Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

WE DON'T BUY THE SUN CAMPAIGN

Read 10794 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      WE DON'T BUY THE SUN CAMPAIGN
      Aug 16, 2011 07:43:37 pm
      The "WE DON'T BUY THE SUN" Campaign is in partnership with the Hillsborough Justice Campaign and www.dontbuythesun.co.uk.

We are asking all Liverpool supporters and football fans worldwide to help us build pressure up on the Sun newspaper, Kelvin MacKenzie and Rupert Murdoch. After 22 years, we are still trying to educate people as to the real truth, after their appalling headline back on 19th April 1989. If you are unaware of the boycott, please read info from www.dontbuythesun.co.uk, along with www.contrast.org/hillsborough.

If you could all please go to http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/we-dont-buy-the-sun/ and download and print off our DBTS flyer, we would then please kindly ask you take a picture of yourself with the poster outside any famous landmark, football gorund, sporting event - even on your hoildays abroad, or at home - anywhere in the world. We would ask that you please do not stick the flyer anywhere, and take it back home with you.

Then, send your pictures in to the link on the same page you printed off the flyer so it can be uploaded onto our gallery for the world to see (subject to approval).

If you could add a little backgorund as to where the photo was taken and any story behind it, please do.

Many thanks for your continued support.

Never buy the S*n , JFT96, Justice for All.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: WE DON'T BUY THE SUN CAMPAIGN
      Reply #1: Aug 17, 2011 12:05:03 pm
      Fantastic idea HR. Will get round to it asap. Good luck with the campaign.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #2: Aug 17, 2011 04:15:01 pm
      Nice one HR, will do mate!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #3: Aug 17, 2011 05:11:41 pm
      Fantastic idea HR. Will get round to it asap. Good luck with the campaign.

Should be said, it's not my campaign, just spreading the word!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #4: Aug 23, 2011 04:54:53 am
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5: Aug 24, 2011 12:33:03 am
      I put this in the 'Don't buy the sun guide' thread and thought it best to put in here as well, please move if inappropriate.

An article from The Guardian from 2004 just to refresh the minds of mckenzie the c**t:

What the Sun said 15 years ago

It was more than 15 years ago and still some shops boycott the Sun - such was the calamitous effect of the Sun's front page claims that Liverpool fans urinated on police, pick-pocketed dead victims and prevented brave PCs giving the kiss of life to some of the victims at Hillsborough.

And although the editor at the time, Kelvin MacKenzie, later apologised, there will never be any room for the Sun in some Liverpudlian households ever again.

If you ever see this smug c**t I implore you to kick him. That is a personal request from me, not LFCReds

It all started on the Wednesday following the Hillsborough disaster in April 1989, when MacKenzie was about to make what he later described as a "fundamental mistake".

According to Peter Chippindale and Chris Horrie in their definitive history Stick it Up Your Punter - the Rise and Fall of the Sun, MacKenzie spent an unusual amount of time deliberating over the fateful headline for that day's paper.

"MacKenzie then did an enormously uncharacteristic thing. He sat for fully half an hour thinking about the front page layout."

According to the book he pondered two headlines, one that was rejected reading "You Scum", and the one that was eventually used - and was to prove the biggest disaster for the paper's reputation and sales: "The Truth".

A team of about 18 journalists and photographers had been sent to cover the story, and although reporter Harry Arnold sought out MacKenzie to caution against reporting allegations as truth, MacKenzie pressed on.

Having decided to lay the blame on the fans' doorsteps, there was no stopping him.

Under the headline "The Truth" there were three subheadings:

Some fans picked pockets of victims
      Some fans urinated on the brave cops
      Some fans beat up PCs giving the kiss of life

The story read as follows: "Drunken Liverpool fans viciously attacked rescue workers as they tried to revive victims of the Hillsborough soccer disaster, it was revealed last night.

"Police officers, firemen and ambulance crew were punched, kicked and urinated upon by a hooligan element in the crowd.

"Some thugs rifled the pockets of injured fans as they were stretched out unconscious on the pitch.

"Sheffield MP Irvine Patnick revealed that in one shameful episode a gang of Liverpool fans noticed that the blouse of a girl trampled to death had risen above her breasts.

"As a policeman struggled in vain to revive her, the mob jeered: 'Throw her up here and we will **** her'"

The story went on: "One furious policeman who witnessed Saturday's carnage stormed: 'As we struggled in appalling conditions to save lives, fans standing further up the terrace were openly urinating on us and the bodies of the dead."

A 'high-ranking' police officer was quoted as saying: "The fans were just acting like animals. My men faced a double hell - the disaster and the fury of the fans who attacked us."

Kenny Dalglish, then Liverpool manager, later addressed the story in his autobiography:

"When the Sun came out with the story about Liverpool fans being drunk and unruly underneath a headline 'The Truth,' the reaction on Merseyside was one of complete outrage. Newsagents stopped stocking the Sun. People wouldn't mention its name. They were burning copies of it. Anyone representing the Sun was abused.

"Sun reporters and photographers would lie, telling people they worked for the Liverpool Post and Echo. There was a lot of harassment of them because of what had been written. The Star had gone a bit strong as well, but they apologised the next day. They knew the story had no foundation. Kelvin MacKenzie, the Sun's editor, even called me up.

"'How can we correct the situation?" he said.

"'You know that big headline - 'The Truth',' I replied. 'All you have to do is put 'We lied' in the same size. Then you might be all right.'

"Mackenzie said: 'I cannot do that.'

"'Well,' I replied, 'I cannot help you then.'

"That was it. I put the phone down. Merseysiders were outraged by the Sun. A great many still are."

It was four years later that the then publicity-averse Kelvin MacKenzie went public for the first time about the calamitous decision to call Liverpudlians liars and thieves who preyed off the dying and dead.

"I regret Hillsborough," he said. "It was a fundamental mistake. The mistake was I believed what an MP said. It was a Tory MP. If he had not said it and the chief superintendent had not agreed with it, we would not have gone with it," he told the Commons national heritage committee in January, 1993.

However, the Hillsborough survivors' group felt his words amounted to a less than sufficient apology.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/jul/07/pressandpublishing.football1?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487
      bossred1
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #6: Dec 13, 2011 04:07:12 pm

Class stuff! You should take that to Anfield mate!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #7: Dec 15, 2011 10:42:33 pm
      Class stuff! You should take that to Anfield mate!

Not actually mine, just spreading the word!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #8: Dec 17, 2011 11:27:07 pm
      I put this in the 'Don't buy the sun guide' thread and thought it best to put in here as well, please move if inappropriate.

An article from The Guardian from 2004 just to refresh the minds of mckenzie the c**t:

It was more than 15 years ago and still some shops boycott the Sun - such was the calamitous effect of the Sun's front page claims that Liverpool fans urinated on police, pick-pocketed dead victims and prevented brave PCs giving the kiss of life to some of the victims at Hillsborough.

And although the editor at the time, Kelvin MacKenzie, later apologised, there will never be any room for the Sun in some Liverpudlian households ever again.

If you ever see this smug c**t I implore you to kick him. That is a personal request from me, not LFCReds

It all started on the Wednesday following the Hillsborough disaster in April 1989, when MacKenzie was about to make what he later described as a "fundamental mistake".

According to Peter Chippindale and Chris Horrie in their definitive history Stick it Up Your Punter - the Rise and Fall of the Sun, MacKenzie spent an unusual amount of time deliberating over the fateful headline for that day's paper.

"MacKenzie then did an enormously uncharacteristic thing. He sat for fully half an hour thinking about the front page layout."

According to the book he pondered two headlines, one that was rejected reading "You Scum", and the one that was eventually used - and was to prove the biggest disaster for the paper's reputation and sales: "The Truth".

A team of about 18 journalists and photographers had been sent to cover the story, and although reporter Harry Arnold sought out MacKenzie to caution against reporting allegations as truth, MacKenzie pressed on.

Having decided to lay the blame on the fans' doorsteps, there was no stopping him.

The story read as follows: "Drunken Liverpool fans viciously attacked rescue workers as they tried to revive victims of the Hillsborough soccer disaster, it was revealed last night.

"Police officers, firemen and ambulance crew were punched, kicked and urinated upon by a hooligan element in the crowd.

"Some thugs rifled the pockets of injured fans as they were stretched out unconscious on the pitch.

"Sheffield MP Irvine Patnick revealed that in one shameful episode a gang of Liverpool fans noticed that the blouse of a girl trampled to death had risen above her breasts.

"As a policeman struggled in vain to revive her, the mob jeered: 'Throw her up here and we will **** her'"

The story went on: "One furious policeman who witnessed Saturday's carnage stormed: 'As we struggled in appalling conditions to save lives, fans standing further up the terrace were openly urinating on us and the bodies of the dead."

A 'high-ranking' police officer was quoted as saying: "The fans were just acting like animals. My men faced a double hell - the disaster and the fury of the fans who attacked us."

Kenny Dalglish, then Liverpool manager, later addressed the story in his autobiography:

"When the Sun came out with the story about Liverpool fans being drunk and unruly underneath a headline 'The Truth,' the reaction on Merseyside was one of complete outrage. Newsagents stopped stocking the Sun. People wouldn't mention its name. They were burning copies of it. Anyone representing the Sun was abused.

"Sun reporters and photographers would lie, telling people they worked for the Liverpool Post and Echo. There was a lot of harassment of them because of what had been written. The Star had gone a bit strong as well, but they apologised the next day. They knew the story had no foundation. Kelvin MacKenzie, the Sun's editor, even called me up.

"'You know that big headline - 'The Truth',' I replied. 'All you have to do is put 'We lied' in the same size. Then you might be all right.'

"That was it. I put the phone down. Merseysiders were outraged by the Sun. A great many still are."

It was four years later that the then publicity-averse Kelvin MacKenzie went public for the first time about the calamitous decision to call Liverpudlians liars and thieves who preyed off the dying and dead.

"I regret Hillsborough," he said. "It was a fundamental mistake. The mistake was I believed what an MP said. It was a Tory MP. If he had not said it and the chief superintendent had not agreed with it, we would not have gone with it," he told the Commons national heritage committee in January, 1993.

However, the Hillsborough survivors' group felt his words amounted to a less than sufficient apology.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/jul/07/pressandpublishing.football1?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487
      Seen this image many times but he looks a bigger c**t everytime.
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #9: Dec 25, 2011 12:01:51 pm
      Nobody buys the sun its only a matter of time before it closes  :laugh:
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #10: Dec 25, 2011 01:03:22 pm
      ""I regret Hillsborough," he said. "It was a fundamental mistake. The mistake was I believed what an MP said. It was a Tory MP. If he had not said it and the chief superintendent had not agreed with it, we would not have gone with it," he told the Commons national heritage committee in January, 1993."

Thats not an apology, thats blaming someone else, as he done again since, the last time he blamed the Liverpool press...a claim which he retracted pretty quick when threatened with legal action for another lie.
      So again the pr**k lies and tries to blame someone else.
      The man cannot even lay straight in bed....and i use the term man loosely.

JFT96..YNWA
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #11: Dec 26, 2011 06:29:12 am
      Quote from staffletop
      ""I regret Hillsborough," he said. "It was a fundamental mistake. The mistake was I believed what an MP said. "

It was no mistake. He already had a vendetta against the people of Liverpool, and used his publication to vent his anger, at the most insensitive time. He sat in his office for a long time wondering what headline to go with. He went with his second choice, even though his reporters and staff told him not to. It was the worst article ever written in the history of journalism.

He wasn't alone that day, other press went strong on the disaster, but owned up and apologised. They have tried to apologise since, but are handicapped by his personal anti-Liverpool stance which has never changed. No full and frank apology has ever been given by him, qualified apologies are useless and unacceptable.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #12: Dec 27, 2011 04:25:44 pm
      It was no mistake. He already had a vendetta against the people of Liverpool, and used his publication to vent his anger, at the most insensitive time. He sat in his office for a long time wondering what headline to go with. He went with his second choice, even though his reporters and staff told him not to. It was the worst article ever written in the history of journalism.

He wasn't alone that day, other press went strong on the disaster, but owned up and apologised. They have tried to apologise since, but are handicapped by his personal anti-Liverpool stance which has never changed. No full and frank apology has ever been given by him, qualified apologies are useless and unacceptable.
      The arrogance of the odious b***ard is breathtaking, fundamentally he does not accept to this day he was mistaken and the blame for the situation he finds himself in is put squarely on the shoulders of those involved in the Hillsborough tragedy.
      Even more damning is the fact that he regards it as being a self inflicted catastrophe with the authorities being blameless for the unending horror, still alive and well because of creatures like McKenzie and Murdoch - children of Satan.   
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Dec 28, 2011 05:57:11 pm
      Our new signing Jordan Ibe just said on twitter what is the problem with the sun, the lad needs better advice about what not to post about on twitter
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: Dec 28, 2011 06:00:29 pm
      Our new signing Jordan Ibe just said on twitter what is the problem with the sun, the lad needs better advice about what not to post about on twitter

So we educate, not pillory the young lad.  Simple as.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #15: Dec 28, 2011 06:04:06 pm
      You know twitter though Rod, he should be pulled off it for the night and educated about Hillsborough just for his own sake, just said there sure I wasn't even alive when it happened. Afraid he may say something he regrets later, agree with you though
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #16: Dec 28, 2011 06:06:40 pm
      The lads getting a lot of abuse off Liverpool fans now on twitter
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #17: Dec 28, 2011 06:12:58 pm
      The lads getting a lot of abuse off Liverpool fans now on twitter

Brainless gits.

He's just a kid, if he wasn't brought up a Red, it's obvious he might not be aware of the campaign.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: Dec 28, 2011 06:21:09 pm
      Exactly ayrton, the lad is only 16, fans should be trying to educate him rather than abuse them
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #19: Dec 28, 2011 06:39:46 pm
      Think hes deleted his twitter now cos of that (?)

As has been said above, hes only a kid, if your not brought up a Liverpool fan the message about the s*n isn't as clear as we would like to think.

Some of the sh*te he was getting there was over the top.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #20: Dec 28, 2011 08:26:35 pm
      Really out of order, the lad is not even from this country, there are 16 year old's in this country who are completely oblivious to the tragedy'
      Some enlightenment is all that's needed.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #21: Jan 20, 2012 04:23:54 pm
      Stuck some posters up in my school about this today.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #22: Mar 03, 2012 11:13:10 am

I love that guy,
      On my dart board.

Quick Reply