Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Arsenal FC

Read 188323 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Talk Arsenal FC
      Reply #69: Aug 10, 2011 01:57:41 am
      Ridicolous by Arsene!

Every man and his dog knows he needs to sort out his defense and the GK situation yet he flogs 15 million on a youth prospect from League One. I would be fuming if I was an Arsenal fan.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #70: Aug 10, 2011 01:58:53 am
      Ryo Miyaichi really impressed me. Hope to see him take the Premier League by storm actually, except when against us.

Yeah, I don't understand why Arsene doesn't sign defenders. He even brought in Squillaci and Koscielny last season. Koscielny is not too bad but they still need better ones. Haven't really replaced Clichy either, have they? Only Gibbs as LB?
      absolutevalueofa
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #71: Aug 10, 2011 07:44:05 pm
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #72: Aug 11, 2011 02:22:47 am
      If Wenger had spent a bit more at vital times for important positions he could have easily guided Arsenal to 2-4 titles in the last 5-6 years because let's face it, he doesn't buy properly and yet he gets Arsenal up there near the top most seasons and into the Champions League with ease.

If they spend the Cesc money sensibly I think they can be up there again although I feel we have made enough up to overtake them this year.

Gervinho will be absolutely sensational for them though, he's a fantastic player and for the price he went for, I was gutted we didn't make a move for him.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #73: Aug 11, 2011 06:07:20 pm
      Wenger in Kicker today: no interest in Mertesacker. "We have four central defenders, no need for another one"

chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #74: Aug 11, 2011 09:19:43 pm
      Unless they have one or two very good replacements for Fabregas they wont be getting top 4 finish IMO.

Even if they get the extra few quid they are holding out for they have very little time left to spend it unless they have player/players lined up already.

Wouldnt be suprised if Wenger gets sacked this season
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #75: Aug 11, 2011 10:10:16 pm
      I'd imagine that they are holding out so long on selling Nasri and Fab because they needed to find their replacements and I'm sure they have them lined up.

Still, they need to do something defensively and it doesn't sound like they're going to.
      absolutevalueofa
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #76: Aug 12, 2011 12:35:56 am
      What the FCK is Wenger thinking ?!
      Selling his 2 best players only a couple of days before the season starts is ridiculous even by his own standards...
      Arsenal have said the money will be invested in new signings though, and if they manage to sign a top CB and a decent forward then they might be back somewhere close to where they were... Gervinho is a good player but nowhere near as good as Nasri or Fabregas..

Good news for us and Tottenham for now... Hope they cant get anyone in before the window closes
      absolutevalueofa
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #77: Aug 12, 2011 01:30:02 am
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14482418.stm
      Losing your 2 best players a few days before the start of the season... NOT COOL ARSENE !

Good news for both us and Tottenham and any other team hoping for a top4 spot...

That said, they still have plenty of talent and if reports from Arsenal officials are to be believed then they already have a few players lined up and are going to re-invest all the returns (at least from the Cesc deal) on new signings...

Goalkeepers:

* 1   Manuel Almunia
         * 13 Wojciech Szczesny
         * 21 Lukasz Fabianski
         * 24 Vito Mannone

None of them is a top goalkeeper. However, Szczesny did well last season imo and given his age he might very well turn out to be a top goalkeeper given experience and the top coaching he'll receive at Arsenal...

Defenders:

* 3 Bacary Sagna
         * 5 Thomas Vermaelen
         * 6 Laurent Koscielny

* 18 Sebastien Squillaci
         * 20 Johan Djourou
         * 25 Carl Jenkinson
         * 28 Kieran Gibbs
         * 27 Emanuel Eboue
         * 30 Armand Traore

At the back is where they really struggle imo.. Like us, they lack a commanding presence in the air, and to make matters worse they also lack any sort of leadership and organization given the personnel.. Kieran Gibbs is a big gamble from Arsene imo and from the little I've seen of him he seems a downgrade from Clichy rather than an upgrade.. Decent on the ball but remains defensively suspect.. Varmaelen is a decent CB who (very much like Agger) seems rather susceptible to injuries. If they can get a Samba or Shawcross to partner him then they might be on to something..

Midfielders:

* 2 Abou Diaby
         * 7 Tomas Rosicky
         * 16 Aaron Ramsey
         * 17 Alex Song
         * 19 Jack Wilshere
         * 23 Andrey Arshavin

* 35 Emmanuel Frimpong
         * 14 Theo Walcott
         * Gervinho

* Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Even without Fabregas and Nasri, they have decent options down the middle.. That said, they lack cover for Song, and I think they might very well decide to invest in yet another attacking midfielder to try and compensate for the loss of Nasri... Imo, the loss of Nasri rather than Fabregas will affect them the most. With Wilshere set to run the show for them down the middle, they seem to need another player with flair who is perhaps less direct than Gervinho and Arshavin to help them maintain their style of play.. The other option would be to push Wilshere a little higher up but that imo would leave Diabi/Rosicky having to play in a deeper role which neither seems to favor or be particularly good at..

Forwards:

* 10 Robin van Persie

* 11 Carlos Vela
         * 29 Marouane Chamakh
         * 52 Nicklas Bendtner

While Van Persie is an excellent forward, the other options they have for the lone striker role are either not good enough (Bendtner, Vela- not yet anyways) or dont match their style of play (Chamakh).. They have the numbers, but could do better in the psition imo...

Strongest lineup:

Szczesny

Sagna          Koscieny(???)         Varmaelen          Gibbs (???)

Song                    Wilshere

Walcott                 Gervinho                  Arshavin

Van Persie
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #78: Aug 12, 2011 04:12:28 am
      Looks like Bendtner and Eboue are also on their way ouy.

Can't imagine being an Arsenal fan at the moment. Must dread reading the news everyday.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #79: Aug 12, 2011 04:35:05 am
      Frankly they need a new manager.  Wenger has done his job they've built the stadium and apparently virtually paid for it.  It is now time to spend money but he refuses to spend it and continues in his stubborn ways, simply because of being afraid to make expensive mistakes. 

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #80: Aug 12, 2011 04:52:23 am
      Yeah.

At the end of the day, Arsenal fans might ask "Are we supporting a football club, or a business?"
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #81: Aug 12, 2011 05:06:52 am
      Why Scott Dann can be the answer to Arsenal's defensive problems

By James Nursey in Football Spy - Published 23:05 11/08/11

Scott Dann may just have come to many Arsenal fans' attention in the last few weeks but the classy defender has long been considered a star of the future in the Midlands.

Now that may not be saying much, but being based in Birmingham, I've witnessed Dann's reputation deservedly grow around these parts since first establishing himself in the Walsall team back in 2006-07 in League Two.

The quiet Scouser only made 52 first team starts for the Saddlers before he was snapped up by Coventry in 2008 for a fee of around ÂŁ1million.

The Sky Blues, whose chairman was then Ray Ranson, a former professional football himself, always considered Dann an investment which would handsomely pay off eventually.

Now the board at cash-strapped Championship Coventry are anxiously awaiting Dann's imminent transfer after wisely insisting on a sell-on clause when he moved to Birmingham for ÂŁ3.5m two summers ago.

Dann has quite simply been a huge success at Birmingham in the Premier League where he was virtually an ever-present as the club came ninth in 2009-10.

And if he had been at a more glamorous, London club, Dann would surely have got international recognition with England by now.

For while Dann is a very quiet softly-spoken character off the pitch, he is tenacious, determined and classy on the pitch.

It is no coincidence Brum's slump down the Premier League, which ended in relegation, coincided with Dann's serious injury at West Ham in January which split up his fine partnership with Roger Johnson.

Dann, 24, has not played a competitive game since rupturing his hamstring at Upton Park which required surgery.

But signing him would not be a gamble by any top-flight club after he matured at St Andrews under the tutelage of boss Alex McLeish, an ex-defender himself.

And potential suitors like Arsenal and Liverpool (and I've personally heard he is off to the Emirates) could get a bargain due to Birmingham's cash problems.

I wrote back on June 28 that City's Carling Cup winning-team would be totally ripped up due to Birmingham's financial problems following relegation.

Now Brum's cash woes, exacerbated by owner Carson Yeung's arrest on money-laundering charges in Hong Kong, are hitting home with just six of City's team and subs from Wembley left at the club and that number will decrease further before the window shuts.

Dann had the chance to go to Stoke back in June but the Potters, despite agreeing a fee, were unable to finalise personal terms with the defender, who asked for ÂŁ35,000-a-week.

Dann did not rush into signing for Stoke as he had confidence in ability that other better offers would come in.

Now his ambitions are set to be rewarded with a move to a much bigger club like Arsenal as I reported on Saturday after hearing Brum's bank HSBC had demanded his sale .

I don't think he will look out of place at Arsenal either and back Dann to rise to the challenge.

He is comfortable on either foot, good in the air and distributes the ball well.

I think him and Thomas Vermaelen would make a formidable, mobile partnership and wish him all the best back in the Premier League.

Cheers Scott!

MirrorFootball

We should buy him I thought. He'd be a big help for our back line. Why do we hesitate?
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #82: Aug 12, 2011 05:13:47 am
      I think Arsenal would have massive problems if they let Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas go, especially if both together.

Imagine letting them go and then not being able to replace them quickly enough. How much longer before Robin van Persie, Aaron Ramsey and even Thomas Vermalen decide to move on?
      No worries mate! Just give 'em to us and we'll let them have Cole and Poulsen.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #83: Aug 12, 2011 05:27:24 am
      Wenger eyes Shakhtar star

Published 23:01 11/08/11 By John Cross

Arsene Wenger's job is on the line for the first time in 15 years as Arsenal manager.

Wenger has endured a summer of discontent, with Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri both heading for the exit door after long and ugly transfer sagas.

That has left Wenger facing a major rebuilding job - and it is the strength of Arsenal’s eventual reinforcements that will decide the Frenchman’s fate.

The Gunners has until now been untouchable because of the unprecedented success he brought in the past, but this summer’s dealings in the transfer window will make or break him.

Wenger has targeted Juan Mata of Valencia and Shakhtar Donetsk’s Brazilian ace Jadson to replace Fabregas and Nasri in midfield.

But as well as fancy-dan midfielders, he desperately needs to install some backbone into his defence with one - and possibly two - new centre-halves.

After months of frustration chasing Phil Jagielka of Everton and Bolton's Gary Cahill, Wenger is also looking at Werder Bremen’s Per Mertesacker and Scott Dann of Birmingham.

The question now is whether those reinforcements will not only strengthen Arsenal but also appease the fans.

That is the challenge for Wenger, who is under pressure this season to deliver some silverware after six barren years.

If Arsenal bank around ÂŁ60million from the combined sales of Nasri and Fabregas, the pressure on Wenger to go out and spend big will be greater than ever.

Fabregas, 24, is already established as a world class talent, having been part of Spain’s World Cup-winning team last summer.

But Fabregas’ determination to join his boyhood heroes Barcelona has left Arsenal with little option but to let an unhappy player leave to stop him from unsettling the rest of the dressing room.

France midfielder Nasri has also come to the fore in the past 12 months and his form last season has suddenly made him one of the most sought-after midfielders in Europe.

Manchester City appear to have won the race for his services, but Manchester United and Inter Milan were also keen.

Despite Wenger’s early defiance in saying that Nasri would not be sold, Arsenal had to take a finance-based decision and sell him now for £22m rather than lose him for free when his contract expires next summer.

Or, to look it another way, end up paying close to ÂŁ25m - once you take into account wages and lost transfer fee - for him to stay for one more year.

That made no financial sense to the board, even if Wenger’s insistence that Arsenal “could no longer be called a big club” if they sold both men will now leave the Gunners boss with egg on his face.

The U-turn on Nasri came after a board meeting last Thursday.

But the problem for Wenger is bringing in players of a similar calibre, to stop the Arsenal fans concluding that the club no longer has big ambitions.

Mata is regarded as one of the biggest prospects in Europe.

The Spain international is capable of playing wide, in midfield or as a support striker.

His price is likely to be in excess of ÂŁ20m, but he comes with a big reputation which is likely to appeal to Arsenal fans.

Jadson, 27, was in London on Thursday for talks.

He may also appeal as he is a Brazil international and was man of the match as Shakhtar won the 2009 UEFA Cup Final.

Wenger has already brought in Gervinho and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain this summer, but the fans are crying out for a centre-half.

England international Cahill has been near the top of Arsenal's hit-list all summer but they have baulked at the ÂŁ17m asking price and a player-plus-cash deal has also failed to land him.

Arsenal have had two bids knocked back for Jagielka.

Wenger likes German international Mertesacker, who is keen to come and is available, but the Gunners boss is now also considering Dann, even though the 24-year-old was way down their list a few weeks ago.

It shows that Wenger has become frustrated with the search for new defenders - but also realises that reinforcements are needed.

Meanwhile, Arsenal’s Mexican forward Carlos Vela is set to go out on loan again this season, with Spain's Real Sociedad leading the chase.

Another Spanish side, Real Zaragoza, are also keen but Vela is not keen on their boss, former Mexico coach Javier Aguirre.

MirrorFootball
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #84: Aug 12, 2011 07:47:29 am
      If Dann is off to the Emirates, it probably means Cahill is off to Anfield ;D

Fabregas, Nasri out of Arsenal squad
      Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri have been left out of Arsenal's squad for their Barclays Premier League opener against Newcastle on Saturday.
      The pair have been strongly linked with a move out of the Emirates, with Fabregas set to complete his long-awaited move back to Barcelona while Nasri is reportedly close to a Manchester City switch.

Despite the intense speculation this summer, the club - together with the fans - has continually held on to the hope of keeping the two star players.

However, Wenger revealed at his Friday press conference that both Fabregas and Nasri were out of his squad for Saturday's trip to Newcastle - further shrouding Fabregas' and Nasri's futures in doubt.

Despite the star duo's absence from Arsenal's squad, Wenger, who was quoted earlier this week as saying he wanted a quick resolution to the transfer sagas, remained adamant that nobody would be leaving the Emirates.

"I expect nobody to leave," he said at the club's training ground.

"The best thing for us one day before the championship starts is to focus on possible transfers.

"At the moment there is no news. If there is news I promise I will give it. I will decide what's best for the club.

"My personal feelings are not important. What is important is the club and how well we do.

"I have not been disappointed with their attitudes. They are professionals. I take nothing personally.

"The transfer speculation is disruptive but that is not an excuse."

Meanwhile, the Gunners boss has rejected the possibility of signing Werder Bremen's Per Mertesacker, insisting the club does not need anymore defenders.

"We currently have four central defenders, and thus we do not need any more," Wenger told Kicker.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item654797/Fabregas,-Nasri-out-of-Arsenal-squad/

So no one going out and no one coming in?
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2011 10:23:23 am by Adryan »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #85: Aug 12, 2011 01:25:18 pm
      GuillemBalague Guillem Balague
      Done. Cesc will travel to Madrid with the side. Good luck to him. For Arsenal a new era starts

barcastuff barcastuff
      The last details of Cesc's transfer are at this moment being discussed between vice-president Bartomeu and Arsenal representatives. [rac1]

barcastuff barcastuff
      Barcelona sources confirm that Cesc will stay in London today and will travel to Barcelona this weekend. [md]

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2011 02:31:10 pm by racerx34 »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #86: Aug 12, 2011 03:00:21 pm
      barcastuff barcastuff
      Arsenal could delay the deal on the transfer of Cesc Fabregas (24) to Barcelona because the news was leaked too soon. [@guillembalague]
      4 minutes ago
      Âť

Marcotti Gabriele Marcotti
      According to @mundodeportivo Arsenal have NOT accepted Barca's offer for Cesc. Still in London (grazie @mforok )
      5 minutes ago

GuillemBalague Guillem Balague
      On Sky Sports News soon to have a go at Barcelona. I understand why Arsenal fans might be upset...
      30 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #87: Aug 13, 2011 03:59:34 am
      Wenger rules out buying Juan Mata

Published 22:59 12/08/11 By Darren Lewis

He spoke like a cross between Comical Ali and the captain of the Titanic.

Eyebrows rose and fell like a Mexican wave among those watching Arsene Wenger declare – 24 hours after conceding the ­opposite – that he was not expecting either Cesc Fabregas or Samir Nasri to leave Arsenal.

A negotiating position it may have been, but it added to the growing feeling that the Gunners' manager had become football’s answer to King Canute – a man desperately trying to stop the inevitable.

It also fuelled the growing feeling that the Frenchman is cracking under the combined pressure of trying to hold on to his stars, keeping disgruntled fans on side and maintaining the players’ belief in his vision.

Nonetheless, he decreed he would not allow his side to use the club’s chaotic summer as an excuse for failing to impress against Newcastle in their season opener.

“It does not stop any of our players from making a good pass once you are on the pitch," said Wenger.

“When you are on the pitch, you play to win. I have seen much more difficult ­circumstances – people who lost their parents and are playing the next day and being the best man on the pitch.

"You cannot say you are a top player and yet be disturbed because there is a transfer market happening. It’s a joke.”

Many Arsenal fans do not share the ‘joke’, with many of the issues facing the club at the end of last season still unresolved with the Premier League about to return.

Despite the world and his wife being well aware that Fabregas has no intention of staying, Wenger admitted he has not yet considered who would be Arsenal's new captain.

And despite the demand for a highly-rated, experienced replacement for the Spaniard, Wenger ruled out the signing of Valencia winger Juan Mata.

He said: “We will not do [a deal for] Juan Mata. I don’t have to give a reason, we will not do it.”

Although fans are clamouring for a new centre-half, Wenger hinted the closest they may get is the return to fitness of Thomas Vermaelen.

“We will have a new centre-back by the end of the transfer window - because Vermaelen only played five games last year," he said.

“To buy just for the sake of buying, you won’t find me there. If I’m convinced the player has the ­qualities, I will always do it if he’s better than the players we have.

“We have specialised people to work everywhere. Everybody looks for centre-backs in the whole world. People with unlimited resources look for a centre-back.

"We are not in a supermarket where you go to a shelf and you ask 'Where are the centre-backs or the strikers?'”

Supporters waiting for more experience to be added elsewhere in the side are unlikely to be pleased.

“We have two markets: one is internal and one is external,” said Wenger. “Internal is the young players that we have - players who are inside the club are very important.

“Externally, if I’m convinced a player brings some extra qualities to the squad, we will always buy him - maybe even overpay a little bit.

“But to pay three or four times the price, you must really be convinced that this is the player you need.

"At the moment, we have not found that player.”

MirrorFootball

They leave their top midfielders behind and ain't got any replacement yet. Does Wenger know what he's doing there or we get it wrong here?

They don't look to buy any experienced player I presume.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #88: Aug 13, 2011 04:09:56 am
      Arsenal snap up striker Campbell

Published 20:38 12/08/11 By MirrorFootball

Arsenal have agreed terms with Costa Rican side Deportivo Saprissa to sign teenage striker Joel Campbell.

The 19-year-old was in his country's squad for the recent Copa America and the Under-20 World Cup.

The Gunners revealed tonight that the transfer is subject to the completion of 'formal agreements and processes'.

Manager Arsene Wenger told his club's official website, www.arsenal.com: "Joel Campbell has already shown that he is a player with great ability, and has also performed well on the international stage at a young age.

"We look forward to the formalities of the transfer being completed and working with Joel when he joins us at Arsenal."

Campbell is predominantly left-footed and has made six full international appearances, scoring twice.

He scored on his debut in a 5-0 win over Cuba at this year's CONCACAF Gold Cup, helping his side to the competition's quarter-finals.

Campbell has had two seasons in his native Primera Division, where he played for Deportivo Saprissa and on loan at Puntarenas, making a total of eight league appearances.

MirrorFootball

He could be a great backup for our front line if we wanted any replacement for Ngog.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #89: Aug 13, 2011 08:59:26 am
      Still buying attackers. I don't understand him.

I wish there was a betting market on what position Arsene Wenger would buy for the most. Attack would be 1/10.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #90: Aug 13, 2011 01:14:34 pm

Pep waits on Cesc arrival
      Coach says prospects of signing Arsenal captain are 'good'

Last Updated: August 13, 2011 12:28pm

Pep Guardiola admits Barcelona's prospects of signing Cesc Fabregas are 'good', but acknowledged the midfielder is still an Arsenal player.

Barcelona appeared to be closing in on the protracted capture of Fabregas on Friday after a club spokesman suggested a deal was 'hours away' from being announced.

A deal was expected to be completed over the weekend and that Fabregas would be in attendance for the first leg of Barca's Spanish Super Cup tie against Real Madrid on Sunday.

However, Guardiola is understood to have told Fabregas to delay his flight out to Spain in order to avoid upsetting Arsenal as talks continue over a deal.

Guardiola has now confirmed that the discussions are ongoing and appears optimistic Fabregas will eventually complete his return to Camp Nou.

"He's not here yet," said the Barca coach.

"According to the information we have from club bosses negotiations are very advanced but there is still a document missing to confirm.

"The prospects are good, but he's still an Arsenal player. Otherwise I would confirm it."

Fabregas initially left Barca as a 16-year-old to join the Gunners in 2003 and he has been a mainstay of Arsene Wenger's plans.

He was wanted by his former club last summer, but Arsenal resisted offers for their captain, who was a 2010 World Cup winner with Spain.

However, it now appears that Gunners boss Wenger is ready to relent and allow Fabregas to rejoin Barca after admitting on Thursday that he expected a quick resolution to the matter.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7098215,00.html
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #91: Aug 14, 2011 09:59:24 pm
      Sky Sports are reporting Arsenal have released a statement saying that Cesc Fabregas is joining Barcelona. Didn't see that one coming!!

Quick Reply