Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Anyone a runner/jogger here........ and had dog trouble?

Read 4652 times
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Anyone a runner/jogger here........ and had dog trouble?
      Jul 28, 2011 10:24:14 am
      I will explain.  Runner/jogger out for a turn on well used sports field area, being chased/bitten/harrassed by dogs off the lead.

Happened to me yesterday.  I was out for a run on the field, approaching 4-5 dogs and a seemingly disinterested owner (eating their lunch), one of the dogs ran at me growling and barking.  So I stopped running.  Not sure what breed it was, but about labrador size and looked not very friendly.

After a pathetic call to the dog from the owner, I tried to re-start my run, upon which one of the other dogs also moved towards me barking, so I stopped again and waited for the owner to do something.  After another really feeble attempt to control her dogs, I said 'should these not be on a lead?'.  She replied 'they're not dangerous', so I said 'well I don't know that.'  Her reply was 'they're only barking.'  At this point, the dogs had moved away, so I just carried on.  A little annoying though and I had her 'only barking' comment in my mind for the rest of the day - as she clearly chose to ignore or did not see the growling and the dog that came after me forcing me to stop.

So no biting (strangely, a jack russel did have a go at my ankle only minutes before - the owner was full of apologies and seemed then to take the dog away) this time, but a bit annoying.  Anyone had anything similar happen?

Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Re: Anyone a runner/jogger here........ and had dog trouble?
      Reply #1: Jul 28, 2011 10:55:37 am
      lmao. made me laugh that
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Jul 28, 2011 01:50:48 pm
      I will explain.  Runner/jogger out for a turn on well used sports field area, being chased/bitten/harrassed by dogs off the lead.

Happened to me yesterday.  I was out for a run on the field, approaching 4-5 dogs and a seemingly disinterested owner (eating their lunch), one of the dogs ran at me growling and barking.  So I stopped running.  Not sure what breed it was, but about labrador size and looked not very friendly.

After a pathetic call to the dog from the owner, I tried to re-start my run, upon which one of the other dogs also moved towards me barking, so I stopped again and waited for the owner to do something.  After another really feeble attempt to control her dogs, I said 'should these not be on a lead?'.  She replied 'they're not dangerous', so I said 'well I don't know that.'  Her reply was 'they're only barking.'  At this point, the dogs had moved away, so I just carried on.  A little annoying though and I had her 'only barking' comment in my mind for the rest of the day - as she clearly chose to ignore or did not see the growling and the dog that came after me forcing me to stop.

So no biting (strangely, a jack russel did have a go at my ankle only minutes before - the owner was full of apologies and seemed then to take the dog away) this time, but a bit annoying.  Anyone had anything similar happen?

Walk. Don't run until you are past the dogs. They always chase runners. It's a game to them.
      Other than that there is not much you can do. Barring you run after the dog or give the Jack Russell a kick.
      Big dogs are a lot harder to bring down and I'd be hesitant to tell you on-line for fear you got it wrong.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Jul 28, 2011 01:53:57 pm
      Make it a game yourself... outrun the dogs ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Jul 28, 2011 01:55:08 pm
      Make it a game yourself... outrun the dogs ;)

Would certainly get him fit in no time... or bitten. :laugh:
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #5: Jul 28, 2011 01:55:39 pm
      Never had a problem with dogs once.

Funny story happened with my dog, I took my dog for a walk, and there was this game of football happening on the field and my dog decided it wanted to play football. So it chased the ball and the dog stole the football and just ran off :laugh:

My dog was electric and no one could catch her, we did finally catch her and she popped the ball :lmao: - oops!

But generally its best to just walk when you go past dogs, especially one's that aren't on a lead.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #6: Jul 28, 2011 02:00:01 pm

Funny story happened with my dog, I took my dog for a walk, and there was this game of football happening on the field and my dog decided it wanted to play football. So it chased the ball and the dog stole the football and just ran off :laugh:

My dog was electric and no one could catch her, we did finally catch her and she popped the ball :lmao: - oops!

But generally its best to just walk when you go past dogs, especially one's that aren't on a lead.
      A electric dog, must have had a very long lead!  :f_whistle:
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Jul 28, 2011 02:05:13 pm
      A electric dog, must have had a very long lead!  :f_whistle:

The lead was invisible. Didn't exist :laugh:

I think my dog must have drank red bull before hand, would have stormed the 100 meters :laugh:
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #8: Jul 28, 2011 04:38:55 pm
      Walk. Don't run until you are past the dogs. They always chase runners. It's a game to them.
      Other than that there is not much you can do. Barring you run after the dog or give the Jack Russell a kick.
      Big dogs are a lot harder to bring down and I'd be hesitant to tell you on-line for fear you got it wrong.

The thing I didn't mention, I'd already run past them once with no reaction, so I assumed a second time would be a piece of cake.  It's not the dogs so much, it's the owners lack of concern for what the dogs are doing.  A 'sorry' would have been nice, but as she did only gave the dog a pathetic call that's when I asked if they should be on a lead.

Where is Cesar Milan when you need him?  ;D  That owner is not a pack leader.

I do like the thought of a dog running on electricity  :lmao:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Jul 28, 2011 04:50:26 pm

Not even when the batteries went low? boom boom
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #10: Jul 28, 2011 06:16:06 pm
      I find the owners get offended when I boot the dog in the chops, I also find it makes the dog stop chasing you.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,445 posts | 6432 
      Reply #11: Jul 28, 2011 09:03:12 pm
      If a dog's tail is wagging, it is usually of no danger to you. So if barking and wagging, just keep running, you'll be fine. If the dog is barking and the tail is not wagging, hair on it's back standing up, ears pushed back...you are in trouble. If that happens, stand your ground, don't run from the dog, walk towards it and growl back, yell, bark whatever. Show it you aren't afraid and usually it will lose interest. If none of that works....then find out how fast you are and take off!!

I've had encounters with Pit Bulls but luckily they ended without incident.

I find the owners get offended when I boot the dog in the chops, I also find it makes the dog stop chasing you.

Do that to a German Shepherd or similar and you'll pull back a bloody stump :D
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #12: Jul 28, 2011 09:49:21 pm
      If a dog's tail is wagging, it is usually of no danger to you. So if barking and wagging, just keep running, you'll be fine. If the dog is barking and the tail is not wagging, hair on it's back standing up, ears pushed back...you are in trouble. If that happens, stand your ground, don't run from the dog, walk towards it and growl back, yell, bark whatever. Show it you aren't afraid and usually it will lose interest. If none of that works....then find out how fast you are and take off!!

Ouch, to the pit bulls.  That could have been nasty.

The first one that ran up to me, was not playing and it's tail was not wagging which is why I stopped and is why I was annoyed with the owner.  I stood at it sideways on and didn't move - just as Mr Milan does on his show ;D

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Jul 28, 2011 09:54:23 pm
      The fact that you're a squirrel doesn't help
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Jul 28, 2011 09:59:14 pm
      Not even when the batteries went low? boom boom

:laugh:

I better not get a visit from the RSPCA when someone files a report about me running my dog on electricity :)
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #15: Jul 28, 2011 10:06:57 pm

It could be that, running in an animal suit is a bit bizarre really.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #16: Jul 28, 2011 10:13:19 pm
      If a dog's tail is wagging, it is usually of no danger to you. So if barking and wagging, just keep running, you'll be fine. If the dog is barking and the tail is not wagging, hair on it's back standing up, ears pushed back...you are in trouble. If that happens, stand your ground, don't run from the dog, walk towards it and growl back, yell, bark whatever. Show it you aren't afraid and usually it will lose interest. If none of that works....then find out how fast
      you are and take off!!

Wow, never have I read something that is so wrong ho ho have you owned a dog especially German shepherds? A dog ESP a German shepherd will not be threatening you with ears laid flat. Ears laid flat on a German shepherd show submission or fear. Granted if you backing it into a corner and it's ears are back it may bite out of fear but I doubt this would happen when jogging in the park.

As for approaching a dog that is trying to or may attack do it whilst ( if possible holding something " anything " ) in front of you. We used to hold courses for milkmen ( yeah I know sounds funny ) but the technique we taught them was to walk quickly at the dog holding the bottles of milk at arms length aiming at he dogs head and the dog will back down.

As for losing a leg very few dogs will try to fight to he death unless trained you can't outrun them and a quick boot ( in self defence obviously ) should do he job.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Jul 28, 2011 10:23:53 pm

:lmao: :lmao:
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #18: Jul 28, 2011 11:18:15 pm
      As for approaching a dog that is trying to or may attack do it whilst ( if possible holding something " anything " ) in front of you. We used to hold corpses for milkmen ( yeah I know sounds funny )
      That was what I read first time. It wasn't until I got to the "yeah I know it sounds funny bit" that I thought WTF  :laugh:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,445 posts | 6432 
      Reply #19: Jul 28, 2011 11:29:33 pm
      Wow, never have I read something that is so wrong ho ho have you owned a dog especially German shepherds? A dog ESP a German shepherd will not be threatening you with ears laid flat. Ears laid flat on a German shepherd show submission or fear. Granted if you backing it into a corner and it's ears are back it may bite out of fear but I doubt this would happen when jogging in the park.

As for approaching a dog that is trying to or may attack do it whilst ( if possible holding something " anything " ) in front of you. We used to hold courses for milkmen ( yeah I know sounds funny ) but the technique we taught them was to walk quickly at the dog holding the bottles of milk at arms length aiming at he dogs head and the dog will back down.

As for losing a leg very few dogs will try to fight to he death unless trained you can't outrun them and a quick boot ( in self defence obviously ) should do he job.

Yea you are right, what do I know...I only have a friend who is a Sergeant with the K-9 unit.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Jul 28, 2011 11:31:17 pm
      As he said. . . Unless the dog is trained. Police dog = Trained
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #21: Jul 29, 2011 01:21:22 pm
      Try a different aftershave!

Eau De Sausage doesnt seem to be helping
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Jul 29, 2011 01:26:20 pm
      How'd you know what aftershave the squirrel uses? Is there something you need to tell us :laugh:

Quick Reply