Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The referee appraisal thread

Read 23071 times
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: The referee appraisal thread
      Reply #230: Oct 16, 2011 09:06:30 am
      Ref did ok yesterday, he was helped by the fact that it was quite low key 1st half with the usual tackles we see in these games not flying in.

Saying that Ferdinand could / should have had a 2nd yelllow and did look like a handball by Evans and I was down the Annie Road end!!! Havent seen them on tv yet so just going on what I could see.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #231: Oct 16, 2011 05:31:47 pm

It is pretty simple, so no surprises that you got it wrong. Cole was a trolley bus ride late, and anywhere else on the pitch it was a foul. The ball wasn't in the stands when he made contact with the little Mexican fella ;D.

Are you really that F***ing dense, or do you just like to cause a row for the sake of it - THE BALL WAS DEAD i.e. it was out of play
      The ref CANNOT give a free kick or pen when the ball is dead, but he could have booked cole.

As for yesterday, the ref did ok - seen pens given before for the handballs (or ball to hand) that were not given yesterday, but equally have seen loads not given.
      Also thought Ferdinand should have gone - and you can tell from his reaction that he thought he was going to get another yellow, but then he stepped away as all the manc players jumped in to distract the ref.
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #232: Oct 16, 2011 06:20:04 pm
      Ferdinand should definitely have gone yesterday, the bloody ref bottled it, the contact might well have been minor but he has stuck his leg out and clipped Adam so its a definite second yellow, I don't agree with anyone who says it was soft.  If it had been the other way round at Old Trafford Skrtel/Carragher would have been given their marching orders.

As for the pen I personally thought it was handball by Evans but it wasn't clear-cut!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #233: Oct 16, 2011 07:06:27 pm
      Are you really that F***ing dense, or do you just like to cause a row for the sake of it - THE BALL WAS DEAD i.e. it was out of play
      The ref CANNOT give a free kick or pen when the ball is dead, but he could have booked cole.

Is this on about the Cole/Hernandez malarky at Old Trafford a few weeks back? If it is, then it was no different to Skrtel against Stoke. Have a shot that flies over the bar and then the tackle is made. I know a few who thought that was a blatant pen that we didn't get.

Anyway, as far as yesterday goes I thought the ref and his officials got quite a few decisions wrong. Evans was certainly handball, he threw his arm at it. Enrique's is slightly more difficult (not because he plays for Liverpool either) as his hit his collar bone then onto his arm. Ferdinand should of got a second yellow. Lucas got booked for a foul but the free kick was taken from where Skrtel made the foul. So either Skrtel should of been booked (worse challenge than Lucas') or the free kick should of been taken from where Lucas committed his foul. Ashley Young has a shot that goes straight out and they get a corner. Thought Gerrard kept the ball from going for a corner but a corner was given which Smalling headed straight out (I thought) and they get another corner. Downing gets booked for diving yet Young wins a free kick for diving off a Lucas challenge - which if the ref thought it was a foul should of been a yellow as should one of Lucas' earlier challenges where he caught one of their players. Downing got booked for diving yet Ferdinand goes down looking for a free kick when Suarez won the ball, chases after the ref to complain and nothing. Evra goes inciting the fans and nothing happens to him, Evra shows the imaginary yellow card (which is supposedly a bookable offence) and again nothing happens.

So all in all I don't think the ref had a good game as far as consistency goes.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #234: Oct 16, 2011 07:09:06 pm
      Marriner did well imho,he let the game flow as much as he could,as like 99.9% of high profile matches, there was and always will be contentious decisions,this was no different,
       the tackle on le frog was minimal and had he flashed a yellow it would have set a precedent for the remainder of the game and possibly ended with less than 22 players, and probably ruined the game,
      le frog should have been booked for trying to get a player booked,  it was a typical no holds barred match and therefore a difficult game to ref, the hand ball incidents were spot on, neither were clear cut,
      Lucas's feeble effort of removing Jones from the action worked to a degree,his target seemed to fade after it and susequently had a early bath, i agree the camel should have went,his minor touch to down Adam was irresponsible of him, he is experienced enough not leave a foot in, soshould have paid the ultimate price,
      all in all in was a decent display from the ref,a rare occasion when the ref was relatively quiet,so he gets plenty of credit from me, and a pat on the back, well done Andre.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #235: Oct 16, 2011 11:36:46 pm
      Was going to put this in the "What are you listening to thread" but, in here seem just as, if not more, appropriate.

Half Man Half Biscuit - The Referee's Alphabet
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #236: Oct 17, 2011 09:06:59 am
      If it had been the other way round at Old Trafford Skrtel/Carragher would have been given their marching orders.
      We will continue to find it difficult to compete with United as long as Ferguson has his hold over referees and the powers in the game/media tolerate it. Against 10 men on Saturday I would have expected us to win. I am bitter about this because we would have won the league in 2009 but for refereeing at Old Trafford and Rafa would still be here as the manager who brought us the European cup AND the title. Over the course of a season these continual split decisions in United's favour add up, making them hugely significant.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #237: Oct 18, 2011 09:48:37 am
      Refs make mistakes, just like players & managers! Shock horror!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #238: Nov 30, 2011 11:54:01 am
      Philip Dowd was spot on yesterday. Took no sh*t, and to book a home player diving in the 3rd min when most thought it was a Pen was great to see. Howard Webb should take note.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #239: Nov 30, 2011 12:24:49 pm
      Philip Dowd was spot on yesterday. Took no sh*t, and to book a home player diving in the 3rd min when most thought it was a Pen was great to see. Howard Webb should take note.

howard webb is a grade a c***, trying to be a no-nonsense new age collina...except without any of the authority, respect or decision accuracy.

dowd did very well and got pretty much everything spot on, he's normally very consistent and others should take note.
      pragnorok
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #240: Dec 01, 2011 11:04:07 am
      phil dowd in my opion is the best F***ing ref in the EPL not w*nk face howard c**t webb
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #241: Dec 06, 2011 05:54:03 am
      Another poor showing by the referee today. Kevin Friend it was. A number of big decisions against us throughout the whole game I think. By half time I had a feeling he would make a big decision against us.

And I think Lee Probert is the best referee at the moment.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #242: Dec 06, 2011 06:45:49 am
      Another poor showing by the referee today. Kevin Friend it was. A number of big decisions against us throughout the whole game I think. By half time I had a feeling he would make a big decision against us.

And I think Lee Probert is the best referee at the moment.
      The basta*d is no friend of ours after his performance at Fulham,maybe he should drop the r from his name and become a Fiend
      sergioh
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 123 posts |
      Reply #243: Dec 06, 2011 07:21:31 am
      I think that calling a foul right outside the penalty box (i mean one blade of grass away from the line) is worse than getting no call. It takes more balls to not call the foul than to call it just outside.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #244: Dec 06, 2011 07:43:30 am
      I think that calling a foul right outside the penalty box (i mean one blade of grass away from the line) is worse than getting no call. It takes more balls to not call the foul than to call it just outside.

Exactly my thoughts. The b***ard should have allowed us to play on and we had a greater chance of scoring. He played a major part in us losing the game and does not deserve to referee a game until he improves.
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #245: Dec 06, 2011 08:24:52 am
      Thought "Friend" had it in for us from the beginning, he gave us sweet f*ck all. That was never a red card, senderos should have got one, and we should have got a peno. Very frustrating, seems to be controversy with referrees every week
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #246: Dec 06, 2011 08:30:51 am
      The best referee in the league I've seen in the past few years was Alan Wiley. Sadly, he's not in the sport anymore.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #247: Dec 06, 2011 10:57:58 am
      Thought "Friend" had it in for us from the beginning, he gave us sweet f*ck all.

It seemed that way I reckon he  had a few quid on Fulham at 5/2.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #248: Dec 06, 2011 12:25:41 pm
      Since when has there been a change in the laws to outlaw a strong tackle? It was neither a foul or a red. And if last night's was a red why the F**k wasn't Lukaku sent-off for the challenge on Henderson in last weeks league cup game. Even though the ref last week wrongly booked Bertrand.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #249: Dec 06, 2011 12:33:34 pm
      Pound to a pinch of sh*t he get's the ruling overturned on appeal....he is appealing isn't he? Anyone know?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #250: Dec 06, 2011 12:34:08 pm
       The problem was last night that the referee had a lot of marginal calls to make, and we were on the wrong end of absolutely every single one. Dempsey on Bellamy? Clearly Bellamy has said something to him but it matters not a jot, you annot put your head in another players face. Bellamy does him a favour by standing up, but does he send Dempsey off or book him? Well he books him, fair enough it's a mans game, but then he books Bellamy as well. A truly unbelieveable decision.

The Suarez offside goal, apparently a marginal call (I haven't seen the replays) but we're on the wrong end of it.

Spearings tackle? I thought it was a good one although I accept I like to see footballers making blood and thuinder challenges, the game may have changed (wrongly in my opinion but there it is). Did he have to go straight red though, would a booking not have sufficed given he clearly won the ball? Once again we're on the wrong end.

Senderos already booked and commits another bookable offence? He stays on and once again we suffer.

Suarez penalty claim? Questionable, by no means stone wall but we don't get it.

The Adam run followed by the foul on Senderos? Right on the edge, remember the lines part of the penalty box, in or not? Obviously not and we lose out again.

Then the injury time at the end. From memory there were at least four subs, that's two minutes. Then the Spearing sending off/Djembele stopping his roll aroundon the floor routine took at least two minutes. We had to wait 90 seconds while they get Danny Murphy off the pitch, and the time added on, the sum of all that? 3 minutes. F*ck off, if that was Man U they'd still be playing now.     
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #251: Dec 06, 2011 12:45:39 pm
      The problem was last night that the referee had a lot of marginal calls to make, and we were on the wrong end of absolutely every single one. Dempsey on Bellamy? Clearly Bellamy has said something to him but it matters not a jot, you annot put your head in another players face. Bellamy does him a favour by standing up, but does he send Dempsey off or book him? Well he books him, fair enough it's a mans game, but then he books Bellamy as well. A truly unbelieveable decision.

The Suarez offside goal, apparently a marginal call (I haven't seen the replays) but we're on the wrong end of it.

Spearings tackle? I thought it was a good one although I accept I like to see footballers making blood and thuinder challenges, the game may have changed (wrongly in my opinion but there it is). Did he have to go straight red though, would a booking not have sufficed given he clearly won the ball? Once again we're on the wrong end.

Senderos already booked and commits another bookable offence? He stays on and once again we suffer.

The Adam run followed by the foul on Senderos? Right on the edge, remember the lines part of the penalty box, in or not? Obviously not and we lose out again.

Then the injury time at the end. From memory there were at least four subs, that's two minutes. Then the Spearing sending off/Djembele stopping his roll aroundon the floor routine took at least two minutes. We had to wait 90 seconds while they get Danny Murphy off the pitch, and the time added on, the sum of all that? 3 minutes. F*ck off, if that was Man U they'd still be playing now.     

Laughing at that last bit, but apart from that you're spot on with virtually every point.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #252: Dec 06, 2011 01:19:53 pm

Hehe, that post reminds me of exactly how I was thinking as that game wore on! Right down to the quarrel over injury time too :)

Not going to post anymore of my views of Friend, suffice to say I think he's a complete buffoon and I pity whoever gets his next game because he's liable to make a complete farce of it.

Spearing HAS to get that overturned. There's just no way he shouldn't if Rodwell got his rescinded.

Quick Reply