aug 2011 - Latest News

Kenny Dalglish admits there is still work to do ahead of our season opener in two weeks' time following a 3-3 draw with Valerenga on Monday night.

The boss was pleased with the performance of his players during the second half in Oslo as two late goals from Daniel Agger ensured the game ended level.

Andy Carroll had earlier bagged his second goal of pre-season by converting one of several accurate crosses from Stewart Downing.

Dalglish told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It was obviously more pleasing in the second half, we were closing down higher up the pitch. In the first half we stood off. They wanted time to play and we gave them time to play.

"You've got Pepe (Reina) back after his operation, Daniel Agger back, which was good. Raheem (Sterling) got a wee run. Stephen Sama got a wee run as well, so there are some positives.

"We've got to start looking towards the (league) games. The important thing is we've got to be better when we don't have the ball - but the boys aren't shy of hard work. There's an educated week's training ahead."

The trip to Norway brings to an end the travelling for this pre-season, with the Reds having visited China, Malaysia, Singapore and Turkey before Monday's game.

Dalglish has one more match to fine tune his side for the season opener against Sunderland - a showpiece friendly against Valencia at Anfield.

Dalglish added: "The travelling is necessary nowadays because of the stature of the club. It's something we have to do and something we're glad to do. You want to show gratitude to people for their fantastic support. Coming here is much the same - it's a pleasure to come here and play.

"We've had a wee bit of travel but that's to be expected. That won't impinge in any way, shape or form the work we're going to have to do."

Author: Jimmy Rice in Oslo

Liverpoolfc.tv

It always takes some time to gel the new signing with the team and make a proper balance in positions. We showed some shaky defending and didn't support the back line well enough. There's a lot of works to be done. We should learn when to defend as a team and we attack as a team.

Yes, we faced a fitter opponent and that's why I expected a tough challenge for the boys. We have a week for hard works and get ourselves ready for a big KO. One thing for sure is that we have to do better in competitive games and I believe WE WILL though it may take some time.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #647: Aug 01, 2011 09:40:35 pm
      His crossing was a bit erratic, but worked both wings well and showed good pace at times. His shooting left a lot to be desired , but I thought he deserved a solid 7, which in a game where we didn't play well wasn't too bad a score.  

Thanks s@int - I have high hopes for the lad. I've always liked him and reckon he'll be a star for us. I've read the last two pages so I won't be inquiring after anyone else.  :angel:
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 994 posts | 68 
      Reply #648: Aug 01, 2011 09:43:06 pm
      Not seen the match but read the posts and Aqua seems to have impressed again.
      I saw him play at anfield season before last and to be honest he was very poor (more interested in his hair band )so i am glad he seems to have got his confidence back and playing well.
      I would like to see whether he can make a difference week in week out in the premier league under kenny
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #649: Aug 01, 2011 09:55:45 pm
      My own view on Aquilani is that as sometimes happens with him a few of his "moments" came off. He had a couple of good shots and took a couple of good corners and............ well that was it wasn't it?

My opinion is that he just doesn't do enough in a game. Yes every now an then he will create something, but is that enough to warrent a place in the side? Obviously if he started to produce week in week out I would have to review my opinion of him, but at the moment I am happy with my opinion that he just doesn't do enough to earn a regular start in the team and I will be extremely surprised if he manages to force his way into the team this season.

Does producing positive performances 4 games in a row (albeit during preseason) not at the very least warrant the opportunity to prove yourself in a league game?  I certainly think it should....
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #650: Aug 01, 2011 10:12:52 pm
      If he produced what he has so far in pre season and he was a new signing everyone would be raving about him
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #651: Aug 01, 2011 10:17:39 pm
      3-3.

....and what happened for their third goal? How may Reds around the centre of the box?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Valerenga 3:3 Liverpool - Pre, in Match and Post Thread.
      Reply #652: Aug 01, 2011 10:21:18 pm
      I'd like to know why Adam and Aquilani can't co-exist in a team without posters here going at each others throats constantly. Both players have positives and negatives but both might well be needed before this season is finished. Takes a strong starting XI and a strong bench to see a side succeed in the PL.

They can imo. Aquilani, bar 1 game has been playing higher up the pitch, behind the striker. With Aquilani, he actually links the midfield and attack up with his short passes, this would allow Adam to be more involved in the game ... that's how I see it tbh.
      Not seen the match but read the posts and Aqua seems to have impressed again.
      I saw him play at anfield season before last and to be honest he was very poor (more interested in his hair band )so I am glad he seems to have got his confidence back and playing well.
      I would like to see whether he can make a difference week in week out in the premier league under kenny

I beg to differ. He played well when called upon, but obviously wasn't at his best.. but was still good.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #653: Aug 01, 2011 10:23:31 pm
      Does producing positive performances 4 games in a row (albeit during preseason) not at the very least warrant the opportunity to prove yourself in a league game?  I certainly think it should....

Three games mate. I thought he was poor in our first game. If his "moments " don't come off (which they didn't in our first game) all you are left with is him floating around. Since then he has done better, created one or two things and looked neat when in possession. Whether that is enough is up to Kenny, for me I think we need more, while Gerrard and Suarez are missing there is an obvious opening for him, whether he can take it is another matter. I don't believe he will, I think he like many before will flatter on occasion, but find opportunities few and far between while fans of his become more and more frustrated at his seeming lack of opportunities. 

wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #654: Aug 01, 2011 10:25:22 pm
      On todays game looks like downing will just fit right in aslong as he is played on the left .Think he will suprise a few people this year very quick direct and a fantastic cross .
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #655: Aug 01, 2011 10:53:17 pm
      On todays game looks like downing will just fit right in aslong as he is played on the left .Think he will suprise a few people this year very quick direct and a fantastic cross .

You think? I thought he played quite well on the right.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #656: Aug 01, 2011 10:54:52 pm
      You think? I thought he played quite well on the right.

Personally think he brings more to the team starting on the right, by cutting in he brings space for Johnson and by going out wide he can still put in a cross for Carroll or incoming midfielders.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #657: Aug 01, 2011 10:55:25 pm
      Aqua dominating all the talk on here once again but of FAR more concern should be yet another 3 goals shipped. Five game sin a row now which is pretty unbelievable even if it is pre-season. I hope John Henry is watching and feeling just as worried because our squad looks shot when it comes to defending. I honestly believe we will ship goals for fun this season if he doesn't open the cheque book again quickly. It's pre-season and many say it doesn't matter but 15 goals in 5 games says we've got problems. There's no getting away from it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #658: Aug 01, 2011 10:58:37 pm
      I find that interesting that Kenny is seemingly planning to use Downing on the right, at least on occasions. Says a lot about all those who backed his signing on the assumption he was coming to hug the touch-line on the left. The fact is we don't know Kenny's plans yet.

Who played on the left today though? Kuyt? It would be interesting to have another winger then.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #659: Aug 01, 2011 11:03:14 pm
      I'm all for having your wide-men swap sides during the game. It worked really well with Kewell and Gerrard in 2005-06. Also, Mancini had success playing Johnson on the right and Milner on the left last season with both players looking to cut in and get off shots. It worked very well for them in our game at Eastlands last season.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #660: Aug 01, 2011 11:06:32 pm
      My own view on Aquilani is that as sometimes happens with him a few of his "moments" came off. He had a couple of good shots and took a couple of good corners and............ well that was it wasn't it?

To be fair, he did only come on at the 80 minute mark today, so that is a pretty nice result, producing two goals within 8 minutes of coming on. 

My problem with Aqua is his inconsistency, but when he hits his stride he is brilliant to watch.  If he could show that a bit more I'd love it.  Remains to be seen though.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #661: Aug 01, 2011 11:20:29 pm
      I find that interesting that Kenny is seemingly planning to use Downing on the right, at least on occasions. Says a lot about all those who backed his signing on the assumption he was coming to hug the touch-line on the left. The fact is we don't know Kenny's plans yet.

Who played on the left today though? Kuyt? It would be interesting to have another winger then.

I think that's down to Clarke more than KK - at chelsea he employed the tactic a fair bit, players on the "wrong" wing, cutting in.

Just something else to try during a game IMO - Rafa did it a lot as well, and it can work well given the right players.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #662: Aug 01, 2011 11:29:24 pm
      It is the in thing tactically remember barc doing it a few years ago with messi on the right.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #663: Aug 01, 2011 11:33:02 pm
      It is the in thing tactically remember barc doing it a few years ago with messi on the right.

Doesn't Messi play on the right? I thought Pedro starts on the left.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #664: Aug 02, 2011 12:21:35 am
      We've still got some work to do, which was pretty obvious from that performance but, we shouldn't be too judgemental as it's early days yet, the team needs time to gel. Plus we still have Suarez and Stevie (when he recovers) to add to the team.

As for Aquilani, he showed some real class when he came on, albeit he didn't some on til the 80th minute. I think we would be a poorer squad without him and I hope he stays.

Thought Adam put in a few nice long passes in earlier on but, didn't do a lot else and I still think there's a fair bit to do before we get the best out of Carroll.

Also the defence really needs sorting out, Skrtel will be a boost when he's back though.

So overall, I think there's more positives to be taken from this game than negatives.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #665: Aug 02, 2011 12:32:52 am
      Well we can certainly claim to be the entertainers of the pre season do the neutrals. . . I look forward to seeing how we shape up and perform with Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Suarez and Raul available. You'd almost forget about them because of the new and returning players - Henderson, Adam, Downing and Aquilani. Obviously the defense needs an addition or two and maybe a forward but there are encouraging signs in all the crazy games we've had
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #666: Aug 02, 2011 12:42:21 am
      To be fair, he did only come on at the 80 minute mark today, so that is a pretty nice result, producing two goals within 8 minutes of coming on. 

My problem with Aqua is his inconsistency, but when he hits his stride he is brilliant to watch.  If he could show that a bit more I'd love it.  Remains to be seen though.

I agree mate.. I think if he could play "in the hole", "between the lines" or as a creative second striker  (whichever reference you prefer :) ) I think he does well. He does less well when he drops deeper as he did in the first game, and to some extent the third game.

If however he stays further forward I don't think he creates or scores enough to make the position his own. Gerrard obviously can score around 15 to 20ish a season from there and make more than a few, Suarez I would be expecting about the same , so it would only be when he is competing with Cole and Meireles for the role that I see him making any headway. 

Certainly while they are absent he needs to be taking his chance. Demanding the ball and making things happen rather than the more usual floating.

Only my opinion and certainly not meant as definative in any way.   

Quick Reply