18 (17.3%)
      23 (22.1%)
      29 (27.9%)
      3 :roll:
      29 (27.9%)
      4 or more..
      5 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Liverpool FC 2:0 Valencia - Pre, Match & Post game thread.

Read 30305 times
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Valencia - Friendly 6th Aug KO: 17:30
      Reply #368: Aug 06, 2011 08:48:28 pm
      Midfield is a big worry for me. There just seems to be a lack of quality in that position. No real dominance. I know it's early days we haven't even played a league match yet.  Adam looks unfit,overweight and leggy. I hope it's just the hard training he's been doing. Henderson? I don't know. Has he got a defined role? Seems to be no continuity to his game.  The balance in midfield is all wrong.  Suarez will transfom our team i reckon. He'll just drag defenders everywhere which will leave space for others to explot. 
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #369: Aug 06, 2011 09:03:37 pm
      Adam was always looking for the ball and used it well, often creating space.  Ran himself into the ground, near puked on 55 mins so fitness an issue still.   Liked the way he made space for others, quick smart passes and very few Hollywood balls corballyred ;) Aquilani was shocking, I worry he is a flat track bully - could be great to help us unlock weaker teams but not if they get at him.

Is Raul injured?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #370: Aug 06, 2011 09:08:47 pm
      Much, much better today, was nice to see Kelly improving on earlier games this pre-season. Still a little shakey early on but by the end of the game was playing really well, thought Agger was immense, looked a class apart from any other defender on show in more ways than one. Carroll had his best performance for me, looked almost quick at stages and always hungry for it, nice to see that from our big man and long may it continue, plus although many had a go about his finish I thought he did well on his wrong foot and fair play he did finish the chance.

Aurelio and Downing are a lethal combination, considering this was the first time they'd played together it looked like they'd been there for years, Downing looks a sterling buy for that price, tracks back too and for me was our best player. Lucas looked like he'd never been away and when Kuyt came on he certainly added something on the right.

Negatives for me were the amount of long game we played, far too much to play to the strenghts of Aquilani and Adam. I thought Aquilani played alright given the service he was given and despite being tireless, little Jay looked a little bit weak in the middle. Adam could of produced a lot more given the time on the ball he had, expect him to step it up quite a bit from that and Jordan was our weakest player for me, granted in a position I don't see him as a natural for, but more worringly perhaps the position he might occupy when he does play. Thought Carra didn't look too settled either despite their lack of opportunites and would love us to sign someone to get Carra as back-up as I think the time where he has to step down is fast approaching.

Overall though a really good performance and very encouraging, let's just hope all the lads come back safe and sound from this stupid international game.
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #371: Aug 06, 2011 09:12:55 pm
      henderson is only young he will improve as will charlie adam very impressed with downing lucas did well when he came on good reslt against decent side
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #372: Aug 06, 2011 09:24:33 pm
      I haven't seen him do it in 2 seasons, his legs are gone and when he is closed down quickly he hoofs it every F***ing time, watch him in the next match. Of course stand off him and he can keep it short

I thought he did it pretty well in the second half of last season as long as Suarez was playing, but yeah, his first instinct is to hoof.
      Adam was always looking for the ball and used it well, often creating space.  Ran himself into the ground, near puked on 55 mins so fitness an issue still.   Liked the way he made space for others, quick smart passes and very few Hollywood balls corballyred ;) Aquilani was shocking, I worry he is a flat track bully - could be great to help us unlock weaker teams but not if they get at him.

Is Raul injured?

Really?

I thought he was well off the pace, and pretty poor for the most part - had the odd good moment, but that was it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #373: Aug 06, 2011 09:27:39 pm
      So did I KiK i actually thought Spearing was easily the best centre midfielder on show for us in the first half
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #374: Aug 06, 2011 09:30:04 pm
      So did I KiK I actually thought Spearing was easily the best centre midfielder on show for us in the first half

Had a brilliant game. Still give my MOTM to Downing though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #375: Aug 06, 2011 09:33:34 pm
      I think a few are being a little harsh on Adam, he had to fight for what little possession he got and while he didn't always make the best use of it, did ok.

True.

He impressed me the least out of all the midfielders on show, but I'm not going to pile in and write the lad off as many others no doubt will.

When we were initially linked I did suggest that I saw him as a squad player.  Still can't see him as a first XI starter with everyone fit, but I'm sure he will be determined to ensure he is.

He may have done better in the first half with Lucas alongside him as opposed to Spearing.  After all the goals we have been conceding there is no doubt that he had to operate more defensively today than his role in the Blackpool side.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #376: Aug 06, 2011 09:36:52 pm
      Ha.

Ye pessimistic of little faith.

I salute you the other 17 who predicted a clean sheet.

Bring on 2011/2012.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #377: Aug 06, 2011 09:39:52 pm
      He may have done better in the first half with Lucas alongside him as opposed to Spearing.  After all the goals we have been conceding there is no doubt that he had to operate more defensively today than his role in the Blackpool side.

I think he's a liability in defense as well - he certainly doesn't pick up runners or defend very well. At least so far.

Look, I want him to do well because that would mean we do well, I just can't see it happening.

I think that he'll have the odd good game for us, but in general he'll be more of a squad player - unless he can be coached to improve, but at 25 it may be a bit late.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #378: Aug 06, 2011 09:41:52 pm
       Must have been watchign a different game to me some of you lads. Adam did fine, no worries about him at all.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #379: Aug 06, 2011 09:43:44 pm
      So did I KiK i actually thought Spearing was easily the best centre midfielder on show for us in the first half

You know exactly what you're going to get with Jay - what he lacks in quality he makes up for in other ways. He's a really hard worker, always hussling, but he needs to add a bit more quality.
      Having said that, he's had half a season getting a run of games in the first team, so I expect him to learn and improve as he keeps getting games.
      Must have been watchign a different game to me some of you lads. Adam did fine, no worries about him at all.

Wouldn't be the first time.

You slate Lucas all the time, but then think that display was OK?

Unbelievable, but about what I expect in terms of your myopic xenophobia.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #380: Aug 06, 2011 09:45:04 pm
      Thought Downing played very well today,Him and Lucas stood out for me,more important a clean sheet. :clap:

Cant wait to see the team sheet next week and looking forward to stuffing the cats 5-0. :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #381: Aug 06, 2011 09:46:18 pm
      Thought Carroll looked extremely fit today and actually thought when we did manage to keep it on the ground he was at his most impressive.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #382: Aug 06, 2011 09:47:33 pm
      Thought Downing played very well today,Him and Lucas stood out for me,more important a clean sheet. :clap:

Cant wait to see the team sheet next week and looking forward to stuffing the cats 5-0. :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:

Downing was good alright - my MOTM.

Lucas showed just how much quality he has when he came on - we really do look a different team with him patrolling the centre and mopping up/breaking up the opposition, plus the lad can pick a pass.

Kelly had a good game, and F***ing hell the lad is a beast - in fact all the young lads did well when they came on.

Carroll looks mean and hungry - surprisingly quick as well.

Agger was good too.

Henderson looks a bit lost wide right, but I still think the lad has talent, and will be a good player for us.

Spearing did well but had precious little help from his CM partner.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2011 09:55:44 pm by KennyIsKing »
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #383: Aug 06, 2011 09:52:58 pm
      Spearing did very well, Lucas was great when he came on, harrying them, quick passes - great ball for Kuyt

NGog was isolated, but tried despite gobs***e behind me giving him abuse.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #384: Aug 06, 2011 09:53:13 pm
      Wouldn't be the first time.

You slate Lucas all the time, but then think that display was OK?

Unbelievable, but about what I expect in terms of your myopic xenophobia.

Deary me. A poorly lad.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #385: Aug 06, 2011 09:59:54 pm

I got over my cold thanks - pity you can't get over your bias.
      NGog was isolated, but tried despite gobs***e behind me giving him abuse.

I actually thought he did OK, all things considered, but cole was too deep and didn't really offer him much support - on the couple of occasions they linked up though, they created a bit.

N'Gog isn't as bad a player as some make out, and as a 4th choice striker isn't too shabby.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #386: Aug 06, 2011 10:05:13 pm
      NGog won the freekick Soto scored from, or Kuyt
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #387: Aug 06, 2011 10:12:34 pm
      Was at the game. Was good to see Rafa before kick off, signed so many programmes, fair play to him.

Was very impressed with Downing today, seemed to have a good work rate and was eager to get forward and create something. Kelly was my other stand out player, pretty solid for the whole match. Good to see Lucas come on, he did well considering it was his first game. Everyone else I would say played well, I think they will do fine next week.

What position did Flanagan come on and play in? Seemed to stay quite central ???

Mata didn't do much tbh, Banega was good when he came on though.

I said before, I wonder if the clean sheet was because Johnson wasn't on the pitch for the majority of the match? I know it's not been just down to him the flood of goals that we've conceded over pre-season but he was pretty poor on Monday and at fault a couple of times.

Best line of the day though had to go to some fella a couple of rows behind me who in the first half kept saying "Downing is a fraud", came out with a pearler 2nd half: "Dirk needs to F**k of back to France!" kept quiet after everyone just laughed at him and told him to pipe down.

In all, a solid preformance and I fully expect a win next week now  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #388: Aug 06, 2011 10:19:56 pm
      He only played in one of our pre season game.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #389: Aug 06, 2011 10:22:16 pm
      Johnson definitely can't be to blame, Kelly was caught out in his previous game quite badly, came on a lot tonight, was good to see him back to form more like I'm used to seeing. Little bit more improvement needed but looking like the hot, hot prospect we all remember again tonight.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #390: Aug 06, 2011 10:29:10 pm
      I feel we had a good, solid, resilient result against Valencia, a champions league side, but it wasn't quite as good performance as the result stated; we started off very well, in the first 10 minutes, we got our goal through big Andy, which required some luck from Raul's mistimed back pass and further luck when it hit the keeper, then the post for Carroll to get on the end of and rebound into the back of the net. After that it was very even, neither team got a hold of the game, we were slightly better but it was close.

Second half was played in a similar nature, we were the slightly better side but it was close. Lucas made a big difference in the second half - won a lot of tackles and made 2-3 top quality passes, that one pass to Kuyt, after he successfully tackled the ball was sublime, Dirk really should have done better with that opportunity.

I am slightly worried by the fact we didn't really create anything - we never had any chances, never looked a big threat with the possession we had, never created anything which is slightly worrying.

Defensively we were much better and throughly deserved our clean sheet, we only let Valencia have one shot at goal whole game, which in their point of view, is shocking with quality players like Mata and Hernandez in their side, their only shot was only a long range shot which showed no threat what so ever.

Should give us much need confidence coming into the season.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2011 10:36:40 pm by lfc_ynwa »

Quick Reply