Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Android Appreciation Thread

Read 76170 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Android Appreciation Thread
      Reply #161: May 03, 2012 09:14:57 pm
      They're an Irish company Rep.
      Mobile arm of Eircom, who stupidly sold off their mobile network to Vodafone (I think) before the mobile market in Ireland boomed and they had to set up a new mobile section.
      Was originally called Eircell.
      Semi state idiots.

Not you IO the senior managers that sold Eircell.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #162: May 03, 2012 09:16:46 pm
      Of course, I forget you two are over there sometimes, haha,
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #163: May 03, 2012 09:19:36 pm
      Eating our spuds and drinking our Guinness.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #164: May 03, 2012 09:26:22 pm
      Depends how you use the phone. I use Advanced Task Killer which I press before putting the phone down each time to kill background apps. I don't have the screen on full brightness unless it's a really sunny day so it's harder to see and I use the in-built power saving which changes settings when the battery drops to a certain level. Most importantly, I disable background data when I don't need it. For example when I'm at a pc so can check emails / Facebook etc anyway. The battery lasts all day then even if I'm playing Words with Friends or Draw Something half of the day, which is no different to the iPhone.

I could probably reduce battery life but I'm making a phone call at least 1-2 hours a day for work. I switch off Wifi, bluetooth, mobile data (when I don't need it) etc that are able to be disabled on the notification screen.

I just notice that anything I do, the battery life doesn't last for longer than 8-9 hours. I've already downloaded advanced task killer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #165: May 03, 2012 09:29:03 pm
      I don't bother with anything to help battery life as I'm so used to charging my phone every night it isn't really an issue.

There are a few times, especially when I'm on a long shift in work that the battery is close to being out but I've never run out totally.

HTC Desire HD by the way.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #166: May 03, 2012 10:37:38 pm
      Fair enough, stick with o2 and their shitty data allowance. ;) :laugh:

Offers there all the time though sure! You'll get much more for your money, but obviously depends on what Meteor coverage is like out where you are!

Larger capacity battery, 2100 compared to 1650 in the SII. I know it has 4 cores, but I reckon it will be fine.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #167: May 03, 2012 10:45:29 pm
      I'm always giving out about the data.
      Might have to change network with the new phone,
      But they do give me diverted phones and a good deal otherwise.
      Only carrier with good signal out the bog.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #168: May 03, 2012 10:46:32 pm
      Larger capacity battery, 2100 compared to 1650 in the SII

Wonder if that bettery is backwards compatible with the SII?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #169: May 03, 2012 10:52:25 pm
      Highly possible to be honest Rep. How much you spending per month Racer?

Suppose because I'm out near Drogheda I don't have to worry about signal ha.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #170: May 03, 2012 11:07:49 pm
      60 - 70 quid
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #171: May 04, 2012 12:44:39 am
      The most interesting thing will be the 1.4GHz quad-core processor. Let's see how the battery copes.

Apparently it's more efficient :

If there is one company challenging Apple in the smartphone world, it is Samsung.

The consumer electronics giant is now officially the world's largest maker of phones. By some reckoning it is also the biggest maker of smartphones (although that is debateable).

For the company's bottom line that hardly matters. After all, most of Apple's products could quite as well carry the label "Samsung inside", with the South Korean firm providing most of the key hardware components in Apple's mobile devices.

Many of Samsung's and Apples rivals have faltered in recent years - not just Nokia, but also Sony and HTC.

They failed to innovate fast enough and lost the buzz that no mobile phone maker can do without.

Samsung is different. Its designers and engineers have not relaxed while the firm was riding on a high. With the new Galaxy S3 they have clearly managed to move to the front of the smartphone field, ahead of mighty Apple itself.

The S3 with its 4.8 inch screen is a big phone, but very slim as well. Tiny hands won't be able to grasp it comfortably. But it feels surprisingly light, weighing in at a mere 133 grams.

The Samsung marketing team speaks of an "organic design," which is pushing it a bit, but the phone is very comfortable to the touch.

Most impressive is probably the 8 megapixel camera, which boasts "zero shutter lag" and a burst speed of 3.3 pictures per second, for up to 20 pictures.

Samsung's new quad core processor - much faster and more energy efficient - plays high-definition video without lag or shuddering, even when I played the video in a minimised window in the foreground and used other applications in the background.

Never mind Apple's "retina display", the S3's Super HD Amoled screen is stunning.

It's too early to judge battery life, but on paper the S3 should not suffer the fate of the many smartphones that die during the second half of the day.

There are also nice software touches. The screen does not go to sleep as long as one looks at it.

The phone is "social"; it recognises the faces of your friends in a picture you've just taken, and offers to send it to them at the touch of a button. Samsung's phone-to-phone sharing of videos and pictures is less likely to take off, as it requires that your friends' phones sport the same software.

Overall, the Galaxy S3 is an impressive phone, likely to capture an even larger marketshare than its S2 predecessor managed to carve out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17945853
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #172: May 04, 2012 07:50:49 am
      The same price bracket for unlimited Racer. 64 or 74 depending on whether you have eircom or not.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #173: May 04, 2012 08:33:11 am
      I got me an HTC One X on the 12th April... quad core etc. I use a few power saving tips and only connect to the web when necessary meaning I usually charge my battery every other day - with heavy usage it's every night. I love it to be honest.

Features of the HTC One X include:

8 megapixel camera with autofocus, f2.0 lens and smart LED flash plus 1.3 megapixel front camera
          1080p HD video recording / 720p HD front video camera
          Display: capacitive Super LCD touchscreen with pinch-to-zoom capability, 1280 x 720 pixels (4.7 inches) with auto-rotate
          GPS receiver with digital compass, Google Maps, HTC Footprints and geo-tagging
          Music player (aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma formats)
          FM radio
          Beats Audio sound
          Messaging: SMS, MMS, Email, instant messaging
          Internet: GPRS, EDGE, HSPA (14.4 Mbps download, 5.76 Mbps upload), HTML5 web browser with Adobe Flash support
          Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, micro-USB 2.0, 3.5mm audio jack, DLNA, NFC
          Processor: NVIDIA 1.5GHz, quad core
          Memory: 32GB plus 1GB RAM
          Vibration alert
          Quadband GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) plus HSPA/WCDMA (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
          Size: 134 x 70 x 8.9 mm
          Weight: 130g
          Battery: 1800 mAh
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #174: May 04, 2012 08:36:14 am
      Love the HTC myself too. But from having both a desire and Samsung s2 I will probably go for the Samsung. HTCs are ridiculously over priced in Ireland.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #175: May 04, 2012 08:47:03 am
      HTCs are ridiculously over priced in Ireland.
      I wouldn't know I.O.; I have a contract and the phone comes free. What I do know is that they're much better than and much cheaper (even with a contract) than the iphone. I've had HTC's for four and more years now and I can always, hand on heart, recommend them.

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #176: May 04, 2012 07:45:02 pm
      I wouldn't know I.O.; I have a contract and the phone comes free. What I do know is that they're much better than and much cheaper (even with a contract) than the iphone. I've had HTC's for four and more years now and I can always, hand on heart, recommend them.

The One X is €99 on the highest plan here for €74 per month. Ridiculous, if it was competitively priced it would sell, but.. when the S3 comes out it will be dearer, so beside the S3 it will look cheap so I could see some shifting then!

I love the HTC's just the S2 blew me away.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #177: May 04, 2012 08:08:19 pm
      Be having a good look around shortly, can renew next week but will hold off until the end of the month. Might even change provider, just be looking for the best deal.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #178: May 04, 2012 10:19:59 pm
      Got the Nokia Lumia 800 coming tommorrow, just want to try out Windows 7 phone and the Xbox Live features. Will probably end up going back to my iPhone 4 though, just so used to it now, does everything perfectly for what I want to do.. Got the SII gathering dust in my drawer too, need to fix it so I can sell it, took it to a stall on the inside market but he had no idea what was wrong with it..

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #179: May 04, 2012 11:35:17 pm
      Got the Nokia Lumia 800 coming tommorrow, just want to try out Windows 7 phone and the Xbox Live features. Will probably end up going back to my iPhone 4 though, just so used to it now, does everything perfectly for what I want to do.. Got the SII gathering dust in my drawer too, need to fix it so I can sell it, took it to a stall on the inside market but he had no idea what was wrong with it..

What problems are you having with the s2?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #180: May 04, 2012 11:35:22 pm

I've had HTC for my last two phones but am thinking about this for my next job next.

Let me know what it's like.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #181: May 05, 2012 12:47:22 am
      What problems are you having with the s2?
      It doesnt go past the SII sign when booting up, and if it does so rarely, it comes up woth tonnes of errors and the phone is unusable. Ive tried going into the console thingy (where you hold certain buttons on boot up) and tried to reset to factory settings but it still happens, the guy at the inside market had it for a week and he couldn't fix it. I could probably do all that flashing stuff but I cant be arsed spending time on it, wasn't too keen on the phone anyway, feels like a cheap toy phone on the front of a kids magazine.

I've had HTC for my last two phones but am thinking about this for my next job next.

Let me know what it's like.
      Will do :)
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #182: May 07, 2012 08:27:02 am
      I can't see the galaxy s3 being hsdpa 21.  I think the last s2 was hsdpa 42 on tmobile USA.  Don't get why they would go back to the slower network connection tbh. 

Maybe the first ones will be on that speed, so I may have to wait a bit. 
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #183: May 17, 2012 07:42:14 pm
      I've gone and got the new HTC One X....

Quick Reply