Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Android Appreciation Thread

Read 76166 times
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Re: Android Appreciation Thread
      Reply #46: Sep 05, 2011 07:05:35 pm
      I am starting to use Dolphin browser HD, do you know which uses more ram that or Opera mini?

Don't know. But Dolphin is a better browser. My phone's battery is low :D so will check later and let you know.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #47: Sep 05, 2011 07:08:34 pm
      Don't know. But Dolphin is a better browser. My phone's battery is low :D so will check later and let you know.

Thanks.

My phone has been on for 5 hours and 15 minutes and lost 13% battery, is that good?
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #48: Sep 05, 2011 08:03:50 pm
      Thanks.

My phone has been on for 5 hours and 15 minutes and lost 13% battery, is that good?

Yes that is very good. I doubt if mine gives much better. Was the wifi/data connection on?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #49: Sep 05, 2011 08:13:03 pm
      Yes that is very good. I doubt if mine gives much better. Was the wifi/data connection on?

Yeah wifi is on with mobile data off.

I have also downloaded Go Launcher Ex, which replaces the samsung look and gives you an HTC look, i was just wondering if anyone uses this app and see's that it uses up a lot off battery.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #50: Sep 06, 2011 04:22:46 pm
      Yeah wifi is on with mobile data off.

I have also downloaded Go Launcher Ex, which replaces the samsung look and gives you an HTC look, I was just wondering if anyone uses this app and see's that it uses up a lot off battery.

What is the point, should have got a htc if you wanted a htc layout. There is not too much of a difference imo anyway.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #51: Sep 06, 2011 05:09:10 pm
      What is the point, should have got a htc if you wanted a htc layout. There is not too much of a difference imo anyway.

I couldn't afford the htcs but i was just trying it out.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #52: Sep 06, 2011 06:28:13 pm
      What phone have you got again?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #53: Sep 06, 2011 07:56:24 pm

Samsung galaxy ace, i just realized 3G murders the battery.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #54: Sep 06, 2011 07:59:44 pm
      Samsung galaxy ace, i just realized 3G murders the battery.

Might be the same as the iPhone. Switch Bluetooth, location services and all those automated updating things off.
      Screen lock right down to 1 min, brightness down.
      May help.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #55: Sep 06, 2011 08:08:46 pm
      Might be the same as the iPhone. Switch Bluetooth, location services and all those automated updating things off.
      May help.

Good point, forgot about the display options. Keep brightness on "automatic". It doesn't strain your eyes too much and keeps the battery in control.
      And keep your wifi,3g,bluetooth,mobile data off as much as you can, that will make the biggest difference to your phone battery.

I couldn't afford the htcs but i was just trying it out.

:o HTC wildfire is cheaper than Galaxy Ace here.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #56: Sep 06, 2011 08:11:27 pm
      Don't think the 3G would make any difference as it's only the 'phone signal.

Like having Dial up, or Broadband. Just the speed of data transfer.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #57: Sep 06, 2011 08:15:08 pm
      Good point, forgot about the display options. Keep brightness on "automatic". It doesn't strain your eyes too much and keeps the battery in control.
      And keep your wifi,3g,bluetooth,mobile data off as much as you can, that will make the biggest difference to your phone battery.

:o HTC wildfire is cheaper than Galaxy Ace here.

May help.

Thanks, I have all that switched off only on edge at the moment to keep an internet connection but when I tried out 3g the battery went down drastically, think I will use EDGE when at school, out and about and switch to wifi with all the mobile data off when at home.

5hours, 33minutes, 28seconds since unplunged. 60% Overall.

63% Cell Stand By.

15% Phone Idle.

15% Wifi.

8% Display.

2% Android.

There my statistics for today, seem much lower then yesterday, but I did have 3G turned on for about 20 minutes.

Mate it does, because its faster on internet it uses up more ram of the phone, it seems I didn't do enough re search on my phone before buying it, the ace has a name for having an underpowered battery.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #58: Sep 06, 2011 08:27:20 pm
      Hey guys I have a HTC Wildfire atm, so ok it's not the quickest phone on the market but it's good enough for what I need in a smartphone for right now, I found the Wireless tethering to be really good last weekend too, as we had just ran out of credit on our mobile dongle, it was really easy to set up and provided a good enough speed for html webpages as well as Steve Hunter's commentary!

I might see how I get on with the Wildfire for now, however I can see myself snapping up a HTC Sensation before the end of the year, they are amazingly quick, have the latest Android 2.3 Gingerbread and come complete with a feature list that will rival if not beat the iphone 4 any day (and the camera is more effective to boot)

Sorry I think I drifted off a bit there  :-[ .............
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #59: Sep 06, 2011 08:29:24 pm
      Hey guys I have a HTC Wildfire atm, so ok it's not the quickest phone on the market but it's good enough for what I need in a smartphone for right now, I found the Wireless tethering to be really good last weekend too, as we had just ran out of credit on our mobile dongle, it was really easy to set up and provided a good enough speed for html webpages as well as Steve Hunter's commentary!

I might see how I get on with the Wildfire for now, however I can see myself snapping up a HTC Sensation before the end of the year, they are amazingly quick, have the latest Android 2.3 Gingerbread and come complete with a feature list that will rival if not beat the iphone 4 any day (and the camera is more effective to boot)

Good to hear mate and not at all, i was thinking about getting this phone but it seemed i preferred the look of the galaxy ace, and the bigger screen just lured me in :D.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #60: Sep 06, 2011 09:05:07 pm
      Good to hear mate and not at all, I was thinking about getting this phone but it seemed I preferred the look of the galaxy ace, and the bigger screen just lured me in :D.

Just had a look round the net and come across this independant review http://www.knowyourmobile.com/comparisons/855860/htc_sensation_vs_apple_iphone_4.html, I have not seen the Galaxy Ace yet but the wife has Samsung Galaxy S and that is pretty cool too.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #61: Sep 06, 2011 09:09:09 pm
      Just had a look round the net and come across this independant review http://www.knowyourmobile.com/comparisons/855860/htc_sensation_vs_apple_iphone_4.html, I have not seen the Galaxy Ace yet but the wife has Samsung Galaxy and that is pretty cool too.

No page found.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #62: Sep 06, 2011 09:14:27 pm
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #63: Sep 07, 2011 10:05:43 pm
      Just had a look round the net and come across this independant review http://www.knowyourmobile.com/comparisons/855860/htc_sensation_vs_apple_iphone_4.html, I have not seen the Galaxy Ace yet but the wife has Samsung Galaxy S and that is pretty cool too.

I got the Galaxy S2 about 2 weeks ago, brilliant phone with 4" screen and 8mp camera.

As for battery life, make sure you've not got any fancy 'live' wallpapers displayed.  They really drain the battery.  They are nice though  ;D
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #64: Sep 09, 2011 01:15:51 pm

It does eat up battery.

I'm quite ok with my wildfire. Ofcourse you won't get a very quick phone for this range but it is still pretty good. Haven't used Sensation but it should be good.

I got the Galaxy S2 about 2 weeks ago, brilliant phone with 4" screen and 8mp camera.

As for battery life, make sure you've not got any fancy 'live' wallpapers displayed.  They really drain the battery.  They are nice though  ;D

S2 is an excellent piece. Very smooth and fast. The battery isn't as good, as you pointed out, but I still loved it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #65: Sep 09, 2011 01:54:47 pm

How? As I said surely it is only the signal strength and thus the speed of data transfer. Or am I missing something?
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #66: Sep 09, 2011 03:00:48 pm
      How? As I said surely it is only the signal strength and thus the speed of data transfer. Or am I missing something?

I don't know exactly. And neither do many people if you google it. But I know it practically that it comparatively uses more battery. Try switching off 3g for a day or two and you'll see the difference.

Don't know the technicality behind it though.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #67: Sep 10, 2011 01:03:43 am
      Regarding the galaxy ace, the battery life is very good in regards to switching off most internet sources, bluetooth, wifi, gps and background data however when using the web browser, it tends to just go down a % or two even if used for a minute, so its all about how you use your phone, you need to be aware of your battery and what drains it.

Today my phone has been on for 16hours and 30minutes, and is still on 65% because in school i do not use the internet maybe, 2-4 times a day, however i do text consistently and listen to music but that does not drain much battery, normally after coming home from 6-8 hours of school my battery is still on 90%.

I really do enjoy the phone however it is an annoyance to have such a great phone but not be able to use the full features without draining battery, but nevertheless very happy with the phone.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #68: Sep 11, 2011 11:27:40 am
      I don't know exactly. And neither do many people if you google it. But I know it practically that it comparatively uses more battery. Try switching off 3g for a day or two and you'll see the difference.

Don't know the technicality behind it though.

I have an iPhone, so don't really have an issue with the battery unless I am in work.

And that is because O2 is sh*te, and the phone is consistently looking for a signal which drains my battery.

Quick Reply