Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Celtic Fans against Anti Sectarianism

Read 5717 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Celtic Fans against Anti Sectarianism
      Reply #23: Oct 14, 2011 04:44:20 pm
      To be honest Diego, I wouldn't say Fields of Athenry is sectarian. But songs like Boys of the Old Brigade or the Billy Boys is more likely to be considered contentious. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: Oct 15, 2011 11:24:39 am
      To be honest Diego, I wouldn't say Fields of Athenry is sectarian. But songs like Boys of the Old Brigade or the Billy Boys is more likely to be considered contentious. 

Exactly mate. It's all about context and what offends - personally I don't know anyone who gets offended by The Fields Of Athenry. Songs about the IRA, at a football match, are designed to offend. 'The Billy Boys' - "We're up to our knees in fenian blood; Surrender or you'll die" - designed to offend. Plain and simple.

Dress it up what ever way you want - these songs when sung at opposing fans, at a football match, are designed to offend. The 'fans' who sign them know what they're doing. We all know what their at - to pretend otherwise is disingenuous; to give excuse to them or be an apologist for them - wrong.

I wonder, if some F***ing wum opened a thread by asking for us to sign a petition against Bulgarian fans being jailed for incitement of racial hatred, how long it would last.

One is either against sectarianism or one's not.  I've Zero tolerance for this sh*te and see it as being no different from Racism.

higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #25: Oct 15, 2011 11:39:49 am
      Exactly mate. It's all about context and what offends - personally I don't know anyone who gets offended by The Fields Of Athenry. Songs about the IRA, at a football match, are designed to offend. 'The Billy Boys' - "We're up to our knees in fenian blood; Surrender or you'll die" - designed to offend. Plain and simple.

Dress it up what ever way you want - these songs when sung at opposing fans, at a football match, are designed to offend. The 'fans' who sign them know what they're doing. We all know what their at - to pretend otherwise is disingenuous; to give excuse to them or be an apologist for them - wrong.

I wonder, if some f**king wum opened a thread by asking for us to sign a petition against Bulgarian fans being jailed for incitement of racial hatred, how long it would last.

One is either against sectarianism or one's not.  I've Zero tolerance for this sh*te and see it as being no different from Racism.

Quality post mate! Living in this sh*te hole that is NI, we see the worst of it!

Catholic, Protestant, black or white, what the F**k is the difference! cu*ts!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #26: Oct 16, 2011 12:07:51 am

Exactly mate and as higgy said living in NI we have experienced sectariansim at it's worst.

It is naive to think that it doesn't exist and that many fans will want to go into a ground and chant sectarian songs, just as there are many would would like to go into grounds and chant racist songs but that doesn't make it right and to try and get people to sign a petition in favour of this is unacceptable in my opinion.

I really am surprised this thread passed moderation and can only guess it was to gauge opinion on the matter.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #27: Oct 16, 2011 08:57:40 am
      Exactly mate and as higgy said living in NI we have experienced sectarianism at it's worst.

It's nice to see N.I. Reds fans (from both sides of the divide) unite on this one mate. I guess in having the experience of living with this sh*te every day gives us more of a perspective.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Quick Reply