Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Arsenal FC

Read 188352 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Arsenal FC
      Reply #1334: Apr 20, 2018 12:25:10 pm
      Pardew would be ideal
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #1335: Apr 20, 2018 01:11:22 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1336: Apr 20, 2018 01:16:08 pm
      Would have liked him to stay, that club is spiralling downhill rapidly.

Whoever takes over has a big job to do there, not a lot of quality in that team anymore.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1337: Apr 20, 2018 01:42:10 pm
      Rafa due a big club...
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1338: Apr 20, 2018 02:00:00 pm
      So is Mourinho  :laugh:
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1339: Apr 20, 2018 02:37:20 pm
      Have a feeling it will be Brendan.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1340: Apr 20, 2018 03:06:42 pm

Indeed. Away from the emotion of the football field and his famous 'blind spots' away from the field he's been nothing but classy off it.

As for who should replace him, tough one. There's not many out there who could handle the size and expectations of that club, not too dissimilar to what we've experienced and what Man Utd are arguably going through at the moment. To be honest the only name that pops up who I think would be great for them is Max Allegri. Would he leave Juventus though?

The talk surrounding Brendan? I can't see it. I think a good couple years more at Celtic would do the world of good for him and he's still got a lot to prove in terms of organising defences and, as Jürgen has now shown with us, the fitness levels required to compete at the level Arsenal want to compete at. On the coaching side and the attacking side Brendan is absolutely superb and would suit Arsenal's ethos of developing youngsters and playing attractive football. But because he hasn't proved his managerial side in terms of defence and fitness (or at least relative to the elite managers) I can't see them going for him.
      « Last Edit: Apr 20, 2018 03:10:57 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #1341: Apr 20, 2018 03:08:46 pm
      Third person I’ve heard say that today  :f_doh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1342: Apr 20, 2018 03:09:35 pm
      Some of us have never known a time when Wenger wasn't the manager of Arsenal.

Nonetheless I hope he gets the send off he deserves. I still believe he raised football in the Premier League to a level that helped English clubs become conquerors of Europe not least Man Utd who would never have risen to the levels required to win the treble in 1999 if it wasn't for Wenger relaying the foundations of English top flight football when Arsenal won the league in 1998. Indeed our own decision to appoint Houllier was in large part influenced by the massive changes seen at Arsenal, Gerard being similar to Arsene in that he hauled this club up to a higher standard than his immediate predecessors.

We've had some great encounters with Arsenal over the years and it has always been the most entertaining of fixtures in that time (my personal favourite being Neil Mellor's last gasp stunner). Let's hope that doesn't change when he leaves.

He'll be missed.

I know to think we properly hated Arsenal under George Graham!! That definitely mellowed under Arsene and with the emergence of the mancs winning the league a lot during the 90s.

For all the arse-kissing of Pep and the way he's got Man City playing, that Arsenal team of Henry, Vieira, Petit et al has to be remembered as one the best footballing teams of modern times.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1343: Apr 20, 2018 03:25:16 pm
      I know to think we properly hated Arsenal under George Graham!! That definitely mellowed under Arsene and with the emergence of the mancs winning the league a lot during the 90s.

For all the arse-kissing of Pep and the way he's got Man City playing, that Arsenal team of Henry, Vieira, Petit et al has to be remembered as one the best footballing teams of modern times.

Yeah - that for me is still the most cultured side I have ever seen in the league. Where there's a falsity about Man City there was fantasy with Arsenal. I'll always remember the despair after the game at Highbury on Good Friday in 2004. Leading 2-1 at half time and thinking 'we've got them on the ropes here', their unbeaten league record hanging by a thread. It was the same week that they got knocked out of the FA Cup and Champions League by Man Utd and Chelsea respectively and on that basis I really fancied us! And then came the second half, they just destroyed us, Henry hat trick included. 4-2 full time. Given that we were fighting for our lives to get back into the Champions League it was a real bummer of a result but one that at the same time underlined the brilliance of that Arsenal side. Such a charismatic and idealistic football team that was.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1344: Apr 20, 2018 03:46:08 pm
      Moyes would have been a good fit, he is good at managing teams around Everton's quality level  :D
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #1345: Apr 20, 2018 04:45:03 pm
      Hope this is where the spiral down for them begins, they get in a manager who throws away money and the fans realise how good of a manager Wenger was.
      Liked Wenger and his philosophy, although he did realise in the end that money do buy you success.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1346: Apr 20, 2018 05:03:21 pm
      Been telling Arsenal and Spurs fans it's going to be Pochettino all day, it's been great fun.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1347: Apr 20, 2018 06:24:04 pm

:lmao: I asked for that one  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1348: Apr 20, 2018 06:26:24 pm

He's no real success as a manager so far.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1349: Apr 20, 2018 07:07:09 pm
      Do we think that's the end of Wenger's career? If England cock up in the summer (again) what are the chances the FA makes a call? Maybe France? Another club even? Maybe he can take Man Utd up on that offer from back in 2001 eh Keith.  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1350: Apr 20, 2018 07:41:41 pm
      Do we think that's the end of Wenger's career? If England cock up in the summer (again) what are the chances the FA makes a call? Maybe France? Another club even? Maybe he can take Man Utd up on that offer from back in 2001 eh Keith.  ;)

Don’t think it’s the end of him but I think it will just continue to get worse for him, the game has out grown him and his ideas. He was too focussed on having the youngest team, that would go on and dominate for a decade, instead of signing what he actually needed. Now when he actually signs the likes of Lacazette and Aubamayang, he’s already lost all respect of his team. He let the Sanchez and Ozil sagas drag on far too long and he just basically fell under player pressure IMO. Comments like he’s not sure if Aubamayang will play at the weekend because he can’t play in the Europa on Thursdays...seriously what’s that all about?

He has been good for Arsenal and he Premier League but he should have stepped aside years ago.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1351: Apr 20, 2018 07:48:18 pm
      Do we think that's the end of Wenger's career? If England cock up in the summer (again) what are the chances the FA makes a call?

I actually think that's not a bad idea for the England job mate. We've had some sh*te managers over the last 40 years. Wenger would certainly be a improvement on them.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #1352: Apr 20, 2018 11:01:28 pm
      Arsenal will be looking for a better manager than either, Pullis or Pardew. Who would send the club spiralling down the table, quicker than ever. Surely they will be looking to appoint a foreign manager, to bring them success.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1353: Apr 20, 2018 11:24:58 pm
      Feel sorry for Wenger, Arsenal started going down hill with Roman's money then City's money coming into the game that is when they started to struggle... Built some great teams, 19 season in a row he gave them CL, and one final has to be a record...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1354: Apr 20, 2018 11:54:03 pm
      Feel sorry for Wenger, Arsenal started going down hill with Roman's money then City's money coming into the game that is when they started to struggle... Built some great teams, 19 season in a row he gave them CL, and one final has to be a record...

Arsenal struggles began after buying young prospects & selling in for huge transfer fees whilst investing into the new Stadia build...

Wenger for all his critics had Arsenal punching obove their weight to be honest... Going to take them a while to recover and get back into a top 4 team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1355: Apr 21, 2018 12:40:17 am
      Arsenal struggles began after buying young prospects & selling in for huge transfer fees whilst investing into the new Stadia build...

Wenger for all his critics had Arsenal punching obove their weight to be honest... Going to take them a while to recover and get back into a top 4 team.

Totally agree with you there Shabs. I think the temptation amongst Wenger's critics is to dismiss his Arsenal career outright from 2006 onwards which doesn't factor in the difficult balancing act in the transfer market that depended upon finding talent at cheap prices all the while keeping Arsenal relatively competitive albeit without trophies.

And for as brilliant a mind as Wenger was, his success was also about incorporating the incredible knowledge of David Dein above him (who was basically a technical director) and the presence of strong characters in the dressing room (which I suppose was a byproduct of Dein's talent spotting). Not many have mentioned just how big a loss Dein was for Arsenal and Wenger. After all it was he who had the foresight to buck the trend and hire Wenger out of nowhere and it was his continental reach that allowed Arsenal to acquire Bergkamp (before Wenger arrived) as well as secure the likes of Henry, Vieira on behalf of Wenger and of course Sol Campbell from the other half of north London! When he left Wenger must have lost a bit of trust and support at the club.
      « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2018 12:49:13 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #1356: Apr 21, 2018 12:43:44 am
      Agree with those saying he should have left some seasons ago he had run his course for me,but bloody hell he was a fantastic manager though and brought over some fantastic players who lit up the premier league
      ,whoever comes in has some pretty big boots to fill,I'll certainly miss seeing him in the dugout.

Quick Reply