Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. How many Goals will we Concede?

18 (17.3%)
      23 (22.1%)
      29 (27.9%)
      3 :roll:
      29 (27.9%)
      4 or more..
      5 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Liverpool FC 2:0 Valencia - Pre, Match & Post game thread.

Read 30307 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool FC 2:0 Valencia - Pre, Match & Post game thread.
      Reply #414: Aug 07, 2011 03:01:13 pm
      Who gave him MOTM?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #415: Aug 07, 2011 03:01:33 pm
      Statsically I bet he didn't, I'll bet you Mata had the ball more yesterday. In fairness to Adam he is not fully to blame because our defenders seemed intent on hitting long ball to Carroll yesterday. Valencia owned the ball for most of the match.

Quite a few crouch TDLlk is one anyway
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #416: Aug 07, 2011 03:36:09 pm
      Quite a few crouch TDLlk is one anyway

Oh, i thought he was announced as MOTM or something.

And i don't think TKIDLLTK did.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #417: Aug 07, 2011 03:39:32 pm
      He did Crouch do you want me to go back and find the post
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #418: Aug 07, 2011 04:31:16 pm
      He did Crouch do you want me to go back and find the post

No.

His opinion is his opinion.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #419: Aug 07, 2011 04:50:17 pm
      I thought Agger did very well yesterday, much better than many on the field. Looks like a new signing. Adam took one too many touches on the ball when a simple forward pass would have split Valencia's defence. He must be told when to make the quick final pass and when to dribble. He had a dissapointing face when he came off which tells us that he did not have a good game. In spite of what we have said about Kuyt, he has the energy to run and run and run to take on the defenders while others don't. Andy is slightly better, look sharper. Henderson? I'm not sure what's his contribution in the game, doesn't looks confident and confortable on the ball, he better build up his confidence fast. Aquilani, I'm afraid to say he took too long to track back to defend and he's great going forward but offers nothing defensively. We can't have two slow mids in Aquilani and Lucas in the same team.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #420: Aug 07, 2011 06:18:12 pm
      Just watched the match back again in full as watched it in the pub last night and Jaeger bombs don't do much for your football appreciation. Given the very ropey pre-season we've had up until now I'm genuinely amazed at the number of whingy, negative posts in this thread and I'm really not sure what match some people were watching. My thoughts on the game were:

- The biggest positive by far - We kept a clean sheet! We didn't concede 3 goals AGAIN! Defended from the front really well, pressed the ball quite well with every player doing their part and whenever Valencia looked a bit dangerous we got bodies around the ball and made things difficult. The back 4 looked like a unit again for the first time this pre-season. Was great to see Aurelio back in the side and I wonder if Kenny is thinking of starting him against Sunderland given that his quality (when fit) is so obvious. Young Kelly had a good game and looked more like the player we saw last season.

- Big andy Carroll looked 20% sharper than in the previous games. I don't know if it's because he's shaved that stoopid beard and trimmed his pony tail but he looked lean and mean and more mobile than we've seen. Worked his ass off, bullied a good few of their defenders and took his goal very well. That's 3 goals for Andy in pre-season so I should hope he goes into the season with a lot of confidence.

- Stewart Downing was excellent again and I know (1 game) it's no barometer but those fans who were creamng themselves about Mata and screaming blue murder when we went for Downing instead seem to have gone very quiet. He was very lively throughout, I knew he could cross a ball but I hadn't fully appreciated his clever movement off the ball. I love the fact we've got a squad with a good few clever players (Gerrard, Aqua, Maxi, Suarez) in there.

- I thought we passed the ball quite well, the tempo was good and we kept possession well. The boys in midfield weren't amazing but I thought they all had solid games. Spearing had his best game of pre-season and Adam, Henderson and Lucas all did ok with none of them due criticism or particularly high praise either.

- I REALLY didn't expect Aquilani to start the game but maybe, just maybe he will figure in Kenny's plans after all? It's a bizarre situation. However, he did have a quiet game and wasn't really able to get on the ball despite a few very nice touches. If he's going to play in that position you sense he needs to be playing another 10-15 yards deeper and ideally you'd have a Torres type of player playing ahead of him rather than big Andy.

All in all a real confidence booster going into a new season. Valencia are no mugs and it was great to see the lads looking organised defensively and playing with a better shape than we've previously seen. Bring on Sunderland!!!

PS. We still need a bloody centre-back though!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #421: Aug 08, 2011 01:47:37 pm
      Late post but only just got back on, enjoyed the game immensely and pleased we managed to keep a clean sheet really impressed with the off ball performances commintment to the cause seems to be there, hoping Aquilani stays !
      We've got 5 days left to get it right (we will !) it's been said before 'the next game is the one that matters' and it is !
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #422: Aug 08, 2011 04:12:25 pm
      IanDoyleSport Ian Doyle
       by neiljonesecho
      For anyone interested, the attendance at Liverpool v Valencia on Saturday was 36,606. #lfc

Quick Reply