Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Govt ordered to release Hillsborough files

Read 29656 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Govt ordered to release Hillsborough files
      Reply #161: Aug 23, 2011 01:41:19 pm
      He is just a scarecrow haired c**t.  Don't know why he is still on MoTD, he is an idiot of the very lowest order.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #162: Aug 23, 2011 02:12:03 pm
      Mark Lawrenson on five live just then:

"let people decide who was to blame, and if some Liverpool fans are to blame they too have to live with their conscience"

What the f**k is he playing at?

What an utter gobs***e.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #163: Aug 23, 2011 02:55:35 pm
      Full disclosure of all government documents relating to 1989 Hillsborough disaster

Responsible department: Home Office

Full government disclosure and publication of all documents, discussions and reports relating to the 1989 Hillsborough disater. *As requested by information commissioner Christopher Graham*

Sign this petition
      Number of signatures:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #164: Aug 23, 2011 03:14:13 pm
      Remember Lawrenson's little snide comment "Right, can we just get on with the football now please" during the live six minute protest we had against Arsenal a few years ago in the cup.

Utter tw*t of a man.
      Didn't catch that, absolutely unforgivable and an absolute c**t.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #165: Aug 23, 2011 03:15:02 pm
      Mark Lawrenson on five live just then:

"let people decide who was to blame, and if some Liverpool fans are to blame they too have to live with their conscience"

What the F**k is he playing at?
      Remember Lawrenson's little snide comment "Right, can we just get on with the football now please" during the live six minute protest we had against Arsenal a few years ago in the cup.

Utter tw*t of a man.

Surely deserving of some reaction?

After all that's happened that comment is laying blame at the Fans door (again) and the least he should do is apologise.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #166: Aug 23, 2011 03:19:21 pm
      If I was Dalglish, I would get him banned from Anfield.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #167: Aug 23, 2011 03:20:33 pm
      This will happen now, hope it is reported widely in the papers.
      Does seem to be getting a fair amount of coverage, the internet terrorists go from strength to strength.

JFT96       
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #168: Aug 23, 2011 03:39:10 pm
      Number of signatures: 115,096 @ 15:34 today.

Excellent work people, keep them signatures coming though. Although the target has been achieved, the more sigs the better. Strength in numbers!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #169: Aug 23, 2011 03:47:49 pm
      I've tweeted lawrenson, if he gets back I'll let you know.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #170: Aug 23, 2011 05:07:11 pm
      I've tweeted lawrenson, if he gets back I'll let you know.
      That's a bit of good news I thought then I looked again and It's "tweeted Lawrenson."
      LFCexiled
      Reply #171: Aug 23, 2011 06:40:05 pm
      That's a bit of good news I thought then I looked again and It's "tweeted Lawrenson."

;D

Given the opportunity I wouldn't mind filling his anus with deep heat, proper w**ker.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #172: Aug 23, 2011 07:27:41 pm
      Cumbria's top medical officer says make Hillsborough documents public

Cumbria's top medical officer has hit out at Government efforts to keep files about the Hillsborough football tragedy a secret.

Liverpool fan John Ashton, Cumbria’s public health director, was in the stadium on April 15, 1989, when a human crush caused 96 people to lose their lives and many more suffer serious injuries.

He helped to treat casualties at the scene and certified a number of people dead. In the immediate aftermath he spoke out on behalf of families, raising concerns about the way emergency services responded to the disaster.

Last month the Government was ordered to release confidential documents about the tragedy that were provided to the then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Information Commissioner Christopher Graham ruled that this information should be released in the public interest.

But now the cabinet office is appealing against his ruling, saying such a move would preempt the independent Hillsborough Inquiry.

Professor Ashton has criticised this attempt to keep the documents under wraps.

“It beggars belief,” he said. “The families had been led to believe that finally everything was going to be out on the table. This is playing with their emotions in an entirely unacceptable way. It’s outrageous and a disgrace.”

More than 63,000 people have now signed a petition calling for full disclosure of the government documents.

This campaign has been gathering momentum on internet site Twitter, with high-profile figures including Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish and footballer Joey Barton urging their followers to add their name.

Prof Ashton called on the Prime Minister to act.

“These families have suffered for over 20 years. David Cameron needs to intervene with the cabinet office, not just on behalf of the families, important as that is, but for the credibility of his own Government,” he said.

“We shouldn’t be protecting politicians of 20 years ago or defending the actions of public servants, particularly within the police force of South Yorkshire. That wouldn’t withstand public scrutiny.”

Prof Ashton, who was at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest with relatives, dealt with seriously injured fans behind the ground’s Leppings Lane End, where the disaster – the worst in British sporting history – happened.

He said bodies were taken to a gymnasium in the immediate aftermath. But at the end of the afternoon he said medical staff were told to leave the gym while senior officers gathered police inside for a briefing.

“I want to know what was said at that meeting because it’s never been disclosed in public,” he said. “I think they were getting their story straight.”

He also wants to know what was said at a meeting of the ambulance service the following Monday. “I want to see any documents that relate to these two meetings,” he added.

Despite attending memorial services and keeping in touch with some of the families, Prof Ashton said he, along with many others who were there, still finds it difficult to talk about the tragedy.

But he added: “When something like this happens I feel duty bound to speak out on behalf of others.”

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/cumbria-s-top-medical-officer-says-make-hillsborough-documents-public-1.870644?referrerPath=home
      LFCexiled
      Reply #173: Aug 23, 2011 07:39:24 pm
      Just short of 120,000 now. It'll probably be getting 20,000 signatures just today alone.

Brilliant job by every single signer.  :gt-happyup:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #174: Aug 23, 2011 07:44:57 pm
      F***ing outstanding. wonder if Lawrenson signed?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #175: Aug 23, 2011 07:47:31 pm
      Here's Lawro's quote in full:

"Why can't the government just say, 'Right. Here are the facts, here are all the papers,' and then just let the people make their minds up. Maybe there are lots of people to blame, maybe there are Liverpool supporters to blame, Stephen. And if there are they have to deal with the consequences. We just basically want to know the truth."

Words chosen selectively (and unfairly you could say) in previous quotes it has to be said.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #176: Aug 23, 2011 08:26:43 pm
      Here's Lawro's quote in full:

"Why can't the government just say, 'Right. Here are the facts, here are all the papers,' and then just let the people make their minds up. Maybe there are lots of people to blame, maybe there are Liverpool supporters to blame, Stephen. And if there are they have to deal with the consequences. We just basically want to know the truth."

Words chosen selectively (and unfairly you could say) in previous quotes it has to be said.
      There is nothing in the fuller quotation that makes the extract about blame and Liverpool supporters any more excusable.
      All investigation proved irrefutabley that the Police and their handling of the horror were to blame and the subsequent attempt by the witch Thatcher and her henchman to obscenely place responsibillity for the disaster on the shoulders of the people who died is inferred by Lawrenson. The man should think before he opens his mouth.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #177: Aug 23, 2011 09:36:02 pm
      There is nothing in the fuller quotation that makes the extract about blame and Liverpool supporters any more excusable.
      All investigation proved irrefutabley that the Police and their handling of the horror were to blame and the subsequent attempt by the witch Thatcher and her henchman to obscenely place responsibillity for the disaster on the shoulders of the people who died is inferred by Lawrenson. The man should think before he opens his mouth.

For sure I absolutely agree stuey. It was slightly taken out of context though. Slightly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #178: Aug 23, 2011 11:28:26 pm

I don't think Lawrenson has the ability to think and speak at the same time stuey. Scandalous thing to say as far as I'm concerned.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #179: Aug 24, 2011 12:24:10 am
      I've said it about him before, he tries so hard to be unbiased towards LFC that he ends up being bias. The man has been involved in the media for a long time and his comment today must have some basis in his mind for it to come out. All he had to say today is "there must be a reason why the government are determined to delay the release" end of.

No response to my tweet before, hopefully get one tomorrow.

Edit: Just went back and lawrenson didn't even tweet to sign the petition, his last tweet was june 13th.

Also forgot to add 124,408 now.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2199

Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #180: Aug 24, 2011 09:37:34 am
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #181: Aug 24, 2011 12:10:17 pm
      Burnham aint bad for a bluenose MP.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #182: Aug 24, 2011 02:24:38 pm
      Hillsborough petition shows some wounds cannot be healed by time
      Ellie Mae O'Hagan, Wednesday 24 August 2011

The truth about Hillsborough is obscured by a great knot of misinformation. We should take the opportunity to untangle it

Last weekend I went to Liverpool – the place that was my home for most of my adult life. I stayed with my best friend and we caught up on the news: riots in Toxteth, a local economy in freefall, and finally the Hillsborough petition, which reached over 100,000 signatures this week. Now, pending approval, the petition will be debated in parliament.

For me, it's not surprising that this 22-year-old news story is as newsworthy as if it had happened yesterday. The Hillsborough football disaster is written into the DNA of Liverpool. It represents both the city's darkest moment, and its extraordinary capacity for solidarity. As Sheila Coleman of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign put it to me, it is "a fundamental injustice that has locked people in a permanent state of bereavement". That much is obvious every anniversary in April: the sense of questions unanswered, a situation unresolved – a great knot of misinformation from the establishment, still untangled long after the cameras went home.

To understand the Hillsborough disaster, one must first understand the context in which it happened. In 1989, four years after the seismic defeat of the miners, the unemployment rate in Liverpool was among the highest in the UK and the city's council was on the brink of bankruptcy. The Liverpool fans attending the match that day were already on the receiving end of a hostile media and government, unafraid of portraying them as the feckless, undeserving poor. As Sheila Coleman reminded me, the match saw them caged "like animals in pens", as though the players on the pitch needed to be protected from them. Later, Superintendent Marshall's account of the day would place undue emphasis on the amount of alcohol consumed by the fans. Coleman recalls Marshall boasting of his ability to handle a crowd during the miners' strike some years before – as though there were some homogenous unruliness in the British working class.

In the aftermath of Hillsborough a concerted effort was made, lead by the Sun, to depict the victims as lumpenproletariat, too disorderly to be trusted. As the Sun accused fans of urinating on the corpses of their loved ones, police offered "crowd trouble" as the reason for their turning away of fans carrying the dying to ambulances. Despite fans risking their lives to save others, using advertising boards as makeshift stretchers, the narrative of a feral underclass persisted long enough to obscure the facts.

Many of my friends in Liverpool are contemptuous of the original inquiry. They say its purpose was to whitewash the truth not expose it. I can't blame them: they've seen 96 families wait decades for answers, while Norman Bettison, involved in Hillsborough, was made chief constable of Merseyside police.

So here we are again. Twenty-two years later and the old maxim, "red sky at night, Toxteth's alight" is relevant again. The Murdoch press is once again in disgrace, and Liverpool is facing the worst budget cuts in the country. As history repeats itself, the families and survivors of the Hillsborough disaster are on the receiving end of familiar obfuscation, familiar "unjustified and excessive delays" in releasing the information by the self-proclaimed children of Thatcher.

It's not right. Some wounds cannot be healed by time. Some questions cannot be left unanswered. The 96 families in Liverpool are still waiting for justice. As John Aldridge wrote in the Liverpool Echo: "They have kept on fighting and they have been so dignified. Now it's time the government started to show some dignity as well." He is right: those families have waited long enough.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/24/hillsborough-petition-justice
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #183: Aug 24, 2011 02:40:03 pm
            ^     ^     ^
      Sobering words.
      Over 128,000 and counting. feats don't fail me now-we're gonna get some answers and the witch Thatchers' head will be tumbling before us.  

Quick Reply