Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Android Appreciation Thread

Read 78353 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Android Appreciation Thread
      Reply #69: Oct 11, 2011 11:29:17 am
      I didn't want to drag the iPhone thread into a 'which is better?' arguement so thought I'd pull this thread back from the depths instead.
      I've been trying to get out of my 3 contract for a while simply because when I go to my dad's pub at the weekends, I have no signal at all and have to use a cheap Tesco PAYG phone so people can keep in touch. Bit of a ball-ache having two phones / numbers.
      Well they've finally relented and let me out of the contract so I had to choose a new phone. I only had a Sony Ericsson W995 which is a great phone in it's own right but not a smart phone. It's also started to slow down significantly over the last couple of months. I know from experience and from firend's phones that O2 have the best coverage around here and at my dad's pub so I decided to go with them (or Tesco who use their network).
      After a lot of research and price comparisons, along with JD's refreshingly honest appraisal of the iPhone 4, I decided to plump for the Samsung Galaxy S2 on O2. For a fiver more than I was paying, I should soon have a top Android handset, unlimted texts, 1GB Data allowance, 50 MMS and 300 cross network minutes (I rarely use my phone for calls so could have made do with 20 minutes!) and most importantly, a bloody signal!  ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #70: Oct 11, 2011 11:51:19 am
      I didn't want to drag the iPhone thread into a 'which is better?' arguement so thought I'd pull this thread back from the depths instead.
      I've been trying to get out of my 3 contract for a while simply because when I go to my dad's pub at the weekends, I have no signal at all and have to use a cheap Tesco PAYG phone so people can keep in touch. Bit of a ball-ache having two phones / numbers.
      Well they've finally relented and let me out of the contract so I had to choose a new phone. I only had a Sony Ericsson W995 which is a great phone in it's own right but not a smart phone. It's also started to slow down significantly over the last couple of months. I know from experience and from firend's phones that O2 have the best coverage around here and at my dad's pub so I decided to go with them (or Tesco who use their network).
      After a lot of research and price comparisons, along with JD's refreshingly honest appraisal of the iPhone 4, I decided to plump for the Samsung Galaxy S2 on O2. For a fiver more than I was paying, I should soon have a top Android handset, unlimted texts, 1GB Data allowance, 50 MMS and 300 cross network minutes (I rarely use my phone for calls so could have made do with 20 minutes!) and most importantly, a bloody signal!  ;D

Nice one.

Let me know how you get on with the android app browsing.
      Reckon I'm going to go for the same phone.

Two of my mates have it now and they love it.

Queue large debate over the weekend where only three of us at the table didn't have an iphone4.
      Smug is not the word for some of them. Thing is the screen on the Samsung looks the dogs, so if the
      accessibility of apps/images and basic user friendliness is there I'll be getting the Samsung. 
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #71: Oct 11, 2011 12:01:08 pm
      Well even if the iPhone 4 IS slightly better (a matter of some debate) it will still be a massive step up from what I'm used to so I don't mind paying less to have something slightly different. I certainly don't view Apple with the same rose-tinted specs as some. For example, I know that the iPads are incradibly thin so there's not much space inside but even my iPod Classic has 160 GB of memory, how come the iPads are sold with just 16GB, 32GB or, if you want to remortgage your house to buy one, 64GB? Simple answer.... $$$$$. They are no longer the cool underdogs and I wish more people would look at their devices openly and be honest about them.
      Anyway, I can't wait to get my phone now. I ordered from buymobilephones.net and there's a lot of horror stories about but the problems seem to be concerned with the free gifts rather than the phones. They also sponsor Derby County so they are at least a proper company! ;D.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #72: Oct 11, 2011 05:56:21 pm

I will be getting my new phone today. It is a HTC DROID 2. I am glad to be leaving my blackberry phone. It will be great to have a better phone.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #73: Oct 11, 2011 06:19:25 pm
      Updating the firmware of my galaxy ace as it will not allow me to text whilst using 3g.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #74: Oct 11, 2011 06:44:47 pm
      Anyway, I can't wait to get my phone now. I ordered from buymobilephones.net and there's a lot of horror stories about but the problems seem to be concerned with the free gifts rather than the phones. They also sponsor Derby County so they are at least a proper company! ;D.

I bought two phones from them rep and didn't have a problem.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #75: Oct 11, 2011 06:51:51 pm
      Anyone else think think the Android Vs iphone thread should be revisited. Given that Apple are on longer the underdog will virus be targeted at them or will Android's open platform make it an easier target?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #76: Oct 11, 2011 07:14:10 pm
      Anyone else think think the Android Vs iphone thread should be revisited. Given that Apple are on longer the underdog will virus be targeted at them or will Android's open platform make it an easier target?

Android's will be the easier target because Google's Android software is open source unlike the Apple Iphone's which isn't.

It can make it more vulnerable to attacks and viruses.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #77: Oct 12, 2011 04:44:31 pm
      I'm sure the Apple fanboys will turn a blind eye but the S2 has just come out tops in the Mobile Phone catagory of the T3 gadget awards.
      First time in ages that is hasn't been the iPhone. Proof that the Android market has caught up? :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15254636
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #78: Oct 12, 2011 05:21:44 pm
      Have you got yours yet Rep? How's the app store and music on it?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #79: Oct 12, 2011 06:32:29 pm
      I have mate, yeah. I've got to be a bit careful with it today because I didn't charge it up properly before coming to work so I'll drain the battery in no time. It's easy to configure so that when the battery drops to a certain level (chosen by you) it will automatically disable some power-hungry features and drop the screen brightness down to save power so there's less chance of it dying before you get to charge it again.
      Out of the box, it comes with loads of apps and 'widgets' installed and a lot of them are fairly useless. I sat down and stripped out anything I didn't want (very easy to do) and then started adding ones I did. You have 7 home screens to fill with whatever you want so it will take a while to populate those.
      The App Store or App Market is great, there seems to be an app for just about everything. Being open source, there's bound to be a lot of crap but everything has a user rating and it also tells you what stage of maturity it's at so you know if something has been tried and tested. There's also a Samsung Suggests app that tells you about any decent apps that crop up on the market.
      Music, I don't know yet, haven't tested it. I've got a battered and scratched iPod that I use when I'm biking so I don't think the MP3 player side of the phone get used that much. It wasn't really a factor in my decision to buy. You can sync with iTunes as you would an iPod so that's not an issue and in terms of downloading, I remember reading that you're as well using Amazon's MP3 service and ignoring Samsung's version. Again, it's so easy to customise and you're not tied to any particular service, just pick what you want or grab the necessary app.
      The display is amazing and flicking between home pages is instant. I know there have been complaints about the layout but the fact that you can move things around wherever you want them negates that for me. The only possible downside for me (and no doubt you) is that a touch of OCD could creep in with regards to organising widgets, ;D.
      So far I'm blown away by it but it's only fair to say that I've never owned a smartphone before, I've only had a play with an iPhone 4, a Galaxy S and then one of these S2s in a shop.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #80: Oct 12, 2011 06:40:34 pm
      Sounds good. Apart from the tendency for OCD influenced layouts. :)
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #81: Oct 13, 2011 07:22:28 am
      S2 is brilliant. Massive Android fan but love some of the new features on iOS5 for the iphone. Reckon you'll see more Android sales in this last quarter of the year. Everyone thought Apple would release an actual new phone not just the same thing with better specs.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #82: Nov 05, 2011 11:13:04 pm
      Just picked up the Samsung Galaxy S2, free on a 2 year contract. Got to say that I'm impressed, if a little overwhelmed. (Technology overload.) Still getting to grips with it after about 8 hours of playing around with it on and off. I currently look like this  ;D though.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #83: Nov 06, 2011 05:58:38 pm
      Nice one Dave, welcome to the dark side. Got that phone too, any questions give us a shout.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #84: Nov 06, 2011 06:17:32 pm
      I'm a member of the dark side too.

Had my S2 for a few months now and I love it. Battery is awful but that's why I've got two fully charged ones on me at all times ;).

Quite annoyed and frustated that when you write a long text message, after 3 texts worth, it automatically changes to a MMS message.

Cost me a fortune last month on my contract.

Having live wallpaper ruins the battery too, but some of the high definition pictures from the app store are breathtaking. 

Love the phone, quick as F**k.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #85: Nov 06, 2011 07:05:28 pm
      S2 is brilliant. Massive Android fan but love some of the new features on iOS5 for the iphone. Reckon you'll see more Android sales in this last quarter of the year. Everyone thought Apple would release an actual new phone not just the same thing with better specs.

Another blow to Apple on the 4S (to the UK market) is the fact that Siri can only offer directions and location services in the US atm
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #86: Nov 06, 2011 07:11:08 pm
      Just picked up the Samsung Galaxy S2, free on a 2 year contract. Got to say that I'm impressed, if a little overwhelmed. (Technology overload.) Still getting to grips with it after about 8 hours of playing around with it on and off. I currently look like this  ;D though.

I'm looking for an upgrade to a quicker Android phone atm, how bad is the battery life on the S2?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #87: Nov 06, 2011 07:16:12 pm
      I'm looking for an upgrade to a quicker Android phone atm, how bad is the battery life on the S2?

I literally get from 6am til 6pm and then have to charge it again.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #88: Nov 06, 2011 07:29:15 pm
      I literally get from 6am til 6pm and then have to charge it again.

Oh that's not too bad then, some of the guys at work have to charge their Ipod's at least every 4-5 hours!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #89: Nov 06, 2011 07:51:08 pm
      Depends what you have running on the phone and how much you're using it. I work for Vodafone and we advise you'll get no more than 12 on any of the smartphones. If you're on the phone a lot the battery won't last long obviously. My 12 hours from continual use from say 8 til 9, plus 12 til 2 and say a  few texts in between and after.

Phones are getting skinnier, batteries are getting skinnier so battery life is shortening.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #90: Nov 06, 2011 08:30:33 pm
      I guess it's to be expected really, my current HTC Wildfire has an excellent battery life but is as slow as a US presidential election, having said it does have some of the features found on a more expensive smartphone ie wireless tethering, decent quality camera, all the sensors, full access to the android market etc etc just s l o w e    r
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #91: Nov 07, 2011 02:38:02 pm
      Getting about 12 hours on average but, somewhat less if I'm using it a lot. On the plus side, the adapter for re-charging is tiny, making it convenient to stick in your pocket. Overall though, it's a fantastic smart phone and really quick.

Nice one Dave, welcome to the dark side. Got that phone too, any questions give us a shout.

Thanks IO. I may just do that although, I think I'm getting to grips with it, it just takes a bit of time as it does so much there's a lot to figure out and then remember  :laugh:

Quick Reply