Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. How many Goals will we Concede?

18 (17.3%)
      23 (22.1%)
      29 (27.9%)
      3 :roll:
      29 (27.9%)
      4 or more..
      5 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Liverpool FC 2:0 Valencia - Pre, Match & Post game thread.

Read 30301 times
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Valencia - Friendly 6th Aug KO: 17:30
      Reply #391: Aug 06, 2011 10:39:15 pm
      Poor use of Aquilani? No, he was just bad, bar one nice ass.
      Whatever floats your boat  ;D

Not going to comment too much on the game as I only managed to see the 2nd half and that was interrupted, due to the fact I was in work. Would just like to say though that what I did see was a lot more positive as a team than I have seen over the last few friendlies and the result was a good one, kept a clean sheet too.

Despite some of the results we have been having previously to this, I think we'll be okay this season to say the least.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #392: Aug 06, 2011 10:43:39 pm
      I'm not saying Johnson was the only reason, just that he wasn't sharp the other day. It's all if, buts and maybes though.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #393: Aug 06, 2011 10:50:14 pm
      Things I learned from this game last before the season starts:

*We dont rate aqua enuf to play him in CM and it doesnt work off the striker if its long ball city to Carroll: solution? Sell im I guess if we're not gonna play him in position, shudve switched him with adam to test him for me and we've already too many mids
      *Henderson doesnt work on the wings. the boys gotta play centrally. Thought we had enough of square pegs in round holes. Solution? Play off the striker where aqua was and use kuyt, more control, link up and goals every time.
      *As good as kelly,robinson and flanno are none of them offer much consistently going forward compared to either Johnson or even Aurelio. solution? loan flanno and robinson. Sell insua. Buy enrique.
      *As much as im happy with carrolls performance today he still slows our game down and we play long balls way too often to him. When he went off we had a burst of pass and move then faded. solution? Start kuyt and suarez up front use caroll sparingly at 60min mark or for those legendary winter away games.
      *Our 'home grown' british team that started defo give us much more guile and energy to get stuck in but the trade off is the lack of quality we have with even controlling the ball. Cant say weve really got much better players than we've had already just different really and by that I mean british
      *Joe Cole will never work out here. No europa league this year. Sell or loan along with poulsen degen etc we've already got stevie and raul to come back just not enough space for all these guys.
      *How can we not start dirk with all he contributes?? Solution? Start Dirk

Overall think we have more depth and are possibly more suited to grinding out results on difficult away days which cost us last year. Think weve got a shot at 4th which is where im aiming for. Happy days
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #394: Aug 06, 2011 10:50:22 pm
      is it just me or is andy carroll not very creative?

he'll always score and score quite well but when he takes long-range efforts, there never seems to be much power behind them and he seems to be better with his head than his feet

feel free to tell me to bugger off to the andy carroll player thread with my opinions but i thought today was another example of this

XD
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #395: Aug 06, 2011 10:58:51 pm
      He only played in one of our pre season game.

:f_doh: Just realised.

Sorry. Ignore me then ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #396: Aug 06, 2011 11:01:28 pm
      You know exactly what you're going to get with Jay - what he lacks in quality he makes up for in other ways. He's a really hard worker, always hussling, but he needs to add a bit more quality.
      Having said that, he's had half a season getting a run of games in the first team, so I expect him to learn and improve as he keeps getting games.

Wouldn't be the first time.

You slate Lucas all the time, but then think that display was OK?

Unbelievable, but about what I expect in terms of your myopic xenophobia.

Dare I say it that Spearing is like our Darren Fletcher. Hassles the opponent hoping to force a mistake? I thought he was clearly the best central midfielder on show in the first half.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #397: Aug 06, 2011 11:06:06 pm

:lmao: was that a Freudian slip... Or just a consequence of posting on the bus?

Definitely the bus. His arse is only average. ;)
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #398: Aug 06, 2011 11:20:28 pm
      Dare I say it that Spearing is like our Darren Fletcher. Hassles the opponent hoping to force a mistake? I thought he was clearly the best central midfielder on show in the first half.

I agree he was our best CM in the first half - Jay is coming on leaps and bounds right now.

If he continues to develop he will probably get into the England squad after Gerrard and fatboy retire from internationals - which I think they should both do. Concentrate on club footy, but neither will do that if they have a chance of playing in the next WC.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #399: Aug 07, 2011 12:39:12 am
      I think we will win this one comfortably. All the pieces will fall nicely into place and we will start to show the form we will be taking into the new season. Strongest available team, good strong performance, and a good finish to our pre-season 2-0, possibly more if we keep our best players on for more than 60 mins.

No prisoners...... THIS is Anfield.   

Good shout that before the game.

Was a decent game to watch for most part. Some nice passing from both teams.

Thought we tried to go wide a bit too much without the final product. This is the type of thing which made me doubtful about the purchase of Downing, but I'm sure things will get sharper. Think when Kuyt got on, he proved more dangerous though.

Carroll seemed isolated for large parts but to see him make big defenders flap, opens all sorts of doors for our over attacking players.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #400: Aug 07, 2011 12:44:16 am
      The formation was right, positionally, everything was great.... but Henderson on the right lacked impact and Aquilani didn't fit well into the style of play, Adam I feel was told to play more direct, looking wide or to Carroll rather than short through the middle... thus hindering Aquilani.

2nd half was an improvement, Lucas came deep often to collect the ball and play short passes, Aquilani saw more of the ball and I felt we played less to the wings.
      When the subs came on, I actually thought we played much better in terms of possession and attacking play. This was because we had wide forwards coming inside getting involved in the passing and no target man to play direct balls.

I think a more pass and move game through the middle using inside forwards rather than wingers would've been much better. That way, we'd get the most or best out of every player perhaps?

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #401: Aug 07, 2011 01:15:47 am
      After this game I think we have a much better idea of what the team may look like that starts against Sunderland.

Reina
      Kelly    Carra     Agger    Aurelio

Henderson   Lucas   Adam   Downing

Kuyt Carroll

Of course there is always the chance that Kenny may flood the midfield, but I think those will be the "probable" starters but possibly in a more defensive 4-2-3-1 formation, depending on the fitness of Johnson and the ever suspect Aurelio of course.   

I believe when fit Aurelio is our best Left back (sorry to the youngsters) Agger is our best partner for Carra, and while Henderson may have been less than impressive last night, will get another chance against his old team to impress. I thought Kuyt did well when he came on and deserves his place. Certainly we have no one who can create space like Kuyt can ......until Suarez puts his boots back on anyway.   
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #402: Aug 07, 2011 02:01:00 am
      after watching the game my conclusion is that we cant afford to leave kuyt on the bench. He a different kind of energy to the team.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #403: Aug 07, 2011 02:48:58 am
      Thought we had good pace today, far more energy then the last few matches....Downing my MOTM, really looking forward to seeing him and Luis hook up. Carroll worked his arse off today I thought and put in an excellent shift...a shout out to Robinson also who continues to impress.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #404: Aug 07, 2011 03:29:26 am
      I thought we did well and it's clear KD had some words with the boys to improve their level of football. Stew's playing marvelous and Carroll is getting there and looked much better with more support. He's isolated for some time and we should mobilize our attacking movements around the area and have plans to create more chances.

Good performance and good result and enough to be optimistic to get the three points against the Black Cats :)
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #405: Aug 07, 2011 08:03:29 am
      is it just me or is andy carroll not very creative?

he'll always score and score quite well but when he takes long-range efforts, there never seems to be much power behind them and he seems to be better with his head than his feet

feel free to tell me to bugger off to the andy carroll player thread with my opinions but I thought today was another example of this

The game against City last year when he fired one in from 25 yards? Or when he rifled one in past Reina from 30 yards against us?

One of his main attributes is the power he is able to generate from long range shots  :f_doh:
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2011 08:08:56 am by Dannylfc »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #406: Aug 07, 2011 08:40:11 am
       I have not seen the match so I am in no position to comment or pass appraisal on any of our players.After reading some of the posts(not all of them) it shows how many different opinions there are regarding players ratings on the pitch.This is not a criticism it just shows the Forum working as it should do and letting posters express themselves.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #407: Aug 07, 2011 11:15:36 am
      Went to the match yesterday and really enjoyed what I thought was a good win agianst a good side, in some short periods our passing was brilliant(one of them just after Cole, Maxi and Ngog had just come on) Lucas showed he hasn't lost his form from last season, what a pass he made to Kuyt, Carroll did ok, his touch is still a little off though but hopefully that'll come. Spearing impressed me, Cole did ok as did Aquilani,  Henderson struggled I thought but I won't judge him on this game.
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2011 11:24:12 am by thereds13 »
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Liverpool FC 2:0 Valencia - Pre, Match & Post game thread.
      Reply #408: Aug 07, 2011 01:05:59 pm
      Watched the game when I came home last night. Very interesting game. First all, I think we allowed them to have the ball a lot, safe in the knowledge that we could contain them. Carroll looked real sharp, almost on fire. It was great to see him get the goal. He was awake to the mistake and what I also loved is that after the initial shot was saved, he followed it up and made sure he slotted it home. Aquilani was a bit quiet but it was the first time he had played in that system and with Carroll in front of him. Couldn't help but watch him as if he was a new signing as well.

Though Adam was brilliant. He was breaking up the play and pinging the ball right across the pitch so was very impressed. Takes some great set-pieces as well. Defensively, we were better. At times we were a bit unsure but that will come with time. Still think Carra looked a bit leggy, which is bound to happen with someone his age. Kelly impressed when he came on, as did Lucas and Kuyt.

Didn't think I would ever say this but Cole looked decent as well. He was sharp and looked hungry. Still a long way to go before he hits the heights he certainly has the ability to reach.

Overall, it was quite a good performance. Reina organised the defense and I think it was pretty obvious we have missed that influence. Hendo was okay, not brilliant, but he is getting use to a new position. As a team, we are looking better. Very well organised and fit. I am certainly more confident now than I was, going in to the new season. Come on Liverpool!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #409: Aug 07, 2011 01:56:54 pm
      I never got to see or listen to the match, but have just read all the posts. The opinions on individual players performances are so diverse, the only positive assumptions i can take from this, is...... Carra is past it, Carroll is o.k. Downing was superb, as was Agger and Kelly. We played alright against a decent side. Got a deserved result and confidencde is high. Well that can't be bad going into the new season next week end. Certainly an improvment on my expectations of last week. I'm sure we will now improve week by week as the side becomes more settled. Suday Express match result predictions for next Sat, have Sunderland down for an away win. Seems all media outlets have lost faith in us as a footballing power. Let's remind them of just who we are, and smash Sunderland, and old match ball head into submission. Looking forwward to the 13th like never before.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #410: Aug 07, 2011 01:59:48 pm
      I'm at a loss how some people can say Adam was brilliant yesterday yet others thought he was gash and outshined by Spearing. Personally I thought he looked to slow recycling the ball and my the worries about him when we signed him have not being eased on seeing him for us in pre season.

Mark my words he will really struggle when closed down this season, he has similar pace to Alonso but does not have the game intelligence
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #411: Aug 07, 2011 02:48:58 pm
      Quote from corballyred link=topic=39859.msg1069737#msg1069737

the worries about him when we signed him have not being eased on seeing him for us in pre season.

You have not shut up about his poor pass completion rate and Hollywood balls, yesterday neither supposed problems were in evidence. I was not that keen either, but he has done well in pre-season and was very good yesterday. I'm willing to say I may be proved wrong, why do you need to make up problems to justify initial reservations?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #412: Aug 07, 2011 02:52:34 pm
      That is because he didn't have the F***ing ball yesterday people giving him man of the match yesterday are the people making things up
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #413: Aug 07, 2011 02:57:44 pm
      That is because he didn't have the f**king ball yesterday people giving him man of the match yesterday are the people making things up

He had it more than Mata and he used it better... :f_tongueincheek: ;D

Quick Reply