Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The referee appraisal thread

Read 23072 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: The referee appraisal thread
      Reply #23: Aug 15, 2011 01:57:16 am
      I know sometimes referees can really change a game with a single decision but i hope to avoid blaming them but as this thread is just to keep track of moments that may have changed our season, then it's okay.

Refereeing blunders happen to all teams, not only us but sometimes I feel it happens to us more than to Man United :P
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #24: Aug 15, 2011 01:59:52 am
      Can we not just say that all refs are wankers, unless they make decisions in our favour?

Sorry, not trying to demean anyone or their posts :)
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25: Aug 15, 2011 09:41:52 am
      I'm getting in early, Howard Webb is a bellend.
      Don't worry! He never gets the big games involving us!!! :f_wah:
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #26: Aug 15, 2011 10:33:15 am
      Could see that if the Suarez penalty was five from the end not the start he may well have gone.  Big decision to send off a player less than 5min into a new season, and while it shouldn't have that probably affected the decision.

Thought that with the Carroll "goal", Ferdinand was already under the ball when contact was made (not a full on push) and so may have been harsh.

With any refereeing decision you have to ask how you would feel if the situation was reversed and you would probably say that we would probably feel hard done by if we had had a man sent off or Sunderland had scored that "goal".  So maybe decisions were correct in the eyes of a neutral......
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Aug 15, 2011 10:34:59 am
      Carroll goal should have stood.
      I saw more blatant pushes not given this weekend.

Thanks for robbing the points off us.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #28: Aug 15, 2011 10:57:41 am
      Carroll goal should have stood.
      I saw more blatant pushes not given this weekend.

Thanks for robbing the points off us.

If one ref decision cost us two points, then frankly the team needs to be the one to blame, refs, like players make mistakes and mistakes are what make the game interesting.  If every one got everything right, we'd have a lot of dull 0-0 games.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #29: Aug 15, 2011 11:08:53 am
      With any refereeing decision you have to ask how you would feel if the situation was reversed and you would probably say that we would probably feel hard done by if we had had a man sent off or Sunderland had scored that "goal".  So maybe decisions were correct in the eyes of a neutral......

I'd have expected a Liverpool defender to be sent off in the same circumstances and I'd be criticising our defender if he misjudged the flight of the ball.

If one ref decision cost us two points, then frankly the team needs to be the one to blame, refs, like players make mistakes and mistakes are what make the game interesting.  If every one got everything right, we'd have a lot of dull 0-0 games.

Are you Sepp Blatter in disguise...?

And it was two decisions.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #30: Aug 15, 2011 11:18:24 am
      How Dowd gave 8 cards yesterday was laughable.

As was his failure to send Richardson off, solely because he bottled showing his red card less than 6 minutes into the season.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #31: Aug 15, 2011 11:23:39 am
      Are you Sepp Blatter in disguise...?

And it was two decisions.

Two decisions, like not booking Flanagan & only booking Carragher.  Just because I don't feel the need hang the ref for every foible.  No problem pointing out mistakes, but pissed off at fans expecting refs to make none and sounding like bitters, claiming conspiracy. 
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #32: Aug 15, 2011 02:47:47 pm
      I thought the reffing was piss poor as it did influence the game later on, Richardson most definitely should have been sent off and so should Lee Cattermole two rash tackles ended only in yellow, ultimately those decisions directly have an effect on the game and put us under unnecessary pressure and cost us points!!!!
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #33: Aug 20, 2011 03:00:21 pm
      Ref was generally poor today, few yellows were silly, fouls on Carroll not punished, he was being climbed all over, but was penalised for lightest touch.

Suarez was 50/50 for the goal, I'd have said onside, but according to current interpretations, he was jjjjjuuuuussssstttt offside.  So, we probably got a very marginal decision in our favour there.  My initial reaction was offside, damn, didn't celebrate the goal.

How did that affect that game? Well, we were on top, but it obviously opened it up and allowed us to get the second.  Could we have won without it? Possibly.  Could it have been a draw? Definitely.

So, I'll lean on the side of the ref here and say that it was +2pts for us.

Overall, we are +-0 :)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34: Aug 20, 2011 03:10:47 pm
      Got a few of 50/50's wrong today but thought he was OK overall.  The assistant on the far side had a poor game though.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #35: Aug 20, 2011 03:20:03 pm
      Don't like criticising refs but what the F**k what he thinking letting the Arshavin push on Kelly go? He got the sending off right though, and it is the linesman who rules on offsides so he escapes blame there.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #36: Aug 20, 2011 03:22:23 pm
      We've had worse and that's an understatement.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #37: Aug 20, 2011 03:22:56 pm
      Refreeing was not that bad today with Arshavin's push on Kelly being the biggest blunder committed by the ref.If Van Persie would have scored there the ref could have cost us the win so just OK with the ref's performance today.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #38: Aug 20, 2011 03:23:03 pm
      Don't like criticising refs but what the f**k what he thinking letting the Arshavin push on Kelly go? He got the sending off right though, and it is the linesman who rules on offsides so he escapes blame there.

That was atrocious, could have been very costly, lucky VP scuffed it a little and Pepe was in the right place!

When I say ref, I mean the entire team of officials, you are right, the man in the middle wasn't to blame for the just offside goal
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #39: Aug 20, 2011 05:28:39 pm
      I thought we got the benefit of several calls today. Agreed that Carroll should have earned more fouls with defenders climbing on him like monkeys. But all in all a decently called game and one I felt Arsenal had more to complain about than we did.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Aug 20, 2011 05:41:53 pm
      Missed an obvious foul on Kelly in the box that could of easily cost us and think Carroll got the worst of the decisions. Most times he hardly touched anyone and was called up for a foul and other times was climbed on and got nothing. Think the sending off was completely fair and hard to argue, do think that Frimpong will make a decent player in time though.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #41: Aug 28, 2011 09:38:50 am
      Right.  Quick post this week.

I thought the ref was very good in the first half, got a couple of corners or throws the wrong way, but all the big decisions he got spot on (handball, foul on Enrique for instance.)  In the second half.... not so much.

He missed the penalty appeal on Suarez, in the first minute after the half - however, it was not an easy one to see, only on the replay could we see that Knight's hand brings Luis down.  That is an argument in favour of video technology, not against Lee Probert.  They didn't show the second pen appeal on MoTD, so I'll defer to other's judgment on that one, saw it on a stream and it looked a good claim, but he came through and got the ball and we got the corner.  The worst mistake was the backpass, that was simply unforgivable.  He clearly touches it on the Luis' foot and then gathers it, it was a backpass and an indirect freekick.

Didn't cost us any points.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #42: Aug 28, 2011 09:52:33 am
      He was terrible TDI, even watching the first half again on MOTD, the first clip was of Bolton getting a corner which never in a million years was a corner, another terrible decision and he was only 5 yards away. The next was a foul from Coker, he played advantage but never spoke with Coker. As I said yesterday Coker carried out about 6 fouls why wasn't he booked. Think you were listening to Ray Wilkins to much

He has got slaughtered by Liverpool fans across the web, have to be honest tdi your the first lad I've seen try and defend him and we won, for what reason your defending him I dont know because his performance was terrible
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #43: Aug 28, 2011 09:59:17 am
      The back pass was a joke. I don't understand how these stupid decisions continue to go against us.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #44: Aug 28, 2011 10:02:13 am
      He was terrible TDI, even watching the first half again on MOTD, the first clip was of Bolton getting a corner which never in a million years was a corner, another terrible decision and he was only 5 yards away. The next was a foul from Coker, he played advantage but never spoke with Coker. As I said yesterday Coker carried out about 6 fouls why wasn't he booked. Think you were listening to Ray Wilkins to much

He has got slaughtered by Liverpool fans across the web, have to be honest tdi your the first lad I've seen try and defend him and we won, for what reason your defending him I dont know because his performance was terrible

Defending him? You see what you want to. I said good first half, not so much in the second.

Slaughtering the ref is the default setting on Homos Scousus I'm afraid, I am normally harsh on the ref, but that first half performance (as I said) except for the corner he was outstanding - could have easily given us the pen for the handball.  That was a very difficult decision.  As for Reo-Coker, I know the foul you mean, but I'm not sure whether he signalled play on or no foul.  Either way, why did he need to go back and talk to him?

Liverpool fans are slaughtering the ref because a) that's just what we do.  b) there were three penalty shouts in the game. c) the ridiculous decision on the backpass.

It is incredibly harsh to criticise the ref for the first Suarez pen appeal.
      And I said I didn't see the second one again, so I'll let those with Sky comment on that one.
      The backpass was a ridiculous decision.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: Aug 28, 2011 10:06:16 am
      No fans slaughter refs if they lose very rare you see a ref slaughtered after a resounding win. He made 1 good decision in the first half and it was an easy decision when you see his positioning for it.

He is still getting slaughtered on twitter this morning for his performance. Do you not find that interesting he is getting discussed so much after such a brilliant performance.

Well yourself and Chelsea loving Ray Wilkins thought he was good. Just to add his back pass decision was 1 of the worst I've seen from any ref at any level

Quick Reply